PDA

View Full Version : House with Detached Garage Suite? Where to find?

nobb
06-14-2014, 07:37 PM
I was curious on this particular style of house. It's basically a laned home with detached garage in the back and a full living suite ontop of the garage. Would be a pretty sweet bachelor pad since you can live ontop of the garage and rent out the main home.

I think McKenzie had this style of house a while back, not sure where I can find them these days as a new build. Anyone know of more info? More specifically, if they are still building this style of house anywhere in town and pricing.

black_2.5RS
06-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Garrison for sure. I was looking at a few not long ago.

Euro838
06-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Currie Barracks allows these. I believe there are duplexes that they are building that have the full garage suite option. I am not sure if you can build a duplex and full garage suites on an R2 lot.

84Aquarius
06-14-2014, 10:03 PM
In Airdire, there is a section of Bayside/Canals on the West side of town that has several streets of houses like these. I believe a few are up for sale and can be viewed on real estate websites to see prices.

danno
06-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Elgin has them, my sister lived above the garage for a couple years. I think she rented it for $1000 a month, crazy to me but what can you do. If you want the exact location pm me and I'll let you know.

jaeden
06-14-2014, 10:21 PM
McKenzie Towne also has them on Prestwick Dr. SE

Not sure if anywhere else. Haven't heard of any new builds having that.

Black Gts
06-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Someone just bought a house with a 3 car garage and has already applied for permits to do this a block away from me. Obviously not a beyonder lol, but it's McKenzie towne there all over here.

nobb
06-15-2014, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Any ideas on pricing range? I am assuming that these are being built on larger R2 lots and won't be cheap. Most likely more expensive than a typical two storey double attached garage house of comparable sq.ft. Also I wonder how resale is on these since it's a bit unique.

TimLacroix
06-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by nobb
Thanks for the feedback.

Any ideas on pricing range? I am assuming that these are being built on larger R2 lots and won't be cheap. Most likely more expensive than a typical two storey double attached garage house of comparable sq.ft. Also I wonder how resale is on these since it's a bit unique.

Yes they are built on R2 lots.

Price range for the garage/ carriage suite to build is probably $100-$200k (depends on size/ features). We have a carriage suite and 10 years ago it was about $80k to build new (with the house).

Resale is great for these properties. They do not last long due on market to revenue / income generated.

jaeden
06-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Prestwick ones are zoned Direct Control. Not sure about the rest.

From CoC website: (http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Pages/Calgary-Land-Use-bylaw-1P2007/Calgary-Land-Use-Bylaw-1P2007.aspx)

Direct control designation

The designation that leads to the most confusion is the Direct Control or DC designation. Unlike other designations, there is a different set of uses and rules for each of the numerous DC districts in the city. Each DC has a specific bylaw number reference which identifies the uses and rules.

A DC is a "custom made" or designation designed for one specific area or project only. It is still a legally bylawed land use district and any changes to the uses or rules require the full public hearing redesignation process.

You can try to find the zoning for a particular area here, but its a bit clumsy to navigate their system:

Land Use Bylaw 1P2007 maps (http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Pages/Planning-policy-information/Online-information/Land-Use-Maps-Bylaw-1P2007.aspx)

CapnCrunch
06-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by jaeden
Prestwick ones are zoned Direct Control. Not sure about the rest.

From CoC website: (http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Pages/Calgary-Land-Use-bylaw-1P2007/Calgary-Land-Use-Bylaw-1P2007.aspx)

You can try to find the zoning for a particular area here, but its a bit clumsy to navigate their system:

Land Use Bylaw 1P2007 maps (http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Pages/Planning-policy-information/Online-information/Land-Use-Maps-Bylaw-1P2007.aspx)

So according to that map, my home is zoned S-FUD, so I'm allowed to graze livestock or generate electricity up to 1 Megawatt.

DeleriousZ
06-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
1 Megawatt.

http://www.moviemango.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DrEmmetBrownBacktothefuture.jpg

Doc is displeased with this number.

schurchill39
06-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Auburn Bay has a whole bunch of them. You can see a few right off Seton blvd by the hospital.

nobb
06-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
Auburn Bay has a whole bunch of them. You can see a few right off Seton blvd by the hospital.

Thanks! Do you know if these are new builds or older units?

EG STyLeZ
06-16-2014, 10:02 PM
Quarry park has these

TomcoPDR
06-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by EG STyLeZ
Quarry park has these

http://www.remax.ca/ab/calgary-real-estate/na-76-quarry-dr-se-na-wp_id97788091-lst

I notice with garage suites, property price is adjusted to as if you're buying 2 properties anyways. (Ie. you might be better off buying a modest primary for yourself, and completely buying a separate rental for income).

There're quite a bit of rental property gurus here that might give you some insights of their cash positive rental empire. "Next to $0 down, unlimited rent increase potentials, zero downside, use equity from the rental to purchase personal beyond baller goods (heloc)"

nobb
06-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Oh man that's expensive. I was aiming for <$600k. But even that's pushing it as I wouldn't be comfortable renting out such an expensive unit. <$500k can get me a decent primary, but I was curious as to the possibility of spending a bit more on a place that can generate revenue.

As a young bachelor, garage space is more important than living space :D

Also, if any rental empire gurus care to share some tips I am more than willing to take you out for coffee.

sneek
06-16-2014, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by danno
Elgin has them, my sister lived above the garage for a couple years. I think she rented it for $1000 a month, crazy to me but what can you do. If you want the exact location pm me and I'll let you know.

My girlfriend is renting one for a tad more in Currie Barracks. The place is was well maintained but it does have a few drawbacks. She can hear the garage door open every morning. The other big drawback is that you would share a backyard with your landlord, so if you lose a bit of privacy.