PDA

View Full Version : Where to take a date for drinks/appetizers in downtown or Mission?

BMDUBS
06-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Hi Guys,

Looking for suggestions for drinks and appetizers in the Mission area or downtown/17th avenue to take a date? I am looking for something trendy but not too rowdy so that conversation can easily be had.

Please let me know your suggestions!

TIA :thumbsup:

xnvy
06-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Maybe a bit too casual but Hop In Brew? It's just outside of mission on 12th Ave.

93VR6
06-15-2014, 06:22 PM
I liked Anjeo, lots of different margarita flavours, tortilla chips and guacamole to share.

Graham_A_M
06-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
Maybe a bit too casual but Hop In Brew? It's just outside of mission on 12th Ave.

Yeah this is a pretty cozy place, decent in there. Great drink specials too.
:thumbsup:

woodywoodford
06-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Hop n brew can get pretty noisy depending on the night, I'd go for Model Milk myself

cyra1ax
06-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Anything in the downtown area, specifically around Stephen Ave?

Graham_A_M
06-15-2014, 09:24 PM
^Stephen Ave? Id say the Bank & Baron.
http://www.bankandbaronpub.com/

its not exactly "quiet" per se', but that building has an amazing history to it, and is ultra swank for a bar/pub. I go there lots with friends, the food is decent, service is 5/5 and the atmosphere is incredible, its a 2 story complex with full glass ceilings, and a super cool basement with a full on vault. It'll be a bit noisy for a date, but Id recommend the upper level for that, as it'll be way quieter then the 1st level. If you were to get a corner table, I think you'd be set.

jabjab
06-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Vin Room is good if you reserve an upstairs table

Maxx Mazda
06-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Xocolat is awesome for a really classy, quiet cocktail bar. She will be impressed.

Weapon_R
06-15-2014, 10:35 PM
ox and angela

wintonyk
06-15-2014, 10:38 PM
i am a big fan of milk tiger lounge on 4th st. I don't think they do appys though.

dirtsniffer
06-15-2014, 10:56 PM
Ive been to anejo a few times. Have a couple margaritas and some quacamole and you'll be set

msommers
06-15-2014, 11:25 PM
For Mission:
Upstairs at Wurst. Heard good things about Anejo but never been since I hate tequilla.

17th ave:
Ox and Angela, Borgo, Model Milk

jabjab
06-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Ox and Angela is fairly loud on a friday and saturday night so keep that in mind.

BavarianBeast
06-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Vin Room
Bistro 2210
Brava Bistro
Candella
Ox & Angela

All my favorite date spots from 17th ave/4th st and I've lived in Mission/Mount Royal for 26 years.

stockedfridge
06-16-2014, 02:28 PM
If you're looking for appetizers, Candela is great because of their tapas style. Haven't been since before the floods but it's a nice place for a date.

xnvy
06-16-2014, 02:44 PM
^How's the service?

The urbanspoon reviews (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1701832/restaurant/4th-Street/Candela-Lounge-Calgary) are pretty harsh on the service.

flipstah
06-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by msommers
For Mission:
Upstairs at Wurst. Heard good things about Anejo but never been since I hate tequilla.

17th ave:
Ox and Angela, Borgo, Model Milk

I'll agree with this.

If you go to Borgo, you can get Tutti Frutti after or a cup of coffee at Analog.

If you're hitting the Anejo side of Mission, Towa is a safe bet too.

gqmw
06-16-2014, 02:53 PM
First time I went to ox and angela I liked the food and atmosphere (probably two years ago). I went ox and angela again recently...food was pretty bad. Food came out cold, didn't taste good. It was busy but server only came once to top up water, didn't ask if I wanted another drink, I'm never going back again.

Otherwise, I agree with the other suggestions - vin, wurst, model milk.

bjstare
06-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Candela >> Ox and Angela. I've been to Candela a few times over the last few months, and it's consistently been good.

-1 for Milk Tiger. Unless you're a super hipster. Everyone in there was drinking PBR haha.

flipstah
06-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Milk Tiger is expensive too but it's nice.

PBR is disgusting. :barf:

Mitsu3000gt
06-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Vin Room, Candela, or Mercato. All fantastic date spots in Mission IMO.

Vin Room has a great rooftop patio as well if the weather permits.

I've been to all 3 places multiple times and have never been disappointed. Candela is my favorite.

For specifically drinks and appys though, Candela and Vin Room are better than Mercato, since that's basically their business model.

The Candy store and Menshi's (frozen yougurt) are a short walk from Candela or Vin Room as well if you want to grab some dessert, and you aren't far from the Elbow River pathway if you want a longer walk.

know1edge
06-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Vicious Circle was the best :(

+1 Milk Tiger
Last week we were going to check out Cafe Koi but ended up @ Living Room

Dumbass17
06-16-2014, 08:44 PM
tinder?

:poosie:

90_Shelby
06-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Boxwood

Same owners as River Cafe so the food is awesome, unique location and building yet, it's more casual. Located in Central Memorial Park.

Asian_defender
06-16-2014, 08:50 PM
+1 for mercato's

flipstah
06-16-2014, 10:29 PM
Cafe Koi on Thursday had rap improv. Pretty hilarious haha.

Boxwood is WAY off Mission or 17th lol. :rofl:

dirtsniffer
06-17-2014, 06:16 AM
? Its not like it is in Kensington.

Zhariak
06-17-2014, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by jabjab
Vin Room is good if you reserve an upstairs table

I second this! Vin Room is always a great time!

bjstare
06-17-2014, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
Boxwood

Same owners as River Cafe so the food is awesome, unique location and building yet, it's more casual. Located in Central Memorial Park.

I went there once for lunch at work. Not going back. They try too hard to be trendy, food was less than spectacular, portions were small, prices were high.

If your gf is kind of a douche, she'll probably love it.

Also, it's about the same distance from 17th as Candela is, not all that far.

msommers
06-17-2014, 10:04 AM
I like upstairs Wurst for a date for two reasons:

1) The food upstairs is great and good beer available. So even if she sucks then something is still enjoyable lol.

2) If she's a cool chick she'll want to check out the downstairs

I must be the only one who thinks that Milk Tiger is completely overrated. The mass quantity of hipster there doesn't help.

Mercato I absolutely love, but for appetizers and drinks it just doesn't do it for me. For dinner date, 100%! Actually maybe for the tarimasu I'd still go lol.

Darkane
06-17-2014, 10:14 AM
Come on Beyond.

OP pics of said date. Then we can determine where she needs to go.

woodywoodford
06-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Cafe Koi on Thursday had rap improv. Pretty hilarious haha.

Boxwood is WAY off Mission or 17th lol. :rofl:

Boxwoods like 4 blocks from 17th.....

I'll never go back there though. Shitty overpriced menu and the sandwich I got was TERRIBLE. The bread tasted stale, way too much mustard, and just an all round plain sandwich, like what I could half-ass at home. Not what you'd expect from ANY cafe, yet alone one priced like Boxwood is.

flipstah
06-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Well, he specified Mission or 17th. If he has a car, then there are way better places in Bridgeland IMO.

Black Pig for example, is a goodie :drool:

Boxwood was good in the beginning. I haven't been back though so sucks to hear the news :(

90_Shelby
06-17-2014, 06:31 PM
I'm surprised to hear the negative reviews for Boxwood. I'll have to go back and see if it has changed. :dunno:

cam_wmh
06-17-2014, 11:45 PM
I live in the area, and frequent many.

Milk Tiger: Hole in the Wall pub; some of you might hate on it, if you don't appreciate modern culture
Candella: Don't like the layout, no intimacy - great for high school reunions. Strive to replicate the tapas experience of the Basque, but swing/miss
Model Milk: lol at hating on the cities pinnacle winner. Quite the taste palette one must have.
Sunday Supper is always amazing. Old faithful for me.
Ox & Ang Decent, gets filled with young suburban moms around 7pm on Saturdays
Famosa Pizza is average, fun ambiance, great sorbet & gelato
Wurst I heard others suggest the upstairs; its almost a hidden gem as others skip right to the beerhall downstairs. I'm sure everyones done the Sausage Wing in the pub, but if not - gotta at least once.
Original JoesDecent pub
Mercato Treat a date here, and it'll be anal night at your place when you get home:thumbsup:
Boxwoord Haven't eaten, but drank. Awesome & cozy
Drum & Monkey one of my all time faves; for watching footy; goin for wings; or seeing old friends
Taste It was ok, I have to try again
Hop & BrewBeer only. Would not eat here.
Ming High School friends & I would go here for the political martinis; apparently reknowned for frequenting by our LBGT community; I'm indifferent, and still like to go for a late pop

MIght've missed some :dunno:

Oh, and all the Sushi sucks on 4th street.
(Tried to keep the venues to along the 4th/1st street corridors)

flipstah
06-18-2014, 07:35 AM
Saying Towa sucks is harsh. If you want terrible, Sakana or Sushi BBQ Inn. THAT is terrible. :barf:

I will agree on Model Milk and Drum & Monkey especially. Donkey Kong machine ftw!

BigShow
06-18-2014, 07:39 AM
Agree with above; the food at Boxwood is terrible. Thinking about the last sandwhich I had there gives me the chills, it was plain gross. It's not in Mission either.

JordanEG6
06-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Model Milk is pretty decent. The few times that I went, it was good and I had no complaints. Nice atmosphere too.

cam_wmh
06-18-2014, 08:52 PM
OH MY GOD, I forgot Burger Inn. haha, maybe not vintage date locale, but sometimes the ol' broad needs to be treated to a gut bomb.

Originally posted by flipstah
Saying Towa sucks is harsh. If you want terrible, Sakana or Sushi BBQ Inn. THAT is terrible. :barf:

I will agree on Model Milk and Drum & Monkey especially. Donkey Kong machine ftw!

Sorry Flip, I used to live less than a block from Towa & to me is the worst offender.

With that said, I feel I'm turning into one of those foody cunts.

flipstah
06-19-2014, 07:17 AM
Meh, that's fine haha. I'm just saying there are shittier places in Calgary. :)

Feruk
06-23-2014, 04:05 PM
I'd probably go to Cibo. Main reason being all the food is meant to be shared and some of the appies are alright. Beer is meh. I think it'd make for a cool first date atmosphere. Not really Mission, but also not far.

avishal26
06-23-2014, 09:09 PM
I went to Mercato based on the reviews here... awesome place! Great food and great service. A little too hot if you're going to be sitting close to the kitchen though haha

I couldn't believe the size of the double cut 24 ounce steak!!:eek: