PDA

View Full Version : SRT-4 Power??

Pages : [1] 2

Talies R
03-02-2004, 04:09 PM
What kind of power to the wheels does an SRT-4 have?

Ben
03-02-2004, 04:26 PM
I've seen several dynoplots of 225-232 stock @ the front wheels.

EK 2.0
03-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I've seen several dynoplots of 225-232 stock @ the front wheels.

I have seen as high as 240 @ the front...and as low as 215...

1badPT
03-02-2004, 05:06 PM
The 2004's are rated at 230 (2003's were 215) at the crank but whats odd is on the dyno, sometimes all of it gets to the wheels(the typical 20% drivetrain loss doesn't seem to apply). Either the people dynoing them aren't calibrating the dyno properly or DC is understating the actual power of the engine. Or maybe the transmission has zero friction :rolleyes: I dunno.

All I can say is there is no shortage of power for the size and weight of the car. Bone stock you should be able to run 14's maybe break into the 13's with slicks. And the suspension on it will let you drive it pretty mean on a track too.

LancerShelby
03-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
The 2004's are rated at 230 (2003's were 215) at the crank but whats odd is on the dyno, sometimes all of it gets to the wheels(the typical 20% drivetrain loss doesn't seem to apply). Either the people dynoing them aren't calibrating the dyno properly or DC is understating the actual power of the engine. Or maybe the transmission has zero friction :rolleyes: I dunno.

All I can say is there is no shortage of power for the size and weight of the car. Bone stock you should be able to run 14's maybe break into the 13's with slicks. And the suspension on it will let you drive it pretty mean on a track too.
Don't quote me on this, but the word is that lately they have been dyno testing their vehicles in the worst performance oriented atmosphere....100+F temps, intercooler heat soaked, humid air, higher altitude, etc..

1badPT
03-02-2004, 06:46 PM
ahh so more of a worst case scenario. that would explain the whp numbers that seem to exceed the rated engine hp.

Inthered
03-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Alot of manufacturers underrate their horsepower numbers on purpose. I really doubt that Dodge is that dumb to not know how to dyno in the right conditions.:rolleyes:

rice_eater
03-02-2004, 09:20 PM
it's underated for insurancepurposes

Talies R
03-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the numbers! :thumbsup: I'll add back to this discussion in alittle.

Phuqu
03-02-2004, 11:01 PM
What they say has been what you get at the wheels.

Stock my car dyno'd 230+hp.

The hp is nice but the torque is what makes it a blast.

cappachihngo
03-02-2004, 11:42 PM
hmm interesting numbers..

Phuqu
03-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Can't wait for Secret Street.

Talies R
03-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Phuqu
Can't wait for Secret Street.

:werd: !!

syeve
03-03-2004, 10:38 AM
I drove one, and without either some serious tires or some type of drag suspension set up, its pretty useless through 1st and second gear, it pulls hard through 3rd though. Tuff to say, although I really doubt 13 are possible with stage 1.

SickBastard
03-03-2004, 11:02 AM
I have seen one from the states all done up that dyno'ed 500whp:eek: . Could have gotten more they said but it had the stock clutch.

BigShow
03-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by SickBastard
I have seen one from the states all done up that dyno'ed 500whp:eek: . Could have gotten more they said but it had the stock clutch.

What exactly does "all done up" mean?

rc2002
03-03-2004, 02:42 PM
It's good to see that some manufacturers actually have the integrity to post true horsepower numbers... 230WHP is impressive, but in the end the car is still a neon.

switch
03-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
in the end the car is still a neon.

http://www.my-wrx.com/home/nasioc/trac_run2.jpg

BigShow
03-03-2004, 04:23 PM
hahahaha :rofl:

EK 2.0
03-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Dude that owned pic is hilarious....

I need one with a Talon on it now...:thumbsup:

el_fefes
03-03-2004, 04:30 PM
lol haha that's funny shit:rofl:

1badPT
03-03-2004, 05:12 PM
lol that's hilarious. I hate you now, but that's fucking funny :tongue:

switch
03-03-2004, 05:24 PM
http://www.my-wrx.com/home/nasioc/srt4_news03.jpg

1badPT
03-03-2004, 05:31 PM
first one was better :tongue:

and the 2004's have lsds :D

Boostn
03-03-2004, 05:52 PM
I wish Dodge would have taken the engine/tranny and stuffed it into something other than a Neon. I would consider buying one if that were the case. That said, it does perform rather impressively. I've seen a couple on the road recently with steel wheels and snow tires. The exhaust sounded kinda loud but it looked stock.

1badPT
03-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Well they did stuff that engine into a PT Cruiser but I'm guessing you probably don't think much more highly of that either :tongue:

Its clearly not just a neon though - i mean all thats left thats a neon is the chassis and the hand crank rear windows. Suspension, engine, body, seating, gauges, transmission, etc is new.

rogue
03-03-2004, 07:06 PM
the thing is it looks exactly like a neon and that is where they lose alot of interest. ahhhh well i am sure it is fun as hell to drive but i still wouldnt pay 28 g for a FAST neon.:poosie:

gwkwan
03-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by switch

http://www.my-wrx.com/home/nasioc/trac_run2.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
haha thats funny

LancerShelby
03-03-2004, 07:40 PM
but in the end the car is still a neon. You haven't driven one I see.....

LancerShelby
03-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by syeve
I drove one, and without either some serious tires or some type of drag suspension set up, its pretty useless through 1st and second gear 250wtq can be a bitch sometimes in a FWD:guns:

LancerShelby
03-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by rogue
the thing is it looks exactly like a neon and that is where they lose alot of interest. ahhhh well i am sure it is fun as hell to drive but i still wouldnt pay 28 g for a FAST neon.:poosie: How much did you pay for your slow ass SPEC-V:rolleyes: I'd roast you in my winter beater :guns:

finboy
03-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by LancerShelby
How much did you pay for your slow ass SPEC-V:rolleyes: I'd roast you in my winter beater :guns:

it's sad because it's true :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Phuqu
03-03-2004, 11:19 PM
It's good to see that some manufacturers actually have the integrity to post true horsepower numbers... 230WHP is impressive, but in the end the car is still a neon.

A WRX is still a Impreza.

An Evo is still a Lancer.

Have you seen the build quality on a Lancer? Think twice before you put an SRT against it. The SRT has way better build quality.

Hope you don't mind losing to a 'neon'.

:guns:

switch
03-04-2004, 07:54 AM
The SRT has way better build quality.

:rofl:

Phuqu
03-04-2004, 10:41 AM
Ever seen a Lancer?

Have you ever seen sat or driven in the SRT?

Side by side there is no comparison in build quality.

Probably bench testdrive like you bench race.

All you'll see is the tailights.

I'd still take my SRT over your Impreza.

:barf:

Phuqu
03-04-2004, 10:54 AM
See. The car is sooooo fast it's sickening.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=367814

1badPT
03-04-2004, 11:16 AM

The SRT has way better build quality.

:rofl:

Most of the Chrycos that have been re-engineered or introduced since 1998 are getting really positive reviews for build quality and some vehicles are even getting awards for it.

Granted build quality doesn't win a race, but the SRT-4, WRX and Evo would be fairly close at the drag strip, and I would think it would come down to driver skill on a paved track race. The WRX and Evo would have a big advantage in offroad/rallycross. You pay for that advantage though:
Evo 8 ~$40 thousand (using US pricing and exchanging it)
WRX STi ~$47 thousand
SRT-4 ~$28 thousand

EK 2.0
03-04-2004, 11:55 AM
D., I like the Neon SRT-4, great lil car for what you are shelling out for it, But i kinda have to argue about the closeness on the drag track, having the AWD in the EVO and the STi, I think they have more of an advantage cause they can launch far more agressively than the SRT...

But props to Dodge for making a car that for the money is a great contender in the Turbo Sport Compact Class...

syeve
03-04-2004, 12:09 PM
a drag race between an STi an Evo and a srt-4 would NOT be close. The SRT-4 can hold its own, but not against those cars.

1badPT
03-04-2004, 12:26 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/100430/page004.html

Stock SRT-4s can run low 14's. Yeah the STi and Evo will launch much better but the acceleration once all cars have grip is best on the SRT-4.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26137

1badPT
03-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
D., I like the Neon SRT-4, great lil car for what you are shelling out for it, But i kinda have to argue about the closeness on the drag track, having the AWD in the EVO and the STi, I think they have more of an advantage cause they can launch far more agressively than the SRT...

Its cool man. And yes I am biased in favour of the car, but I do know from the tons of material I've read on it that it can hold its own against those cars on pavement. It really doesn't have a chance offroad, but that hasn't stopped people from using it in rallycross hehe.

1badPT
03-04-2004, 03:38 PM
There are members here who own STi's and SRT-4's - maybe we can entice them to go to racecity to settle this ;) :D

GT2NV
03-04-2004, 03:55 PM
id buy an SRT-4' without question, very quick, for very cheap:thumbsup:

3g4me
03-04-2004, 04:05 PM

A WRX is still a Impreza.

An Evo is still a Lancer.

:guns:

And id take any of those over a srt4 any day. Something about power windows tickles me in the right spot.:thumbsup:

Phuqu
03-04-2004, 04:17 PM
SRT-4 has power windows.

Albeit in the front.

Who cares about passengers? They only complain your driving too fast.

And I'll put my car against any Impreza or Lancer.

And it will be at RaceCity.

If I lose then props to the winner.

Dan

Redlyne_mr2
03-04-2004, 04:25 PM
I really like the srt4's, with no spoiler, black on black and some dark rims that thing would look mean. For some reason I keep picturing that faggy yellow whenever I think about the car though

3g4me
03-04-2004, 04:38 PM
SRT-4 has power windows.

Albeit in the front.

Who cares about passengers? They only complain your driving too fast.

And I'll put my car against any Impreza or Lancer.

And it will be at RaceCity.

If I lose then props to the winner.

Dan

No shit who cares about the passangers? :D
Im sure you will beat an impreza and im for sure you will beat a lancer, but if we start talking about there big brothers, there is no way youll take an evo, or sti. You gota put it in perspective man.:burnout:

Talies R
03-04-2004, 04:42 PM
There are members here who own STi's and SRT-4's - maybe we can entice them to go to racecity to settle this ;) :D

Yep, we need a show down.

Toms-Celica
03-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Show down or STFU

switch
03-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Don't get me wrong Phuqu, the SRT-4 is a really fast car for the price.

But I didn't buy a car solely for 1/4 mile times, I could care less. I like to turn the odd corner here and there without wrapping my car around a tree.

Either way its still a Neon that will not hold its value.

Buy a 2003 Neon SRT-4 and a 2003 Impreza WRX, hold on to them for 5 years with the same driving habits. Sell both and see how much more you get back (% wise) with an import over domestic.

To each his own.

gwkwan
03-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Don't get me wrong Phuqu, the SRT-4 is a really fast car for the price.

But I didn't buy a car solely for 1/4 mile times, I could care less. I like to turn the odd corner here and there without wrapping my car around a tree.

Either way its still a Neon that will not hold its value.

Buy a 2003 Neon SRT-4 and a 2003 Impreza WRX, hold on to them for 5 years with the same driving habits. Sell both and see how much more you get back (% wise) with an import over domestic.

To each his own.
so true
whuz the fun if it only could go fast in a straight line
if i wanna feel the acceleration
why dont i just go ride on the plane
n its also true that
a cheap car will always be a cheap car

Skyline_Addict
03-04-2004, 06:33 PM
yeah.
as it stands, imports, in a general perspective are significantly better than domestics.
taking into account that good displacement is just one of MANY credible aspects of a car.... could you really say that domestics are better than imports?
not right now, atleast.

finboy
03-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by gwkwan

so true
whuz the fun if u could only go fast straight
n its also true that
a cheap car will always be a cheap car

why does everyone think neon's handle like garbage? there are few members on here who frequently autocross theirs.

1badPT
03-04-2004, 06:53 PM
For real - yo its cool if you don't like the car, but don't say it sucks at something that that it is good at. I'd link you guys to some slalom numbers but I won't waste my time because you'll either not read it or not understand it. Its not "just a neon" with a turbo engine - all performance components were upgraded (suspension, brakes, tires, etc).

gwkwan
03-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Its not "just a neon" with a turbo engine - all performance components were upgraded (suspension, brakes, tires, etc).
yes its
why does it look a neon?
why why why
even the structure r the same

LancerShelby
03-04-2004, 07:40 PM
And I'll put my car against any Lancer.

Really ????? Hmmmm:D

Inthered
03-04-2004, 07:58 PM
don't srt-4's have like zero camber in the front? That thing would handle like shit if it did.

speedracer
03-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by finboy

why does everyone think neon's handle like garbage? there are few members on here who frequently autocross theirs.

Simply many folks like to keyboard race. Opinions differ fast when your on the track for some reason.... :dunno: :drama:
http://www.speedracer.ca/html/modules/gallery/albums/album105/20524013_CNACbrando2.jpg

Here's the shameless plug -
The seasons starting soon with May 6 as the Rookie School. Come out - Last year was a record year for participation :)

www.cscc.ab.ca

Originally posted by gwkwan

so true
whuz the fun if it only could go fast in a straight line
n its also true that
a cheap car will always be a cheap
:english:
So where does Civic, Integras, Protege... fit?
As for handling - do some research before posting. or use this http://forums.beyond.ca/images/top_search.gif

finboy
03-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Inthered
don't srt-4's have like zero camber in the front? That thing would handle like shit if it did.

adjustable camber plates, problem solved.

googe
03-04-2004, 09:37 PM

Stock SRT-4s can run low 14's. Yeah the STi and Evo will launch much better but the acceleration once all cars have grip is best on the SRT-4.

STIs can run high 12s, stock in very favorable conditions. More commonly 13.1ish. EVOs not far behind at all. 13.3ish.

I like the SRT4 for what it is, but comparing it to EVOs and STIs is silly...

then again, of course Im horribly biased

Phuqu
03-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Well it looks like we'll race at Racecity then.

I'll post my best timeslip and you can post yours.

Biased is one thing. Narrow minded is another. Let's hope your just biased. :burnout:

I don't care if an Impreza can run high 12's stock in favourable conditions. I want to see what these Imprezas can run up here.

Same track, same altitude.

buh_buh
03-05-2004, 12:18 AM
why is everyone so against the SRT-4 just because its a Neon? Didn't you all already learn your lesson when you saw that crappy Hon-duh run low 12's? Tsk tsk. Who cares what kind of car it is. Its a fast car, it costs a fraction of what a STi costs, and you can mod it through a dealer and keep your warranty. What more could you ask for? Why can't you guys admit its a good car?

GT2NV
03-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
why is everyone so against the SRT-4 just because its a Neon? Didn't you all already learn your lesson when you saw that crappy Hon-duh run low 12's? Tsk tsk. Who cares what kind of car it is. Its a fast car, it costs a fraction of what a STi costs, and you can mod it through a dealer and keep your warranty. What more could you ask for? Why can't you guys admit its a good car? :werd: so true

Redlyne_mr2
03-05-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
why is everyone so against the SRT-4 just because its a Neon? Didn't you all already learn your lesson when you saw that crappy Hon-duh run low 12's? Tsk tsk. Who cares what kind of car it is. Its a fast car, it costs a fraction of what a STi costs, and you can mod it through a dealer and keep your warranty. What more could you ask for? Why can't you guys admit its a good car?
:werd: If I was in the market for a car in that price range it would either be the srt4 or the mazdaspeed, tough call. I wouldnt even consider anything Nissan or Honda

5.9 R/T
03-05-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

:werd: If I was in the market for a car in that price range it would either be the srt4 or the mazdaspeed, tough call. I wouldnt even consider anything Nissan or Honda

IMO the mazdaspeed is garbage.

finboy
03-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Well it looks like we'll race at Racecity then.

I'll post my best timeslip and you can post yours.

Biased is one thing. Narrow minded is another. Let's hope your just biased. :burnout:

I don't care if an Impreza can run high 12's stock in favourable conditions. I want to see what these Imprezas can run up here.

Same track, same altitude.

this summer at race city, a brand new sti was running 14.1-14.2 all night with different drivers.

Phuqu
03-05-2004, 01:27 AM
Thank you.

I was looking for fairly realistic times. This is good to know that someone remembers what it/they ran.

I'm hoping for a really low 14. 13.9x would be nice with some DR's.

But regardless of all the talk it will be interesting to see what the SRT-4's will be running at Racecity.

googe
03-05-2004, 01:40 AM
does it make sense that car A, which is at least a full second slower than car B at sea level, is suddenly faster than car B at a higher altitude? :dunno:

Phuqu
03-05-2004, 01:52 AM
It can make sense if one is NA and the other is forced induction.

A forced induction car will lose less power then a NA at higher altitudes.

What cars were you thinking of??

Car A= ?
Car B= ?

buh_buh
03-05-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
IMO the mazdaspeed is garbage.
Its supposed to be a very good handling car, and someone on this forum has ran low 14's in it with minor mods. Not too bad in my books. :)

Originally posted by googe
does it make sense that car A, which is at least a full second slower than car B at sea level, is suddenly faster than car B at a higher altitude? :dunno: what so you claim that the STi didn't run those times? I ran against that STi that night at SS he ran low 14's and high 13's, and what finboy says is true. I believe both the owner of the car and the other driver of the car are both on the forum as well.

googe
03-05-2004, 03:31 AM
It can make sense if one is NA and the other is forced induction.

A forced induction car will lose less power then a NA at higher altitudes.

What cars were you thinking of??

Car A= ?
Car B= ?

srt4 and sti, obviously :rolleyes:

Phuqu
03-05-2004, 09:41 AM
There has been no SRT-4 run at Racecity at all. There has been no documented actual timeslip from a 2004 SRT-4 here in Calgary.

They didn't arrive until after Racecity shut down. So any time you think the SRT-4 will run is just an estimate.

An estimated time is all you have.

Compare any times you want.

I don't see your point of Car A being the SRT and Car B being an Impreza.

There haven't been any run here to compare the two at the same conditions.

It will all be settled when Racecity has Secret Street open again.

Anything else is just bench racing.

If it's any indication from actual dyno runs it will be very close. I've got Dynojet runs from my car with actual wheel horsepower if you would like to compare those with your Car B.

googe
03-05-2004, 02:28 PM
hmm, you must have not understood what i said.

anyway, this is getting dumb, so we best just leave it alone for now.

1badPT
03-05-2004, 03:18 PM
:werd: :closed:

I honestly think it would be close but I hope whenever you guys do decide to do this to let us know cuz that will definitely be worth the trip to race city :D

SickBastard
03-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by BigShow

What exactly does "all done up" mean? Everything possible done. Turbo upgrade and all the bolt ons. DOnt know too much about it.

90_Shelby
03-05-2004, 05:05 PM
They didn't arrive until after Racecity shut down. So any time you think the SRT-4 will run is just an estimate.

I went cruising in an SRT-4 with stage 1 last summer in Calgary.

LancerShelby
03-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby

I went cruising in an SRT-4 with stage 1 last summer in Calgary. Did you get to drive it...............................NO? Then you got nothing:tongue: BUDDY!!

googe
03-07-2004, 05:23 AM

ill disagree with that. everyone on srtforums.com that ive seen talking shares the opinion that an sti or an evo will pull from a roll too. read some of their race stories.

anyway, i finally found one of these things. me vs srt4, from a roll, me below my powerband, gave him a nod, he punched it before i did giving him about a car length, i punch it, pull up to him, shift, and pull away. several car lengths.

twice.

now imagine from a stop :D

dollar to power ratio though nothing beats an srt4. those a very cool cars.

syeve
03-07-2004, 12:59 PM
70 hp and AWD, sorry, there is no way an SRT-4 could keep up to an STi, off the line or rolling. I have driven an SRT-4 and been in an STi and there is no comparison. NONE. A stage 2 or 3 SRT-4 might be different, but then the FF would really start to hurt. Traction already sucks on a stock SRT-4. :dunno:

I've seen races between a new Mustang Cobra and a STi, and that was close, how is an SRT-4 gonna keep up?

tedstriker
03-07-2004, 03:00 PM
it isn't a 70hp difference. srt-4's have "230 at the wheels" stock. I think an STI, and Evo's has about the same. from a roll srt's, evo's and sti's are about the same. I'ts all launch. anyone with a sti or an evo care to chime in? I have a 2004 srt-4.

1badPT
03-07-2004, 03:20 PM
The STi and Evo have the advantage and yes they should win the race. My point all along has been that it should be close - within half a second. We'll see for sure when they race - till then its all guessing. I'm looking forward to seeing it though, right or wrong :D

googe
03-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by tedstriker
it isn't a 70hp difference. srt-4's have "230 at the wheels" stock. I think an STI, and Evo's has about the same. from a roll srt's, evo's and sti's are about the same. I'ts all launch. anyone with a sti or an evo care to chime in? I have a 2004 srt-4.

did you not read what i just said? :)

scroll up 2 posts...

anyway, no because the SRT4s are so underrated, its alot less than 70hp difference. on a dynojet type dyno SRT4s get 220-230ish @ the wheels, and on a dynapack, (dont know if there are AWD dynojets?) which reads similar to a dynojet (i actually heard they read a bit lower, but i dont know), STIs are 250-260ish. the SRT4 does have a weight advantage though.

syeve
03-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by tedstriker
from a roll srt's, evo's and sti's are about the same.

ok, your right

awddrifter
03-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Its the general concensus from what I've read on evolutionm, NASIOC, and srtforums that an EVO and an SRT-4 will be about even from a roll if both are stock. The STi will be slightly faster from a roll then both. From a stop, theres no competition between the Srt-4 and the EVO & STi. The EVO and STi will pull ahead by a few cars off the line if they do an AWD launch, and the SRT-4 might pass the two cars somewhere north of 140 mph, or stay behind the whole way.

At sea level, in the same conditions...
The STi usually runs somewhere near 13.1 @ 102 mph, some have been known to run high 12's stock.
The EVO usually runs 13.3-13.4 @ 100 mph, some have run 13.1 and 13.0.
The SRT-4 usually runs around 14.1-14.3 @100 mph, some have run 13.9's.

This is all STOCK im speaking about here too.

tedstriker
03-07-2004, 04:16 PM
I think that sounds pretty reasonable. how about you guys? lol

CRXguy
03-07-2004, 05:12 PM
My point all along has been that it should be close - within half a second.

Do you know how much of a difference 1/2 a second is at those speeds? It's definitely not close.

rogue
03-07-2004, 05:57 PM
ahhhh all this comparison talkin is shit and when you race at race city it dont mean shit about the car it is obviosly the driver you have to take you tests from the magazines or websites that have teh same driver test each car. if you want to compare and srt to your car go test drive one (when the weather is good) my buddy sells dodges and said it is fast but way over hyped. You will go in there with supercar ambitions now thanks to all these dodge super freaks and will be very dissappointed when you just get a very quick neon. You will love it for a wile but when you will prolly get sick of it after awile when you roll by a big window downtown and see your 28yrs old ass rollin a neon ( and dont bother flaming me i feel stupid driving my dumbass spec-v tooo :D ) i only got my ride cause mine was stolen and needed a car on the spot. IMO all of these cars a great deals srt-4 (bang for buck not sure how it will hold up in the future though) spec-v (it is truly cheap and also great bang for buck) mazdaspeed (you get alot of goodies on this one and looks best of class i think and kickass stereo) focus svt and it think that is it honda has really dragged their sorry asses in these last years.

Redlyne_mr2
03-07-2004, 06:18 PM
ahhhh all this comparison talkin is shit and when you race at race city it dont mean shit about the car it is obviosly the driver you have to take you tests from the magazines or websites that have teh same driver test each car. if you want to compare and srt to your car go test drive one (when the weather is good) my buddy sells dodges and said it is fast but way over hyped. You will go in there with supercar ambitions now thanks to all these dodge super freaks and will be very dissappointed when you just get a very quick neon. You will love it for a wile but when you will prolly get sick of it after awile when you roll by a big window downtown and see your 28yrs old ass rollin a neon ( and dont bother flaming me i feel stupid driving my dumbass spec-v tooo :D ) i only got my ride cause mine was stolen and needed a car on the spot. IMO all of these cars a great deals srt-4 (bang for buck not sure how it will hold up in the future though) spec-v (it is truly cheap and also great bang for buck) mazdaspeed (you get alot of goodies on this one and looks best of class i think and kickass stereo) focus svt and it think that is it honda has really dragged their sorry asses in these last years.
Actually magazine reviews dont mean anything IMO, the performance of a car is ultimately only as good as the skills of its driver..for 27K what else is better?

j_gor78
03-07-2004, 07:14 PM
All I am going to say is if you want bang for your buck buy an srt-4 it comes with a friggin 7 year warranty!!!:eek: Bag the hell out of it for 6 and sell it buy a new one...simple math on that one...Dodge says go ahead try and break it we will cover it under warranty....when mitsu and subaru give that same guarantee I will cough up the 20-30k more for those two cars

SickBastard
03-07-2004, 07:32 PM
I would buy an SRT-4 if I were looking for a new car in that price range. To me the real test is to see how well and long the engines last under abuse.

CalgarySS
03-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Hmmm, are the stage 1-2-3 upgrades available in Canada yet?

I, for one, would love to drive a srt-4.

I come from a different mindset, however... I race trucks.

adrianracer
03-07-2004, 09:48 PM
the thing is it looks exactly like a neon and that is where they lose alot of interest. ahhhh well i am sure it is fun as hell to drive but i still wouldnt pay 28 g for a FAST neon.:poosie:

You obviously haven't seen one as the Front Bumper, Hood, Side Sills, Rear Bumper and Wing are all exclusive and significally different visually than the "SX" models. It shouldn't be long until you see the rear end!

adrianracer
03-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me

No shit who cares about the passangers? :D
Im sure you will beat an impreza and im for sure you will beat a lancer, but if we start talking about there big brothers, there is no way youll take an evo, or sti. You gota put it in perspective man.:burnout:

Here's perspective:

SRT-4 - $27,795
STI - $46,995
EVO 8- $42,000+ Approx CDN
:drama:

googe
03-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by adrianracer

Here's perspective:

SRT-4 - $27,795
STI - $46,995
EVO 8- $42,000+ Approx CDN
:drama:

where'd you get 42+ for for the evo? its MSRP converted to canadian dollars is only 38

Phuqu
03-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by CalgarySS
Hmmm, are the stage 1-2-3 upgrades available in Canada yet?

I, for one, would love to drive a srt-4.

I come from a different mindset, however... I race trucks.

Stage 1 is available right now and has been available for a few months. There are Stage 1 SRT's and GT Cruisers in town.

Stage 2 pricing has just been released. The release date rumoured to be April or May 1st.

http://www.mopar.com/images/stage2dyno.jpg

adrianracer
03-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by SickBastard
I would buy an SRT-4 if I were looking for a new car in that price range. To me the real test is to see how well and long the engines last under abuse.

Here are some links as to durability of the SRT-4 engine for those of you that are interested:
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0310scc_projneon/

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0309_srt/

Another article that I can't find right now is an interview with the allembly plant foreman, and they triple check every bolt on the engine before install.
Hope you enjoy these reads.

adrianracer
03-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by googe

where'd you get 42+ for for the evo? its MSRP converted to canadian dollars is only 38

You are right, Mitsu is a great deal in Canada as the conversion is only 1.30 to Canadian $. But.... it is still over $10,000 more?
Nice car though!

rogue
03-08-2004, 01:32 AM
actually i have seen it and you can easily tellit is based on a sx 2.0 platform unless you dont know shit about cars or are just plain blind. I am not saying that the car isnt fast just not same catagory as evo or sti. For 27 i agree redlyne you wont find a more fun car (with warrenty that is) if you dont care about warranty you can throw a turbo on a spec and for 28 to 29 grand you can have around 300 whp:)

heavyD
03-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Ha Ha Ha! I've been keeping my eye on this thread for a while out of curiosity. You guys should just quit the bench racing already!

I respect the SRT-4 for its performance to price ratio but comparing it to an EVO VIII or STi is just plain ignorant. You guys have to realize that even if the SRT-4 made 600 HP it wouldn't matter because it's FWD!!!!! Unless you do all your racing from a roll you will lose to AWD cars with less power just because you can't put all of the power to the ground on a launch. Take a look at the fastest sport compacts in alberta, they are AWD Eagle Talons.

Stock EVO & STi's run low 13 sec 1/4 miles stock which is faster than a stock SRT-4 so what are you guys arguing about. It's pointless!

BTW, the SRT-4 will be scrapped at the end of the current Neon run anyway as Chrysler & Mitsubishi are joining forces again on another AWD venture. Should be interesting.

tedstriker
03-08-2004, 09:26 AM
I don't think anyone said any different. But thanks for summing up.