PDA

View Full Version : New to the Bike world

Zetsu
06-16-2014, 03:35 PM
I've been into tuning and driving JDMs hard for a while. But, I'd like to switch it up for the summer and get a bit into street bikes. I have some little experience dirt biking and that from when I was younger. I'd like to get started into something small-ish (i.e. ~600CC). Main reason I'm looking to start small is to not tempt myself too much into over doing it well I'm fresh on the roads.

ANYWAYS. I'm looking for advice on what to look for when checking out privately sold bikes, opinions on what to pay for Price:Kilometer etc. What are opinions on good starter bikes. I love the look of R6's and GSX-r's and that. Not a huge Ninja fan, don't mind CBR's. But, this is just all from my own speculation on these bikes. I would appreciate any and all advice!

-Thanks!

bjstare
06-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Search for one of the billion threads on this.

Take home points:

-If you start on a 600 supersport, you still have to be smart about it. They have more than enough power to kill yourself or someone else.

-Suggested first rides: ninja 650R, SV650, maybe an FZ8. They are fast enough to be fun, easier to handle than a supersport.

-Set aside budget for good gear. All gear including: Boots, pants, jacket, gloves, GOOD helmet. Don't ride in jeans and a hoodie, trust me, I know from experience that stuff doesn't protect you.

Zetsu
06-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
Search for one of the billion threads on this.
-Set aside budget for good gear. All gear including: Boots, pants, jacket, gloves, GOOD helmet. Don't ride in jeans and a hoodie, trust me, I know from experience that stuff doesn't protect you.

Thanks, yeah gear is definitely a priority!

16hypen3sp
06-16-2014, 04:22 PM
cj summed it up nicely.

Just be careful on a 600. I've seen shit hit the fan on the little bikes too. I road motocross for years before jumping on a road bike. The experience helped for sure.

Welcome to the club!

Graham_A_M
06-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Yeah, next time search please, as Ive lost count as to how many of these "new to riding/wanting to get a bike" type threads Ive seen or chimed in on.

For bikes, do NOT get a CBR125. You'll outgrow it in a week, three at the absolute most, then you'll want to sell it. Thats why you see so many CBR125's on Kijiji with 1300km's or less on them.... because people find out that their basically useless as their top speed is 120~, depending on how big of a lunch you had.

Blackfoot has two used (medium blue) Ninja 500's, Both are $4200. Those are wicked bikes to learn on, and like the other ones suggested above this post, they're still fun to ride, yet powerful enough, and not overly heavy.

Much the same with Honda's new CBR500, or even their 250. All the bikes listed so far are twin cylinders, asides from the CBR125 & 250, which is just a single cyl.

So they'll all be quite light and usable on the roads and the highways as well.

Zetsu
06-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Friends of mine who ride are telling me I'll hate a 600CC and I should go bigger lol. I thought I was being safe with a 600, but if I should start smaller I will. Also, I should mention I'm about 230ibs over 6 feet tall so I will weigh it down a bit.

Zetsu
06-16-2014, 04:30 PM
I apologize for not searching before posting, I'm usually a stickler for that kind of stuff. Was just at work and thought I'd make a quick post.

civic_stylez
06-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Zetsu
Friends of mine who ride are telling me I'll hate a 600CC and I should go bigger lol. I thought I was being safe with a 600, but if I should start smaller I will. Also, I should mention I'm about 230ibs over 6 feet tall so I will weigh it down a bit.

People who are telling you that are unskilled riders that just crack the throttle and try and go as fast as they can. The real skill is actually learning to RIDE a bike. Any loser can go fast in a straight line. Google Moto3. Those bikes are 250CC and still go like hell. There are VERY few people who can ride the wheels off a 600 let alone a 250. A 600 is a light bike and is very nimble compared to a 1000cc. I rode 600's for 5 years before moving to a 750. There is plenty of power and danger to keep you satisfied. If you find it getting slow, try taking a corner 5kmh faster, youll see that you have a long way to go. Best of luck in your serach and welcome to the community.

SecondReversal
06-16-2014, 04:43 PM
My suggestion if you want a true supersport style bike would be an '06 CBR600 Repliracer. Excellent styling, you can get them for a decent price on the secondary market, and I really prefer the throttle action on the Honda sportbikes, specifically from closed to very low throttle. I've got a first gen 600RR and I've taken it everywhere from here to Vancouver - Race tracks, secondary highways, decomissioned forestry roads - It's never let me down.

I find the Yamahas have an overly aggressive ride, just a bit too harsh for a lot of street riding even though those R6s look ace. I have very little experience with the GSX-R platform so I can't say much for you there other than the fact that they seem more maintenance intensive from what I've heard, but take that with a grain of salt. Any one of the major manufacturers will probably give you a good experience truth be told.

Something that's pretty important is actually sitting the type of bike you want to purchase to make sure that you're not overly cramped. I know some big guys that can ride sportbikes no problem, but I know just as many that say they can't stand the posture at all. Learning to use your thighs to grip the bike and take less strain off your back is pretty important in my experience - I can go about 800km (So, roughly eight hours with no significant breaks) on my CBR before I'm truly uncomfortable, but it was definitely less when I first got it.

Another thing to watch for, especially on a used bike, is play in second and third gear, and sloppy clutch action - Every rocket jockey at one point or another wants to try some wheelies, and excessive catwalking or excessively bad technique can do a number on your powertrain. I prefer to have the bike up on a track stand and run it through the gears a few times to see that there's a nice, positive actuation of the gearbox. The steels and friction plates in the clutch are easy enough to change, but who wants that hassle if you're not getting a killer price? The last obvious things to look for is excessive wear on the sprockets (hooking of the teeth) and warping of the front rotors. The rotors are the more important of the things to check but unfortunately unless the seller is cool with test pilots, very hard to diagnose. Rotors are hella expensive though, so if you *do* get to try before you buy, any constant and noticeable vibration in the front of the bike under breaking is something to watch out for.

But aye, it's something that bears repeating - Even a 600CC sportbike is making upwards of 100HP in a 400lb frame, so have a care with your throttle control.

revelations
06-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Suzuki sv650 and 1000 are GREAT beginner bikes. Very forgiving and easily modifiable to your specs.

carson blocks
06-16-2014, 06:17 PM
I personally hate riding supersport style bikes around town. For general riding, I'd take something like a FZ8 over any 600 as I'd rather have the more upright seating position and an engine with more low end. Most of the guys I see playing racer wannabe on supersport 600/1000 bikes have never seen a track and can't ride for shit anyways. Maybe I'm geting old, but I'm just not interested in Deerfoot commutes on a bike that forces me in to full tuck and makes all it's power north of 10,000rpm.

I like the SV suggestions above, or the FZ6/8. Even as a more experienced rider, I really liked the Kawi ER6n I rented overseas. I haven't ridden a FZ-07 yet, but with the features it offers for around $7k brand new it would be pretty hard to go wrong. All the above will have good power, especially for a newer rider, and will be a ton of fun at a good price point. Don't listen to the people who talk shit about needing a 1000 because they're 200lbs etc. I'm a damn sight heavier than that, and everything bigger than a CBR125 and some 250s work just fine for me. Even for a big guy on a small bike, your power to weight ratio is still way better than most cars out there.

More important than which stressing over bike you want, here's the best advice I can offer to a new rider. Take a good course, buy good gear, and don't ride like an asshole.

Rowdy
06-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Well this is going to be a bit of a rant and I am sorry about that. It's just that some of the comments you made always get under my skin when it comes to new people and bikes. It doesn't help I was just reading the thread about squids vs cagers. I get the spirit of your comments and I honestly am excited to hear someone else wants to get out on the road on two wheels. I love riding and can't imagine my life not spending time on two wheels. I also think its great that you are humble enough to state up front that your new to it and asking advice. Gives me confidence that you won't end up as "a douchebag on a crotch rocket", but someone I would be happy to ride with.

Time for the rant,

Why the fuck do people think buying a 600 supersport bike is entry level?? A good place for a beginner???

This is mainly a car forum so I will put it in car terms. All the 600 sport bikes in the last 5 years have basically had a wet weight of 400lbs and less. Have all been able to put down 100hp minimum at the back wheel. So basically 4 lb per HP. Lets put that in car terms. A 2014 Corvette will easily put down 425hp at the wheels with a wet weight of 3300lbs. 7.76lb per hp. Now your weight won't change between vehicles so I can ignore that. So with a bit of rounding I'm basically at the point of, a 600 supersport bike is almost double the power to weight of a new Vette. How logical is it to just toss the keys of a Corvette to a new driver and tell them to have fun and stay safe while you learn??? This Corvette your learning in is our entry level car, Im sure you will quickly get bored and want to move up.:dunno:

A 600 supersport is the furthest thing from an entry level bike. Sure you will feel like your fast and really have some skills, but thats a very big misconception. A mediocre driver will seem quick in a corvette compared to that same driver in a corolla. But is it his skill or the machine??? And is the machine actually being pushed hard?? What happens to the rookie when he makes a mistake? That high performance machine is far less forgiving and thats when people get hurt. Which is why you always seem to hear about newer riders crashing and hurting themselves on crotch rockets. They seem to think its an entry level bike to learn on. :banghead:

So just my take, but get something like an SV650 an fz6 etc. More like buying a GTI or a 3 series coupe. Great car, limits and performance that will still be above your limits. Still gives you a rush and makes you hone your skills to really get fast but rewards when you do.

I really don't expect my rant to change your mind, but I hope it stays floating back there and helps to keep you humble when your riding. Get a bike, and never stop learning how to get better at riding it. You will still smile as much as I do every time I put my leg over mine.

snowcat
06-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Rowdy
Well this is going to be a bit of a rant and I am sorry about that. It's just that some of the comments you made always get under my skin when it comes to new people and bikes. It doesn't help I was just reading the thread about squids vs cagers. I get the spirit of your comments and I honestly am excited to hear someone else wants to get out on the road on two wheels. I love riding and can't imagine my life not spending time on two wheels. I also think its great that you are humble enough to state up front that your new to it and asking advice. Gives me confidence that you won't end up as "a douchebag on a crotch rocket", but someone I would be happy to ride with.

Time for the rant,

Why the fuck do people think buying a 600 supersport bike is entry level?? A good place for a beginner???

This is mainly a car forum so I will put it in car terms. All the 600 sport bikes in the last 5 years have basically had a wet weight of 400lbs and less. Have all been able to put down 100hp minimum at the back wheel. So basically 4 lb per HP. Lets put that in car terms. A 2014 Corvette will easily put down 425hp at the wheels with a wet weight of 3300lbs. 7.76lb per hp. Now your weight won't change between vehicles so I can ignore that. So with a bit of rounding I'm basically at the point of, a 600 supersport bike is almost double the power to weight of a new Vette. How logical is it to just toss the keys of a Corvette to a new driver and tell them to have fun and stay safe while you learn??? This Corvette your learning in is our entry level car, Im sure you will quickly get bored and want to move up.:dunno:

A 600 supersport is the furthest thing from an entry level bike. Sure you will feel like your fast and really have some skills, but thats a very big misconception. A mediocre driver will seem quick in a corvette compared to that same driver in a corolla. But is it his skill or the machine??? And is the machine actually being pushed hard?? What happens to the rookie when he makes a mistake? That high performance machine is far less forgiving and thats when people get hurt. Which is why you always seem to hear about newer riders crashing and hurting themselves on crotch rockets. They seem to think its an entry level bike to learn on. :banghead:

So just my take, but get something like an SV650 an fz6 etc. More like buying a GTI or a 3 series coupe. Great car, limits and performance that will still be above your limits. Still gives you a rush and makes you hone your skills to really get fast but rewards when you do.

I really don't expect my rant to change your mind, but I hope it stays floating back there and helps to keep you humble when your riding. Get a bike, and never stop learning how to get better at riding it. You will still smile as much as I do every time I put my leg over mine.

I dislike posts like yours. A 600cc bike is only as fast as the right wrist. My first bike is an R6 600cc "supersports" as you call it and it's a fantastic starter bike.

Just because a 600cc bike wasn't a starting point for you, doesn't mean it's not for others. I rode a 500ex for my test. I was cramped, my knees where in the way, and it was an awful experience.

My 600 allowed me to be comfortable, and a four years later, still has the power to keep me smiling.

The comment "hard tuning imports" is way worse as it has nothing to do with getting a bike. LOL

avishal26
06-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by snowcat

I dislike posts like yours. A 600cc bike is only as fast as the right wrist. .....

True. But if your right wrist is not trained or has the necessary experience, one newbie mistake can be VERY costly. There are people who can learn on a 600cc for sure, but they are the minority.

I rode a 250cc for a month even though I knew I could handle a 600cc - and I'm glad I did because little mistakes on the 250cc had no disastrous consequences. I enjoyed my 600cc much more after than (I did my first road test on a CBR600 - was easy... but still didn't want to get a 600cc for a starter just because it didn't seem like the right thing to do.)

I still made a couple of small mistakes on the R6 I owned, but even the 1 month of experience with the 250 helped a lot on the R6.

SecondReversal
06-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Snip~

You know what I hate? Uppity guys that constantly try to tell other people how to live their lives. Don't think that a 600 repliracer is a good starting point? Great. Awesome for you. Don't buy one then - But don't crawl down someone's throat just because in your opinion they're making a bad purchase decision.

You think this guy is such a mouth-breathing retard he can't do a little research on his own? Can't take a little personal responsibility for his actions and choices? Ride that high horse back to wherever you came from, how 'bout.

Is jumping on a superbike right out of the gate the best way to become the next Lorenzo or Stoner or Rossi? Perhaps not - But so fucking what if that's not what this guy is interested in. He didn't ask for you to browbeat him about it, so can the lecture. You want to be helpful? Get off the soapbox and engage in a dialogue.

Fuck's sake, what a fucking nanny state...

16hypen3sp
06-16-2014, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by SecondReversal

You know what I hate?

You know what I hate? How I can't get my shift indicator lights to illuminate in first gear on my 1000 without breaking every speed limit there is in Alberta. :rofl:

But in all seriousness, first road bike I jumped on was a Buell xb12r. Little comparable to a 600. Rode for a year, went to a cbr 600, did that until this year, got a 1000. But like I said, I knew how to ride a motorcycle from my motocross days.

Then there's my gf. Never squeezed a clutch lever in her life. Would it be wise for her to learn on a 600. Hell no.

jltabot
06-16-2014, 11:53 PM
looking for a comfy bike to bomb around the city in? I think a CBR600 F4 or F4i would suit your needs just fine. I learned on one and its got a very comfortable seating position. I'm 6' 4" and could sit upright comfortably if I didn't feel like riding tucked all the time.

Go to Blackfoot, sit on as many bikes as you can and get a feel for what's comfortable FOR YOU.

Rowdy
06-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Main reason I'm looking to start small is to not tempt myself too much into over doing it well I'm fresh on the roads.

I would appreciate any and all advice!

-Thanks!

I'm not telling him how to live his life, ok actually I was.....I said "get a bike"

This is what led to my rant. The people that have his ear are telling him to go bigger. He will be riding with these guys. This mentality that somehow a 600 is little bike and not enough.

Originally posted by civic_stylez

People who are telling you that are unskilled riders that just crack the throttle and try and go as fast as they can. The real skill is actually learning to RIDE a bike. Any loser can go fast in a straight line.

I'm clearly not the only one with this opinion. It's a hard thing to resist cracking the throttle open when your excited to be with your friends on a ride, and that's what the group is doing

Originally posted by carson blocks
More important than which stressing over which bike you want, here's the best advice I can offer to a new rider. Take a good course, buy good gear, and don't ride like an asshole.

Such good advice

Originally posted by snowcat

I dislike posts like yours. A 600cc bike is only as fast as the right wrist. My first bike is an R6 600cc "supersports" as you call it and it's a fantastic starter bike.

Just because a 600cc bike wasn't a starting point for you, doesn't mean it's not for others. I rode a 500ex for my test. I was cramped, my knees where in the way, and it was an awful experience.

My 600 allowed me to be comfortable, and a four years later, still has the power to keep me smiling.

The comment "hard tuning imports" is way worse as it has nothing to do with getting a bike. LOL

This is an opinion that I can respect. And my rant is not really disagreeing with you. I just want the OP to keep in mind exactly what you have said. After 4 years your bike still has it. So many new riders hear exactly what the OP is hearing, " a 600 is not enough". New riders need to understand as you do, its enough and then some for quite awhile.

Originally posted by SecondReversal

You know what I hate? Uppity guys that constantly try to tell other people how to live their lives. Don't think that a 600 repliracer is a good starting point? Great. Awesome for you. Don't buy one then - But don't crawl down someone's throat just because in your opinion they're making a bad purchase decision.

You think this guy is such a mouth-breathing retard he can't do a little research on his own? Can't take a little personal responsibility for his actions and choices? Ride that high horse back to wherever you came from, how 'bout.

Is jumping on a superbike right out of the gate the best way to become the next Lorenzo or Stoner or Rossi? Perhaps not - But so fucking what if that's not what this guy is interested in. He didn't ask for you to browbeat him about it, so can the lecture. You want to be helpful? Get off the soapbox and engage in a dialogue.

Fuck's sake, what a fucking nanny state...

Fine think me as uppity as you like. But reread what I have said. I have a lot of respect for the OP seeking out more info. Sure my response is a bit heavy handed and preachy I get that. Its like that to hopefully counter a bit of his friends opinions. Feels a lot more like you need to be open to dialogue. Just because I don't want to "Live Fast and Die Young", doesn't put me on a soapbox looking to form the Nanny State. When you lose your mind because a post seems harsh, you risk becoming " a mouth breathing retard"

So back to the OP..... like I said in my post. Get a bike. I look forward to hearing what you chose.

Zetsu
06-17-2014, 09:18 AM
~

All the controversy on this post aside, I appreciate any and all advice as I said. Everyone here has more experience than me and I'm all about hearing opinions from all angles. Controversial or not. When I had first gotten into cars if I hadn't kept an open ear I'd have probably been stuck driving around in my Front-wheel drive integra for years lol.

Zetsu
06-17-2014, 09:28 AM
From reading through these posts and doing some research myself I'm getting the feeling that a FZ6 might be a good starter. Also I don't mind that under $5000 price point at all! Now one of my original questions was on what bikes are worth. For example:

$4800 @ 10,000KM
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/calgary/2008-yamaha-fz6-red/599320514?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Couple years older but $3500 @ 30,000
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/calgary/2006-yamaha-fz6/599958433?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If I were buying a used car I'd like something under 200,000KM, but in some cases I could go a little higher. What would be that kind of equivalent to bikes.

revelations
06-17-2014, 09:39 AM
^ I can speak about Hondas and the Suzi SV series - a well kept bike engine with 50,000 kms would be equivalent IMO to a well kept car with 200,000 kms.

Personally, and without knowing the quirks of the FZ6 series (could be issues depending on year) I would opt for the older, high mileage bike for starters. Its been down once at least which will give you more price wiggle room.

shakalaka
06-17-2014, 09:44 AM
I'll tell you what I did and I'll also tell that my case was extremely exceptional and I don't recommend it. I used to ride smaller bikes growing up every now and then. So I always knew how to ride a bike per se but never had one of my own that I rode all the time.

The first bike I started riding was essentially my brother's bike but he let me ride it whenever I wanted. I didn't ride it too much because I didn't have a full license at this point and it wasn't exactly easy to find someone to go with me. It was a big bike, Ducati 748 to be exact. I am 6.1 and at the time I must have been around 190lbs, so I never had any issues 'controlling' the bike per se but I could tell that it was too much for a 'new' rider. Which was another reason I didn't ride it too much. Plus whenever I did ride it, I never rode it like an idiot or like I stole it. I must have been around 19-20 around the time.

My brother crashed it and it was totaled. Fast forward 5 years my brother got a Ducati 749 for himself which sort of awoke the love of bikes in me again. At this point I decided to get my own bike as I wanted to go on rides with my brother and cousin. I bought a Yamaha R6. Now I am around 215lbs and still 6.1 and R6 felt like it had plenty of power. More than what I ever needed. I rode it for one season and decided I wanted something else. Not necessarily more powerful, just something newer and different as I get bored of things fast.

I searched quite and bit for another 600 bike or even a 750 but not cause I wanted the more power, but simply cause I wanted something different and opening a new segment meant more options. What I end up with? I found a decent deal on a 2006 GSXR 1000 and went ahead with it. The whole time I had a feeling that I don't really want something that big but the deal I was getting on it and the way the timing worked out, it made it hard for me to pass on it. My brother who has been riding for several years (at least 5 or so more than me) still has his Ducati 749 and finds that it has more than enough power for what he wants to do with it. Same with my cousin who's 6.3 and 230lbs, he finds his gsxr 750 sufficient.

Now here I am the most 'inexperienced' rider of us 3 with the strongest bike. I've been riding it around a little this season and I haven't been doing anything stupid on it. Not that I would ever with a smaller bike either, but I am almost 'scared' of it a little. Not cause I am not big enough to handle it but I feel I am not experienced enough and haven't ridden enough on roads to be riding it. Sometimes I look on Kijiji to see if someone is interested in upgrading to a 1000 so I could go down to 750 or even 600.

What is the moral of my story? Start small and be completely comfortable on that before thinking big. 600 is a lot of bike and way more than enough to kill someone who's not going to respect it and be careful with it. You can always upgrade once your experience ads up and you're comfortable on a 2 wheeler on the road.

Zetsu
06-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by revelations
^ I can speak about Hondas and the Suzi SV series - a well kept bike engine with 50,000 kms would be equivalent IMO to a well kept car with 200,000 kms.

Personally, and without knowing the quirks of the FZ6 series (could be issues depending on year) I would opt for the older, high mileage bike for starters. Its been down once at least which will give you more price wiggle room.

Thanks! I was hoping for a higher mileage not perfect bike personally.

Just throwing in a quick plug lol. I have an '85 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz for sale/trade and would love to trade for a bike plus cash on my end potentially if any of you know anyone who may be interested.

avishal26
06-17-2014, 10:16 AM
In my opinion, the 2008 FZ6 is a better deal because for $1,300 difference you get a lot less km's and apparently a full set of gear is included for 2 people.

But I guess like Revelations said, if you buy a older bike with high kms - you wouldn't really care if you happened to drop it.... wouldn't affect the resale value too much if it has already been dropped before you got it lol

JVR1
06-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka

Now here I am the most 'inexperienced' rider of us 3 with the strongest bike. I've been riding it around a little this season and I haven't been doing anything stupid on it. Not that I would ever with a smaller bike either, but I am almost 'scared' of it a little. Not cause I am not big enough to handle it but I feel I am not experienced enough and haven't ridden enough on roads to be riding it. Sometimes I look on Kijiji to see if someone is interested in upgrading to a 1000 so I could go down to 750 or even 600.

i actually look for ads with people that would want to downgrade to a 600 but i assume they just sell then re-buy.

at the end of the day, you can start on whatever you want but it's a maturity thing (not age). respect the bike.

not sure how else to say it but sportbikes are not forgiving for corrective/evasive movements especially once at high speed. that's would worry me if i was new to riding.

shakalaka
06-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Yea I can see that but I just don't want to go through the hassle of selling and re-buying again because I just did that with my R6 and Gsxr. So if something attractive enough comes along, I would give it a serious thought and downgrade to something smaller.

avishal26
06-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by JVR1

not sure how else to say it but sportbikes are not forgiving for corrective/evasive movements especially once at high speed. that's would worry me if i was new to riding.

Exactly!

Q-TIP
06-17-2014, 01:47 PM
I've owned supersports, touring bikes, supermotos, sport touring bikes and even a Harley.

Of all those bikes, the absolute most useless ones were my 2007 CBR 600rr and 2010 GSXR 750. They may be great on a track but around town the; visibility is garbage, the riding position is horrendous for traffic, slow speed maneuverability was complete horseshit and there was simply no good way to attach extra storage and backpacks suck.

If you want to fit a niche (and maybe impress the shallower end of the female spectrum), get a supersport.

If you want to actually use your bike around town and get decent usage out of it on the highway, get a standard or sport-touring bike.

If you want to cruise long distances on the open road, honestly you can't beat the Harley style cruisers or touring bikes. This includes the Goldwings/Victories/Suzukis etc.

Graham_A_M
06-17-2014, 02:08 PM
^ Id very highly recommend against a Goldwing, or one of those all-out touring bikes for in town. Yeah its cool you have a gazillion places to store shit, heated grips, HVAC and a radio, those bikes weigh in at almost half a ton. For a new rider, thats WAY too much bike, and honestly too much to handle for in the city. I wouldn't want one, thats for sure.

Honestly? having riding sportbikes for most of my life, switching to a cruiser has been the best move I've made a VERY long time in terms of bikes. I just love mine, it has plenty of power, and My ass, knee's and wrists aren't utterly killing me after 2 hours on it.

Rowdy
06-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Like Q-Tip and Graham_A_M, I have ridden a lot of different bikes. I have been riding for over 30 years, yeah I'm a beyond old guy. In the last 15 years I went from a gsxr600 to a 1000, to an vintage CB350, then a 01 Goldwing. Now I have just switched to a VStrom 1000, and still have the CB350. The VStrom has me back to more sport bike ish handling, and the ability to tour the way I like. I miss the Wing, and it handles so much better than expected, but its a huge heavy bike and has its own very specific learning curve. I am really biased right now to Adventure touring bikes because I just got mine, almost bought the V Strom 650. If most of my riding was solo I would have taken the 650 over my 1000. But I 2 up alot. Picking just one bike is always so hard, I really need about 6 LOL. Try as many as you can one style will jump out as "right".

03ozwhip
06-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Those guys telling you to go bigger are retards and you definitely shouldn't go riding with them. I've ridden all of the 600s and 1000s and by far the 600s are way better to ride.

I learned on an 05 r6, never pulled a clutch in my life and I wouldn't change it. I still ride r6's and that's the only sport bike I will own. I would definitely say a 600 for your size and little experience is a good starter...unless you're a dummy, thwn dont do it.

GotRice?
06-17-2014, 02:53 PM
FZ6 Are really nimble and fun to ride. It does not have a very aggressive riding position and is super comfy. Very easy to ride bike and I also have one for sale if you're interested...

As for myself I prefer the CBR600RR I find the riding position very comfortable compared to the R6/GSXR since its not as aggressive. Power wise, 600 is more than enough on the streets and the most fun around the corners. Depending on your size(height + weight) I'd recommend to go for a 250cc for a starter bike if you're a bit smaller since it'll be easier to control and move the bike around at slower speeds(i.e parking/parking lot). Even then you'll probably still get bored of it after a month or two but atleast you will get a feel for it.

If you're a bigger guy I could see you starting on a 600cc as you can probably easily maneuver the bike. It still is quite intimidating getting on one when you first start. As long as you're mature about it and confident you can handle it. Just don't do dumb shit.

civic_stylez
06-17-2014, 04:44 PM
@ Rowdy, do you have the new redesigned 1000 V Strom? I have been looking into these for a while. Awesome value when compared to an F800 or a triumph tiger/explorer. Just looking for input.

Rowdy
06-17-2014, 06:58 PM
No Stylez, this was my first time with an adventure touring bike. I bought an 08. I love it though. So many ways to customize how I want, and it's like a tank. But I am already drooling over the new Ducati Multistrada.