PDA

View Full Version : Newer Jeep Reilability?

sabad66
06-17-2014, 07:37 AM
So the gf is about to finalize a deal with Varsity Chrysler on a new 2014 Wrangler Sport S with the pentastar v6. We are meeting with the business mgr today to discuss the usual extras and the only thing we are considering is the extended warranty. Not sure how much it's gonna be yet, but I'm thinking around $1500-2000 on a ~30k vehicle.

Anyone have recent experience with the newer jeeps and can comment on the reliability? She won't be off-roading much if at all (it will probably be me doing it :p) so I'm thinking the factory 5 year/100k warranty might be enough.

Any thoughts? Thx

dirtsniffer
06-17-2014, 07:41 AM
You can purchase an extended warranty any time before the factory warranty expires usually.

Also extended warranties are for suckers.

corsvette
06-17-2014, 07:49 AM
I dunno, I think extended warranty's are becoming a must on new vehicles. It don't take very long or much to rack up a 1-3k repair bill. On a Jeep with a relatively new (and unproven) powertrain, the extended warranty would be on my list.

Tik-Tok
06-17-2014, 08:00 AM
I would never buy a $100 extended warranty on a $1000 tv, but you bet your ass I would buy a $2000 extended warranty on a $30,000 vehicle. ESPECIALLY on a domestic vehicle. You are guaranteed problem.

Also the 5 years is for drivetrain only, your "bumper to bumper" warranty is only 3 years, and even worse, rust through warranty is only 3 years as well :nut:

sabad66
06-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Yeah usually don't get extended warranties with electronics (mostly cuz the CC extends by 1 year), but cars are different.

I think we will probably get it, especially since it's a domestic. All it takes is one huge repair bill to make it worth it.

A790
06-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Also extended warranties are for suckers.
My mom's extended warranty on her Ford Ranger SportTrac proved itself well-worth it more than once.

CapnCrunch
06-17-2014, 10:43 AM
I'd be more worried about dealing with the Chrysler dealerships around town.

dirtsniffer
06-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by A790

My mom's extended warranty on her Ford Ranger SportTrac proved itself well-worth it more than once.

well she shouldn't have bought a one of a kind vehicle in the first place.

Lex350
06-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

BINGO! Horrible bunch of dealers. IMO Varsity is the worst of the bunch.

ercchry
06-17-2014, 11:25 AM
yeah, never go off road if you want your warranty to stay intact.... chrysler is just the worst for dealing with service... and if you do go offroad, you will want to modify it... and bye-bye warranty anyways :dunno:

sincerely,

a reformed rubicon owner :rofl:

A790
06-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
well she shouldn't have bought a one of a kind vehicle in the first place.
Regardless, the extended warranty did what she paid for. The type of vehicle she bought was beside the point.

PulsePro
06-17-2014, 11:38 AM
A friend of mine had a 2011 Jeep Wrangler and took it offroading in Waiparous.
After going through a shallow creek, his clutch started making an odd noise when it was engaged. :dunno:

Covered under warranty though.

ercchry
06-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by PulsePro
A friend of mine had a 2011 Jeep Wrangler and took it offroading in Waiparous.
After going through a shallow creek, his clutch started making an odd noise when it was engaged. :dunno:

Covered under warranty though.

what a noob, you dont depress the clutch pedal while in water... thats why you can start them in gear while in 4 low without the safety switch preventing you from doing so.

went in for an oil change and got threatened by a void warranty cause my truck was "excessively muddy" underneath :rolleyes:

carson blocks
06-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Word. I've had between 120 and 150 vehicles in my life, and my new '09 Wrangler was one of the worst quality wise. I loved it, but it was built very poorly. It's poor quality was eclipsed by the pain of dealing with the Chrysler service folks though. Even when a person had a documented, legitimate beef, there was no help from Chrysler corporate either. Eastside Dodge was probably the worst, but most of them are terrible.

I'm driving a Ram pickup right now and Airdrie Dodge has been ok, but there is no way in hell I'm keeping it outside of warranty, or after it starts to cause trouble of any kind. I'll even do my own service on a brand new truck so I don't have to deal with a Chrysler repair shop.

Unknown303
06-17-2014, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

what a noob, you dont depress the clutch pedal while in water... thats why you can start them in gear while in 4 low without the safety switch preventing you from doing so.

went in for an oil change and got threatened by a void warranty cause my truck was "excessively muddy" underneath :rolleyes:

:werd: they wouldn't even warranty my motor when it apparently snorted some water and blew a hole in the block...

Sugarphreak
06-17-2014, 02:56 PM

ercchry
06-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I thought it was because it had huge dents in the undercarriage :rofl:

so many threats of void warranty... :rofl:

and that was a single dent, and it was the trans x-mount

Sugarphreak
06-17-2014, 03:16 PM

Canucks3322
06-17-2014, 11:07 PM
All Im getting from this thread is dint buy an American brand new car lol

Sugarphreak
06-18-2014, 06:47 AM

InRich
06-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Just DONT buy a Jeep.... just DONT..... DONT.

I had a friend bought a 11 Rubicon Jeep new... I think the moment she drove off the lot, she started having nothing but problem after problem, after problem. And like others have already said, these Jeep dealerships are nothing but trouble to deal with, insisting nothing is wrong with their vehicles, when their actually falling apart.

Go get her something else.

Chrysler's, Jeeps, and Dodges are GARBAGE!

Theres a reason they have such bad reputations.

flipstah
06-18-2014, 11:21 AM

haha yep... GM also constantly threatened to pull my warranty... even blatantly refused to acknowledge I had no power steering once. That was a fun conversation

“Hey, I am here to pick up my truck, were you able to fix the power steering?”
“we had a look, didn’t find anything wrong”
“Um… it has no power steering… you can barely turn the wheel”
“No, we think that is just your aftermarket tires… they are too big”
“Ok, they are technically just 6% larger that stock, so they are not too big”
“Nope, your tires are too big… that is why it feels like you have no power steering”
“No… the power steering pump is shot and making noise, it literally has NO power steering, it is almost impossible to drive”
“We didn’t find anything wrong… sorry, take it home”

Drive it home with no power steering and brought it back the next day, find out they overfilled it with oil (again) and it blew out the front seal (again) so I took it back. Guy hopes in and says “Holy shit, there is no power steering on this thing!”

:facepalm:

This is a good thread, I was actually really liking the new Corvette and it is reminding me how much I hate dealing with GM

That's stupid. Lack of power steering and big tires are NOT the same feeling.

At all.

:facepalm: Hope that service tech got a lesson or got booted out.

Sugarphreak
06-18-2014, 11:26 AM

FraserB
06-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by InRich
Just DONT buy a Jeep.... just DONT..... DONT.

I had a friend bought a 11 Rubicon Jeep new... I think the moment she drove off the lot, she started having nothing but problem after problem, after problem. And like others have already said, these Jeep dealerships are nothing but trouble to deal with, insisting nothing is wrong with their vehicles, when their actually falling apart.

Curious as to what issues these where. Even on non-Jeep forums there are a lot of "problems" being reported by new to brand owners that are unaware of the vehicle's characteristics.

As for the other issues with warranty, offroading is fine, but there is a line between use and abuse.

Offroading by itself is not enough to void warranty.

ercchry
06-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Curious as to what issues these where. Even on non-Jeep forums there are a lot of "problems" being reported by new to brand owners that are unaware of the vehicle's characteristics.

As for the other issues with warranty, offroading is fine, but there is a line between use and abuse.

Offroading by itself is not enough to void warranty.

no, im talking about even before that shit, and they didnt try anything.... unless you count a 6 month oil consumption test as "trying"

its funny just comparing the two... ford: spun bearing, brand new long block installed within days

jeep: 1qt of oil/tank of gas= 24 visits to the dealer and no action taken

not to mention just the issues the jeep had from day one. drive it home from dealer, and its already leaking out of the transfer case, 1 month later and pulley bearing goes, sounds supercharged...

the only thing i will take responsibility for... but not really is the strut bushings... its a shitty design and a "rugged" truck should be able to bomb down rough roads, it was literally a new set of bushing after every trip down the waiparous road

sabad66
06-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Ended up getting the extended warranty for $2k which extends the factory 3yr/60k to a 5yr/100k bumper to bumper. Sounds like Jeeps have their fair share of issues so at least will have the peace of mind.

Now we wait for the nice weather this weekend to cruise with the top/doors off :bigpimp:

ercchry
06-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

Now we wait for the nice weather this weekend to cruise with the top/doors off :bigpimp:

i hope you park in the garage, that shits just not fun to do more than a few times (if you have a hard top)

also, look into the relocated mirrors if you want to cruise around without doors... its kind of sketchy without the side mirrors

sabad66
06-18-2014, 12:26 PM

i hope you park in the garage, that shits just not fun to do more than a few times (if you have a hard top)

also, look into the relocated mirrors if you want to cruise around without doors... its kind of sketchy without the side mirrors
Yeah i'm sure it'll get old after a while lol... but obviously have to do it asap while the new car excitement is still there.

Didn't even think about the side mirrors coming off with the doors. probably won't end up doing that too often in that case

FraserB
06-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Take the doors off right away and do it every so often so they don't get stuck on. It will take away a lot of frustration and when you sell, the next owner will love you for it.

Get a set of motorcycle mirrors that are threaded. Takes 30 seconds to swap them on when you pull the doors.

Also, carry a plastic garbage bag in case you do get caught in weather with the top down. You'll want it to cover the steering wheel and column. The clockspring can get stuck in a closed condition if it gets wet/corrodes.

Realize you have a loaf of bread on wheels and you are not going to see amazing mileage. With that same comment, prepare yourself for rock chips since the angle of the windshield is pretty steep. There is a polycarbonate replacement that is supposed to be many times better.

Unknown303
06-18-2014, 12:45 PM
:werd: I'd immediately take off the doors and grease the living shit out of the joint. Otherwise they will never come off ever again. I had to use a highlift under my doors to get them to pop off.

And if you have the space to store the roof and doors in a garage taking them off never gets old. It's badass driving around like that.

ercchry
06-18-2014, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

And if you have the space to store the roof and doors in a garage taking them off never gets old. It's badass driving around like that.

...if you have 2hrs free every few days, cause lets be honest... ITS GONNA RAIN :rofl:

Sugarphreak
06-18-2014, 12:52 PM

ercchry
06-18-2014, 12:54 PM
How long does it take to throw on a bikini top?

never had one, just had the factory soft and hardtops... i got pretty quick at tossing up the soft top, probably 5min to get the main top up, then the side windows were alright, back window was a bitch.... fully sealed i'd say 15min? ....still not fun in a down pour without doors though :rofl:

Unknown303
06-18-2014, 12:57 PM

never had one, just had the factory soft and hardtops... i got pretty quick at tossing up the soft top, probably 5min to get the main top up, then the side windows were alright, back window was a bitch.... fully sealed i'd say 15min? ....still not fun in a down pour without doors though :rofl:

Yeah it's the back window that's brutal..

I used to go from a condo parkade to my works parkade so I would drive to work in the rain with no top on if I had to. It would dry out before I went home and then I'd just repeat it.

4WARNED
06-18-2014, 01:09 PM

no, im talking about even before that shit, and they didnt try anything.... unless you count a 6 month oil consumption test as "trying"

jeep: 1qt of oil/tank of gas= 24 visits to the dealer and no action taken

The old 3.8l V6 (upto 2011MY) was notorious for oil consumption. The new 3.6 V6 is way better now..faster, quieter, less vibration.

I've had a couple of recalls on my 2013 rubicon JKU - oil cooler lines and a chirping water pump. Took care of immediately at Big 4 motors.

As for those doors coming off, good luck unless someone has been taking them off every 4 months and lubing them.
Finally got em though

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/CBraun4warned/IMG_24641_zps605b5e88.jpg (http://s1041.photobucket.com/user/CBraun4warned/media/IMG_24641_zps605b5e88.jpg.html)

Graham_A_M
06-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
All Im getting from this thread is dint buy an American brand new car lol
No, Ive had absolutely zero issues with my Buick that I bought new, just none, its been amazing since the day I took it home.

I think a more refined statement would be, Dont buy anything by Chrysler. Thats all you need to take home from this thread.

:thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
06-19-2014, 06:28 AM

Graham_A_M
06-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Oh wait, and whose Buick owned by? GM. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A790
06-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

No, Ive had absolutely zero issues with my Buick that I bought new, just none, its been amazing since the day I took it home.

I think a more refined statement would be, Dont buy anything by Chrysler. Thats all you need to take home from this thread.

:thumbsup:
I've had my Jeep for 6 months and 10,000km trouble-free. So far so good? :)

ercchry
06-19-2014, 10:48 AM

I've had my Jeep for 6 months and 10,000km trouble-free. So far so good? :)

i still cant believe you drive around in that with your back... i couldnt handle it for the 4 days i had one:nut:

A790
06-19-2014, 10:49 AM

i still cant believe you drive around in that with your back... i couldnt handle it for the 4 days i had one:nut:
I dunno, the ride is smooth and pretty forgiving. The seats are comfortable too.

But I also wasn't exaggerating that my daily use of pot has eliminated my back pain (even when I'm not smoking). If I don't smoke for two or three days I feel it creep back, but if I use every day or so it keeps it away.

I'm lucky I guess. :)

Unknown303
06-19-2014, 10:53 AM

I dunno, the ride is smooth and pretty forgiving. The seats are comfortable too.

But I also wasn't exaggerating that my daily use of pot has eliminated my back pain (even when I'm not smoking). If I don't smoke for two or three days I feel it creep back, but if I use every day or so it keeps it away.

I'm lucky I guess. :)

Where are you getting medical marijuana from?

ercchry
06-19-2014, 10:54 AM
it would be interesting to see if you trim level has a different suspension than the sport does... cause i could feel every crack in the road... but then again there is a reason i own a luxury sedan with air ride :rofl:

A790
06-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Where are you getting medical marijuana from?
You buy direct from the growers now. You can book appointments with Oasis clinic if you think you are a candidate.

it would be interesting to see if you trim level has a different suspension than the sport does... cause i could feel every crack in the road... but then again there is a reason i own a luxury sedan with air ride :rofl:
The Trailhawk trim level has different suspension than the other models. It sits 1" higher and is designed to be "off road" ready.

waterbottle
06-19-2014, 11:19 AM
How do you guys like the 14 Cherokee's so far? I was really close to picking up a base sports model with AWD before I got my 14 Rogue. I was just worried about Chrysler reliability and a new unproven power train but than again, Nissan CVT's have been known to be garbage....

The Trailhawk model looks pretty sick, nice choice!!

sabad66
06-19-2014, 11:24 AM
So far I don't mind the suspension on the Sport S. It's definitely not the smoothest ride out there but that's expected with a jeep. That said, have only driven inner city on main roads like centre street (which is bumpy/pothole-y as fuck) so will need to go for a longer drive this weekend to get a true feel for it. Maybe take er out to Banff or Mclean Creek on Saturday.

A790
06-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by waterbottle
How do you guys like the 14 Cherokee's so far? I was really close to picking up a base sports model with AWD before I got my 14 Rogue. I was just worried about Chrysler reliability and a new unproven power train but than again, Nissan CVT's have been known to be garbage....

The Trailhawk model looks pretty sick, nice choice!!
Well, as I said, so far so good. The transmission makes quick shifts and tends to be where I want it most of the time. When I want to drive a bit... err... more spirited I throw it in sport mode.

271hp is nice and the Trailhawk certainly feels like it's got plenty of power for what it is. You'll get moving faster than most other SUV's and cars.

The truck itself (looking beyond powertrain) has been great. Everything functions without issue and is convenient to use/access. My biggest complaint is that the nav will often "forget" that I selected the setting that enables display in the instrument cluster- thus foricing me to take the 5 seconds to re-enable the setting.

Power liftgate is great. Open/close with a touch of the button by the steering wheel, on the keyfob, or using the button at the rear once it's opened.

Plenty of space to move shit around. Folding seats a plus.

Backup camera is awesome, as is the radar-guided cruise control, lane departure, etc. Heated steering wheel is nice too. Trailhawk trim doesn't get ventilated front seats though, just heated. Damn.

Panoramic roof is excellent. One touch, very nice. Gives the cabin a very open and light feeling- I very much enjoy that when driving.

I have done some light offroading (driving through fields at the acreage, etc.) and it just owns it. It also made winter its bitch.

The suspension is forgiving and compliant, but when I start giving it the beans I also feel planted and secure. Not a ton of body roll. I don't feel every crack in the road but I also don't feel disconnected from it either.

All my life I've hated SUV's and swore I'd never own one. Now I'm married with an SUV (SURPRISE), but I'm glad we picked this one. Aside from maybe a Macan, there isn't any other SUV I'd want to be driving.

Unknown303
06-19-2014, 12:18 PM
That's a pretty decent sales pitch. :thumbsup:

Kind of makes me want to test drive one, although I already have a truck and probably wouldn't be going smaller.. ever.

waterbottle
06-19-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm pass the rice rocket milestone now, your post makes me want to trade in the last car for a Cherokee. Shit, feels like I'm getting old.

A790
06-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by waterbottle
I'm pass the rice rocket milestone now, your post makes me want to trade in the last car for a Cherokee. Shit, feels like I'm getting old.
lol yea that's how I felt when I bought it :(

But now I'm all "oh damn, there's four feet of snow outside? Looks like I'm going to be slightly late for work."

Or my new favourite "oh damn, look at all those really deep puddles that don't impact my life in any way."

LOL

Kloubek
07-07-2014, 08:39 AM
I came across JD Power's initial quality survey today, and thought of this thread. Surprised nobody had posted it yet.

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2014-j-d-power-initial-quality-study_100470270_l.jpg

Doesn't bode well for Jeep initial reliability. Bodes even worse for Fiat - which appears to be travelling in their old footsteps.

Personally, I'm impressed with Jaguar which used to be a horribly unreliable luxury brand.

Tik-Tok
07-07-2014, 08:59 AM
No ones posted it, because everyone knows JD power and associate "reliability studies" are a joke.

A blown engine = 1 problem
A license plate light burnt out = 1 problem.

Lex350
07-07-2014, 09:06 AM

All my life I've hated SUV's and swore I'd never own one. Now I'm married with an SUV (SURPRISE), but I'm glad we picked this one. Aside from maybe a Macan, there isn't any other SUV I'd want to be driving.

I first said this about driving a vehicle with an automatic transmission. I said I would never do it. Now both my cars are automatics.

I also said that about a mini-van but then we had two kids and a large dog. Yes, it was ugly and boring but it sure could haul kids and their stuff around. We had that for 4 years to get passed the bump.

I also swore I would never have an SUV. Hated them but you can't deny how well they work in the winter.

A790
07-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
I also swore I would never have an SUV. Hated them but you can't deny how well they work in the winter.
Not just winter, but how well they work... period.

Case and point: every morning at 8 am Deerfoot Northbound is backed up from Anderson to just past 130th. I need to take Deerfoot to the Barlow exit, so before I'd sit in my car and wait 15 minutes to go 500m. Now, I just jump the curb (yup, I'm that asshole) into the acceleration lane and take the exit. Saves me 10-15 minutes a day.

Having 9" of ground clearance is also awesome, especially in the winter, because most road hazards aren't a hazard anymore. When I was rolling in the Optima, which was lowered, it was like I was constantly bobbing and weaving at avoid shit on the road.

In short, it's awesome that my DD is an SUV. Still miss having a sports car though :(

sabad66
07-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I came across JD Power's initial quality survey today, and thought of this thread. Surprised nobody had posted it yet.

[reliability graph]

Doesn't bode well for Jeep initial reliability. Bodes even worse for Fiat - which appears to be travelling in their old footsteps.

Personally, I'm impressed with Jaguar which used to be a horribly unreliable luxury brand.
phew, makes us feel a little better about dishing out the extra 2 grand for the extended warranty.

Darell_n
07-07-2014, 12:32 PM
I think most of the problems reported on new vehicles are the overly complicated multimedia/nav touch screen setups. Most of the people I know that have them have frequent firmware updates to fix issues, and usually cause others to happen at the same time. Any Microsoft user should be familiar with this. I would like to see the surveys broken into sections like drivetrain, body, entertainment, etc.

Kloubek
07-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Well Sabad66, like Tik-Tok pointed out, JD Power measures overall complaints. That can be anywhere from your wheel falling off to disliking the way something is works or is designed. So Jeep's poor score doesn't necessarily mean that their vehicles have inherent mechanical or physical failures.

With this said, Jeep/Chrysler has a very long history of making vehicles and one would imagine that they have most of the "basics" down pat by this point. So one might surmise that their low score is either due to failures of the product, or added technology which is not working as the user desires. Either way, that's pretty crappy for a company with such a rich heritage and one that has managed to continue to hold a large, almost cultlike following for so many years.