PDA

View Full Version : Master bedroom over garage - thoughts?

oz388
06-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Hi guys, I've seen a lot new home designs that they locate the master bedroom over the garage, I like the idea that u can get a large bedroom, vaulted ceiling and large windows etc, however would the room over garage become very cold in winter and hot in summer even the garage is well insulated based on the new home build standards?

Assuming the room faces South with enough daylight comes in through the window, would you choose your master bedroom to be on top of the garage?

Thanks!

killramos
06-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Depends if they insulate to minimum code and size / quality of garage door as well as drafts. Seems like it should be fine if the builder gives half a crap. Which they don't...

Probably want a CO detector in your room to...

ExtremeSi
06-17-2014, 11:57 AM
My master is over the garage. No issues at all. It stays the same temp as the rest of the house pretty much. And the house was built in the 90s. And the garage is not insulated.

clem24
06-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by oz388
Hi guys, I've seen a lot new home designs that they locate the master bedroom over the garage, I like the idea that u can get a large bedroom, vaulted ceiling and large windows etc, however would the room over garage become very cold in winter and hot in summer even the garage is well insulated based on the new home build standards?

Assuming the room faces South with enough daylight comes in through the window, would you choose your master bedroom to be on top of the garage?

Thanks!

Our bonus room is over the garage. We have a Baywest home built in 2007. I can tell you that it can get butt freezing in there in the winter. Because it's north facing, it doesn't get much sun so heat wise during the summer, it's no worse than the rest of the house. My son's room is even worse as it hangs over the front porch.

But having said that, our garage is NOT insulated or finished, so that might have an effect on things.

I like the idea of the master over the garage as you can keep an eye on your teenage daughters (and sons) - one day.

mikey008
06-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Keeping in mind that since the garage is directly below the master bedroom, make sure you get a quiet garage door opener, or else you will hear and feel the floor of the bedroom rumble! But i guess its good to keep in eye on your teenage kids

CapnCrunch
06-17-2014, 12:27 PM
I've had 2 homes like this. One was freezing cold, and the other had a heated garage and had no issues.

spike98
06-17-2014, 12:30 PM
My last house had the garage under the master bed. Not one single negative effect given the temperature with a heated but insulated garage.

guessboi
06-17-2014, 12:37 PM
My current house is setup this way facing south.
No problems at all...switched to a Liftmaster 8500 Wall Mount for my car lift in the garage. No sound what so ever. :thumbsup:

blairtruck
06-17-2014, 01:38 PM
also if your a guy who wrenches all hours of the night. noise could be an issue. i have a belt driven craftsman opener that is pretty quiet

avishal26
06-17-2014, 01:42 PM
So looks like you need a really quiet garage door opener, insulated and heated garage to be able to build a master above the garage.

My house was built in 2012, and the garage is insulated to code but not heated. I would say it is about 5 degrees cooler in the 3rd bedroom that is above the garage - mostly because the floor gets cold and spreads the cold in the room. Also, I don't have a fancy garage opener and I can hear the opener if I'm in the room - doesn't shake the floor but you hear the door for sure.

mr2mike
06-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Yep, for garage sound, I would make sure AndyL gives you the quietest garage door motor.

You need added insulation around the heat ducting into the room. As well, proper cold air returns or the room will remain colder.

Maybe consider infloor heating for that room?

oz388
06-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by avishal26
So looks like you need a really quiet garage door opener, insulated and heated garage to be able to build a master above the garage.

My house was built in 2012, and the garage is insulated to code but not heated. I would say it is about 5 degrees cooler in the 3rd bedroom that is above the garage - mostly because the floor gets cold and spreads the cold in the room. Also, I don't have a fancy garage opener and I can hear the opener if I'm in the room - doesn't shake the floor but you hear the door for sure.

So in conclusion I guess it is not efficient to have the master room built over the garage...:dunno:

But I think for most houses the furnace in basement has the shortest run to the room above the garage, hence less heat losses through aluminum duct and should help to bring up the room temp in winter a little more than other rooms. Currently my Master bedroom is at back of the house like most of other houses, in winter i dont get enough hot air from the vent, I think 80% heat was lost into walls through the duct...

benyl
06-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Have your furnace balanced properly. If you do that, it won't matter if the garage is heated or insulated.

AndyL
06-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Really depends on a lot more than just if its over the garage...

Some encroach only 10-12' into the garage - others occupy fully, some essentially have a 12' ceiling with a 3' 'build down' of a warm zone beneath... Some are fully sprayfoamed, double layer drywall and tape - others almost unfinished...

Basically - it can be a-ok or it can be a nightmare... Depends on how its built. I get lots of calls in the winter to come replace the door and opener - as they're freezing above - I think I've only replaced one so far - its usually the other stuff that needs improvement first...

Sugarphreak
06-17-2014, 09:33 PM

bignerd
06-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
My last house had a room over the garage... it was freezing all the time, we just closed the door and used it as a guest bedroom. Then we insulated the entire garage with spray foam and it got a bit better... still was noticeably colder than the rest of the upstairs rooms though.

Personally I wouldn't want my master over the garage for the above reason, but also because it means your master bedroom is facing out into the street... so expect to have interrupted sleep more often, especially if you have any neighbors with kids getting into their teens.

This. Our bedroom is at the back of the house, nice and quiet and I don't even live on that busy of a street, but I wouldn't want my bedroom at the front due to the noise/street lights.

guessboi
06-18-2014, 12:15 AM
For me...my bedroom faces south so it is pretty damn warm and I live on a quiet street. No noise, no street lights. Love my bedroom in the front.

funkytuqe
06-18-2014, 08:25 AM
My bedroom is fully ove the front garage. The garage is fully insulated and the garage ceiling is sprayfoamed. There are no drafts and the bedroom is the same temp as the rest of the house. Room is NW facing. As long as it is built properly there should be no heat problems

The only issue is that i have a ceiling mounted chain driven door opener, it vibrates the bedroom floor pretty good, so if i were to do it again i would go for a quieter option. I'll definately upgrade down the road.

oz388
06-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by funkytuqe
My bedroom is fully ove the front garage. The garage is fully insulated and the garage ceiling is sprayfoamed.

Hi which builder(s) would include the sprayfoamed garage ceiling as standard? Do all new homes built within 2 to 3 years come with fully insulated garages as standard?

16hypen3sp
06-18-2014, 10:55 AM
My master bedroom is completely over the garage. The garage is insulated but not heated. I was worried about this cooling issue as well. However, my builder spray foamed the ceiling of the garage/floor of the bedroom. The bedroom actually gets warm, and the floor gets damn warm too as the air ducts run through the spray foam.

House was built last year. Works great!

oz388
06-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
My master bedroom is completely over the garage. The garage is insulated but not heated. I was worried about this cooling issue as well. However, my builder spray foamed the ceiling of the garage/floor of the bedroom. The bedroom actually gets warm, and the floor gets damn warm too as the air ducts run through the spray foam.

House was built last year. Works great!

which builder?

16hypen3sp
06-18-2014, 11:28 AM
I don't live in Calgary so won't matter much...

But I'll give them credit where credit is due.

Builder: Unique Elevations in Sylvan Lake. They do good work. It was enjoyable building with them.

funkytuqe
06-18-2014, 12:05 PM

Hi which builder(s) would include the sprayfoamed garage ceiling as standard? Do all new homes built within 2 to 3 years come with fully insulated garages as standard?

Built in 2012 by Excel homes. The garage it self is not heated, in the winter even on the coldest days the garage temp barely dips below 0C, and like i said no issues with a cold bedroom or floor.
The spray foaming on garage sealing was standard on my house, not sure if it is nessasarily starndard with all builders. If your builder is a certified GREEN builder then your probably going to get the same treatment to meet the standards. I would just ask the sales people for the specs and upgrade if nessasary.

avishal26
06-18-2014, 02:43 PM

I think getting sprayfoam as standard has more to do with price point than with the builders. When I was looking in 400 - 450k range brand new ( in 2012), not a single builder offered spray-foam insulation as standard.

However, most builders offered insulated garage with dry-wall mudded and primed as standard.

Ntense_SpecV
06-18-2014, 02:47 PM

However, most builders offered insulated garage with dry-wall mudded and primed as standard.

That shouldn't have even been an option as the fire code changed a few years before and required all builders to insulated and drywall to meet minimum code. Not sure of the exact date that the garage requirements changed but I do know that all attached garages now require a minimum of insulating and drywall (including mudding and taping).

16hypen3sp
06-18-2014, 03:59 PM
My builder has been around for a while. Throughout their years, many of their costumers were concerned over heat loss in the room over the garage. So they made spray foam standard. Not for the entire house, just for the room over the garage. I'm not sure if they had to change their price point because of that though.

Ntense is correct. Builders have to finish attached garages now. I want to say that requirement came into effect around 2010.

avishal26
06-18-2014, 07:03 PM
^Hmm didn't know that. I didn't mean to say that the drywall/insulation was optional when I was looking - I meant to say that most had that included already. (I say most because I only dealt with 6 or so builders so didn't want to generalize lol)

clem24
06-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Yeah I think I should get someone to insulate and drywall my garage.. Will probably help with my bonus room.

16hypen3sp
06-19-2014, 10:48 AM
^Hmm didn't know that. I didn't mean to say that the drywall/insulation was optional when I was looking - I meant to say that most had that included already. (I say most because I only dealt with 6 or so builders so didn't want to generalize lol)

Yah. I took a look into building in the spring of 2011. I was in the garage of a show home and made the comment about how the garage was finished. The sales rep said that the fire code rules had changed and all builders were now required to finish attached garages. My builder did all the required steps in the garage to the point of being ready for paint. Even roughed-in a gas line for a heater for me... still needs an exhaust port tho.

Originally posted by clem24
Yeah I think I should get someone to insulate and drywall my garage.. Will probably help with my bonus room.

If you can, you should look into spray foaming at least under your bonus room. I didn't think it would be as good as it is but wow, there is a huge difference. The "R" value is pretty damn good compared to the norm.

clem24
06-19-2014, 11:09 AM
If you can, you should look into spray foaming at least under your bonus room. I didn't think it would be as good as it is but wow, there is a huge difference. The "R" value is pretty damn good compared to the norm.

Anyone have recommendations and/or know how much this runs?

16hypen3sp
06-19-2014, 11:21 AM

Anyone have recommendations and/or know how much this runs?

It's expensive. That's all I know.

suntan
06-19-2014, 11:40 AM
To get my whole basement done would've cost me $10K.

If you want you can do it yourself:

http://www.lowes.ca/foam-insulation/touch-n-foam-polyurethane-foam-10-lb-cylinder_9839971.html?linkloc=reCanonical

oz388
06-19-2014, 01:04 PM

It's expensive. That's all I know.

and read this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-insulation-can-make-some-homes-unlivable-1.2224287

16hypen3sp
06-19-2014, 01:25 PM

and read this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-insulation-can-make-some-homes-unlivable-1.2224287

Someone had told me about this before construction started on my house. I knew a few other people with spray foam that said it was great so I went ahead with it and I'm glad I did. I have no issues whatsoever with this product.

I read that article and that's just typical CBC. One of their viewers has a "problem" with spray foam, contacted CBC, CBC does as much digging for random people on the subject as possible to create a biased as hell article.

It's just buyer beware. Improper installation goes across the entire trades board when it comes to building a house.

I wouldn't let that article scare me.

clem24
06-19-2014, 01:40 PM
I read that article and that's just typical CBC. One of their viewers has a "problem" with spray foam, contacted CBC, CBC does as much digging for random people on the subject as possible to create a biased as hell article.

I don't get that sense.. Straight from the article:

While the majority of spray foam installations occur without incident, problems can be costly and difficult to repair, and have led to a string of lawsuits in the U.S. as homeowners attempt to recover costs.

All they're saying is that installed properly it's fine but if the contractor fucks up you're basically royally screwed.

Sounds interesting though not sure I'd go to spray foam route anyway. Would just get the garage insulated and drywalled at most. Which I suppose isn't a super hard task but like I have time for this shit LOL.

16hypen3sp
06-19-2014, 01:49 PM

I don't get that sense.. Straight from the article:

All they're saying is that installed properly it's fine but if the contractor fucks up you're basically royally screwed.

Sounds interesting though not sure I'd go to spray foam route anyway. Would just get the garage insulated and drywalled at most. Which I suppose isn't a super hard task but like I have time for this shit LOL.

True, my friend... what it really comes down to is that you just have to hope that it doesn't happen to you. I have friends with houses built in '07 that are fantastic. I also have friends with houses built in the same year that are falling apart... literally just crumbling away.

suntan
06-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Some of the older products are indeed really not that great.

Spray foam was popularized in the 70s actually. But that product failed spectacularly (would not adhere to wood after a few months, would decompose, would smell awful for years), and so it was relegated to the junk heap.

Some of the stuff from the early 2000s was also not that great. It performs, but yeah, as the article mentions offgassing was a serious problem. Isocyanates are quite the irritant.

Newer stuff is supposed to be way better. BASF says so. ;)

funkytuqe
06-19-2014, 03:48 PM
In my experience there is a huge difference between regular insulation and spray foaming. Not only do you get better R-value, but it seems to seal off the room much better and you don't get the cold drafts (which i suppse translates to R-value in the end). Houses with regualr insulation on the garage ceiling or other over hanging areas don't seem to perform as well as the spray foam.

AndyL
06-19-2014, 05:19 PM
No r value is different - drafts fall under the u value quotient, air infiltration; normal construction provided by vapor barrier - spray foam however yes seals much better...

freshprince1
06-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Definitely want to go with Spray Foam Insulation. Just use a reputable contractor. I used to work for a spray foam company, and that stuff is amazing. Excellent ability to manage and Maximize R-Value, huge help with sound proofing, drafts...etc. I understand drafts fall under a different value, but through spraying it on, it becomes one large piece of insulation that seals a lot of cracks and joints.

There's a reason all the home builders include it in their packages now. We're building a house and have the Master Suite over the garage. It'll be spray foamed, and I'm not worried at all.