PDA

View Full Version : Driving with a pre-existing injury?

nzwasp
06-19-2014, 10:27 AM
If you have a injury already - say a broken arm and you cause an accident can you get denied insurance because the insurance company denies coverage based on your pre-existing injury?

Or do those types of conditions not exist on policies?

ExtraSlow
06-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Are you saying the pre-existing injury is a factor in causing the accident?

nzwasp
06-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Could be if you cant operate your vehicle as per normal. Say you cant move your arm to swerve and avoid object that darts across the road.

I read my policy and it didnt say anything about it, although it also doesnt say anything about driving drunk. So im sure insurance covers you regardless of what happens.

This is a theorectical situation.

Tik-Tok
06-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
although it also doesnt say anything about driving drunk.

It may not specifically say "driving drunk", but probably says something about coverage void while driving illegally (which occurs when you're drunk)

E46..sTyLez
06-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

It may not specifically say "driving drunk", but probably says something about coverage void while driving illegally (which occurs when you're drunk)

It doesn't have to be in your policy, it is in the Alberta insurance code or whatever it is called. It is a universal code book so to speak regarding insurance practice in Alberta (sorry I don't recall what it is called). Basically what an insurance lawyer will use instead of your specific policy. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is definitely in there. That said, the only thing that is void if you are DUI is the coverage on your vehicle. Liability is still covered (the other person's car)

nzwasp
06-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Anyway this is more about driving with an injury which i guess is fine unless the doctor took away your license. I cant imagine that being legal though.

16hypen3sp
06-19-2014, 01:07 PM
What if I'm driving my car/bike without my glasses? That would be driving illegally wouldn't it? Licence says I must drive with glasses/contacts.

So if I crash without my specs on... my insurance won't cover my car? (If I have full coverage.)

Note: I always drive/ride with my glasses on. ALWAYS!

Black Gts
06-19-2014, 02:53 PM
I had a broken wrist last year, I drove to all my appointments and every once on awhile a nurse would tell me I was driving illegally. I went on vacation and rented a car with a cast on so I really don't know lol, and when I went back to work I was driving an 18 speed still with a cast on, so I don't think it's illegal.

Graham_A_M
06-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
What if I'm driving my car/bike without my glasses? That would be driving illegally wouldn't it? Licence says I must drive with glasses/contacts.

So if I crash without my specs on... my insurance won't cover my car? (If I have full coverage.)

Note: I always drive/ride with my glasses on. ALWAYS!

Perhaps, but it says right on my license that I need adequate lenses to drive, its one of the conditional codes. Yet Ive been pulled over (wow) probably at least a dozen times or more since losing my glasses, and a cop or anybody else have yet to say anything about it, ever. :dunno:

sr20s14zenki
06-20-2014, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez

It doesn't have to be in your policy, it is in the Alberta insurance code or whatever it is called. It is a universal code book so to speak regarding insurance practice in Alberta (sorry I don't recall what it is called). Basically what an insurance lawyer will use instead of your specific policy. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is definitely in there. That said, the only thing that is void if you are DUI is the coverage on your vehicle. Liability is still covered (the other person's car)

You are thinking SPF-1 i believe

16hypen3sp
06-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Perhaps, but it says right on my license that I need adequate lenses to drive, its one of the conditional codes. Yet Ive been pulled over (wow) probably at least a dozen times or more since losing my glasses, and a cop or anybody else have yet to say anything about it, ever. :dunno:

I know, they almost never check. I have seen one cop check my friend for his contacts. That's the only time I've ever seen it happen.

E46..sTyLez
06-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

You are thinking SPF-1 i believe

Yep, that's the one! It's on page 9 under 'Exclusions'. Thanks

clem24
06-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Do those endorsement codes on the back of a Driver's License actually mean anything? On mine, the only one with real meaning is "a: Adequate Lenses". Otherwise it says I can drive a school bus because I completed some training course (I didn't), likewise car with air brakes, I have automatic transmission, etc... LOL.

heavyfuel
06-23-2014, 04:01 PM
I'm driving 6 weeks post-op on my knee and leg right now. Called my insurance company just to be sure and they said the main issue is if your doctor/surgeon says you can't drive. As long as they don't provide a letter telling you not to drive you're fine.