PDA

View Full Version : Best Restaurant in Canmore or Banff?

trieu
06-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Searched the topic but most threads are pretty outdated. Taking my GF there for our anniversary, trying to find a good restaurant to take her to in either Banff or Canmore. Does not have to be super fancy but looking for a good date restaurant. Open to almost all types of food but she loves Italian.
Thanks

Tik-Tok
06-23-2014, 10:44 PM
Grizzly House.

Cos
06-23-2014, 10:49 PM

jaeden
06-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Did this a couple years ago, its a cool experience. Not much choice in food (prime rib or veggie option) and only two specific seating times per night, but if weather is nice you can go up the gondola and walk around a bit.

http://www.brewster.ca/rocky-mountains/destinations/banff/activities/banff-gondola-alpine-lights/

BlueHaloGirl
06-24-2014, 09:22 AM
In Canmore check out the CrazyWeed on railway Ave...amazing fusion food.
If you like to share dishes you can also try out Tapas on 10th st. in Canmore.

For Banff I also recommend the Grizzly House...try the exotic hot rock!!! Alligator, frogs legs, rattlesnake....etc.

n1zm0
06-24-2014, 09:54 AM
There's 2 italian restaurants there iirc, I've only done Ticino, the reason being is it's swiss-italian which is a whole other kind of culture/cuisine apparently and that's why we wanted to try it, thought it was great, never went to the other one though. I found the difference with that kind of food there's less emphasis on the stereotypical pasta dishes, it's more like meat that's cooked in amazing sauces.

I'll also say Grizzly House for the experience, but if you're planning to go out after that to Aurora or whatever, make sure you bring a change of clothes unless you're ok with smelling like fried meat the rest of the night :D

I tried Tooloulou's earlier this year, all out cajun/creole stuff, like crawfish platter (which I had), all that southern Louisiana stuff, was a nice change.

Swank
06-24-2014, 11:23 AM
+1 for Grizzly House. Stop by Eddie Burger later for a drink called a Trash Can, those are tasty and get you feeling pretty good :D

If you're overnighting then hit up Chaya for some wicked noodles before you hit the road to head home, great hangover treatment too if you have too many Trash Cans, haha

Xtrema
06-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by BlueHaloGirl
In Canmore check out the CrazyWeed on railway Ave...amazing fusion food.

Another vouch for CrazyWeed, love that place.

BavarianBeast
06-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Woldorf House (sp??) is great. It's just below the Banff Springs by Bow Falls.

Great fondue, but slightly more pricey than most. Bill for 2 of us was close to $500 for 3 courses and drinks.

bignerd
06-24-2014, 12:34 PM
I did not like the Grizzly House. Very very expensive (I think you can get more for the same amount of money at some other restaurant that is not based on a novel method of cooking food). Plus you go home with your hair and clothes smelling like oil and cooking food.

I wasn't overly impressed.

Would rather go to Crazy Weed in Canmore.

Canmorite
06-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Trough in Canmore, has won many many awards in the past. http://www.thetrough.ca/

mr2mike
06-24-2014, 01:17 PM
magpie and stump?:dunno:

BlueHaloGirl
06-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Woldorf House (sp??) is great. It's just below the Banff Springs by Bow Falls.

Great fondue, but slightly more pricey than most. Bill for 2 of us was close to $500 for 3 courses and drinks.

You mean the Waldhaus...yeah great fondue but pricey...that's Fairmont for ya!!
Worked at the hotel for 9 years...it's way overpriced IMO.

blitz
06-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Trough in Canmore, has won many many awards in the past. http://www.thetrough.ca/

This gets my vote, everything I've had there has been amazing.

bleu
06-24-2014, 06:07 PM
I love Grizzly House, but you do come out smelling like BBQ afterwards.

beyond_ban
06-24-2014, 06:26 PM
+1 for CrazyWeed, one of my favorite places to eat.

trieu
06-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Looking like the Trough or CrazyWeed will be one of the places we go too, thanks for the suggestions all.

theken
06-24-2014, 10:03 PM
I don't care personally for the grizzly house, it is an experience, but not the best, I really enjoyed bison in banff, awesome service, really good food, not too high end but nice, awesome caesar

Christian@IE
06-24-2014, 10:15 PM
Crazyweed in Canmore, as previously mentioned is very nice but honestly for an anniversary dinner I would much rather Tapas (which was also mentioned earlier by BlueHaloGirl).

It's smaller dishes that are meant to be shared which makes for a more intimate meal, and they also have a much more romantic setting. They have a live Spanish guitarist on certain nights as well.