PDA

View Full Version : Trinity/Paskapoo

bigboom
06-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Not sure who here might be impacted by this but the talk about developing the lower area of the Eastlands at COP is back on the table.

Personally I use the Eastlands a lot for biking/hiking and think it would be a shame to see the city lose something like this. Not to mention the traffic nightmare that would occur if they allowed a large development to be built right on the Transcanada at Sarcee.

Anyways, regardless of whether you are for or against this development there is an open house being held on the 26th at the Calgary French and International School, 700 – 77 St SW between 4-9pm for people to give feedback.

Yes, the area being put up for discussion is privately owned and not by the city but it was purchased under current zoning and there is an opportunity now to prevent this area from being destroyed.

http://www.calgary.ca/engage/Pages/Trinity-Paskapoo.aspx

nzwasp
06-24-2014, 09:14 AM
So if its privately owned, are all those mountain bikers using it while trespassing?

bigboom
06-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
So if its privately owned, are all those mountain bikers using it while trespassing?

Good place to find this out would be at the open house :)

mazdavirgin
06-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp

Yeah pretty much... I don't think it's the bikers though who are going to complain about this. It's the dog walkers who are probably going to be losing their shit over this. They tried to prevent bikers from being in there in the first place and have had the dirt jumps mowed down... The dog lobby in Calgary is pretty nutty and strong.

End of the day it's private land they should be able to develop it if they choose too. I don't think the bikers are going to have any qualms over this.

SmAcKpOo
06-24-2014, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't go as far as saying the dog lobby is nutty. There is a serious lack of available off leash space in this city that dog owners get frustrated when they consistently see off leash green space being taken away for development.

FraserB
06-24-2014, 09:49 AM

a social dsease
06-24-2014, 10:00 AM
If it's privately owned the developer should be able to do whatever they want with the land.

That said, I am very disappointed that we could lose such a fantastic spot for outdoor recreation in such an accessible location. I think this city really lacks adequate green space and it's a shame to bulldoze a sizeable portion of what little we have left in order to erect yet another cookie cutter strip mall. Part of what makes Calgary a desirable city to live in is that we have these great outdoor recreation opportunities within the city limits, unfortunately as we destroy these locations in favour of more development we are also destroying the character and livability of the city. From an overall city perspective, what provides more long-term value to the populace; a park with a fantastic network of biking and hiking trails, or a strip mall?

benyl
06-24-2014, 10:02 AM
saw this on the COC facebook feed and some of the comments are nutty.

It's private land.

I read that 160 of the 260 acres will be giving to the city and remain green space.

mazdavirgin
06-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
I wouldn't go as far as saying the dog lobby is nutty. There is a serious lack of available off leash space in this city that dog owners get frustrated when they consistently see off leash green space being taken away for development.

My experience is most of them just go to the local school ground and let their dogs run off leash and take a dump in the playground. Signs saying no dogs or dogs must be leashed don't really apply to people with dogs. Their little mutt is special and not like the other dogs. :rolleyes: I mean seriously off leash areas like nose hill are gross in the spring. Dog crap and dog crap bags all over the damn place.

FraserB
06-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by a social dsease
If it's privately owned the developer should be able to do whatever they want with the land.

That said, I am very disappointed that we could lose such a fantastic spot for outdoor recreation in such an accessible location. I think this city really lacks adequate green space and it's a shame to bulldoze a sizeable portion of what little we have left in order to erect yet another cookie cutter strip mall. Part of what makes Calgary a desirable city to live in is that we have these great outdoor recreation opportunities within the city limits, unfortunately as we destroy these locations in favour of more development we are also destroying the character and livability of the city. From an overall city perspective, what provides more long-term value to the populace; a park with a fantastic network of biking and hiking trails, or a strip mall?

Money talks for the land owners. More money in developing land you already own than letting people continue to use your land for free. With everyone who says they use these places, there is nothing stopping them from purchasing a parcel for use.

SmAcKpOo
06-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

My experience is most of them just go to the local school ground and let their dogs run off leash and take a dump in the playground. Signs saying no dogs or dogs must be leashed don't really apply to people with dogs. Their little mutt is special and not like the other dogs. :rolleyes: I mean seriously off leash areas like nose hill are gross in the spring. Dog crap and dog crap bags all over the damn place.

Agreed, both Nose Hill and Southland are fucking disgusting.

The attitudes of most dog owners need to change. I pick up after my dog ALWAYS but yet I see people just letting their dog shit because they think off leash means they don't have to pick it up.

Typical Calgary attitude of not giving fucks about anyone else but yourself.

SOAB
06-24-2014, 11:09 AM

Typical Calgary attitude of not giving fucks about anyone else but yourself.

I'm tired of people saying this. It is typical of the fuckers that have moved here since the boom, not Calgarians.

clem24
06-25-2014, 03:01 PM
The attitudes of most dog owners need to change. I pick up after my dog ALWAYS but yet I see people just letting their dog shit because they think off leash means they don't have to pick it up.

If you happen to see what they drove in, next time, pick it up and then dump the contents over their windshield...

It's funny too reading that comment and seeing your username.

codetrap
06-25-2014, 03:14 PM

Agreed, both Nose Hill and Southland are fucking disgusting.

Typical Calgary attitude of not giving fucks about anyone else but yourself. Yeah!!! And what about all that deer shit! Fucking deer. Something should be done I tell ya. Or all the coyote shit. Fucking bird shit too...

:whipped:

mazdavirgin
06-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Yeah!!! And what about all that deer shit! Fucking deer. Something should be done I tell ya. Or all the coyote shit. Fucking bird shit too...

:whipped:

So I take it you don't clean up after your dogs because the deer don't clean up after themselves? Hope you are being facetious... The number of dogs taking a dump in the off leash areas far exceeds the wildlife. I have never run into as much shit on the ground anywhere else but in off leash dog parks.

codetrap
06-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

So I take it you don't clean up after your dogs because the deer don't clean up after themselves? Hope you are being facetious... The number of dogs taking a dump in the off leash areas far exceeds the wildlife. I have never run into as much shit on the ground anywhere else but in off leash dog parks. Yeah, I'm being totally facetious. I tried to make it obvious. :)

speedog
06-25-2014, 06:43 PM
If one looks at these plans, it is quite apparent that all that is being developed is the open grassy areas near the Transcanada highway. Everything up top and all of the treed areas is pretty much being left alone and especially so for all the wooded stuff above the open grassy areas.

Now considering this, is anyone losing much here - all I know is that there is often very few people if anyone down in the grassy areas whenever I've driven by there.

g-m
06-25-2014, 08:39 PM
I do a loop a few times a week walking. It's awesome, its like hiking out in the foothills somewhere but a 5 minute walk from my house. I'll go to the french school tomorrow

a social dsease
06-25-2014, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by speedog
If one looks at these plans, it is quite apparent that all that is being developed is the open grassy areas near the Transcanada highway. Everything up top and all of the treed areas is pretty much being left alone and especially so for all the wooded stuff above the open grassy areas.

Now considering this, is anyone losing much here - all I know is that there is often very few people if anyone down in the grassy areas whenever I've driven by there.

Here's a link to the trail-map:

http://www.cmbalink.com/eastlands-trail-map/

Development map is here (scroll down):

http://trinityhills.ca/

I wish I had to compu-skills to overlay the two, but I don't. But it looks like the northern most 1/3rd to 1/2 the trails (roughly) would be wiped out or affected in some way. Pretty significant if you ask me.

In this article ( http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Developer+pitches+Whistler+Village+concept+Paskapoo+Slopes/9971194/story.html ) it says Trinity (the developer) only paid $40 million for the land, 2 years ago. For that price could the city/province etc not buy the land and turn it into a park? As I stated above I think the land holds more value to citizens as a park then as a strip-mall.

benyl
06-26-2014, 09:18 AM
I wish they would extend 85th street from bowness up the hill. That would save so much time for so many people. haha

speedog
06-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Here's a rough overlay - not half, not even a third. Probably closer to a 1/4...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5040260/pics/east-hills.jpg

Originally posted by a social dsease

Here's a link to the trail-map:

http://www.cmbalink.com/eastlands-trail-map/

Development map is here (scroll down):

http://trinityhills.ca/

I wish I had to compu-skills to overlay the two, but I don't. But it looks like the northern most 1/3rd to 1/2 the trails (roughly) would be wiped out or affected in some way. Pretty significant if you ask me.

In this article ( http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Developer+pitches+Whistler+Village+concept+Paskapoo+Slopes/9971194/story.html ) it says Trinity (the developer) only paid $40 million for the land, 2 years ago. For that price could the city/province etc not buy the land and turn it into a park? As I stated above I think the land holds more value to citizens as a park then as a strip-mall.