PDA

View Full Version : Rides within city limits?

adamc
06-25-2014, 12:55 AM
Guys, I find myself in two riding situations lately:

1) either just zipping down to meet friends at Beano/Ship
2) going on longer rides to canmore, k-country, B.C. etc.

My dilemma is this, when I meet up with other cafe buddies, we end up wanting to go for a little burn around town after shooting the shit.

Other than Old Banff Coach Road, I'm always at a bit of a loss for fun little jaunts within the city limits.

Doesn't necessarily have to be high speed, I'm on bike that I can definitely bend corners with, but I don't have the clearance of a sportbike either.

I live on the fringe of downtown renfrew/mayland area and often find myself going for dusk cruises up around crescent heights or along memorial, but am looking for suggestions on other scenic/fun/fast roads to hooligan around without leathering up and riding an hour to the mountains.

Thx!

avishal26
06-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Other than Old Banff road which you already mentioned, and going on and off Stoney on cloverleafs, there are unfortunately not many fun roads in Calgary - mainly due to traffic.

This is part of the reason I sold my bike this year - my tires were starting to get square lol too much highway/straight driving. Even when you go to Banff, you have to drive 100kms straight first... :(

ercchry
06-25-2014, 09:34 AM
really not much... couple short circuits that are alright though

https://goo.gl/maps/agKUq

https://goo.gl/maps/TpEIg

Rocket1k78
06-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Thats the shitty part of bike ownership in Calgary, not enough fun roads to ride on. I swapped tires this spring and went for a harder compound because the softer compounds were squaring off way too fast. I've also noticed a lot of the older clover leafs are pretty sketchy with the dips and bumps in them so i'd take it easy you're first time hitting one.

Worse case you can always go down to the shell on 17th and just hang bahahaha

adamc
06-25-2014, 03:50 PM
There are nice stretches within the city that are not necessarily technical or fast riding roads.

IE; from where I live to downtown I take the 8th ave flyover, then down 10th street NE into bridgeland, which is a beautiful leafy green road. Through Bridgeland and onto memorial is nice too, love riding along the river at night.

Just looking for everyone's favorite little piece of road.

Last night I rode up through Crescent Heights, admired the view, down 10th N.W. into Kensington.

Sometimes we like to piss off the elite and zip up and around through the streets of upper mount royal.

Stuff like that. It's out there, just gotta find it.

jltabot
06-25-2014, 03:58 PM
I always liked the little weavy section on mcknight between john laurie and 4st

very short lived though haha

:dunno:

Zetsu
06-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by jltabot

Yeah that's a fun one. You can usually get a nice rip Eastbound from under the over pass in. There's one corner Westbound memorial NE onto 19th st. love that corner lol.. Its just one corner though hahah

Rocket1k78
06-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by jltabot

Lol thats a favorite of mine too but so short. Memorial is probably my favorite stretch for a nice cruise, you got some mild corners, nice scenery and its a long stretch.

I got to ride Mullholland road in Cali and I kind of wished i hadn't, after experiencing that i get pretty bitter around here.