PDA

View Full Version : Memories of Race City

DeathBy240
06-25-2014, 09:54 AM
I know my experience at Race City pales in comparison to many of the members here, but I wanted to share a post I made on my memories of the track.

Blog is here:
http://traveldriverace.com/2014/memories-race-city-calgary/

What are the best memories you have from Race City?

Darell_n
06-25-2014, 10:34 AM
I used to enjoy watching the Big Rigs ram holes in the wall around the oval. I spent every weekend at the track for the first 4 or 5 years after moving to Calgary in '94, but only ever competed in Secret Street on Fridays.

BananaFob
06-25-2014, 11:44 AM
One of the most memorable for me was one of my first times out where I almost stained my pants brown. Definitely learned the value of bleeding my brake fluid and cooling down every few laps or so. Probably was around 9-10 hot laps in my 944 turbo, barreling down the back straight and pressed down on the brake pedal....... and it went down to the floor. Definite oh shit moment. Just barely managed to save it and pumped the brakes hard (no abs) and missed the wall :)

Dave P
06-25-2014, 12:07 PM
I really Miss Race city.

I swear I spent the summers there. Between Bike racing, supermoto, and claimer cars, we lived there.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-25-2014, 12:12 PM
I remember on the very last open lapping day barreling around the track for lap after lap in my LGT with 5 guys in the car until I ran out of brake pads.

carson blocks
06-25-2014, 12:21 PM
I've raced cars and bikes there, run on the oval track, drag strip, and roadcourse and spent time there as a spectator, racer, and teacher. Here are my memorable moments:

- Building an enduro stock car at 18 years old, and building it right to the rule book like a total idiot. Rules said the motor that came with the car, and my car wasn't available with a 350, so I ran a boat anchor 305. I hadn't learned yet how to 'interpret' rule books. My muffler was the only non-compliant item, and was a similar-to-spec muffler that had come with the car, but wasn't the exact part. I remember a more experienced racer bitching at tech that my muffler wasn't the spec Midas SK124 and the tech stood up for me and IIRC told the guy that the rest of the car was more by-the-book than his and basically since it was a slow turd with a 305 and a new driver, until I started winning races he was turning a blind eye to the muffler. Awesome guy.

- Spending hours every week at the wrecker hunting down used tires in the specified size to run on my stock car until I had enough decent tires for a season. After the first practice their race director said she had some complaints about the tire size rule and changed the spec tire size to a larger, more common tire. With not much time before the first race and absolutely no money, I had to go to a used tire shop and managed to trade my whole seasons stockpile of tires for 6-8 used tires in the new size which I figured I could make last at least 1-2 races if I was careful. The week after that, she said she had enough complaints and changed it back to the old spec tire size..

- Wrecking my stock car hard on the inside of the oval as a racer spun out higher on the banking and rolled down in to me. To add insult to injury, the announcer had made it sound like my fault as I was a new racer, and the other racer went on to win the race with relatively minor damage while my car was genuinely wrecked. The newspaper ran an article on him winning despite being taken out by a new racer which pissed me off. Truthfully, I may not have know what the hell I was doing out there yet, but I really don't feel that one was my fault at all. No hard feelings against the other racer as it's racing and shit happens, but I just didn't like the way it was spun afterwards.

- Taking second place and getting some cash and a trophy in my first bracket racing event on a bone stock bike I'd just bought, as a dumb squid wearing jeans, cowboy boots, a Sears leather jacket and my old stock car racing helmet, which was all legal above 10.99 if I recall. I got really lucky and had a bunch of bye runs and some dumb luck, but it felt good to do well the first time out, and I'm sure I was judged a bit (rightfully so) by the other racers with their proper race bikes, full leathers, etc.

- Teaching the 'Too Cool' advanced school at Race City. I was never one of the truly fast guys around the track, but it was really rewarding to be able to take what I had learned over 7-8 years of studying riding and show some street riders how to navigate corners a bit better.

- Watching the big rig racing with my dad. My whole family is in to trucking and watching those trucks tear up the oval, throwing clouds of black smoke and chunks of asphalt in to the stands is one of my best childhood memories.

The track was far from perfect, as was the management, but it was sure nice having some motorsports outlet in town and I only realize now how much I miss it and took having a track of any sort for granted.

DeleriousZ
06-25-2014, 01:26 PM
I missed the majority of it. Went to a couple secret street events to spectate and one VW meet. Managed to blast out a 19s run with my half broken golf lol.

speedog
06-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Started going to races there back when it opened in 1985, started volunteering out there in 1988 and did so for about 5 years or so until kids came along and priorities changed.

Usually worked entrance or exit to/from the outside pits on the oval - saw some pretty wild shit. Remember one guy in a enduro stock car race who got black flagged to come into the pits because he was running with no fuel cap on one of those crazy derby races - he stopped and then tried to get back onto the oval with a rag stuffed in the hole. Speaking of enduro races, I remember one race where there were so many cars entered that it was a rolling start with cars three abreast all the way around the oval - 75 or so cars at that race.

Remember one oval race where some one crashed and had a front wheel completely separate from their car - the wheel got smacked by another racer going full speed and the distance that wheel traveled up and out of the oval was astounding. For sure if it had gone into the stands, someone would've been dead.

The semi races on the oval - just incredible. Such dirty, dirty events to work at though. Didn't work many road coarse events - kind of boring for the most part as a worker as you only got to see what was happening at the section of the track you were assigned to. Only worked clean-up crew on the wrecker once - yeah, while the clean-up crew got to watch a lot of racing but the clean-up part was a bitch when you were called into action. Working pit entrances/exits or in the pits put one in closer contact with the racers but you didn't really get to see the race. Never worked a drag event although I did watch a few and did go to a few of the early secret street events - something this city sorely needs with the closure of Race City.

And the food/facilities - they just were never all that good. Horrible place to be on those cold and gloomy days but on those beautiful summer evenings - it was a great way to spend en evening.

Hallowed_point
06-25-2014, 02:50 PM
First time I went to secret street with my brother I thought that helmets were mandatory. So here we are renting helmets to run 20 second e/t's in my old mk4 auto non turbo jetta. :facepalm:

BavarianBeast
06-25-2014, 02:54 PM
running a 13.2 in my supercharged cobalt in 2006.

n1zm0
06-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Maybe it was a Solo II thing, or maybe it was the oval track autocross course, anyways my first S13, I learnt the value of having proper tires and SS brake lines that night.

rage2
06-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Upside down. :(

http://www.virgeweb.com/pix/ouch.jpg

carson blocks
06-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Upside down.

How did you manage that?

Graham_A_M
06-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Just remembering all the track days I did there on my Triumph, had a blast, so far to date my best lap time was 1:32 flat, not bad on a bone stock 675cc sportbike, but pathetic when the racers on their highly modded liter bikes were doing 1:16's :(

But... towards the end, I stopped doing them, as that track was just in horrific shape for even cars, forget on bikes, when the bike is just bucking like a bronco under you going over the very rough pavement. Not exactly confidence inspiring when you're hanging off your bike doing 150. :nut:
So my last track day was two years before they closed. Just not worth it paying that much for a track day, and shredding some expensive tires just to do laps on a track of that shape. :rolleyes:

94boosted
06-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Many memories from Race City a couple that stand out:

- First time joining the 100MPH club in my old Cobalt SS Turbo, boy was I happy, went in to the tower to claim my sticker with the biggest shit eating grin imaginable
- First time doing an open lapping day and having to avoid pot holes on course :rofl:

Aleks
06-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Upside down. :(

I was there when that happened.

I think at one point I went to secret street every friday for 2-3 years lol. I have well over 100 passes there and all the slips somewhere in the old file folder. Good times.

rage2
06-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks
How did you manage that?
Let someone else with no skills drive the car. :rofl:

benyl
06-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

I was there when that happened.

So was I. That is my STi in the picture.

Totally forgot about that incident. That was like 10 years ago.

ercchry
06-26-2014, 10:25 AM
so many events... but the sunday funday year enders were always the most fun

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/334761_10150302936491961_66917336_o.jpg

Darkane
06-26-2014, 10:38 AM
I think I've raced 4 different cars during secret street.

Turbo civic
Fg2 civic
Trans am
Integra

Good times. Went a lot in the mid 2000's.

Was always cheering on Aleks' integra!

Zfans 300 was a favourite for sure too.

euro_racer
06-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

I think at one point I went to secret street every friday for 2-3 years lol. I have well over 100 passes there and all the slips somewhere in the old file folder. Good times.

Man I miss that car...

Boosted131
06-26-2014, 11:46 AM
I spent lots of Fridays there at secret street, either racing or watching. Also did a track day with my own car, and rode in many others.

Favorite moments at the track would be:
-riding in the supercharged m3 (600 hp) aka TRAKRAT
-riding in the modded 911, just as fast as m3
- doing the track day and oval in my own car

88CRX
06-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Every time I watch this back it makes me miss Racecity even more....

Offroad
06-26-2014, 01:17 PM
http://vimeo.com/60436122

Ekliptix
06-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Watching my Dad drag race his El Camino when I was 14.

Taking my first car drag racing at 16 (91 Integra). I was at the staging light and so nervous, the RPM was bouncing around from my foot shaking. When I shifted into 2nd, my tape deck fell out and landed on my shifter and ruined my run. My best in that car was 17.1 but it was more exciting then going 11.3 at 125 is now in my Z06.

My Dad letting me take my Mom's Stealth TT/RT down the track. First and last time trying AWD launches at the track. 14.3 or something.

Taking my first V8 (1993 5L Mustang with 4psi blower) to the track. Did 14.6 or something. Improving on driving and getting into the 13's. Adjusting things and buying used MT Sportman tires and getting into the 12's. Later, in the video below, I had my best time which turned out to be 0.01 seconds faster then my Dad's best time in his El Camino. He as in BC at the time, but I called him to tell him and he was happy for me.
-6hVz8eaHiU

Later, getting my 02 Z06, running 13.6 initially and later getting it down to 12.1 launching it at 5,500.

So fun. Waiting in tech on a nice day was really exciting. But mainly because it brought my Dad and I closer together with something we both were passionate about.

A Solo 2 training day with a couple 403Honda members was awesome too, in the Teg (Buhbuh and someone else). I still have gif 'drifting' around some pillons with mad ebrake skills, with Darud Sandstorm as background music.

speedog
06-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Every time I watch this back it makes me miss Racecity
Kind of suspect we won't have the same grass roots kind of racing with the new Airdrie track plus still no oval or 1/4 miler - so many people used to race on all 3 venues at Race City.

Mibz
06-26-2014, 05:51 PM
I only went once, but I can't remember ever being as nervous as my first time lining up at Race City. Z_Fan and GoChris did absolutely nothing to allay that fear either.

Maxt
06-26-2014, 06:38 PM
The earlier years of the porsche club track days when we did the back half track timed runs.
Both myself and my car got a lot faster because of those events. The later full laps were fun, but had more rules which took away some of the enjoyment.

Toma
06-27-2014, 12:18 AM
OMG.... Race City was almost my life lol. Was there for the first ever secret street. Was there before that for test and tune Wednesdays. When secret street started, The Herald was there doing a story, and I was interviewed, and mentioned as a "reformed street racer" ... lol.

I think started going sometime in early 90's. Even volunteered and did tech for a few years.

Most memorable things:

A buddy and I rented it privately and organized Alberta's first ever import shoot out.

The old Stang won Alberta's fastest street car shootout in 1999. Cold, late at night, old girl spun half way down the track to a 10.16 Video : http://members.shaw.ca/tomakicovic/toma1015.wmv

Runner up in 2000, because I was DQ'd for going too fast for the safety equipment on the car. Video: http://members.shaw.ca/tomakicovic/toma988.wmv

Semi finals in 2001 I split the stock 302 block into 2 pieces, oiled the track down so bad they shut the whole lane down for the night.

Going "fast" in domestics was "too easy", so I started transitioning into "imports" and compacts, and in 2002 my little GLH Omni was slayin V8's lol. I loved to pick on Camaro's, Mustangs and Vettes. My favourite was fall 2002, as the brand new 2003 SRT10 Viper came out, my buddy Marty (race city tech and staging guy) thought it would be funny to line my Omni up against a new Viper that made it to secret street. Not once, but twice. I beat him both times. He was slightly faster, but newbie driver, snoozed at the light, or spun, or missed a shift. I got a full standing ovation after the second run lol. Video of one of the runs that night: http://members.shaw.ca/thedyno/GLHvsViper.wmv

The Viper guy I heard shipped the car down to Hennessy the week after lol!!

Man, Loved that place. Probably raced there for 15 years, rarely missing a Secret Street.

SideSwipe
06-27-2014, 07:59 PM
I just generally miss the track days. I never once ran secret street though. It really sucks not having some place to drive your car around.

the smell of a well used car on a Saturday morning at 10:30AM- very nearly one hour into the days event:nut:.

Changing tires, rotors, pads, and fluids so much that what once took me a whole day to complete only took about 10 minutes.

The interesting people and crazy cars. I think I tracked against a Lola and a Can-Am race car a couple times. Following an old muscle car (or maybe it was the Can-Am) around the track only to have my window washed by race gas.

Those damn pot holes.

That damn swamp I flew ass backwards into a couple times but never sunk my car into- "awe shit... ". It was usually a good indicator of how well my Hoosiers were doing.

Driving home on sticky tires... sandblasting people who rode my ass. Sorry If I got anyone on here.

Driving home after a rain storm on sticky tires. The lack of any grooves meant that water sprayed around the car in a 50 foot radius.

My most favorite was the Turn Three Door Slammer. There are a couple lines you could have taken through that turn but as you started driving faster and faster you could not slow down enough in turns one and two to take the outside line in three... so we'd take the inside line. The result was we'd scare the living shit out of the people in front of us. From their perspective all you'd see if you looked left was a sports car coming at your door at 300mph.

thager
06-28-2014, 12:47 AM
i was there every weekend with my dad , he was in the demo derby's back when they were every weekend, the dirty dozen demo club rented a acreage one block west beside the dump for all the guys to store and work on there cars.
i even got to go in the pits when the did the demo in the saddledome with the monster trucks.

Cooked Rice
06-28-2014, 01:54 AM
I remember we had a BBQ in the washroom cause it was pouring rain out. :rofl:

e31
06-28-2014, 10:39 AM
About as exciting as oval track racing goes... (http://tinypic.com/r/sotgmv/8)

Darell_n
06-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by e31
About as exciting as oval track racing goes... (http://tinypic.com/r/sotgmv/8)

Not too exciting on an Apple device, have a link on another site?

Shlade
06-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Toma
OMG.... Race City was almost my life lol. Was there for the first ever secret street. Was there before that for test and tune Wednesdays. When secret street started, The Herald was there doing a story, and I was interviewed, and mentioned as a "reformed street racer" ... lol.

I think started going sometime in early 90's. Even volunteered and did tech for a few years.

Most memorable things:

A buddy and I rented it privately and organized Alberta's first ever import shoot out.

The old Stang won Alberta's fastest street car shootout in 1999. Cold, late at night, old girl spun half way down the track to a 10.16 Video : http://members.shaw.ca/tomakicovic/toma1015.wmv

Runner up in 2000, because I was DQ'd for going too fast for the safety equipment on the car. Video: http://members.shaw.ca/tomakicovic/toma988.wmv

Semi finals in 2001 I split the stock 302 block into 2 pieces, oiled the track down so bad they shut the whole lane down for the night.

Going "fast" in domestics was "too easy", so I started transitioning into "imports" and compacts, and in 2002 my little GLH Omni was slayin V8's lol. I loved to pick on Camaro's, Mustangs and Vettes. My favourite was fall 2002, as the brand new 2003 SRT10 Viper came out, my buddy Marty (race city tech and staging guy) thought it would be funny to line my Omni up against a new Viper that made it to secret street. Not once, but twice. I beat him both times. He was slightly faster, but newbie driver, snoozed at the light, or spun, or missed a shift. I got a full standing ovation after the second run lol. Video of one of the runs that night: http://members.shaw.ca/thedyno/GLHvsViper.wmv

The Viper guy I heard shipped the car down to Hennessy the week after lol!!

Man, Loved that place. Probably raced there for 15 years, rarely missing a Secret Street.

Funny this thread was made as I actually found a cd from 2010 me racing my mustang down there.

Have a few vids of you racing that silver s14 you had Toma

EK 2.0
06-28-2014, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by benyl

So was I. That is my STi in the picture.

Totally forgot about that incident. That was like 10 years ago.

What a day that was...just glad all ended up ok...