PDA

View Full Version : Greasy residue on top of kitchen cabinets

heavyfuel
06-25-2014, 10:40 AM
I Googled high and low for an explanation about WHY this keeps happening, and all I found were half-assed solutions like putting wax paper down on top of the cupboards. I'm looking for the cause of this greasy residue. I very rarely fry anything, I use oil to cook maybe 2-3 times/month the rest of the time I bake or steam whatever I cook. I just don't get why the top of the fridge, the countertops and the cabinet doors are squeaky clean yet this greasy residue at the highest possible point in my kitchen. Ideas?

JRSC00LUDE
06-25-2014, 10:46 AM
I've seen that before too and am not sure what exactly is the cause either! I'm not a total slob either, I swear! :nut:

speedog
06-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Just making stuff like a pot of coffee or some soup on the stove can can contribute to this greasy build-up as many foods have oils in them that get released into the air when any kind of boiling/simmering action occurs.

Tik-Tok
06-25-2014, 10:54 AM
It's diesel fuel coming in from your window

ercchry
06-25-2014, 10:56 AM
yup, probably animal fat trapped in the steam, raises to the ceiling and condenses on the cool upper cabinets

heavyfuel
06-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
It's diesel fuel coming in from your window

Weird, cuz I only let the exhaust in from my bedroom at the other end of the unit lol

Originally posted by ercchry
yup, probably animal fat trapped in the steam, raises to the ceiling and condenses on the cool upper cabinets

All I know is, in 57 or so years from now lol if I ever manage to buy/build a place the cabinets are going flush to the ceiling.

TomcoPDR
06-25-2014, 12:06 PM
If it's not your house, just let the home owner deal with it when u move out.

heavyfuel
06-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
If it's not your house, just let the home owner deal with it when u move out.

Yeah only problem with that theory is I'm gonna be renting for 57ish more yrs lol and in the meantime I prefer not to live in filth.

flipstah
06-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

+1. Welcome to living.

ExtraSlow
06-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

Yeah only problem with that theory is I'm gonna be renting for 57ish more yrs lol and in the meantime I prefer not to live in filth.
Impossible. Everyone knows that renters are filthy animals.

heavyfuel
06-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Impossible. Everyone knows that renters are filthy animals.

Ohhh, alright. Can't argue with an engineer. :thumbsup:

Alterac
06-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Every time you use the stove to boil or fry anything, turn the hood fan on.

Hopefully yours is vented outside (like a proper install should), and it will exhaust most of that stuff out.

Adrenaline101
06-25-2014, 06:24 PM
There was a ton of it in my current place when we moved it. Were actually rather pissed the previous tenants or rental agency didn't see it. It was nearly 1/4" thick, and we used a drywall mud scraper to get it all off.
Pretty sure its just from evaporation of grease and fat into the air, collects on the top of the cupboards when the air gets high enough to cool enough. Also check if your hood fan is sealed up properly, improper fitting definitely contributed to our buildup.

heavyfuel
06-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Yup the fan goes on soon as the stove does. I wouldn't be surprised if it's old/not flowing enough air/improperly installed/sealed. 5 yrs and approx. 50k later my landlord is never in a hurry to fix anything around here.

firebane
06-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
Every time you use the stove to boil or fry anything, turn the hood fan on.

Hopefully yours is vented outside (like a proper install should), and it will exhaust most of that stuff out.

Unless the filter in the hood fan is plugged to hell and it can't breathe.

mr2mike
07-02-2014, 09:31 AM
The # of stove fans I see that don't vent outside is astounding. It probably doesn't vent out.

Seth1968
07-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
The # of stove fans I see that don't vent outside is astounding.

Agreed.

I think it's actually worse than having no fan at all, as those types are just blowing the crud further into your house.

Cos
07-02-2014, 11:57 AM

firebane
07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I have it too. Ours was a rental for the first 8 years of its life. We just figured the people were slobs. It has been almost impossible to clean off completely. I've spent HOURS with a rag and water.

Water won't cut it you'll need a heady duty degreaser and a stiff brush.

Check out Castrol Purple Power.. Strong shit.

ExtraSlow
07-02-2014, 12:13 PM
TSP is a good cleaner for this type of residue.