PDA

View Full Version : PT wood for deck and hardware

quick_scar
06-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Where is currently the best place to get pressure treated wood?

I have searched beyond and the following places have been mentioned before but nothing in the last few years:

Lumber King
Timber Town
Home Depot
Rona
Lowes

The hours suck but from what I can tell lumber king might have the best price currently.

Also looking for best pricing on hardware I will need. The support brackets, screws, etc... Anyone willing to help me with contractor pricing?

94CoRd
06-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Depends what are of the city you are in, but I had an awesome experience last summer / this spring with Windsor Plywood (West). Refinished a main level deck with cedar, and built a ground level deck with cedar. Competitive prices with all the places you mentioned, but quality of wood is far superior.

Sorry I couldn't help with contractor prices... :dunno:

freshprince1
06-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Home Hardware is always very competitive, and will price match if you bring in a flyer for another place. I usually buy from there or Home Depot.

I just posted in marketplace. Selling off my stash of PT lumber. Probably not enough to build a whole project, but likely enough to get the foundation done, and enough to save you some cash.

3 to 4 6x6 posts, a bunch of 2x6 planks...etc.

quick_scar
06-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the comments. I looked to home hardware but with the closest one in Okotoks and their starting price already being higher then home depot here in the city, I crossed them off the list.

@FreshPrince I might be able to use a couple of the boards you have, but most would end up sitting around doing nothing like they are at your house. I would prefer to go and pick my boards and get exactly what I need all at once.

blitz
06-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Lumber king has always been great to me, and its nice to support a local family business that sets the pricing bar for everyone else.

schurchill39
06-29-2014, 12:10 AM
I usually go and price everything out at Lowes then take the quote across the street to home depot because they will beat the price by 10%. Last year when I did my deck and fence Lowes was the cheapest I found so it worked out for me.

JordanEG6
07-03-2014, 09:11 AM
I would avoid Rona. Did my deck and fence recently through them. The customer service is terrible. Some of the lumber they delivered was not what I ordered and some were damaged and warped like crazy. And other than the Bowness and Crowfoot location, they never have deck boards in stock.

The delivery guys also delivered the lumber ass backwards with the posts at the very bottom of the pile (which are the ones you work with first). It look awhile sort out and get the posts out.

But that's just me complaining. I wouldn't use them again though.

quick_scar
07-03-2014, 09:15 AM
I ended up going with lumber king and am super happy!!

Took a truck up there, told them what I wanted, paid, drove into the yard, they had people to help load up the truck, secure it all, and I drove home.

Lumber was straight (except like 1 board) and I am happy with what I got.

**EDIT: after working with the rest of the boards a lot of the deck boards were not quite straight. Made for some fun with the pry bar getting them straight when securing them.

If I was to do this all over again, I would probably get the bulk of the lumber from Lumber King (everything for the structure under the deck where minor warp can easily be hidden and does not make a difference. Then I would go and spend a couple hours hand picking the deck boards at home depot, lowes, rona, etc... so that I would have clean, straight boards for the part of the deck everyone see's.