PDA

View Full Version : Google I/O 2014

schocker
06-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Anyone else watching the press conference?

Lots of new features, info on the next android L release, android watch, androidauto etc. Auto now has 40+ partners include most manufacturers except say BMW and Benz.

ZEDGE
06-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Watched it. L looks really good.

Good stuff.

avishal26
06-25-2014, 01:40 PM
I am not watching, but am very interested in knowing if there's going to be a Nexus 6 so I can decide whether or not to get the Nexus 5 :D

Mitsu3000gt
06-25-2014, 01:42 PM
I watched it also, and was disappointed there were no good hardware announcements :(

The OS improvements however, look outstanding.

schocker
06-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Yeah, no nexus 9 announcement which was weird. I am maybe going to pre-order the LG watch though if it is decently priced. Upgrades to android look awesome though with the new design and features like the new notifications and lock screen. Androidauto looks great though how it has no clutter, just the things you need. I wonder if you could also use other apps like waze and also I believe it is all powered off of the phone which means it can be as fast as you want it to be.

kenny
06-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Who's building one of these?

https://developers.google.com/cardboard/

:rofl:

schocker
06-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Who's building one of these?

https://developers.google.com/cardboard/

:rofl:
I saw them give them away and was confused but on reddit learned it is actually Oculus Thrift :rofl:

benyl
06-25-2014, 02:42 PM
WWDC was for the consumer. I/O was actually for the developer.

Fucking Apple.

haha

schocker
06-25-2014, 05:21 PM
Watches are available now
LG G Watch $249 + ship Leaves Warehouse July 3 Black or White/Gold
Samsung Gear Live $219 + ship ($17), leaves warehouse July 8 Black
I think the LG is the better of the two for now, wonder how much the 360 will be though, maybe $279ish?

GTS4tw
06-25-2014, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Watches are available now
LG G Watch $249 + ship Leaves Warehouse July 3 Black or White/Gold
Samsung Gear Live $219 + ship ($17), leaves warehouse July 8 Black
I think the LG is the better of the two for now, wonder how much the 360 will be though, maybe $279ish?

I have the gear 2 neo... not really impressed, lots of glitches, same with the S5, I switched from an s2 and the s5 sucks in comparison. Not an upgrade at all. Hopefully the new ones work better but they are definitely a gimmick, annoying to have to turn off/on so many devices at dinner, movies, etc.

schocker
06-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Gear 2 runs tizen though and the gear live runs android. S2 to S5 though that should be like night and day. I had gone S2 -> N4 -> N5 and have had huge improvements each time. I have tried the S5 and found it very snappy.

Android wear though you just swipe down to silence, not sure if it also silences the phone though.

ZEDGE
06-25-2014, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

I have the gear 2 neo... not really impressed, lots of glitches, same with the S5, I switched from an s2 and the s5 sucks in comparison. Not an upgrade at all. Hopefully the new ones work better but they are definitely a gimmick, annoying to have to turn off/on so many devices at dinner, movies, etc.

Completely different. These watches run the new Google Wear, not the shit Samsung software.

Gear 2 runs tizen though and the gear live runs android. S2 to S5 though that should be like night and day. I had gone S2 -> N4 -> N5 and have had huge improvements each time. I have tried the S5 and found it very snappy.

Android wear though you just swipe down to silence, not sure if it also silences the phone though.

This.

supe
06-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Watches are a fun announcement I think I'll get the moto, its getting extremely positive reviews.

So many announcements, but mostly SDK's and ecosystem based stuff less on the product side. Android Auto is something thats pretty interesting. All I really want is google maps on the nav screen, it really is the best navigation system. Did they say actually say there will be cars sold with Android Auto this year?

Android TV is interesting too it seems like its just a tv with a built in chromecast.

Android L sounds like a good natural progression of Android. Sounds like there will be performance enhancements and maybe battery enhancements.

Overall everything sounds pretty positive at Google and all the pieces are falling into place for world domination.

schocker
06-25-2014, 06:03 PM
^^^
Yeah I like the 360 best, but want a google watch now!!! :rofl:
Yes, 2015 models, audi is supposed to be up first, but A3 just came out so probably A4/A5 2015 models will incorporate it. Should be pretty cool especially since it is personalized on your phone.

Android TV I thought it was through a chromecast but yes it is built into the TV, but weirdly samsung is not one of the partners nor LG.

One thing about the watches, would be nice for wireless charging. I was reading something that the moto might have wireless charging, also the Samsung has a heartbeat sensor while the LG does not. I was hoping it would as I have been looking for something to replace my fitbit force.

GTS4tw
06-26-2014, 07:37 AM

Yeah, I would have thought the s5 was amazing.... but its nothing but glitches, battery is totally unpredictable, I have gotten 48 hours, and 8 hours, with the same usage. Then when I want to charge it I have to practically break my fingernails trying to pry open the charge port. Bluetooth range on it is a joke so the watch is constantly "in range" buzzzz "out of range" buzzzzz. The charge port on the S5 is different so while my mini usb chargers work, they are slow as dirt, no one seems to sell the new one around here other than samsung for an arm and a leg. The security features screen pops up in the middle of texting/email randomly. Often it loses the menu bar at the bottom of the home screen and has to be reset for them to appear. Sends double and triple texts 80% of the time without me knowing. The camera is a big bag of shit compared to most other phones I see, and thats supposed to be the s5 strong point.

The battery for the watch requires a clip on plastic piece of shit to charge which seems easy to lose or forget in a hotel. The heartbeat sensor on the watch doesn't work properly and is way off when compared to a more reliable device (my fingers and a clock). The pedometer is inaccurate, I have done tons of walking and it says Ive gone ~3000 steps, but I regularly can do 5000 while sitting at my desk not walking at all....

I fucking loved samsung and everything I own practically is made by them, but this is leaving a horrible taste in my mouth. Both these products seem so poorly made and thought out.

schocker
06-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Weird, maybe you should flash on CM onto the phone and sell the Gear and get a Gear Live :D

I am contemplating the G Watch very hard though, wonder if it will have support for like netflix, touchdown, waze etc. Would be awesome.

Xtrema
06-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Only Google Auto stands out to me:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/25/android-auto-hands-on/

Very similar to Apple's take but at least I know I'm not stuck with Apple maps.

schocker
06-26-2014, 10:00 AM
waitttttt so S3 gets it, I thought they said not until 2015 maybe, it can be enabled in MMI or something. Otherwise get S4/S5 when they release late 2014 early 2015 so i can use android auto:burnout:

schocker
06-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Nexus program is still very much alive! Silver will be carrier oriented :clap:
http://readwrite.com/2014/06/26/google-nexus-android-silver#awesm=~oIlsPNfoaFg4Gx

kaput
06-26-2014, 07:29 PM