PDA

View Full Version : Always wondered about this house

syscal
06-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Always wondered what this house was like since they started building it.

_BTiLH0uzLc

95EG6P
06-25-2014, 02:52 PM
the stairs are mind blowing :eek:

Lex350
06-25-2014, 02:59 PM
good party house

v2kai
06-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by 95EG6P
the stairs are mind blowing :eek:

The company I'm with did those stairs:poosie: boss is really proud of that 'floating' landing design. He's always looking for crazy projects. apparently the carpet that clads the treads was inspired/same as the carpet in the high rollers room in vegas (any high rollers wanna confirm?) that house is just insane on all levels.

I think we did a timelapse of the construction of that stair I'll see if I can dig it up. Never got around to compiling it into any sort of presentable media. Here's one they did in red deer, marble inset treads and all that crazy stuff.
XuGYz1CLVOg

rage2
06-25-2014, 03:12 PM
What's with all the cheap TVs?

heavyfuel
06-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Ri God damned diculous.

sexualbanana
06-25-2014, 04:31 PM
I enjoyed the channel 4 music

icky2unk
06-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Very tastefully done. Gorgeous house

you&me
06-26-2014, 08:29 AM
I don't buy it (excuse the pun); I've always thought this whole "most expensive house in Calgary" was just a publicity stunt.

There are bigger houses (possibly/likely with better finishing), on bigger lots in areas where land prices are far higher than Aspen...

bjstare
06-26-2014, 08:40 AM
^^ Agreed. I almost guarantee the most expensive house in the city isn't in Aspen.

benyl
06-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by rage2
What's with all the cheap TVs?

too busy making money to watch tv. The cheap tvs are for the maids, cooks, and gardeners.

Marsh
06-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by you&me
I don't buy it (excuse the pun); I've always thought this whole "most expensive house in Calgary" was just a publicity stunt.

There are bigger houses (possibly/likely with better finishing), on bigger lots in areas where land prices are far higher than Aspen...

As far as I know, its the most expensive sale to date.. But its not worth the most. There are houses in Pump Hill that are older but are valued at $15 Mill and above...but those people aren't selling their homes.

flipstah
06-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Why does the cameraman need to rush into the shots? :rofl: :rofl:

n1zm0
06-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Marsh
There are houses in Pump Hill that are older but are valued at $15 Mill and above...but those people aren't selling their homes.

:werd: As small as it is, there's a handful of 'old money' mansions in that area.

Originally posted by flipstah

Yeah what's the deal with that, maybe the house is so big he's like 'hurry up with this shit!' :rofl:

you&me
06-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Marsh

As far as I know, its the most expensive sale to date.. But its not worth the most. There are houses in Pump Hill that are older but are valued at $15 Mill and above...but those people aren't selling their homes.

But that's what I'm questioning - I don't believe it would have actually transacted anywhere near the $12MM asking price... I'm thinking probably around half that.

People that can buy $12MM homes can usually buy whatever they want, and tend to build to their specs, not buy a spec home...

At that level it's all about the value of the property. Even at (a very generous by the looks of it) $800/sf for the actual house, that would still make the land worth ~$3MM no one's paying millions for a 1/4 acre in Aspen.

thager
06-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by v2kai

The company I'm with did those stairs:poosie: boss is really proud of that 'floating' landing design. He's always looking for crazy projects. apparently the carpet that clads the treads was inspired/same as the carpet in the high rollers room in vegas (any high rollers wanna confirm?) that house is just insane on all levels.

I think we did a timelapse of the construction of that stair I'll see if I can dig it up. Never got around to compiling it into any sort of presentable media. Here's one they did in red deer, marble inset treads and all that crazy stuff.
XuGYz1CLVOg
was it artistic stairs that built them, my dad works for them

benyl
06-26-2014, 10:28 AM
The house is 4/5 of an acre.

A 1/4 acre in Aspen and area goes for about $650K

Roll Number 201196565
Location Address 44 ASPEN RIDGE HT SW
Assessed Value 10,470,000
Valuation Approach Sales Comparison
Assessment Class Residential 100%
Property Type Land and Improvement
Property Use Single Residential
Taxation Status Taxable
Community Aspen Woods
Sub Neighbourhood Code (SNC) 002
Market Area SNGLRES WEST
Sub Market Area SNGLRES A
Land Use Designation Residential - One Dwelling - Provision for Secondary Suite
Assessable Land Area 36,286 sq. ft. / 3,371 sq. m. / 0.83 ac
Building Count 2
Building Type/Structure House / 2 Storey
House / Bungalow/ 1 Storey
Year of Construction 2008
Quality Luxurious
Total Living Area Above Grade 9,980 sq. ft. / 927 sq. m.
Living Area Below Grade 3,100 sq. ft. / 288 sq. m.
Basement Suite No
Walkout Basement No
Garage Type Attached
Garage Area 2,100 sq. ft. / 195 sq. m.
Fireplace Yes
Market Adjustment Yes

you&me
06-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by benyl
The house is 4/5 of an acre.

A 1/4 acre in Aspen and area goes for about $650K

Hmm, thanks for that. For some reason I thought I'd seen lot measurements that came to ~1/4 acre.

I also thought the house was ~12,000sf, not 14,500, so my calcs on the $/sf are off too (I'm on a roll!)

Anyways, it was cool to see the video. In the end the value doesn't matter. Someone lives there and obviously that was how they chose to spend their $$$, so good on them. Different strokes...

benyl
06-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Pretty sure Brett Wilson (Dragon's Den) built the house or at least lived in it.

triplep
06-26-2014, 11:15 AM
I think it is extremely over priced. For sure, it can't be the most expensive house in Calgary.

I have always wondered about this place and who owns it because driving by the place looks huge, with its own pond in the back and gargoyles on the house.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.9188232,-114.179899,673m/data=!3m1!1e3

And I recall that at one time, the most expensive place listed in Calgary was in Bel-Air for a small old home, but the land was worth tons. I think it was between 20-40 mill. I can't find an article on it at this time.

mazdavirgin
06-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by triplep
I have always wondered about this place and who owns it because driving by the place looks huge, with its own pond in the back and gargoyles on the house.

Former owner of a company I used to work for currently owns the place. Made his money by selling his company to another larger Oil and Gas equipment company. Company had some questionable past practices and allegations of stealing competitors designs but yeah made Oil and Gas equipment :dunno:

bjstare
06-26-2014, 11:35 AM
*snip*

And I recall that at one time, the most expensive place listed in Calgary was in Bel-Air for a small old home, but the land was worth tons. I think it was between 20-40 mill. I can't find an article on it at this time.

While I agree that the aspen home probably isn't the most expensive, I'd be incredibly surprised if you could find a house that would sell for over 10M in Bel-Aire. Most of the houses there are <5M in value, so it's a massive stretch to get to 20M.

duaner
06-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Crazy.

A house my wife worked on 15 years ago in Pump Hill was valued at $21 million back then, iirc. The guy bought 2 or 3 houses and destroyed them to make room....for their summer home. Took several years and it wasn't finished when she left the company.

Look in Google Maps for the one with a tennis court--27 Pump Hill Close. All sorts of crazy technology inside and outside. Can't remember any numbers now though.

Pretty nice house just to the south of it too.

Too much money in this city.

you&me
06-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Pretty sure Brett Wilson (Dragon's Den) built the house or at least lived in it.

I can confirm that's nothing more than a rumour and an untrue one at that...

heavyfuel
06-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Cuz like everything else the lowest bidder got the video contract lol

OU812
06-26-2014, 01:48 PM
I think it is extremely over priced. For sure, it can't be the most expensive house in Calgary.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.9188232,-114.179899,673m/data=!3m1!1e3

Bah, I like this one better.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.21228,-114.28699,3a,87.2y,192.92h,88.72t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sk-TyBy8m5AlKGGeWE7RceA!2e0

Masked Bandit
06-26-2014, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by duaner
Crazy.

A house my wife worked on 15 years ago in Pump Hill was valued at $21 million back then, iirc. The guy bought 2 or 3 houses and destroyed them to make room....for their summer home. Took several years and it wasn't finished when she left the company.

Look in Google Maps for the one with a tennis court--27 Pump Hill Close. All sorts of crazy technology inside and outside. Can't remember any numbers now though.

Pretty nice house just to the south of it too.

Too much money in this city.

I believe you're thinking of Alfred Balm. He sold Canadian Fracmaster, then bought it back a couple years later, and then sold it again. The guys that owned it for a few years drove it into the ground so he bought it back for considerably less than what he sold it for the first time around.

Xtrema
06-26-2014, 05:06 PM
I walked by there and realistically I don't know why you would pay $10+ million and just look at your neighbors' backyard as view.

You can as easily buy 3 to 4 lots right across from that location and has unblocked view of the Rockies. Surprisingly, none of the lots across from this house has been developed yet, still a giant dirt pit.

And there is something so industrial about the interior design. It feels cold.

asp integra
06-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I believe you're thinking of Alfred Balm. He sold Canadian Fracmaster, then bought it back a couple years later, and then sold it again. The guys that owned it for a few years drove it into the ground so he bought it back for considerably less than what he sold it for the first time around.

I would agree, I think the Fracmaster home is the most expensive home in town, if he were to sell it.
I also dont really like the Aspen home, should be more in the 4-6 ballpark if you ask me. I would much rather be across the street with the amazing mountain view, or in springbank

https://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=50.965824,-114.099305&spn=0.003838,0.009667&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=50.965824,-114.099305&panoid=DE_kYYu9OKgk2Va3TJISJw&cbp=12,67.57,,0,-2.3

shakalaka
06-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Doesn't even have a pool.:dunno:

sneek
06-26-2014, 06:26 PM
It can't be the most expensive house in Calgary because no Asians will bid on it. A house number of 44 is a deal breaker

triplep
06-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

While I agree that the aspen home probably isn't the most expensive, I'd be incredibly surprised if you could find a house that would sell for over 10M in Bel-Aire. Most of the houses there are &lt;5M in value, so it's a massive stretch to get to 20M.

It wasn't the house that was for sale in Bel-Aire that was trying to fetch the high money, it was the land that the house sat on. From what I remember it had zero building restrictions, and was supposed to always have unobstructed mountain views along with other agreements.

01RedDX
06-29-2014, 04:12 PM

cam_wmh
07-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

ol disastermaster