PDA

View Full Version : Hockey lessons?

96integra
06-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Can you guys recommend me somewhere that offers good hockey lessons? I'm an intermediate player looking to improve. Shinny alone isn't cutting it.

I've done Tucker and UofC but just looking to see what else is out there.

Kaos
06-26-2014, 09:35 AM
I wish I had more info for you but have you ever gone to the arena and looked up on the cork boards?

They usually have advertisements for classes.

96integra
06-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Kaos
I wish I had more info for you but have you ever gone to the arena and looked up on the cork boards?

They usually have advertisements for classes.

Thanks. Yes I have but a lot of those are geared toward minors and organized hockey. I'm just looking for public lessons.

oilerfan4lyfe
06-27-2014, 09:17 AM
You can try http://www.torjagerhockey.com/

I don't know who runs it anymore but if it's still Marty he's a good guy. He used to run the Calgary Roller Hockey League.

max_boost
06-27-2014, 10:04 AM
I found tucker to be really good. Are you in league? Maybe playing higher level will help?

Im still somewhere between noob and intermediate. Every now and then I think I levelled up and then get murdered out there lol

TYMSMNY
06-27-2014, 10:14 AM
You're looking for public lessons meaning during public skates?? or big groups like uofc/etc?

Just takes a bit of ice time. if you're building skating skills, don't do it with all the gear IMO. That's how I initially learned, no gear + public rink + weekly for a year.

If you want and if there's any public skates anywhere in the city.... can meet up if our schedules work. Could always use a good practice

bigbadboss101
06-27-2014, 10:25 AM
I think skating lessons definitely helps. After that playing against people better than you helps. Practice practice practice. Some people have amazing hands and vision. Great mindset. Those are not learned but comes with practice.

vengie
06-27-2014, 10:35 AM
Play at a higher level. Best way to elevate your game.

95EG6P
06-27-2014, 10:35 AM
i dont know about lessons but i use you tube tutorials and practice on my hockey tiles and do drills. Also play at higher level then me so i am forced to play harder. i played shinny at trico for years and all the guys there are just beast so i am forced to play better

96integra
06-27-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm an intermediate skater so right now I'm mostly looking for formal training on strategies and puck control as I'm just learning the game.

Really want to improve my game quicker so I think hockey lessons will help more than playing league once a week. But you guys are right, just takes more practice. I'm down for ice time if anyones looking for a beginner/intermediate player!

max_boost
06-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Tucker specialty clinic could be for you. http://www.tuckerhockey.com/files/PDF/Winter%20Adult%202014%20V2.pdf

I have taken them before and find it helps. Will probably go back as I get into bad habits and forget what I learn.

TYMSMNY
06-27-2014, 11:59 AM
ah so youre looking for hockey skills. Tucker has clinics like maxboost says.

Try playing ball hockey... or practice hand eye coord with a stick and ball at home.

Shinny doesn't give you the time to concentrate on skills so that you can see huge improvments. you'll probably deek for a about 3 seconds before you it's taken away from you. You'll feel rushed etc etc etc.

96integra
06-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Yea exactly why playing once a week doesn't help me as fast as I would like. You'll be on the ice for 1/3 of the time and maybe touch the puck 10% of that.

I'll probably do the Tucker speciality clinics. Did 201 and it was awesome. UofC has a class that runs in August so I'll probably do that too. Thanks guys

CanmoreOrLess
06-27-2014, 10:12 PM
I'd advise you to look into taking a series of speed skating lessons. You can rent the skates. The players I've known to be fast and look effortless have all worked with speed skating training. Even a few classes will elevate your game.

Plenty of summer schools out there for the hockey end of things.