PDA

View Full Version : What causes an Asus Board not to save BIOS (changed the battery)

thetransporter
06-26-2014, 12:14 PM
What causes an Asus Board not to save BIOS (changed the battery)

I have to PCs
Asus Board Max Ext. 775 (Asus sent me a replacement last fall as the old one died while in warranty) it never saves BIOS settings

New Asus P9X79 Deluxe 2011 CPU with - the same issue.

Not over clocking or anything

Tried upgrading/down grading firmware.

Zhariak
06-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Once I came across a board that had similar issues.

In that case what happened, is a user flipped the dipswitch to reset the BIOS (this is supposed to be done with NO power to the computer), however he had it plugged in and tried turning it on.

This damaged the motherboard and I'm assuming broke the connection between the battery and the other components. Since then it wouldn't save anything even after replacing battery.

pheoxs
06-26-2014, 03:32 PM
There is a jumper in order to clear the BIOS settings, it is often used if you freeze/crash the BIOS while flashing it. If someone accidently swapped that or it got misplaced from factory it would cause it

jacky4566
06-26-2014, 03:53 PM
My server does this. Current workaround is to never shutdown.
Current up time is something like 3000 hours.

I would check the battery with a volt meter. Make sure the replacement wasn't a dud. And check the jumper pins are in the right setting:
http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/2/2e/Reset-Your-BIOS-Step-5.jpg/670px-Reset-Your-BIOS-Step-5.jpg

thetransporter
06-27-2014, 02:16 AM
thanks, I did check the jumper pins to make sure one is on the OFF position and other board "disabled" (0 or 1=enabled)

by the way?
has asus quality came down ? in the last few years..

i have 1 asus board with factory water cooling lines, its been over clocked to 4.8 *from 3.0ghz. for 7 years, had the water burst all over it a few times, even had the entire unit submerged in the 2013 floods, and it still works flawlessly after i cleaned it.

wit the new ROG gaming board I got im afraid to even over clock it even with the software stuff that is designed to one click..