PDA

View Full Version : Deny service to someone on a cell phone

speedog
06-26-2014, 12:45 PM
So was listening to AM770 on the way into the shop this morning and the announcers were talking about a small chain retail shop in Millrise (not a grocery or drug store) where they have a policy in place that they will not serve a customer who is taking on a cellphone. Can't remember if it was one of the show's hosts that experienced the event first hand but they reported that the front counter staff informed the customer that they could not continue to ring the order into their till until the customer had finished their call.

Now for myself, I personally will make sure I'm not on a call when being a customer at a store - I think it's rude to expect someone to be serving me in any fashion while I go about other business. In our shop though, we do have the occasional customer who will be on their cell phone while we're ringing through their purchases - we will continue to process their sale and don't stop what we're doing unless we need an answer or some information from them.

For the most part, this kind of event happens very rarely and usually it doesn't affect other waiting customers - in fact, I can not recall where it's ever inconvenienced other customers but if the situation did arise, I would ask the customer on their cell phone if I could put their sale on hold and service other customers and come back to their sale when they're ready.

More interesting is that it sounded like this particular retail outlet's direction was to put everything on hold until the cell phone customer had completed their call - no servicing other customers at all. Seems a bit extreme to me and yes, they're probably trying to make a point but at what expense to pissing off other waiting customers.

So what's everyone's take on this store's policy?

E46..sTyLez
06-26-2014, 12:53 PM
I know when I worked at a place that had counter sales, if someone picked up a call while I was working with them I would just go back to what I was doing before they walked in. Then when they were off the phone I would resume service. Not a big deal, just don't expect me to stand there and give them my undivided attention during their phone call.

Canmorite
Safeway's Pharmacy has it in place and I think it's a good idea. I think it's rude to chat on your phone while someone is trying to help you, especially surrounding drugs and prescriptions.

Mista Bob
Originally posted by speedog

So what's everyone's take on this store's policy?

Clever form of free advertising.

Kloubek
06-26-2014, 12:55 PM
I can see both sides. But to me, if someone isn't slowing me down or inconveniencing me, I really don't care.

BavarianBeast
06-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Some dumb bitch got mad at me for being on my cell phone while ordering at timmies. I put the phone away from my face, told her my order and made sure she understood it and then put the phone back to my face and started talking. She just SNAPPED! It's like whoa bitch, just give me a total, I'll give you the change and we will be on our way. I don't need to be off my fucking phone to do this.

/end rant

speedog
06-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Mista Bob
Clever form of free advertising.

I suppose for the specific store, any kind of free advertising on AM770 is good whether the public agrees with that 's store's policy or not.

The only issue I see is putting all sales on hold for one customer that's on their cell phone - that seems unfair to the other customers.

Mista Bob
06-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I can see both sides. But to me, if someone isn't slowing me down or inconveniencing me, I really don't care.

Just picture the slow down when some Chatty McChatterson gets offended that someone told him to stop talking on his cellphone.
I imagine these sort of people are also the type who would make a big scene out of it and turn it into a big 5+ minute delay for everyone in line so they can have their temper tantrum.

Would be easier for everyone to just give them a blank stare, don't say a single word to them and get them out of the store ASAP.

Like this guy.

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Some dumb bitch got mad at me for being on my cell phone while ordering at timmies. I put the phone away from my face, told her my order and made sure she understood it and then put the phone back to my face and started talking. She just SNAPPED! It's like whoa bitch, just give me a total, I'll give you the change and we will be on our way. I don't need to be off my fucking phone to do this.

/end rant
:rofl:

Nitro5
06-26-2014, 01:32 PM
I think you are complete douche if you talk on your phone while at the till. Human interaction is a lost art it seems.

Does it pain you to actually acknowledge another person standing in front of you and give them a minute of your time, even if all they are is a lowly Tim's employee pouring your coffee?

rage2
06-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Nitro5
I think you are complete douche if you talk on your phone while at the till. Human interaction is a lost art it seems.
TFW's aren't great at interacting anyways, so I'd prefer to be on the phone even if I'm pretending to text. If it was a hot white chick at the till, I can guarantee you that the phone goes in the pocket while I start making small talk.

Sugarphreak
06-26-2014, 02:10 PM

klumsy_tumbler
06-26-2014, 02:18 PM
This is an excellent idea; Using peer pressure to encourage people the put the freaking phone down for just a couple of minutes. I feel like more places should adopt this practice.

403ep3
06-26-2014, 02:19 PM
I don't mind the policy at all. I always put my phone away when ordering.

I also take off my sunglasses when I'm ordering at a drive through.. just seems like the more friendly thing to do. :dunno:

JRSC00LUDE
06-26-2014, 02:20 PM
I'm on the phone while in line quite often. When it's my turn at the till, I tell the person on the line to hold on a minute, put the phone down on the counter, interact with the cashier, then pick up my phone and resume.

Common courtesy. :dunno:

BrknFngrs
06-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Good for them, people need to GTF off the phone when they are buying something

:werd:

It's funny because the people that think they're important enough for this to be neccesary are far from it and the people that are legitimately important enough to warrant it realize it's rude and don't do it.

clem24
06-26-2014, 02:47 PM
I think it's rude but that's just me. Lately I've seen something worse.. A woman in a store, just shopping, talking to her friend or whatever... ON SPEAKERPHONE!! Seriously WTF..

Nitro5
06-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by rage2

TFW's aren't great at interacting anyways, so I'd prefer to be on the phone even if I'm pretending to text. If it was a hot white chick at the till, I can guarantee you that the phone goes in the pocket while I start making small talk.

It's not like you have to have a conversation, but giving them your attention merely validates that they are people.

SOAB
06-26-2014, 03:28 PM
I have had this happen to me at work a few times. In the middle of our conversation and they answer their phone and start a convo with another person. I just leave the front counter and wait for them to ring the bell again before I come back. :)

baygirl
06-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Safeway's Pharmacy has it in place and I think it's a good idea.
We have the same policy at our pharmacy, mainly for privacy reasons. We don't want the person on the phone to overhear something they shouldn't.

Xtrema
06-26-2014, 04:57 PM

That only happens at hipsters coffee shops like Phil & Sebestian. Everywhere else is Filipinos.

MR2-3SGTE
06-26-2014, 07:40 PM
If you are in some meeting, in class, or talking with someone, then I agree its rude.
If you're in a grocery store being rung up then I don't really care...you're there to buy stuff, and that's it. I doubt that all cashiers are expecting small talk from customers. As long as it's not stopping you from answering any of the cashiers questions.

whydontchathen
06-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by MR2-3SGTE
If you are in some meeting, in class, or talking with someone, then I agree its rude.
If you're in a grocery store being rung up then I don't really care...you're there to buy stuff, and that's it. I doubt that all cashiers are expecting small talk from customers. As long as it's not stopping you from answering any of the cashiers questions.

If it's rude, then it's rude.

JRSC00LUDE
06-26-2014, 09:57 PM

Are you under 25?

BigShow
06-26-2014, 10:22 PM

Does it pain you to actually acknowledge another person standing in front of you and give them a minute of your time, even if all they are is a lowly Tim's employee pouring your coffee?

I disagree, you could be on an important business call/conf call and you just want to politely order, pay and get out of there...what other human interaction is required?

whydontchathen
06-26-2014, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by BigShow

I disagree, you could be on an important business call/conf call and you just want to politely order, pay and get out of there...

It's called courtesy. If it's an important business call, etc etc, then maybe you shouldn't be multitasking / shopping at the same time.

Originally posted by BigShow

...what other human interaction is required?

well you never know, do you? Unless you're prescient.

BigShow
06-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by whydontchathen

It's called courtesy. If it's an important business call, etc etc, then maybe you shouldn't be multitasking / shopping at the same time.

well you never know, do you? Unless you're prescient.

I think you can multitask while ordering and still be respectful to the person taking the order; for instance I'm thinking of Bankers Hall/TD weekdays, lineups can be long, if you're not with a colleague perhaps you take a call, make a call...conversation continues by the time your at the front...there's a polite way to go about it imo.

Black Gts
06-26-2014, 10:56 PM
What about speaking others languages from the other side of the counter? Lol customer service doesn't exist anymore anyways. I was in a liquor store today and 2 people behind the till 5 in the lineup and the only said in English was the total to everybody, I wouldn't have been able to be on the phone because they were talking too loudly to each other :rofl:

MR2-3SGTE
06-27-2014, 12:06 AM

If it's rude, then it's rude.

I'ts rude while talking to someone. If you're not talking to the cashier, it's different. If you can still smile, say hello, answer the cashiers questions, then no problem IMO

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Are you under 25?

I am. I've also worked in retail for 6+ years and never found it rude when customers spoke on phones. Sure as hell beats the awkward silence you sometimes get. Not everyone wants to have small talk all the time.
And if they're not talking to you, why do you care if they're on the phone or staring up and down blankly? :dunno:

But then again I grew up in Miami where life is always hectic. I guess people coming from different places have different customs. I suppose it's true that Canadians are too friendly :D

heavyfuel
06-27-2014, 08:47 AM
It's fuckin ignorant. One time at Safeway this loud fat ugly bitch was not only on the phone but on speakerphone! She stood right behind me in line and just carried on her conversation didn't even miss a beat when the cashier started ringing in her items. I wanted to grab her phone and throw it.

95EG6P
06-27-2014, 08:57 AM

:werd:

freshprince1
06-27-2014, 09:14 AM
I think it's rude and that people should try not to do it, but i don't think a company should deny service for it. A company's purpose is to make money by selling goods or services, or both. It's nice when you can go about this whilst maintaining social courtesies on both sides, but I wouldn't let it get in the way of making money.

If a person is buying something from a store, they are PAYING the clerk to serve them. The customer does not OWE the clerk anything other than the money due for what they're buying.....the customer is paying for the clerk's service. That being said, as a customer in line with other customers, I think you owe THEM the courtesy of not being overly loud and obnoxious.

I guess this sounds a bit cold. I would prefer the world to remain a polite and courteous one.

What I can't stand is when I'm paying for something, and the clerk is rude, impatient, on the phone, or something like that. When I'm paying for something, then you DO owe me courtesy and attention.

(do you like my CAPS? I'm channelling my inner James)

speedog
06-27-2014, 09:25 AM
It's becoming apparent even in this little thread that there is an obvious divide with respect to what is and what is not socially acceptable with respect to cell phone usage in certain situations.

Personally, I don't use it if I'm in a situation which requires me to interact with another human in a retail/service setting - I look at it as being respectful of the job they're trying to perform as well as respectful of the people near/around me.

That said, I also realize that the introduction and embodiment of the modern smart phone into our lives is going to change what is socially acceptable at the same time - it is a computing device with pretty much instantaneous access to all kinds of things be it other people, information, whatever and people want to have that readily at hand more and more as time passes by. I interact with my staff, customers, family, friends and other businesses so much on my smart phone and more so as time goes on and yeah, I find it difficult to just leave that little device be sometimes - often get shit from my wife and family for being on my phone at inappropriate times and trust me, I'm trying to be cognizant of that.

Maybe the best training is to just go somewhere where there is no cell phone coverage or just leave it at home or in your vehicle when out for a walk/hike/dinner out - it's difficult but liberating at the same time. Problem is those times will become less and less unless people deliberately leave the device behind or just ignore it for a few minutes while in the Tim Horton's line-up.

Myself, I like the actual human interaction I get with the salesperson at the grocery store or coffee shop or wherever - it's quite amazing how much it'll light up someone's life who's performing a relatively menial task (taking your coffee or burger order) if you just lightheartedly interact with them.

A790
06-27-2014, 10:14 AM
I find it laughable that people think that they don't need to show even the most basic amount of courtesy to someone that is serving them.

blairtruck
06-27-2014, 10:40 AM
i was just at canadian tire. fat cashier chick rings my items in. i say debit. as im punching in my info she pulls her cell phone from her bra strap sends a quick text and puts it back and then hands me my receipt/canadian tire money.

speedog
06-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by blairtruck
i was just at canadian tire. fat cashier chick rings my items in. i say debit. as im punching in my info she pulls her cell phone from her bra strap sends a quick text and puts it back and then hands me my receipt/canadian tire money.
Either it's a store policy issue or lack thereof or a training issue - should've brought this to the attention of the store manager and especially so if it irked you so. How else do you expect stores/people to get it?

rage2
06-27-2014, 11:28 AM
It's not like you have to have a conversation, but giving them your attention merely validates that they are people.

Originally posted by A790
I find it laughable that people think that they don't need to show even the most basic amount of courtesy to someone that is serving them.
Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge the person, say hi, but if that convo isn't going to get any further, I'm on my phone and replying to threads like this.

Mibz
06-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Everybody always trying to find things to get angry about. Either unable or unwilling to judge each situation as it occurs, they draw as thick of a line as possible and place every situation into one of two piles, completely ignoring context. All their principles seem to do is get them riled up over situations that aren't as black and white as they'd like them to be.

Why you heff to be mad?

baygirl
06-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Customer walked up to the cash @ Lasenza:

Me: The belt is missing from the robe, let me grab a different one for you.
Her: Excuse me, can't you see I am on the phone?

I pushed her items aside and said next please. The best part was when she demanded to speak to the manager and I said that would be me.

A790
06-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by baygirl

I pushed her items aside and said next please. The best part was when she demanded to speak to the manager and I said that would be me.
heh. She sounds like a real winner.

D'z Nutz
06-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by baygirl

Haha awesome. What was her reaction?

ExtraSlow
06-27-2014, 02:44 PM
I'm picturing baygirl working at a lingere store now. Great. There goes my friday afternoon.

codetrap
06-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'm picturing baygirl working at a lingere store now. Great. There goes my friday afternoon. Well.. I guess that's safer than picturing baygirl IN lingere .... at least for you. :bigpimp: :guns:

FraserB
06-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Not even close to being an issue ordering food. Taking the phone away from your ear for 2 seconds to order at Tim's or McDicks and then go back to talking is fine. Other stuff, probably better to be off the phone.

Mitsu3000gt
06-27-2014, 03:23 PM
When I worked retail (RONA), I liked when people were on the phone. It was faster, and no small talk necessary. They put the items on the counter, I scan & bag them, then point to the total on my screen. They hand me the credit card, I give them the pin-pad. They grab their receipt and are on their way without any annoying small talk and the person waiting behind them got served faster. Win-win as far as I'm concerned. So many contractors came through there and they were often on the phone.

Now, if I required detailed information from said customer, that is an entirely different story, but I found if anything it made things faster haha.

baygirl
06-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Haha awesome. What was her reaction?
She left in a huff.

Lasenza's policy at the time is that we were not to answer/talk on the phone while we were serving customers, the person in front of us deserved all our attention. Basic manners IMO. Even now it is one of my pet peeves that people can't put down their phone for 2 minutes and interact with cashier/waitress etc.

spikerS
06-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Well.. it's safer than picturing baygirl IN lingere .... at least for you. :bigpimp: :guns:

Fixed it for you. There is no guessing at all. :rofl:

TomcoPDR
06-27-2014, 05:53 PM

If it was a hot white chick at the till, I can guarantee you that the phone goes in the pocket while I start making small talk.

"Yes Tiffany not only is my phone in my pocket, I'm just also happy to see you pouring my coffee"

thetransporter
06-29-2014, 04:55 PM
I once used my Amex at co-op gas, i dont know what the workers did i think they swipped it a few different times at the pumps for different types of gasoline.

Anyway they rudely yell at my saying my card is "max outed" while I was in the store. i explained its not credit card but a charge card with no pre-set spending limit, a second later Amex Security Dept. calls, I answer the phone only to clear it up - Manager comes out yelling at me for being on the cellular even though i stepped away from the counter, so I put Amex on speaker phone, once it was cleared up I asked Amex if i am able to run a charge for $75,000 things are very expensive in Calgary, he said Mr You are approved, the young doorknobs that make me feel uncomfortable , had a priceless look....
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Moral of the story is its not appropriate to be on the telephone while making a retail purchase.

speedog
06-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
I once used my Amex at co-op gas, i dont know what the workers did i think they swipped it a few different times at the pumps for different types of gasoline.

Anyway they rudely yell at my saying my card is "max outed" while I was in the store. i explained its not credit card but a charge card with no pre-set spending limit, a second later Amex Security Dept. calls, I answer the phone only to clear it up - Manager comes out yelling at me for being on the cellular even though i stepped away from the counter, so I put Amex on speaker phone, once it was cleared up I asked Amex if i am able to run a charge for $75,000 things are very expensive in Calgary, he said Mr You are approved, the young doorknobs that make me feel uncomfortable , had a priceless look....
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Moral of the story is its not appropriate to be on the telephone while making a retail purchase.
Reading that made my brain hurt.

G-ZUS
06-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Reading that made my brain hurt.

Mine too, WTF:dunno:

01RedDX
06-29-2014, 05:08 PM

403Gemini
06-29-2014, 06:08 PM
I've had work calls where I've stepped out of line to take it. If it's a friend I pick up and say "I'll call you right back" and hang up and apologize to the person working till for even answering it.

To me, human interaction is more important and we're becoming far to impersonal. A strangers time is worth just as much as mine and I can appreciate them doing their job so they can have my undivided attention.

I'ts rude while talking to someone. If you're not talking to the cashier, it's different. If you can still smile, say hello, answer the cashiers questions, then no problem IMO

So you're okay with both;

A.) Being rude to the person at the till who you don't want to have some small chit chat with , or give them undivided attention

and

B.) Being rude to the person you have on the phone because you're telling them to "hold on" or interrupting your conversation to answer the person working the till's questions?

Gotcha, your time supersedes every one else's .

Drives me crazy when I'm talking to someone and I hear them move the phone away from their head to speak to someone else.

thetransporter
06-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

This is what I think of whenever I try to read one of his posts:

too funny, I should let you know 90 percent of my posts are voice to text, its about 75 percent accurate.

All I was saying is its not cool using a mobile while making a retail purchase, and mentioning one time at Calgary Co-op the gas attendants locked up my card and the issuing bank called my mobile phone.