PDA

View Full Version : Your Mercedes will be built by Nissan in Mexico

Xtrema
06-26-2014, 12:50 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/26/us-daimler-nissan-mexico-idUSKBN0F10NE20140626

TLDR, FWD platform A/B/CLA/GLA may be built in Mexico and Infiniti versions may also follow.

rage2
06-26-2014, 12:58 PM
Not really ground breaking news. Nissan partly invested financially in that platform and will be introducing cars under that platform in the future. The plant isn't online for a few years either, and most likely will be building Mercedes there for the next gen in 6 years.

max_boost
06-26-2014, 02:11 PM
I'm sure the Mexicans will work harder than the North Americans anyway.

DeleriousZ
06-26-2014, 03:15 PM
I hope they've gotten better at wiring since the late 80's/early 90's. I remember having golfs that were wired in mexico, what a disaster lol.

rage2
06-26-2014, 03:19 PM
I don't think humans do the wiring anymore. The harnesses are typically completely assembled, and humans only clip them on.

Xtrema
06-26-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm sure Mexican quality will eventually comes up. But a decade ago, all Nissan made in Mexico were pure crap.

All Germans with a starting price under $50K will be made in Mexico eventually. Audi A3, Q5 and eventually A4 lines are all be built in Mexico.

TheStigz
06-27-2014, 12:05 PM
New and previous Jettas are built in mexico...

Scream.. Reliability with no assembly defects and excellent quality control

*cough*

bspot
06-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I'm sure the Mexicans will work harder than the North Americans anyway.

Ummm…. Mexicans are North Americans…

avishal26
06-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Ummm…. Mexicans are North Americans…

:rofl:

Xtrema
06-27-2014, 04:28 PM
http://www.autonews.com/article/20140626/OEM01/140629896/infiniti-mercedes-start-joint-engine-output-in-tenn

2.0L engine will be built by Nissan in Tenn and will go into C-Class and Q50s.

Interesting setup, parts ship from Germany to US for assembly and engine ship to Japan to be put into Q50 then ship to China or back to Europe.

MGCM
06-27-2014, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
http://www.autonews.com/article/20140626/OEM01/140629896/infiniti-mercedes-start-joint-engine-output-in-tenn

2.0L engine will be built by Nissan in Tenn and will go into C-Class and Q50s.

Interesting setup, parts ship from Germany to US for assembly and engine ship to Japan to be put into Q50 then ship to China or back to Europe.

How do u profit from that?? Is shipping that much cheeper than labour in various countries?

rage2
06-27-2014, 11:30 PM
It's cheaper to start a factory here than in Europe. Plus the C Class is being built in US so logistically it makes sense. All the Euro factories are operating at max production already.

MGCM
06-27-2014, 11:36 PM
so the concept is for those companies to do most of their mass production elsewhere? thus saving the local facilities to work on all the top end stuff/special projects?

01RedDX
06-28-2014, 02:20 PM

heavyD
07-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see that engine in the next Z-car as well.

On one hand it's great to see the availability of a different engine in a Nissan over the dated VQ. On the other hand Nissan must really hate making new engine designs seeing they would rather use someone else's engine than make their own.

rage2
07-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
so the concept is for those companies to do most of their mass production elsewhere? thus saving the local facilities to work on all the top end stuff/special projects?
Has nothing to do with top end or special projects, but where the most sales are. C class is joining ML production in Alabama just because NA is the biggest market for these cars. Simple logistics.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
The first thing we are going to see from the Daimler-Nissan alliance is this 2.0 turbo:

Probably powering a 2.0L version of the Q50 (formerly G25)
That's a rebadged M270/M274, basically the motor in the A/B/CLA 250.

01RedDX
07-08-2014, 12:30 PM

rage2
07-08-2014, 12:35 PM
This whole Nissan Mercedes partnership is pretty interesting. I know some MB ppl aren't happy that their beloved Benz's are going to have Nissan engineering in it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It looks like Mercedes did all the work (the M270/M274 predates the partnership), and Nissan is only a financial partner.

I'm more curious to see what Nissans are built off the A/B/CLA/GLA platform.

Inzane
07-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
But a decade ago, all Nissan made in Mexico were pure crap.

Disagree. My made in mexico 2001 Sentra overall showed signs of better workmanship and quality control than our made in tennessee 2005 Altima.

(But my particular Sentra did have the last of the venerable SR20DE engines, not the then new 1.8L or 2.5L that may have had their share of growing pains).

I had my Sentra in my posession for ~8.5 years before selling it to my brother (who still has it). I'd have no problem buying another vehicle assembled in mexico again, should that decision arise.

Xtrema
07-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by rage2
This whole Nissan Mercedes partnership is pretty interesting. I know some MB ppl aren't happy that their beloved Benz's are going to have Nissan engineering in it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It looks like Mercedes did all the work (the M270/M274 predates the partnership), and Nissan is only a financial partner.

I'm more curious to see what Nissans are built off the A/B/CLA/GLA platform.

The partnership seem to be Merc offers all the R&D and Nissan offers the manufacturing capacities.

Nissan seems to got the better end of this deal tho as I assume the complete Merc FWD line is now available to infiniti to rebadge.

flipstah
07-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Does that mean cheaper replacement parts?

n1zm0
07-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Inzane
(But my particular Sentra did have the last of the venerable SR20DE engines, not the then new 1.8L or 2.5L that may have had their share of growing pains).

This is exactly why you didn't have any problems with your Sentra :D the QR25 up until 07 was for sure a piece of garbage though.

rage2
01-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Bump. Infiniti Q30 is the answer.

http://ca.autoblog.com/2015/01/05/infiniti-q30-winter-spy-shots/

jacky4566
01-05-2015, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Wouldn't be surprised to see that engine in the next Z-car as well.

On one hand it's great to see the availability of a different engine in a Nissan over the dated VQ. On the other hand Nissan must really hate making new engine designs seeing they would rather use someone else's engine than make their own.

Subaru EJ is about 6 years older and they are still making them! 27 years is a damn long time for an engine platform.

heavyD
01-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by jacky4566

Subaru EJ is about 6 years older and they are still making them! 27 years is a damn long time for an engine platform.

It's not quite the same as Subaru only uses it in a low volume car and nobody is happy that Subaru left it in the 2015 STI. The VQ is still Nissan's bread and butter engine.

tehwegz
01-06-2015, 11:49 PM
the Q50 is awesome!

Other than that, not sure what Infiniti has. SUV's are garbage IMO, the QX80 is the ugliest POS ever and Buick makes nicer interior than that.

Interested to see what's in store.

I've heard Mercedes CLA is their worst car, lots of issues, lemons, etc.

As for made in Mexico. I hear there is NO security down there. That's changing hopefully. Here is based on what I've seen come from there as far as transporting them. The VW's seem to be solid. Nissans (Sentra, Versa, Note, Micra) on a couple occasions were shipped here and had missing batteries. GM trucks sometimes either missing batteries, tail gates, missing keys, and/or get shipped here sitting on brake rotors. Chrysler/Dodge some smashed windows (glass inside vehicle), a few front ends of Ram missing (head lights, cut harnesses, grill, bumper).

But never an issue with whatever gets shipped from overseas (Japan/Korea) > Vancouver Port > here. Or from U.S. to here.

googe
01-07-2015, 11:05 AM
I don't know how hard the Mexicans in Mexico work, but the Mexicans in the US are a force like no other. Far better than Americans in general. Corruption/worker exploitation is likely to be an issue though.

Xtrema
01-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by googe
I don't know how hard the Mexicans in Mexico work, but the Mexicans in the US are a force like no other. Far better than Americans in general. Corruption/worker exploitation is likely to be an issue though.

Their manufacturing base is ramping up and I'm sure it'll improve over time. But so far quality is definitely lower for Mexican made units for all makers.

But yes, Mexican labor force is awesome in US. Cheap and given enough training and guidance, competent too.

riander5
01-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

This is exactly why you didn't have any problems with your Sentra :D the QR25 up until 07 was for sure a piece of garbage though.

Buddy of mine has had one since 03 and its been pretty much bullet proof. Decent performance compared to other 4 cyl's of its age as well

:dunno: