PDA

View Full Version : Car door locksmith/repair

403ep3
06-27-2014, 06:48 PM
Hi,

My key is only going half way into the slot for my drivers side door. It works perfectly fine on the passenger and trunk doors.

Any recommendations on who can fix this and approximate cost?

It's a pain in the ass to go through the passenger door to unlock the drivers side door.

Thanks

jcox20
06-27-2014, 08:21 PM
What year and type of vehicle is it? Couldn't imagine it being to hard to take off the inside door panel and pop out the lock cylinder to see what is causing the blockage.

403ep3
06-27-2014, 08:41 PM
03 Honda civic sir.

Yeah I might take a look at that. Just worried it's something more than just a blockage.

I managed to get the key in a couple rare times but it doesn't work 95% of the time.

spikerS
06-27-2014, 09:19 PM
have you tried some powdered graphite lube? sounds like a stuck tumbler...

don't use WD40 or similar, it could end up making it worse as it will collect dirt and dust.

Maybe try a liquid spray cleaner into the lock first, let it sit for an hour or so, then put some graphite in. That might clear it all up.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-ultra-slick-extra-fine-graphite-lubricant-8g-0280805p.html#.U640IvldVic

BokCh0y
06-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Sounds like one of the tumblers in your lock may be fucked? That or you have something jammed in the hole. Regardless, would be a good idea to remove the lock and take a look at it.

Had something similar happen to my truck, ended up having to take the lock out and replace the one tumbler so the key would go all the way in and lock/unlock the door. Tedious but can be done easily and would save you the cost to have someone do it for you.