PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought a new car. 2015 STI

Pages : [1] 2

4doorj
06-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Finally bought a new car.
2015 sti Sport
Wow this car is hard to find.
Ended up buying at scotts subaru in red deer.
Michael there was awesome, I recommend him to everyone.
Love the car! Interior is 100x better then before.
Haven't really driven it hard yet as I just got home from picking it up from red deer.

I take crappy pictures, but in person the world rally blue looks a little different then before. It looks amazing in person.
http://www3.telus.net/public/4doorj/sti/medium%20sti.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/4doorj/sti/sti%20interior.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/4doorj/sti/sti%20front.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/4doorj/sti/sti%20si%20back.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/4doorj/sti/sti%20si.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/4doorj/sti/sti%20side.jpg

lamp_shade_2000
06-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Any interior pics?

jdmXSI
06-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Congrats!!! I really like the front end, any plans for the car yet?

4doorj
06-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
Any interior pics?

updated with just the one pic. Forgot to take pic of it. The red and black looks tacky in pictures, looks better in person.

Originally posted by jdmXSI
Congrats!!! I really like the front end, any plans for the car yet?

Thanks man, I wish you were still at subaru of calgary

I kinda just want to enjoy it. But I just ordered a front lip and the popular mudflaps.

Maybe buy wheels... not sure yet

jampack
06-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Very nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats!

Sorath
06-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Sat in one at the carshow, i thought the interior was miles ahead of the previous generations.

way to ball jmoney :bigpimp:

Redlined_8000
06-28-2014, 05:20 PM
Looks great! Congrats!

Mibz
06-28-2014, 06:54 PM
The more I see these, the more I like them. Just wish it had a nice auto.

Joe-G
06-28-2014, 07:37 PM
I like it more and more, every time I see one!

Are you still around the corner from me?

xnvy
06-28-2014, 07:48 PM
That's a nice looking car. Good buy!

Have you compared the rear seats on this gen to the previous? Looks like these one's are much roomier.

max_boost
06-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Awesome Jason. Congrats! Keep it for more than a year okay lol

4doorj
06-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
That's a nice looking car. Good buy!

Have you compared the rear seats on this gen to the previous? Looks like these one's are much roomier.
No sorry.

Originally posted by max_boost
Awesome Jason. Congrats! Keep it for more than a year okay lol

Thanks.
Hahaha you have to keep yours too.

FraserB
06-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Red and black looks awesome and I love the front end design.

Are these OK for taller people around 6'1"?

4doorj
06-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Joe-G
I like it more and more, every time I see one!

Are you still around the corner from me?
Yup still there.
In person it looks wayyyyy better

theken
06-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Congrats, I was looking at them also, more interested in the wrx non Sti version now based on price. But they look awesome in person

D__
06-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Congrats on the new car. Kinda thinking of the new Subbie myself.

Mista Bob
06-29-2014, 05:51 PM
I must admit at first with all the promotional shots from Subaru I saw of this car, it looked like a riced out Corolla.

But it actually looks alot better with regular photos of it. Although I still hate the taillights.

01RedDX
06-29-2014, 05:56 PM

Shlade
06-29-2014, 06:53 PM
There's 2 when I drove by centaur on Thursday...

Edit: nvm didn't realize there were different packages

BokCh0y
06-29-2014, 08:20 PM
Wow!!! Beautiful ride, congrats :thumbsup: :clap: :love: :thumbsup:

4doorj
06-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Mista Bob
I must admit at first with all the promotional shots from Subaru I saw of this car, it looked like a riced out Corolla.

But it actually looks alot better with regular photos of it. Although I still hate the taillights.

Yeah the car is hard to take photos of, in person it looks 100x better. In pictures the black and red looks like a canadian tire interior. In person soooo awesome. Everyone is surprised when they see the car in person.

Originally posted by Shlade
There's 2 when I drove by centaur on Thursday...

Edit: nvm didn't realize there were different packages
Yeah they have a wrx and a sti to test drive.

relyt92
06-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Definitely a good looking car. Is the upper smaller screen vehicle parameters?

msommers
06-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Mind if I ask what you paid OTD? If not PM is fine

Colour looks fantastic. How's it on the highway? Comfortable or super stuff? Road noise levels decent?

dj_rice
06-29-2014, 10:10 PM
Congrats. SO jealous.

I'll be going in to my local Subie for a test drive on Tuesday. Comtemplating picking a WRX. Not sure if I should get 14 or 15 though. Have you driven the older gens?How does this compare.

K3RMiTdot
06-29-2014, 11:41 PM
i love it. miles ahead of the previous gen . spoiler is a must go for me

E46..sTyLez
06-30-2014, 09:19 AM
WOW the interior is so much better than before! Congrats, perfect colour too!

4doorj
06-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by relyt92
Definitely a good looking car. Is the upper smaller screen vehicle parameters?
Yes

Originally posted by msommers
Mind if I ask what you paid OTD? If not PM is fine

Colour looks fantastic. How's it on the highway? Comfortable or super stuff? Road noise levels decent?
PM'd

Originally posted by dj_rice
Congrats. SO jealous.

I'll be going in to my local Subie for a test drive on Tuesday. Comtemplating picking a WRX. Not sure if I should get 14 or 15 though. Have you driven the older gens?How does this compare.
I had a 06, but driven a 2014.
Interior is wayyy better
Also from reports from everyone on forums, everyone gets mad that its the same motor. Besides that the car is way better then last generation. The rigidly is way up, handling is way better. It was all about handling this time, which you can tell.

Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
i love it. miles ahead of the previous gen . spoiler is a must go for me

Spoiler was a must have for me hahah

94boosted
07-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Congrats!

Interior looks so much better than previous STi's

heavyD
07-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Keep an eye on the corner edges of the trunk for paint chipping. It's happening to most of the 2015 STI's as the spoiler weight is making the trunk lid shift and the corners are hitting the body and chipping. Apparently the fix is the bump stops from the BRZ. Hopefully yours has the updated bump stops but if not you may want to visit the dealer and get them to order them for you. NASOIC and IWSTI have threads on the issue so you should look at the pictures and see if you have the new stops or the old ones.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627953&page=17

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2015-sti-discussion/269892-sti-trunks-chipping-corners-38.html

4doorj
07-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Keep an eye on the corner edges of the trunk for paint chipping. It's happening to most of the 2015 STI's as the spoiler weight is making the trunk lid shift and the corners are hitting the body and chipping. Apparently the fix is the bump stops from the BRZ. Hopefully yours has the updated bump stops but if not you may want to visit the dealer and get them to order them for you. NASOIC and IWSTI have threads on the issue so you should look at the pictures and see if you have the new stops or the old ones.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2015-sti-discussion/269892-sti-trunks-chipping-corners-38.html
Sweet thanks for that info. I heard about the chipping, didn't know they had a fix for it yet.

BavarianBeast
07-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Sweet! Nice ride. Any big plans?

Though I really am not a fan of the new spoilers. Feel like a lip spoiler would flow with the car better.

4doorj
07-03-2014, 12:41 PM

Ordered from calgary subaru, should be here next week. $2.58 each. Cheap!

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Sweet! Nice ride. Any big plans?

Though I really am not a fan of the new spoilers. Feel like a lip spoiler would flow with the car better.

Just little things, 3m/tint/mudflaps/wheels maybe/ front lip ordered

You can order the STI in base which comes with no wing now.

Team_Mclaren
07-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Drove my gf's sport tech the past few days, very impressed with the interior upgrade over the last gen. Gear box i thought was also excellent ( as good as the s2k). Congrats on the purchase.

4doorj
07-13-2014, 09:18 PM

Swapped out the bump stoppers. Hopefully it will prevent the chipping. The left one is the BRZ one, right is the STI one.
http://www3.telus.net/public/4doorj/sti/stopper.jpg

CRXguy
07-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Was that you I saw at the corner of 52nd and 130th around 7? I was in the black Integra eye-balling you. :rofl:

4doorj
07-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Was that you I saw at the corner of 52nd and 130th around 7? I was in the black Integra eye-balling you. :rofl:
Hahah yeah that was probably me, didn't notice probably because I was with a friend.

heavyD
07-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

Swapped out the bump stoppers. Hopefully it will prevent the chipping. The left one is the BRZ one, right is the STI one.
http://www3.telus.net/public/4doorj/sti/stopper.jpg

Being a little longer they should provide more resistance to moving around.

I actually like the standard Enkei wheels over the BBS style of wheels they chose for the 2015 models.

phatrabbit
07-26-2014, 01:55 PM
They offer test drives now?? I was denied a test drive when I ordered my '14. That's another example of how garbage the NE subaru dealership is. In fact, mine was the very first sti I've ever driven.

Congrats BTW :bigpimp:

Modelexis
07-26-2014, 02:53 PM
nice purchase, i'm jealous

4doorj
07-28-2014, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by phatrabbit
They offer test drives now?? I was denied a test drive when I ordered my '14. That's another example of how garbage the NE subaru dealership is. In fact, mine was the very first sti I've ever driven.

Congrats BTW :bigpimp:
Haha that's annoying.
I know Dan at centaur subaru was willing to let you test drive one.

eur0
08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Sweet ride, I drive past your house daily and usually see it in the garage haha (I live a block down further from the park). That or someone has the exact same vehicles as you including an s2000 that was there a lot up until recently.

4doorj
08-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by eur0
Sweet ride, I drive past your house daily and usually see it in the garage haha (I live a block down further from the park). That or someone has the exact same vehicles as you including an s2000 that was there a lot up until recently.
New brighton??
Yeah alot of car people find out where I live because everyone see's my cars. Especially my s2000s, they were bright yellow and modded and living on the main drive hahaha.

dj_rice
08-02-2014, 10:12 AM
What brand exhaust do you plan on going with? Perrin, Cobb, Invidia?

eur0
08-02-2014, 11:39 AM

New brighton??
Yeah alot of car people find out where I live because everyone see's my cars. Especially my s2000s, they were bright yellow and modded and living on the main drive hahaha.

Haha yeah I live a little further down the street on by the big red house on the corner.

4doorj
08-02-2014, 08:40 PM
What brand exhaust do you plan on going with? Perrin, Cobb, Invidia?
I just installed a "nameless" exhaust. It's a company from the USA. It looks pretty stockish but it sounds soooo good.

jtsimaras
08-13-2014, 09:42 PM

New brighton??

How does the STI compare to S2k? Sweet looking subbby ride.

4doorj
08-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by jtsimaras

How does the STI compare to S2k? Sweet looking subbby ride.
Totally different car, S2000 fits you like a glove. Fun to drive at slower speeds. It was nice never worrying about if the motor is going to blow, soooo reliable. Beautiful car. Just a fun handling drivers car.

Hard to compare this to the s2000, easier to compare to the EVO.

STI is fast, not as fast as my evo x was. But again my evo was stage 2 so can't compare. I hear soooo many horror stories of stage 1 STI motors blowing. Also there are a few threads on the STI forum of stock ones blowing so really scared to mod this one.
But its a awesome family car hahahha

Fit and finish is better then the Evo. I only had the GSR Evo because I wanted manual which didn't come with leather/hid/ nice interior. Evo was super easy to drive so it kinda got boring sometimes. Loved that car too

STI wayyyyy nicer interior, HIDs and way more loaded compared to the Evo. STI is fast enough for me. I plan on just keeping it stock and enjoy the actual car.

E46..sTyLez
08-14-2014, 09:13 AM
I ran stage 2+ airbox on my sti for the 3 years I owned it...never did anything more than an oil change and the standard stuff as far as maintenance. Engine was bulletproof for me.
I also said I was keeping it stock when I bought it, that lasted about 3 months lol. Stage 2 just opens it up SO much. Instead of just a spike of boost, it is continuous throughout the gear.

4doorj
08-14-2014, 09:31 AM
I've done a few things to entertain me keeping it stock-ish so I keep warranty. hahah

This is what I'm scared of, first page you open on 2015 sti on iwsti
http://www3.telus.net/public/4doorj/sti/blown.jpg

Perfect Dark
08-14-2014, 10:11 AM
I've done a few things to entertain me keeping it stock-ish so I keep warranty. hahah

And that's exactly why I will wait until they put the 2.0L in before the new STi goes back onto my list of cars to buy.

4doorj
08-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Perfect Dark

And that's exactly why I will wait until they put the 2.0L in before the new STi goes back onto my list of cars to buy.
Is this even a for sure thing?

D__
08-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Hopefully all you STI guys have good luck with your motors modded or not. I understand what you say about the EVO. I bought it because of the ability to make me more like a race car driver instead of the jabronie that I am behind the wheel but it's a little too good at that.

4doorj
08-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by D__
Hopefully all you STI guys have good luck with your motors modded or not. I understand what you say about the EVO. I bought it because of the ability to make me more like a race car driver instead of the jabronie that I am behind the wheel but it's a little too good at that.
Nice you ended up buying a sti, what specs?

E46..sTyLez
08-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Whoa...why so many blown motors on the 2015's?? Is it a different motor than mine was? Clearly, I have not done my homework on the new gen lol

4doorj
08-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
Whoa...why so many blown motors on the 2015's?? Is it a different motor than mine was? Clearly, I have not done my homework on the new gen lol
Same. This is why I just bought a axelback exhaust just to get the boxer rumble sound haha.
Don't want to mess with warranty right now.

Perfect Dark
08-14-2014, 10:47 AM

Is this even a for sure thing?

Not for certain but I think they'd be foolish not to.

4doorj
08-14-2014, 10:54 AM

Not for certain but I think they'd be foolish not to.
That's what I was thinking, but after seeing the car I wanted it right away so didn't want to wait 2 years for a maybe.

heavyD
08-14-2014, 10:54 AM

Yeah it sucks Subaru is having more EJ25 issues but it's no secret that Subaru simply has troubles making a reliable turbocharged engine. Right now it appears they may have a bearing related issue similar to the one that plagued the 2009 WRX where hundreds of cars had contaminated crankshafts. There seems to be a lot of early failures compared to the typical ringland failure issue that has been ongoing since 2008. My advice is to remain as close to stock as possible as a guy at work here got denied warranty this year by Subaru Calgary when his 2013 suffered a cracked ringland with less than 25k on the ODO because he had suspension and exhaust mods.

4doorj
08-14-2014, 10:58 AM

Yeah it sucks Subaru is having more EJ25 issues but it's no secret that Subaru simply has troubles making a reliable turbocharged engine. Right now it appears they may have a bearing related issue similar to the one that plagued the 2009 WRX where hundreds of cars had contaminated crankshafts. There seems to be a lot of early failures compared to the typical ringland failure issue that has been ongoing since 2008. My advice is to remain as close to stock as possible as a guy at work here got denied warranty this year by Subaru Calgary when his 2013 suffered a cracked ringland with less than 25k on the ODO because he had suspension and exhaust mods.
Damn thats scary. I know a guy that got denied motor warranty because he was lowered meaning he was racing his car. WTF haha

I just have axle back, everywhere on the forms says its okay. Do you think here in calgary it would cause any warranty issues?

What was his bill on fixing the car since he had no warranty?

Perfect Dark
08-14-2014, 11:04 AM

I doubt the suspension had anything to do with the claim being denied, more likely the exhaust was used as the scapegoat.

Bullshit? Of course, but the dealership will do everything in their power to bend over the customer post-sale if it keeps their margins up.

Aleks
08-14-2014, 11:49 AM

I doubt the suspension had anything to do with the claim being denied, more likely the exhaust was used as the scapegoat.

Bullshit? Of course, but the dealership will do everything in their power to bend over the customer post-sale if it keeps their margins up.

I don't think it's the dealer. Its Subaru Canada that would refuse to cover their labour. From what I understand dealers get paid well to do warranty work. :dunno:

I can also see it from their side. They sell a product, most guys go and modify things, product fails and now customer wants things covered. Not really fair to them either. However they fail stock too and looks like lots, so I'm sure Subaru is even more sensitive to modded failure claims and will look for any excuse to keep from paying for work.

heavyD
08-14-2014, 12:02 PM

Damn thats scary. I know a guy that got denied motor warranty because he was lowered meaning he was racing his car. WTF haha

I just have axle back, everywhere on the forms says its okay. Do you think here in calgary it would cause any warranty issues?

What was his bill on fixing the car since he had no warranty?

He had an Invidia Cat Back and Whiteline Sway bars. Didn't even have a downpipe. He actually tried to fight the dealership but lost and took it to a guy that just replaced the cylinder #4 piston as he couldn't afford a new shortblock on his dime. Still came out at $2k or something like that. Not the route I would have gone but different strokes for different folks.

I'm running a full turboback and Airboy tune so I'm SOL if my engine goes pop.:(

Perfect Dark
08-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I don't think it's the dealer. Its Subaru Canada that would refuse to cover their labour. From what I understand dealers get paid well to do warranty work. :dunno:

I can also see it from their side. They sell a product, most guys go and modify things, product fails and now customer wants things covered. Not really fair to them either. However they fail stock too and looks like lots, so I'm sure Subaru is even more sensitive to modded failure claims and will look for any excuse to keep from paying for work.

Yeah it could have easily have been Subaru Canada that denied it, but they really wouldn't have had a leg to stand on if the exhaust modification hadn't been done. The way I've understood it is that the onus would be on the manufacturer to prove that the modification compromised the failed part(s) to deny warranty.

I could be wrong though but it wouldn't make sense if a dealership could deny engine warranty because the car had a rear sway bar.

4doorj
08-14-2014, 01:45 PM
I guess we all have to just cross our fingers hahahha.

I was going to do stage 1 or stage 2 but after reading threads and reading about blown motors stopped me from doing it.

bart
08-14-2014, 03:45 PM
is subaru "chip tuning" still ghetto in that it needs to be altitude specific for example... etc ?

just swap your 2.5 for another :)

df-yU-g6ljE

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-14-2014, 06:59 PM
I put a cat back exhaust on my BRZ, if I have a major problem ill swap the stock one back on. I also kept all my stock suspension and such.

dj_rice
10-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Finallllly got a chance to test drive a 15 STI today. Customer traded his in for 15 C400 Benz today so luckily I got to take it home for an overnight test drive. Bought from Subaru Calgary, has only 4400KM on it, didn't like the ride, too "harsh" for him he said. Its just the base model STI. I'd say he only owned it for maybe a month or two. Pretty quick to get rid of it already.

Not sure how I feel about it yet. I need more than an overnight stay with it to have a final verdict but the power is certainly nice to have. Will be test driving the 15 WRX sometime soon to compare how both cars feel and if the new engine in the WRX is better or not. Certainly nice to have it sitting pretty in the garage though.

How are you liking yours 4doorj?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/s600x600/10678682_10152851773023417_3795930264182532961_n.jpg?oh=03a71dfe6d143133f2f6d4cb305cb36d&oe=54AF24D3&__gda__=1424920717_7d829c2ca5f8bf13e468b4c0ccbecca8
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10271596_10152851773328417_4791565254501417935_n.jpg?oh=7408f59924fdba2ff78c6a38d6744f42&oe=54A9F9F3&__gda__=1424729317_11fe7f8d7f2b563e14b78d2f6a8f1cbb

Heres a pic of it sitting pretty beside my other love.
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10710778_10152854270513417_2041277735017066796_n.jpg?oh=10ff6f1c5cc41c696dda84c2acff28d1&oe=54EECE6B

V6-BoI
10-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Hey 4doorj, how do you like the STi compared to the Evo X?

blownz
10-23-2014, 09:27 AM
All these years and you still like huge ass spoilers! lol

I still remember you from the actual "4doorj" days. JCA lol :thumbsup:

Congrats on the car though, they are amazing to drive. Hood scoop and spoiler are just too much for me. :)

4doorj
10-23-2014, 09:34 AM

How are you liking yours 4doorj?

I love it!!! I take it out as often as I can already have almost 7000kms on it. Ride is stiff but I enjoy it. I dont like it when my car is too soft. I like feeling the road.

It was kinda quite stock so I did titanium exhaust. Sounds soooo good.
And just added a few things just to make it look a little better.

Originally posted by V6-BoI
Hey 4doorj, how do you like the STi compared to the Evo X?

EVO was faster stock it felt but that could just be because the lag and it kicking in harder. The STI is more linear. EVO was stage 2 whole different monster. I would stage 2 this but I'm scared of my motor blowing hahahaha

I like the feel of the STI better, but interior the STI kicks the EVO's butt. I love the modern interior, leather seats, HID's. I hated the EVO interior, GSR sucked because no HID's or anything. If the EVO got upgraded it might of been a harder choice. The STI is just easier to live with because it's more modern. I loved both cars! I just like how easy it was to mod the EVO without worrying to much.

Originally posted by blownz
All these years and you still like huge ass spoilers! lol

I still remember you from the actual "4doorj" days. JCA lol :thumbsup:

Congrats on the car though, they are amazing to drive. Hood scoop and spoiler are just too much for me. :)
hahah totally!!! That site was awesome. Always so busy there.

HiTempguy1
10-23-2014, 10:28 AM

STI is fast, not as fast as my evo x was. But again my evo was stage 2 so can't compare. I hear soooo many horror stories of stage 1 STI motors blowing.

You know why this happens? Because people put aftermarket exhausts on their cars and don't get them retuned :banghead:

Seriously, everybody is blowing up stock cars because of the stock tune. You should do yourself a favour and go get a tune done asap. The car will be better in every way :dunno:

HiSpec
10-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

You know why this happens? Because people put aftermarket exhausts on their cars and don't get them retuned :banghead:

Seriously, everybody is blowing up stock cars because of the stock tune. You should do yourself a favour and go get a tune done asap. The car will be better in every way :dunno:

What's the typical difference in gain between a COBB stage 1 and a custom tune (eg Airboy)? Assuming the only modification is exhaust.

max_boost
10-23-2014, 12:18 PM
yes even i know that step 1 is reflash lol do that and then install the downpipe+exhaust :D

so 4doorj you feel like boyracer again? haha :D:burnout:

gpomp
10-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

What's the typical difference in gain between a COBB stage 1 and a custom tune (eg Airboy)? Assuming the only modification is exhaust. I gained 40 whp going from a cobb tune to an airboy tune.

4doorj
10-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
yes even i know that step 1 is reflash lol do that and then install the downpipe+exhaust :D

so 4doorj you feel like boyracer again? haha :D:burnout:
Yup hahaha missed it

heavyD
10-23-2014, 02:17 PM
The Cobb OTS maps don't work that well with our gasoline. They aren't terrible but you need to constantly keep an eye on knock as you can get knock at WOT at times. I'm making 30+ more whp with an Airboy tune over Cobb Stg.2 and much less knock on Husky 94.

dumplings
10-23-2014, 02:29 PM
'12 sti
approximately 19,000km
100% stock, broken in per manual
all service done through subaru calgary
rod bearing #3 failure - severe knocking. new shortblock needed.

car was my dd, never driven excessively hard and rarely saw boost. i was shocked at first due to relatively low mileage/driving habits, however after reading nasioc, i have learned it's not entirely uncommon to see ej's with low milage having similar issues (both stock and tuned versions).

heavyD
10-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by dumplings
'12 sti
approximately 19,000km

car was my dd, never driven excessively hard and rarely saw boost. i was shocked at first due to relatively low mileage/driving habits, however after reading nasioc, i have learned it's not entirely uncommon to see ej's with low milage having similar issues (both stock and tuned versions).

Yep failures like yours are common unfortunately. It's just the luck of the draw as some people can drive their cars hard with tunes and last for up to 50,000 miles while some fail stock grannied at 5000 miles. Stock or tuned, driven hard or not doesn't seem to matter all that much as these engines just aren't very stout.

4doorj
10-23-2014, 02:51 PM
When I first got the car it scared me. Now I just try not to think about it. Keeping it stock for warranty just in case. And just enjoying the car. I've never really just enjoyed a car. Always kept modding it.

dj_rice
10-23-2014, 09:39 PM
I took it home again for another overnight test drive. The more time I spend with it, I'm starting to like it alot less ONLY because on the route to work and route home to work where I live, its always god damn rush hour traffic and shifting gears constantly sucks...lol maybe I should get an Automatic C400 instead...

4doorj
10-23-2014, 11:31 PM
I took it home again for another overnight test drive. The more time I spend with it, I'm starting to like it alot less ONLY because on the route to work and route home to work where I live, its always god damn rush hour traffic and shifting gears constantly sucks...lol maybe I should get an Automatic C400 instead...
I rarely drive mine in traffic. It's usually going to basketball in the evening and going out on weekends. But I've heard of people complaining about it daily driving in traffic.

HiTempguy1
10-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec

What's the typical difference in gain between a COBB stage 1 and a custom tune (eg Airboy)? Assuming the only modification is exhaust.

Dunno, that is a pretty specific question. However, Sunny is by far the most open tuner about his stuff that I have ever met (and he worked with Rocket for a while, which I think means something in my books having dealt with them for years). I don't think it will be a huge difference, but I'd bet that it would be a safer overall tune with as much peak power (and more under the curve).

http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5291/5541526366_b64b7aa249_b.jpg

http://www.airboytuning.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2015-STi-stock-803038.jpg

That chart of stock vs tuned is nuts for the 2007! Look at that torque under the curve and at peak and even after peak :eek:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-24-2014, 09:54 AM
The EJ205 in my WRX defies all laws of Subaru and is still going strong with 235k and Cobb Stage 2.

Shlade
10-24-2014, 10:20 AM
^your motor was probably replaced at some point in its life. At least 2-3 times lol

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
^your motor was probably replaced at some point in its life. At least 2-3 times lol

Nope its never been replaced. It has been a highway car and religiously maintained, and only seen mods the last 15k.

2000impreza
10-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by dumplings
'12 sti
approximately 19,000km

Did you find out what caused the bearings to fail? I seen this happen twice and both times it was a broken oil pickup.

4doorj
10-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Before I get it winter ready
http://www3.telus.net/public/4doorj/sti/57xtreme/57xtremesidebig.jpg

Shlade
10-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Looks good

clem24
10-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Huge improvements to the interior for sure but can't say I am completely sold on the exterior.. Car also looks smaller compared to the outgoing model (probably a good thing) but just the car itself just 'looks' slower; IDK can't quite describe it. Still a nice ride!

4doorj
10-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Where do you guys take your cars for maintenance. I want to keep the warranty.
So far haven't been happy with either dealership in calgary.
Wondering if its worth the drive to red deer.

Perfect Dark
10-27-2014, 01:42 PM

You should be able to take your car anywhere and as long as they can prove that the proper things were looked at/replaced you will be fine.

I know back in the Option Import days they'd just go off the Subaru checklist (but for a fraction of the price haha).

flipstah
10-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Before I get it winter ready
http://www3.telus.net/public/4doorj/sti/57xtreme/57xtremesidebig.jpg

Damn what rims are those? Can't be stock. :love:

4doorj
10-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Damn what rims are those? Can't be stock. :love:
Rays 57 xtreme in velvet marine blue. Love the color, but soooo hard to take a picture of. In person the color is pretty crazy.

dj_rice
10-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Any ass end shots?Wanna see how the exhaust looks with the dual fart tips vs quad tips :thumbsup:

flipstah
10-27-2014, 01:59 PM

Rays 57 xtreme in velvet marine blue. Love the color, but soooo hard to take a picture of. In person the color is pretty crazy.

Mmm good choice. :love:

Hopefully I'd get to see this in person one day. Been looking at new options for winter wheels.

4doorj
10-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Any ass end shots?Wanna see how the exhaust looks with the dual fart tips vs quad tips :thumbsup:
Mine is just a single if your still interested in seeing it. I would have to upload a pic. The wing looks even bigger from the back hahahah

E46..sTyLez
10-29-2014, 02:03 PM

I used to take mine to Vex, they're a certified shop. They have the Subaru checklist they go by (A service, B service etc). They are primarily known for their performance service, but they are fully capable of standard maintenance.

heavyD
10-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Anyone dealt with Allmakes Auto Repair? They are supposed to be ex-Subaru mechanics and do lots of Subaru work. I hate the local dealers as well and want an option for when I have to take the car in for more than just an oil change which I do myself.

dj_rice
11-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Does anyone follow SubiSpeed?

Some pretty cool mods they sell on their website. This cheap mods changes the look of the tails alot. Can't wait to get my WRX next year. Gonna grab this mod and an exhaust as my first mods.

awrbbntrqlU

4doorj
11-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Does anyone follow SubiSpeed?

Some pretty cool mods they sell on their website. This cheap mods changes the look of the tails alot. Can't wait to get my WRX next year. Gonna grab this mod and an exhaust as my first mods.

awrbbntrqlU
I try not to look at their site or I will keep buying things hahaha
Their DRL lights on their site look very tempting!