PDA

View Full Version : projector based home theater instalation

austic
07-01-2014, 07:59 AM
I just moved into my new place and am looking at doing a projector based home theater in the basement. For anyone that has done it did you do it yourself or did you bring someone in? If so any good recommendations?

I am looking at doing an optima hd25e with an Accuscreen 106 inch fixed or Elunevision Reference 106-in Motorized Projection screen. I figure I can get away with not getting the LV version as I am putting it in a dark basement.

For those of you that have taken the plunge into the projector world how do you like it?

jaylo
07-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Hi Austic, I used Panasonic Viera on mine and I would recommend looking at Screen Innovations projector screens, it cost as much as the projector but it is worth it

Www.screeninnovations.com

Black Diamond Fixed
http://www.screeninnovations.com/projector-screens/fixed/black-diamond-fixed/

Got my projector mounts and cables from Tiger Direct, don't buy them locally as they are more expensive local

01RedDX
07-01-2014, 11:01 AM

austic
07-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Basement is finished so I am thinking install may be more tricky. Thanks for the recommendation I will check them out.

austic
07-02-2014, 09:11 AM
who did you use for the install or did you do it yourself?

cet
07-02-2014, 09:14 AM
I'm in the middle of building my home theater from the studs up. Long process but wort it in the end. Check out www.avsforum.com for a wealth of information regarding all things home theater.

mr2mike
07-02-2014, 09:29 AM
It'll be more tricky but first thing would determine which way your floor joists run. Then determine how to get the wires through.

If you're going all out, it might be worthwhile to remove ceiling to insulate for sound, run wires and conduit.
Or you'll just be cutting smaller holes to pull wires. With standing speakers, could possibly run under the floorboards as an option.

Also consider if you have access on other side of the wall, maybe an unfinished util room, etc. to run wires more easily.

01RedDX
07-02-2014, 10:46 AM

InRich
07-02-2014, 01:32 PM
So these things are 4K resolution now?

Maybe I should do this for my computer setup I play games on...

How are these things with alot of light in the room?

eblend
07-02-2014, 03:51 PM
I have a setup in the basement with an Optima HD projector as well, and an accuscreen from http://www.frontierpc.com

Mine is electric and comes down when the projector is powered on. I think it was like $250 some 4 years ago, with like $20 or $25 for shipping. Just checked and shipping prices are still low. Mine came all the way from Toronto and was in a massive long box. Check them out, at that time it was the cheapest place to get a projection screen. Think my whole projector + screen came out to like $1200 or something.

austic
07-03-2014, 10:12 AM
That set up looks great. I have a guy coming in on Friday to provide me with an estimate for installation and calibration. Not sure how much in wall wiring will be possible as my basement it fully developed.

:thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
07-03-2014, 11:03 AM
True 4K projectors are extremely expensive still.

Projectors in general are not good at all with "a lot" of light in the room, for example big windows with sun coming in.

As for screens, the best bang for the buck is definitely Carada:

http://www.carada.com/

They will also custom make you a screen for hardly any premium.

Unless you're doing something very complicated, install is pretty easy and you may not need to pay someone. Also the last installer I dealt with from reputable place in town told me what we wanted to do was "impossible" and my dad and I were able to do it in a single day ourselves :rofl:. So just be careful who you deal with, and maybe get more than one quote/opinion. Calibration is easy too, as long as you have a few hours to spare.

Since you are looking at a DLP projector, make sure you aren't sensitive to the rainbow effect from color wheels before you commit to that one. Look at the BENQ W1070 as well in the same price range.

Also consider Epson refurbished...this is a better projector than what you are looking at so long as you don't need 3D and Epson customer support is second to none:

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/jsp/Product.do?sku=V11H373120-N

Also if you are paying someone to do the install, do not buy cables from them - accessories and cables is where they absolutely rape you. Buy from www.monoprice.com

austic
07-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Might have to check out the Epson refurbished. Thanks for that, my install guy mentioned that one but at nearly 500 more new i wasnt sure it was worth it.

mr2mike
07-07-2014, 03:19 PM
What about checking out a pawn shop? I saw a few at Sharky's on 16th. Didn't look at pricing but might be able to get a cheap one. But factor in having to buy a new bulb.

flipstah
07-08-2014, 02:13 PM
We did our home theater setup ourselves as well. All you need is fish tape and somebody to guide you by listening where the tape is . It's pretty easy.

austic
07-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Got a quote in:
2 guys for four hours to do the wire placement behind the walls
@100 per hour =800
1 guy 6-8 hours for rest of installation and calibration 600-800

Looks like this is getting expensive.

Mitsu3000gt
07-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by austic
Got a quote in:
2 guys for four hours to do the wire placement behind the walls
@100 per hour =800
1 guy 6-8 hours for rest of installation and calibration 600-800

Looks like this is getting expensive.

It's so easy to do yourself, if you're willing, you can save a lot of money.

I also wouldn't pay $200/hr to run wires haha, if I understand correctly. Just grab a buddy and a wire fisher. It can be annoying at times, but not difficult.

Also make sure you aren't paying them for the wires themselves....that is where you will get raped.