PDA

View Full Version : Remote Starter cranking but not starting

Speed_69
07-02-2014, 09:37 AM
I just purchased a used vehicle yesterday that came with a Compustar Pro 2-way remote starter. I tried to start the vehicle by remote start and it cranks for about 5 seconds but it won't start. It then attempts again after about 15 seconds but same problem. Anyone know what could be the possible problem/fix?

Tarrantula
07-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Shitty battery? If it cranks its obviously working. How long does it take to start the car by yourself?

n1zm0
07-02-2014, 10:09 AM
I think there's some sort of other security protection built in it maybe but it's failing or the settings aren't correct, are the Compustars tapped into the ECU? Maybe it's telling it to crank but not letting fuel or spark to work.

Speed_69
07-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Tarrantula
Shitty battery? If it cranks its obviously working. How long does it take to start the car by yourself?
I'm pretty sure it's not the battery. It's a newer battery and when I start it manually, it starts just fine (1 or 2 seconds).

Swank
07-02-2014, 01:18 PM
I've been up against the same problem for years without any good solution. For me it seems that it is the vehicle battery, the remote start will only work for a year or 2 with a new battery then do exactly what you are describing. When I replace the battery it's fine again. I'm on my 4th battery now in 7 years. The dealership is usually unable to duplicate the problem, bah.

Manual start is fine too, as you describe.

Modelexis
07-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Sit in the car and hold your key up against the ignition, this will tell you if the immobilizer is preventing the car front starting. If the car starts using the remote and holding the key to the ignition it's failing to bypass the immobilizer.

Speed_69
07-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
Sit in the car and hold your key up against the ignition, this will tell you if the immobilizer is preventing the car front starting. If the car starts using the remote and holding the key to the ignition it's failing to bypass the immobilizer.

Tried this and still not starting :(

sr20s14zenki
07-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Maybe theres a bad relay in the box that is not energizing the ignition circuit. When the starter is activated, it should turn on the ignition circuit, accessories, etc, and then crank. It could also be an improperly programmed tacho, but usually that will manifest itself as a grind, because the car will start, but the box doesnt see the minumum rpm so it assumes it hasnt started yet and keeps the starter engaged.

Sit in the car and try to start it again. Do your dash lights come on? Do you hear the fuel pump prime when it kicks the ignition on? Should hear the pump come on for 3 seconds before start.

Forgot one thing too. Most starters that ive installed (in my own cars, i dont do it for people...theres no money in it) have fuses between the power sources and the relays. Maybe one of the fuses on the starter harness burned up.

Speed_69
07-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Maybe theres a bad relay in the box that is not energizing the ignition circuit. When the starter is activated, it should turn on the ignition circuit, accessories, etc, and then crank. It could also be an improperly programmed tacho, but usually that will manifest itself as a grind, because the car will start, but the box doesnt see the minumum rpm so it assumes it hasnt started yet and keeps the starter engaged.

Sit in the car and try to start it again. Do your dash lights come on? Do you hear the fuel pump prime when it kicks the ignition on? Should hear the pump come on for 3 seconds before start.

Forgot one thing too. Most starters that ive installed (in my own cars, i dont do it for people...theres no money in it) have fuses between the power sources and the relays. Maybe one of the fuses on the starter harness burned up.

When I press the button, the fuel pump is not coming on and the accessories lights are not coming on. It just cranks right away and what's odd is that sometimes it will send a message back to the remote saying that it started. :dunno:

cancer man
07-06-2014, 02:51 AM
Try it with the e-brake on.Got burnt on this before.

sr20s14zenki
07-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Speed_69

When I press the button, the fuel pump is not coming on and the accessories lights are not coming on. It just cranks right away and what's odd is that sometimes it will send a message back to the remote saying that it started. :dunno:

Totally forgot to get back to you. Yah, i would drop the underneath of your dash to get up by the steering column. Usually installers put the alarm box here. Check the fuses going to it. I bet theres a bad inline fuse.

looks like this

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/315Customs/DSC00479.jpg

Speed_69
07-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by cancer man
Try it with the e-brake on.Got burnt on this before.

Unfortunately it's not the e-brake.

Totally forgot to get back to you. Yah, i would drop the underneath of your dash to get up by the steering column. Usually installers put the alarm box here. Check the fuses going to it. I bet theres a bad inline fuse.

looks like this

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/315Customs/DSC00479.jpg

I'll take a look at this. I have an appointment booked with the shop who installed the unit so hopefully they can fix it if it's not the fuses.

Speed_69
07-13-2014, 05:14 PM

Finally got around to checking this today. Thank you so much sr20s14zenki!! One of the 20A fuses was blown. Replaced it and remote starter is working now! :clap: