PDA

View Full Version : Kayaking

chathamf
07-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Looking to rent a kayak for a day. Anyone know where to get a good deal? And any recommendations on a place to go? Beginners to the sport but don't mind something a little on the intermediate side rather then super beginner. Have done a little sea kayaking in the past.

BlueHaloGirl
07-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Best places to rent kayaks in the city are Undercurrents in bowness, or Aquabatics just off 16th Ave across from COP.
They also rent all the gear, paddles, pfd, spray skirts, float bags, throw bags, dry tops...ect. They will have lots of info on places to go kayaking as well.

Personally I'd suggest you drive out to Kananaskis and run the lower Kananaskis river, it's intermediate. Don't go alone, always kayak in a group, just in case. Just need to watch out for power line hole, it's decent size feature with lots of white froth. You can cheat in on river right, there is a huge eddie.

The bow is still pretty high to be paddling unless you go with a group that know the river, it's still moving pretty fast and the bridge pillars are super dangerous if you can't get around them in time.

Have fun!!!!

chathamf
07-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the info. Will be going with my girlfriend is that a large enough group for an intermediate run? I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee.. Will I be able to strap two of those to the roof?

msommers
07-03-2014, 09:45 AM
I think the Outdoor Center might do rentals too, can't remember if it's just canoes or what. The above mentioned are great choices.

Personally if you've only done a bit of sea kayaking, please don't go out to the mountains yet until you're completely comfortable rolling. The river is still quite quick, it's not something I could suggest without having upped your skills a bit more.

chathamf
07-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Yea I was looking into it and the old lady probably wouldn't want to tackle River rapids yet. Is playing around in the lakes really decent practice to up the ante or should you really go on a guided River tour to grab the hang of it?

msommers
07-03-2014, 10:29 AM
It sounds like you want to get right into the rivers, which is fine but go with someone quite experienced or a guide. One they can give you solid instruction and two they know proper areas for you to practice. The university even does like a 1 hr class in the pool on rolls and recovery, exits etc.

It's not hard but does take some getting used to. Practicing in a chill environment first I found much less stressful.

BlueHaloGirl
07-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Yeah if your going with your girlfriend and your more on the begginer side and don't have a roll I'd not venture down the lower Kananaskis river. That definatley changes my recommendations.
I'd stick with a lake. Maybe head out to Chesermere Lake and do some paddlilng there and practice wet exits. Or if you want to get more into river paddling look into taking a begginer course with Aquabatics or Rocky Mountian Paddling Centre.
Here is some info on the Rocky Mountain Paddling Centres kayaking courses:

Evening River Kayaking Course
This is a condensed version of our popular weekend River Kayaking course. 3 evenings (6:30 – 9:30pm), includes transportation and all equipment.

All Necessary Equipment is included

2014 Course dates

Evenings – Friday, Wednesday, Thursday

1. June 13 (pool), 18, 19
2. July 15 (pool), 16, 17

$195.00 + GST

That's just one of thier courses available on the caladar. They are located at the Bow Waters Canoe Clubhouse in the basement just off 17th ave right on the canal by Deerfoot.

Cheers

BlueHaloGirl
07-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by msommers
It sounds like you want to get right into the rivers, which is fine but go with someone quite experienced or a guide. One they can give you solid instruction and two they know proper areas for you to practice. The university even does like a 1 hr class in the pool on rolls and recovery, exits etc.

It's not hard but does take some getting used to. Practicing in a chill environment first I found much less stressful.

I totally second this, you want to learn to roll in a warm pool before the cold river...I'd look at the courses available.