PDA

View Full Version : brown food...suggestions

Seks
07-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Been a long time since I've dine in for east indian food.

Looking for some good and resonably priced restaurants in NW or NE. Buffetts only plz.

sabad66
07-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Royal India downtown on 4th Ave is pretty good. Lunch buffet is about $18... not sure how much dinner is

flipstah
07-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Surya or Clay Oven.

I love East Indian food but not legit so I don't know the really good stuff. Those are the good ones to me haha.

flipstah
07-03-2014, 02:24 PM

syscal
07-03-2014, 02:35 PM
I like Namskar on 16th Ave.

rated_R
07-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Kabab Hut up in the ghetto (Falconridge NE)- their lunch special is delicious and good value, for $7.99 you get rice, a choice of curry (butter chicken, chicken curry, goat curry etc.) salad, yogurt sauce, pop and naan

sooo good and filling!

Swank
07-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Mirch Masala - 6208 Rundlehorn Dr NE, I think their buffet is Friday/Saturday nights only.

BavarianBeast
07-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Make the drive to the south and eat at Taj Mahal. Can't be beat.

egmilano
07-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Tamarind in panorama is my fave, butter chicken and alo gobi is great there. namskar butter chicken tastes very blande now days, like it's just tomato sauce lol

Marsh
07-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by egmilano
Tamarind in panorama is my fave, butter chicken and alo gobi is great there. namskar butter chicken tastes very blande now days, like it's just tomato sauce lol

I like Tamarind too, but portions are getting smaller and price going up...so not really going there anymore.

Green Chili is pretty good IMO. Dine in location in crowfoot, and pick up only location by Mcmahon stadium.

Saffron Mantra on Centre St by 64 ave is supposed to be good too, but haven't been there myself yet.

300zxfairlday
07-03-2014, 06:15 PM
I would suggest nirvana in ne, same owner as juliets castle and amazing food / buffet

avishal26
07-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Recently I have frequented this place called Surahi next to Co-op on 90ave and Macleod South. Lunch buffet is $16 I think and is pretty damn good. Have yet to try it out for dinner.

bignerd
07-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Marsh

I like Tamarind too, but portions are getting smaller and price going up...so not really going there anymore.

Green Chili is pretty good IMO. Dine in location in crowfoot, and pick up only location by Mcmahon stadium.

Saffron Mantra on Centre St by 64 ave is supposed to be good too, but haven't been there myself yet.

Plus the owner has no idea what he is doing if you walk in to sit down and eat. He randomly writes down names on a sheet of paper and seats people however. We waited almost an hour and a half one night after being assured it would only take 40 mins. We ordered our food to go and left.

Even then, sometimes you order take out and it still isn't ready for half an hour after the time they told you to pick up.

msommers
07-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Any favorites around the Killarney area?

turbotrip
07-04-2014, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by rated_R
Kabab Hut up in the ghetto (Falconridge NE)- their lunch special is delicious and good value, for $7.99 you get rice, a choice of curry (butter chicken, chicken curry, goat curry etc.) salad, yogurt sauce, pop and naan

sooo good and filling!

co-sign

Pacman
07-04-2014, 07:46 AM

sooo good and filling!

Never tried the lunch special but they have the best chicken tikka around.

YCB
07-04-2014, 09:23 AM

sooo good and filling!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the chef used to be the one at Mirch downtown.

as per usual, prep for the stomach pains and ring of fire.. :drama:

n1zm0
07-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by 300zxfairlday
I would suggest nirvana in ne, same owner as juliets castle and amazing food / buffet

I remember going here with some guys in college, it was pretty good, quality stuff albeit the price.

But the EI guys I went with usually brought us to the one right across the lot, called Punjab Sweets or something, there was a video store that sold the tobacco leaf/betel nut things next door iirc. It was a buffet and the food was pretty good + cheaper, made me fall asleep during afternoon classes :rofl:

sabad66
07-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Another good non-buffet is spice hut in hunterhorn plaza (64th Ave near deerfoot). $7.99 lunch special gets u 2 pikora, 1 samosa, naan, butter chicken, vegetable curry, rice, yogurt. 7 days a week from 11am-3pm. I think I just talked myself into getting this for lunch today :D

JaffX
07-04-2014, 10:16 AM
I've always liked Tandoori Hut in Kensington. Unfortunately they only have the lunch buffet from 11:30-2:00.

rated_R
07-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by YCB

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the chef used to be the one at Mirch downtown.

as per usual, prep for the stomach pains and ring of fire.. :drama:

yep, the kababs are so damn good!

I find their food isn't too bad on the stomach compared to some of the other places

Graham_A_M
07-11-2014, 06:29 PM
+1 for Clay Oven in the NE, Their lunch buffet was unbelieveably good, especially for $15.

Namskar on 16th was pretty good for a while, but it went downhill, so we stopped going, portions sucked too.
Highest rated on Urbanspoon @ 95% (Ive eaten here countless times, its blocks from me, and the food is just un-fucking-believeably good) would be the Himalayan grill on 37th ST and 17th ave SW.... just too bad their closed for renovations.

I'd avoid Karma off of 130th ave in McKenzie town, both times we went we were hugely disappointed on all levels. We only went the second time, since we had a gift cert. from the first time we went since it was SO bad.

black300
07-11-2014, 06:41 PM
There is a new one that has opened up in the same pacific plaza has Clay Oven. It's on the corner. The food is much better than Clay over & the restaurant is renovated & very clean. it's called Desi Grill

They also do have lunch buffet M-F I beleive.

Check this link out http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1853664/restaurant/Northeast/Desi-Grill-Calgary

ExtraSlow
07-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Hit up Delhi Barbara last night. Tasty.

flipstah
07-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Is Surya any good?

bleu
07-12-2014, 11:31 AM
I love Puspa for Indian Food.

No buffet, but they have lunch specials.