PDA

View Full Version : Review: Pho Xuan

Weapon_R
03-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Let's get some Pho reviews going! It's good, cheap, and you can find a restaurant anywhere.

Food: 2.5/5

Service: 2/5

Ambiance: 1/5

Total cost for 2 bowls - $12.87 + tip.

Location: Next to Tigers Billiards, Across from Movie Dome and Pacific Place (Old Franklin Mall)

If I could give this place a lower ambiance rating, I would. It was disgusting. It was like the place hadn't been vacuumed in months. The chairs were your standard home dining room table uprights, very boring. The tables were cafeteria-type. Service was nothing to brag about, and neither was the food.

Anyone else go there? Am I being too harsh?

prosh
03-02-2004, 11:23 PM
U must not get out much. The catch with viet food is usually the slummier the place looks, the better/more authentic the food is. Whereas new places like Quyns or whatever by Sunridge Spectrum is so whitewashed but u do get a shiny new restaurant.

danricenguyen
03-02-2004, 11:27 PM
Prosh is right, Pho Binh Minh on 17th used to be awesome until it started trying to get "classy".

SoSlowDx
03-02-2004, 11:28 PM
as vietnamese I agree with you man...place no good at all :barf:

CelicaST-162
03-02-2004, 11:37 PM
While we are at this Pho rating....

Mekong Noodle House

Food 4/5

Service 5/5

Ambiance 3.5/5

Mekong does have kind of the "cafeteria type" tables, but more elegant. When you think about it, they are just tables. The Dining area is very nicely organized, very "classy" in a tasteful manner for a viet restaurant. They even have a separate smoking section in which can be sealed off!

CelicaST-162
03-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Talking about Pho...Im hungry!

Weapon_R
03-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by prosh
U must not get out much. The catch with viet food is usually the slummier the place looks, the better/more authentic the food is.

Originally posted by danricenguyen
Prosh is right, Pho Binh Minh on 17th used to be awesome until it started trying to get "classy".

You guys are both morons. Anyone who prefers a place with the carpet filled with dried pho noodles, crackers, paper, napkins, and other crap, tables that haven't been cleaned or cleared of plates and glasses is not a place that the majority of people want to eat at.

prosh
03-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Laff, if i'm a moron, u must be something other than asian thinkin some whitewashed place has good food. If u haven't noticed, pho places are like asian fastfood yo, if thats not good enuf for ya, why don't ya go to ur mcdicks for a cheeseburger

benyl
03-02-2004, 11:57 PM
I like the price and the taste isn't bad either.

0 for ambience.

Weapon_R
03-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Laff, if i'm a moron, u must be something other than asian thinkin some whitewashed place has good food.

I dont get why you keep mentioning other places when I haven't, but tell ya what - if you don't agree with my ratings, or SoSlowDx's agreement, put your own review up :thumbsup:

That.Guy.S30
03-03-2004, 12:00 AM
all the pho joints in this town suck.. the only one that is decent enough to go to is pho dau bo (cant spell that even though im vietnamese.. ahahahahahah)

lam-boy
03-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
all the pho joints in this town suck.. the only one that is decent enough to go to is pho dau bo (cant spell that even though im vietnamese.. ahahahahahah)

ooh man that place is horriable

best pho is at home!

thich
03-03-2004, 12:39 AM

I have to agree....
altho I do eat at Xuan occasionally as well.

but for the best Pho.... I cook it myself lol.

SoSlowDx
03-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Laff, if i'm a moron, u must be something other than asian thinkin some whitewashed place has good food. If u haven't noticed, pho places are like asian fastfood yo, if thats not good enuf for ya, why don't ya go to ur mcdicks for a cheeseburger
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Weapon_R

I dont get why you keep mentioning other places when I haven't, but tell ya what - if you don't agree with my ratings, or SoSlowDx's agreement, put your own review up :thumbsup:

wtf do you know hahaha

Originally posted by lam-boy

best pho is at home!

Originally posted by thich

yes best pho is at home where eat like true vietnamese

:)

Strider
03-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by lam-boy

best pho is at home!

Originally posted by thich

I have to agree....
altho I do eat at Xuan occasionally as well.

Originally posted by SoSlowDx

yes best pho is at home where eat like true vietnamese

Hook up some recipes!!
(include the brand of the pho noodles, and where to get it)

sputnik
03-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Saigon Y2K!

kev
03-03-2004, 02:31 PM
plain and simple.....pho is the shit...the one in chinatown upstairs of that bakery is good......:poosie:

thich
03-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Strider

Hook up some recipes!!
(include the brand of the pho noodles, and where to get it)

Recipes??... Do Vietnamese ppl even write down recipes? lol.

the BEST bet for you to learn is actually go over to a friend's house and watch them cook it.
even the recipes on the Net lack so much.
Plus you need to see all the ingredients to know what they are; sometimes weird ingredients are hard to know especially if they give you the wrong name of the ingredient.

rogue
03-03-2004, 07:14 PM
PHO ANH HUYEN on center is the best i find so far anyways. I love it there.:D

That.Guy.S30
03-03-2004, 09:36 PM
^^ omg dont even remind me ok.. haha i was goin to rent the next lot to for my business and i saw where they do thier cooking.. ahahahah

and shut up soslowdx.. go to vietnam and eat and then come back and tell me the pho here is good.. ahah j/k bro

thich
03-03-2004, 10:23 PM
^^ whey... that's not a good comparison!
Canadian beef is different beef/cow from Vietnam! haha... we got mad cow!... makes the soup taste different

That.Guy.S30
03-03-2004, 10:58 PM
^^ haah thats real funny becuase they dont even use beef/cow in their pho.. haahhaahahahah

SoSlowDx
03-03-2004, 11:20 PM
recipe is from vietnam my grandma makes good vietnam pho and my mom too haha and less MSG added haha..

lam-boy
03-08-2004, 12:08 PM
man so much MSG in vietnam, damn pho isn't that great but the bun bo hue and bun riew or whatever is absolutely fantastic.

thich
03-08-2004, 05:54 PM
bun rieu .. is alrite :)

i personally love bun bo hue!! and mi quang!

GTS Jeff
03-09-2004, 05:53 PM
i like pho xuan...sure the place is dirty, but most "authentic" places are. its mainly like that because the ppl that run "authentic" restaurants are probably from the homeland, and its daaamn dirty in most of east asia.

the nice thing about pho xuan is that u get pretty huge portions of decent pho for a good price. the only thing that bugs me is that its too far north.