PDA

View Full Version : Importance of existing Mileage on a used vehicle with low ultilization

Neil4Speed
07-07-2014, 10:45 AM
First off, I apologize for the subject title (sounds like a thesis paper or something).

I'm in the market for a used car in the next 12 months or so. I love the Lexus still, and its still treating me great, but I feel the need to get into something a tad more modern. I am looking at M35, M45's, TL's, GS, LS... but also toying with the idea of a E, 5, A6, Cayenne, SRX.

I put very little mileage on my car as I live and work downtown, I would say around 12k per year on average unless I do a big trip. Of course, when looking at the range of KM's it varies allot, with typically large premiums on low mileage cars (especially when it comes to this segement of luxury brands where many people are scared off by high mileage vehicles)

Being considerate that any vehicle that I purchase would have to be in good condition, and well taken care of - I'm weighing the pros and cons of looking at the Higher mileage vehicles to realize the larger savings in the initial cost and letting the mileage "catch up" to what the normal is, or buying a lower mileage vehicle (and paying a price premium) and continue to put on very little per year.

Any thoughts on this?

ercchry
07-07-2014, 10:52 AM
if you get an LS, i wouldnt worry about mileage... but good luck finding one with all the goodies, i waited a long time for mine.

Neil4Speed
07-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
if you get an LS, i wouldnt worry about mileage... but good luck finding one with all the goodies, i waited a long time for mine.

2004+ Silver on black or Black/Briarwood Pearl on Saddle is all I ask. They are loaded very nicely even in "base" form.

But yes, I have been waiting for a while.

ercchry
07-07-2014, 10:54 AM
ultra lux package or gtfo :bigpimp:

air suspension is well worth it

Unknown303
07-07-2014, 11:02 AM
ultra lux package or gtfo :bigpimp:

air suspension is well worth it

Until you put it in a ditch. :rofl:

ercchry
07-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Until you put it in a ditch. :rofl:

im sure it was still more helpful than not having it... since if i didnt have it i'd be on coils and they would have been set to street sweeping height :rofl:

Graham_A_M
07-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Yeah? about as long as we all waited for the rare instance your air suspension actually worked properly?

(just screwing with you bro, relax :) )

I wouldn't worry about higher KM vehicles, within reason of course. An older vehicle with higher KM's means it was used frequently, which is exactly what you should be after. The cars/trucks/bikes Im worried about? are the older ones with very low KM's. That typically connotates they'll have dried out seals, and a myriad of other issues such as the after effects of stale/acidic coolant eating through the coolant lines and the like.

faiz999
07-07-2014, 11:34 AM
id look at some usdm lexus GS, preferrably from texas or arizona. I was searching online recently and it seems there some good quality cars out there that might be of interest to u.

id probably stay away from the germans, unless the 5 series is the newer body one. wasn't a fan of the last generation and it seems with the resale prices, neither is anyone else.

not sure about TLs, but i personally don't find them very good looking for the segment. plus the AWD has a front drive bias.

o and for the actual question:

i don't think it will matter too much if you get something with relatively high mileage if you aren't planning on driving it alot.

slinkie
07-08-2014, 03:03 AM
I would go for a LS430 out of that list, great car for the price, and the exterior kind of grows on you. I don't think they photograph very well, but out on the road amongst traffic they have a nice presence.

sidewaysD
07-08-2014, 01:32 PM
For your choice on the SRX:
For First generations (High millage first gens suffer with interior quality. Paints peel, buttons pop-out/rub off, trims fall off, problems with interior electrical, Stability control issue, premature fuel pump failure, sticky door locks.)

Stay away from the older second generation SRX'S. (2010 model with the 2.8L V6 turbo)

That particular engine plant lasted only one year, due to faulty seals, connecting rods, and engine failure (Due to the fact GM said you can put Regular gas in it, but when the driver puts his foot to the floor, it Pre-ignites). There was a recall (to update ECU) but the engines had other issues such as faulty seals, and weak connecting rods.

If you can, get the Direct injected 3.6 V6. Great engine, quiet, reliable, powerful when needed, easy on gas (takes regular as well), Balanced perfectly with the six speed auto.

The second generation SRX's come in a few trims. Standard, Luxury, Performance, and Premium.

Each with their own array of gadgetry. For a nice ride the Performance and Premium models come with "adaptive suspension" which makes the ride surprisingly good, and "Active noise cancellation" (paired with the use of triple door seals) makes it a quiet ride.

Fairly reliable cars I must say, judging on forums, previous owners, and websites for medium to high millage.

If you are thinking of the SRX, or want more info PM me.

G-ZUS
07-08-2014, 02:01 PM
What are those LS's worth these days? Lady I work with has an 03 LS430 Ultra Luxury Model with 150 k on it, she wants $19 000 for it :dunno: :nut:

dubhead
07-08-2014, 08:07 PM
I test drove a SRX after driving a full load Terrain I was super under impressed by the SRX. Just my 2 cents.

sneek
07-08-2014, 09:05 PM
LS or GS for sure :bigpimp:

W211's aren't horribly unreliable for the most part. It depends on the engine as well, but from my research the suspension seems to be the biggest weak point. Otherwise they look modern and have all the goodies you might want.

I would say hell no to the Cayenne because the repair bills are not only expensive but also frequent.

clem24
07-09-2014, 11:17 AM
I think what you're asking cannot be answered in a general tell all answer.. Because mileage doesn't tell the whole story IMO. Do your due diligence, and then PRAY that you are lucky because when you are buying a used car, that's about as much as you can do.

I personally don't mind high mileage cars if they appear to drive good though me personally, I have my limit (like say nothing over 200k since you know it'll require engine work unless it's had it done already). I also ignore any ad that says 'needs work' or 'minor repairs'. I especially love the ones that say "$200 to repair, already have the parts" because if it was THAT cheap to repair, you would've fucking done it before selling it.

I've seen so many low mileage that look like absolute shit. Like when I was shopping for my winter car, I tested this 1997 Camry 5MT with supposedly 113k on the ODO. The thing was completely trashed, extremely dirty inside, and overall looked and drove like it had done 400k.

So my answer is, trust your instincts and don't be afraid to look at high mileage cars. Also, when buying used, I sincerely believe in "you get what you pay for". When I shop on Kijiji, I almost always ignore the cheapest ones that come in the search. And for used cars, it's only a few $k between medium and high mileage examples.

And really, when it comes down to it, buying a used car is all about luck.