PDA

View Full Version : Help! car damaged while at dealership or during tow

wrcftw
07-07-2014, 08:51 PM
I need some help, as I'm not sure how this could've happened and I'm very distressed over this. My 335i threw an electronic steering lock malfunction and would not start. I had it towed to Bavaria BMW (im in edmonton) by Double L Towing. BMW ran diagnostics and did work on the steering column and ELV. Car doesn't flash the code anymore and I was told I could pick it up this evening.

When I picked it up the mechanics notes said slight vibration under braking which I thought was odd but maybe they were just being nitpicky and I never noticed a slight vibration. I drove it home and a few kms away from the dealership I was at 100km/h and hit the brakes and the car vibrated violently under braking. Feels like I was riding the rumble strips. The vibration alters in tempo with speed and feels like its coming from the rear left.

I have no idea how this happened as it drove perfectly fine before throwing this code. The dealership was closed when I realized the issue so I left a stern message that something is very wrong. But I don't see how they could've warped the rotors or anything given that they were working on the steering column. I'm left to believe that maybe the towing company messed something up, but does that make any sense?

Argh, $1500 later and my car drives worse than when I brought it in. Very unhappy.

Any advice or thoughts on the issue?

Update: BMW mechanic told me it was a result of the car sitting inactive for too long (3 weeks). I don't really have much of a choice but to believe them, though I am thinking of taking it to the private shop I normally use.

MGCM
07-07-2014, 09:06 PM
......good luck? ya your in for some fun, dealer will blame tow truck, tow truck will blame dealer, both will play dumb:nut: :dunno: :thumbsdow

MR2-3SGTE
07-07-2014, 09:13 PM
was it a flatbed or the 2 wheel tow? The car vibrates in the steering wheel or the body?

wrcftw
07-08-2014, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by MR2-3SGTE
was it a flatbed or the 2 wheel tow? The car vibrates in the steering wheel or the body?

Body

01RedDX
07-08-2014, 07:44 AM

killramos
07-08-2014, 07:59 AM
Next time use bmw roadside, at least then you can just throw the bill at bmw NA and tell them to sort it out...

Sucks though, did they flat bed your car? If not it could has been lifted wrong or something and dinged a rotor...

AndyL
07-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Rotor should fit fully inside your wheel... So unlikely to be damaged.

That said - the LCA is aluminum and sits low enough to take a hit if the wrecker driver had bad aim and practiced the back in till she jumps methodology...

wrcftw
07-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Vibration under braking only, correct?

Yes only under braking, and the ferocity of the shaking increases with speed.

wrcftw
07-08-2014, 08:18 AM
guess I can't upload a pic!

wrcftw
07-08-2014, 08:19 AM
pic

dirtsniffer
07-08-2014, 08:20 AM
My guess is a wheel weight was knocked off your car during transport. Have a close look and feel inside both wheels to see if you can see them or where the should be.

Start with the small innocent stuff...

mr2mike
07-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
My guess is a wheel weight was knocked off your car during transport. Have a close look and feel inside both wheels to see if you can see them or where the should be.

Start with the small innocent stuff...

Then it would vibrate all the time at a certain speed. Not just under braking.

Is yours xdrive or rwd? They would have picked it up if it was RWD so the front wheels were on ground while being towed.

Maybe this steering lock, locked the front brakes too? Or it applies the front brakes slightly while parked or something?!? BMW does some crazy things you'd have to read about in their massive service manual. Maybe this warped the rotors being towed with slight brake being applied?

I would have the brakes checked out. Warped rotor or something like that.

dirtsniffer
07-08-2014, 08:45 AM
If it was the front brakes the vibration should also be felt in the steering wheel.

mr2mike
07-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Re read that it's coming from the rear side but really, I've learned it's difficult to make a full assessment with an eMechanic doing the diagnostics.
Someone who knows what they're doing, should drive the car.

We can only assume could be brakes, suspension, bushings, wheels, steering column.

wrcftw
07-08-2014, 09:10 AM
I took this picture as it was being towed from my driveway.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/meleskie/20140624_211449.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/meleskie/media/20140624_211449.jpg.html)

01RedDX
07-08-2014, 09:25 AM

JustinMCS
07-08-2014, 09:30 AM
always insist on getting a flatbed for towing!!!!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-08-2014, 12:27 PM
How long has the car been sitting? Did BMW wash it for you?

BavarianBeast
07-08-2014, 12:35 PM
You didn't tow your 335i on a flatbed..

Not very smart.

wrcftw
07-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
How long has the car been sitting? Did BMW wash it for you?

It sat for a while. Probably almost 3 weeks and yes they washed it, why?

wrcftw
07-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

Not very smart.

I'm no towing expert, how am I supposed to know how my car should be towed....should it not be the responsibility of the company to perform their service with the correct equipment?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by wrcftw

It sat for a while. Probably almost 3 weeks and yes they washed it, why?

Take the car out of town on a quiet road, go from 110-10km/h in a panic stop just before abs engages, then accelerate hard back to 110km/and panic stop back to 10km/h again, repeat ten timed then drive for 15 km or so without using the brakes to let them cool, report back if anything changes.

TheStigz
07-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Rotors= Warped.

Boys at BMW went for a joy ride.

Did you note the KM'S on your car before servicing?

AndyL
07-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

Not very smart.

A competent wrecker operator can tow a bmw safely on a wrecker... I've hauled literally dozens without any damage. (My only claim against was on a 3500 truck when I was still a fng)

Decks can do way more damage I'd operated incorrectly... Check out today's post from hangin with hookers on fb - 3500 express van needing a new frame...

01RedDX
07-08-2014, 01:19 PM

AndyL
07-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Almost got back in... Still a door whore ;)

One of these days the right offer will appear and I'll go play with winches and hydraulics again ;)

speedog
07-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Were the front wheels on dollies or were they free rolling on the pavement?

theken
07-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Don't go back Andy lol

GTS Jeff
07-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by TheStigz
Rotor= Warped.

Did you note the KM'S on your car before servicing? Why would anyone care to joyride a stock, old 3 series?

TheStigz
07-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Why would anyone care to joyride a stock, old 3 series?

Why would a kid joyride a stock Nissan Murano, loose control, and create another drive through entrance in the side of a shop? :dunno:

Kids, bored tech etc.

Also.. it's psychological. It's not your car, not your problem.. fuck it, and drive the piss out of it, or bag it. Similar to how some owners abuse rentals, or there girlfriends car.

GTS Jeff
07-09-2014, 12:36 PM

Why would a kid joyride a stock Nissan Murano, loose control, and create another drive through entrance in the side of a shop? :dunno:

Kids, bored tech etc.

Also.. it's psychological. It's not your car, not your problem.. fuck it, and drive the piss out of it, or bag it. Similar to how some owners abuse rentals, or there girlfriends car. There are better cars at a BMW dealer and usually staff are fairly professional. There could be the odd bad apple, but I'd be surprised. This ain't no NE sketch shop..

01RedDX
07-09-2014, 12:44 PM

sidewaysD
07-09-2014, 01:15 PM
There are better cars at a BMW dealer and usually staff are fairly professional. There could be the odd bad apple, but I'd be surprised. This ain't no NE sketch shop..

:rofl: :rofl:

Are you new to Beyond?

I wonder how many BMW dealer threads I can find here... on "sketch"

01RedDX
07-09-2014, 01:18 PM

sidewaysD
07-09-2014, 01:20 PM
His post count is high though...

01RedDX
07-09-2014, 01:20 PM

TheStigz
07-09-2014, 01:46 PM
There are better cars at a BMW dealer and usually staff are fairly professional. There could be the odd bad apple, but I'd be surprised. This ain't no NE sketch shop..

Hey buddy, don't get butt hurt.
I run a dealership in Calgary, and see what goes on. You are privileged to not know what happens at dealerships these days. Swept under the rugs, until the media finds a reason to sniff. Everything is dealt with internally, away from you and the public. We are a very open dealership with our customers, but that does not mean we don't have irresponsible employee's from time to time. Every dealership has them. Discovered, and dealt accordingly. But this takes time for discovery, or is covered up.

It's funny what you hear when customers go to car meets and report back after a service. Blows my mind sometimes.

But what do I know, I drive a Ford.

CapnCrunch
07-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Rotor= Warped.

Did you note the KM'S on your car before servicing?

How would they only overheat and warp one rear rotor? Brake-stands lol?

TheStigz
07-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

How would they only overheat and warp one rear rotor? Brake-stands lol?

*Sorry Rotors*

How can you feel/accurately diagnose by vibrations that just "One rotor" is causing a vibration? lol.

speedog
07-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Kids, bored tech etc.

Also.. it's psychological. It's not your car, not your problem.. fuck it, and drive the piss out of it, or bag it. Similar to how some owners abuse rentals, or there girlfriends car.
Shit, I've got relatives I won't lend vehicles to because they will just bag them. Won't lend them tools or anything else either because it'll usually come back in worse condition then when they initially borrowed it.

GTS Jeff
07-09-2014, 02:04 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/238337/owned-by-calgary-bmw-scumbags/

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=352386

If you read the first link, it seems to me that they manned up and handled the situation perfectly. I've dealt with Kevin Mah and that guy bends over backwords to help the customer. He spent a good 45 minutes with me on an issue that had nothing to even do with the dealership at all, just to be nice. Another stand up guy there is a brown dude named Jesse Farhat. Everyone in the service dept. except for the old Scottish guy makes you feel like a king.

You want bad service, go to Glenmore Audi. Those guys won't even say hi or make eye contact with you.

And for the second link...That's a Black Series, not an old 335. The reason it's gone viral is precisely because it is a rare occurence.

colinxx235
07-09-2014, 02:16 PM
^

I can't comment much on Calgary BMW service, issues were more to do with sales staff.

But I have to agree on the G-Audi service... sure want to lose it sometimes. Then others they are great, never really know what to expect.

01RedDX
07-09-2014, 02:20 PM

GTS Jeff
07-09-2014, 03:30 PM

It was more to illustrate that it can/does happen at the premium brand dealers, not just the sketch places.
You're right though, what's important is how they handle it. Yeah, everyone fucks things up every now and then, it's how those fuck ups are handled that matter.

cam_wmh
07-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by theken
Don't go back Andy lol

Disagree.

I own a communal garage door that's someone elses responsibility, and A VOLKSWAGEN.

I'd appreciate his expertise in the field.

jaylo
07-09-2014, 10:34 PM

I'm no towing expert, how am I supposed to know how my car should be towed....should it not be the responsibility of the company to perform their service with the correct equipment?

It is in your BMW owner's manual

CapnCrunch
07-10-2014, 07:58 AM

*Sorry Rotors*

How can you feel/accurately diagnose by vibrations that just "One rotor" is causing a vibration? lol.

Lol, seriously though, this guy needs to figure out what the actual problem is before he runs around blaming everyone.

wrcftw
07-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Dollies.

Update: brought it back to the shop. The mechanic told me there were rust spots formed from the car sitting for 3 weeks on my driveway and to brake hard a whole bunch of times to try and scrub it off. If not, they can grind it or I can buy new rotors.

mr2mike
07-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Another case of beyond ballers accusing everyone before finding out.

"The car was driving perfect until it didn't... 6 months ago. Not my fault"

I'm sure it's surficial rust, pull ebrake SLOWLY at a decent speed and take the rust off.

speedog
07-10-2014, 09:30 AM
So one would think a retraction of sorts from the OP with respect to to Bavaria BMW and Double L Towing might be in order, no?

schocker
07-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Dollies.

Update: brought it back to the shop. The mechanic told me there were rust spots formed from the car sitting for 3 weeks on my driveway and to brake hard a whole bunch of times to try and scrub it off. If not, they can grind it or I can buy new rotors.
Seriously, you never looked at the brakes yourself? :facepalm:

wrcftw
07-10-2014, 11:35 AM
I did...have no idea what I was looking for. It's not very noticeable and I'm not mechanically inclined. Man....tough crowd.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-10-2014, 12:03 PM
So basically if you had tried out what I suggested on page 2 that probably would have solved it.

Knew it.

J.M.
07-10-2014, 02:09 PM
:rofl:

wrcftw
07-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
So basically if you had tried out what I suggested on page 2 that probably would have solved it.

Knew it.

Didn't want to drive it so that my kms weren't more than when released from the shop.Fuck, I haven't been on this site in a few years and I won't be returning.

speedog
07-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Don't think you'll be missed.

JustinMCS
07-10-2014, 04:46 PM
theyre not going to joy ride a common 7 year old 335i when they have new m cars to drive around lol

G-ZUS
07-10-2014, 05:01 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

GTS4tw
07-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Didn't want to drive it so that my kms weren't more than when released from the shop.Fuck, I haven't been on this site in a few years and I won't be returning.

yeah better to stay where everyone agrees with you when you are wrong, and no ones feelings get hurt. :poosie: :cry: :cry: :cry:

MGCM
07-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
theyre not going to joy ride a common 7 year old 335i when they have new m cars to drive around lol

yes they will

AE92_TreunoSC
07-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by MGCM

yes they will

Not to the point of distorting rotors.

It's common for vehicles to develop pad spots on the front and rear rotors especially when sitting. It almost always machines out. It looks like rust but some people will argue its the pad material embedded into the rotor. Either way its positive run-out.

It's unfortunate that immediately the dealership and the tow truck gets blamed even though they had nothing to do with the issue.

They documented it and still get burned.

What do they have to do? Diagnose it and repair it for free because of another unrelated issue in which it was towed in for. It's not like they could have even done an initial test drive.

TheStigz
07-10-2014, 10:42 PM

yes they will

yup.

MGCM
07-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

Not to the point of distorting rotors.

It's common for vehicles to develop pad spots on the front and rear rotors especially when sitting. It almost always machines out. It looks like rust but some people will argue its the pad material embedded into the rotor. Either way its positive run-out.

It's unfortunate that immediately the dealership and the tow truck gets blamed even though they had nothing to do with the issue.

They documented it and still get burned.

What do they have to do? Diagnose it and repair it for free because of another unrelated issue in which it was towed in for. It's not like they could have even done an initial test drive.

Ive worked at 4 dealerships, if someone wanted to take a joyride its not impossible. Not getting caught.....while plausible, a fair bit unlikely, but also not impossible. Dealership service depts have zero room to whine about the way some ppl view them. They did it to themselves and are still doing it to themselves.

This service dept has proved they are a well oiled machine and gave it to the customer straight. Customer now understands the situation and can make an educated choice of what they feel is best for their vehicle at that time.

I still believe dealerships(sales or service) are crooks and I generally do not support them.
My choice, my experiences, my opinion:thumbsup:

TheStigz
07-11-2014, 07:26 AM

Ive worked at 4 dealerships, if someone wanted to take a joyride its not impossible. Not getting caught.....while plausible, a fair bit unlikely, but also not impossible. Dealership service depts have zero room to whine about the way some ppl view them. They did it to themselves and are still doing it to themselves.

This service dept has proved they are a well oiled machine and gave it to the customer straight. Customer now understands the situation and can make an educated choice of what they feel is best for their vehicle at that time.

I still believe dealerships(sales or service) are crooks and I generally do not support them.
My choice, my experiences, my opinion:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

wrcftw
07-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Bavaria did a great job and treated me properly. And double L was attentive and wanted to hear the outcome of the follow up service.

DontBannMe
07-11-2014, 12:59 PM
check if you wheel nuts are tight?

Disoblige
08-06-2014, 03:17 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/384512/fs-2007-black-bmw-335i-coupe/

Beware, guy is trying to sell the car.

GotRice?
08-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/384512/fs-2007-black-bmw-335i-coupe/

Beware, guy is trying to sell the car.

maybe the issue is resolved? should post in there and ask.

Redlyne_mr2
08-06-2014, 07:22 PM

Hey buddy, don't get butt hurt.
I run a dealership in Calgary, and see what goes on. You are privileged to not know what happens at dealerships these days. Swept under the rugs, until the media finds a reason to sniff. Everything is dealt with internally, away from you and the public. We are a very open dealership with our customers, but that does not mean we don't have irresponsible employee's from time to time. Every dealership has them. Discovered, and dealt accordingly. But this takes time for discovery, or is covered up.

It's funny what you hear when customers go to car meets and report back after a service. Blows my mind sometimes.

But what do I know, I drive a Ford.

Like any and all BMW dealers in Alberta everyone is overworked and no one has the time to take customer cars for joyrides. I'm not going to say it's never happened but if someone really wanted to bag on a car it's easier just to grab a used car or a demo off the lot and go. In my 7 years with BMW I never once saw a joyride unless the owner was ok with someone taking their z8 or z4m for a quick spin.

Disoblige
08-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by GotRice?

maybe the issue is resolved? should post in there and ask.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Regardless, just wanted to let you guys know because obviously he didn't disclose these issues in that thread. I know I wouldn't buy this car based on the responses in this thread from him.

avishal26
08-07-2014, 09:45 AM

Fuck, I haven't been on this site in a few years and I won't be returning.

Originally posted by speedog
Don't think you'll be missed.

:rofl:

speedog
08-07-2014, 10:46 AM
So wrcftw says they won't be returning, then turns around and creates a thread wondering why they can't post in the Marketplace...

http://forums.beyond.ca/attachment.php?s=&postid=4330805

and now they've created another for sale thread after getting their user rating back to 90%.

What a maroon.

G-ZUS
08-07-2014, 10:54 AM
So wrcftw says they won't be returning, then turns around and creates a thread wondering why they can't post in the Marketplace...

http://forums.beyond.ca/attachment.php?s=&postid=4330805

and now they've created another for sale thread after getting their user rating back to 90%.

What a maroon.

http://slackbastard.anarchobase.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/morans.jpg

speedog
08-07-2014, 11:05 AM
The maroon reference is an age old Bugs Bunny reference.

G-ZUS
08-07-2014, 11:18 AM

And I'm calling OP a Moran :D

lilmira
08-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Ha!

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/audi-mechanic-takes-car-home-141355039.html

mr2mike
08-12-2014, 11:06 AM
To test a faulty navigation system.
LOL

SUuurree.

G-ZUS
08-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Ha!

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/audi-mechanic-takes-car-home-141355039.html

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/384706/audi-mechanic-takes-car-home-owner-reports-it-stolen/

clem24
08-12-2014, 02:01 PM

Hey I got it. I even read that in Bugs Bunny's voice LOL.

88jbody
08-13-2014, 09:25 PM
we have had many cars do that after sitting a week or more is the weather is damp or humid enough the moisture will stay under the pads and rust a spot on the rotor, I bet if you took the rim off and turned the rotor you would see an outline from where your brake pad was when it was sitting for those few weeks.