PDA

View Full Version : Non marked roadways still 2 lanes each way?

Cooked Rice
07-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Back when I was 16 and taking my drivers training I was taught every roadway is a 2 lane even if there was no lines marking the lanes ie. most residential areas. Everytime I took a right turn the instructor expected me to stay close to the sidewalk and then signal over to the left side, and then signal right to get into the right side to take a upcoming right turn etc. I did this on my road test after conpleting the course and never lost any points for it. But since then I never did that and have yet to really see anyone else do the same in the 9 years since. Fast forward I decided to finally book my advanced test this week and was curious if this was expected by the examiner still? :dunno:

faiz999
07-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
Back when I was 16 and taking my drivers training I was taught every roadway is a 2 lane even if there was no lines marking the lanes ie. most residential areas. Everytime I took a right turn the instructor expected me to stay close to the sidewalk and then signal over to the left side, and then signal right to get into the right side to take a upcoming right turn etc. I did this on my road test after conpleting the course and never lost any points for it. But since then I never did that and have yet to really see anyone else do the same in the 9 years since. Fast forward I decided to finally book my advanced test this week and was curious if this was expected by the examiner still? :dunno:

i dont think its changed. i learned the same thing: "if theres enough space for two cars, there's two lanes."

im not sure i agree completely, but i understand the thinking behind it and i dont believe they have ever changed that rule.

i wonder tho, would you fail for signalling and its not considered two lanes?

jonsey737
07-08-2014, 04:56 PM
I treated it as two lanes where possible on my advanced test and the examiner seemed happy with it.

JohnK23A1
07-09-2014, 12:17 AM
Be prepare for downhill/uphill parking and parallel parking. At uncontrolled intersection slow down to 30km, i lost 10 point for going 40km. make sure you lean forward to make sure traffic is clear at uncontrolled intersection. Good luck on your test :)

Zhariak
07-09-2014, 07:02 AM
I'm not sure if this is more of "there's always two lanes", rather I think they were trying to teach vehicle placement on the road.

Too many people hang out in the middle, or sway side to side. I think they wanted to teach when turning to shift over to the side before turning to avoid holding up traffic, and if you're not turning to stay placed so that your not going to sway over and hit someone who is turning...

I could be wrong.

firebane
07-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by JohnK23A1
Be prepare for downhill/uphill parking and parallel parking. At uncontrolled intersection slow down to 30km, i lost 10 point for going 40km. make sure you lean forward to make sure traffic is clear at uncontrolled intersection. Good luck on your test :)

Uhm what?

You do the speed limit no matter where you are which is 50km/h unless in a school or park zone.

Uncontrolled intersections you come to a complete stop and check the intersection before going.

Unknown303
07-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Uh what?

Uncontrolled intersections

Uncontrolled intersections have no signs or traffic lights. They are usually found in areas where there is not much traffic. Be extra careful around these intersections.

If two vehicles come to an uncontrolled intersection from different roads at the same time, the driver on the left must let the driver on the right go first. This is called yielding the right-of-way.

And I believe the handbook says to slow down and prepare to stop not actually stop.

Edit: page 73 of the basic handbook.

pheoxs
07-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by firebane

Uhm what?

You do the speed limit no matter where you are which is 50km/h unless in a school or park zone.

Uncontrolled intersections you come to a complete stop and check the intersection before going.

Uncontrolled intersections are basically a 4 way yield. Slow down, ensure it is safe to proceed, then proceed. No need to do a complete stop.

mazdavirgin
07-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Unless there is a painted line it's not a proper lane. You can move into it to take a turn but if you get into an accident where you were driving in the unmarked lane(AKA parking lane) you are going to be at fault since you are technically not supposed to be driving there.

JohnK23A1
07-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Uhm what?

Just did my test yesterday, you only stop for right of way, other then that just slow down to 30km and check both way and cover your brake.

firebane
07-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by JohnK23A1

Just did my test yesterday, you only stop for right of way, other then that just slow down to 30km and check both way and cover your brake.

Well I am slightly more cautious since I was almost t-boned at a intersection like that once.