PDA

View Full Version : Question about calculating Book Value of stocks sold

whydontchathen
07-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Does anyone know the answer to this?

If you cash in stock (100 x $100 a share), how do you report this to CRA? If you have no clue what you paid for the stock years ago bcz you were purchasing it through Employee Stock Purchase Plan over a 10 year period, 20 years ago. How are you supposed to figure out the book value to pay tax on the profit?

Any help on this would be appreciated, or directions to find the answer, tks.

ExtraSlow
07-08-2014, 10:06 PM
The brokerage or plan administrator should have records of your "book value" or "adjusted cost base"

whydontchathen
07-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
The brokerage or plan administrator should have records of your "book value" or "adjusted cost base"

Well I don't know who to call about a Stock Purchase Plan from 1981 to 1990, and I'm talking about stock purchases in dribs and drabs over a 10 year period, and then continuing into dividend re-investment purchases in more dribs and drabs for the following 20+ years, both inside and outside of the plan..... very complicated and confusing imo.

Rev Canada is barking at me to do my taxes and now I don't know how to fill this out...... can I just guess a number? hahaha that's the only solution that I can come up with.....

mazdavirgin
07-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by whydontchathen

Well I don't know who to call about a Stock Purchase Plan from 1981 to 1990, and I'm talking about stock purchases in dribs and drabs over a 10 year period, and then continuing into dividend re-investment purchases in more dribs and drabs for the following 20+ years, both inside and outside of the plan..... very complicated and confusing imo.

Rev Canada is barking at me to do my taxes and now I don't know how to fill this out...... can I just guess a number? hahaha that's the only solution that I can come up with.....

The institution you bought the shares through should have all those records. Sure you can guess a number and have the CRA audit you into oblivion...

whydontchathen
07-09-2014, 02:48 PM
well like I said it was through employement, and 30+ years ago, but I will call the big bank I was working for then, (that's whose stocks I'm speaking of). Somehow I am skeptical that whoever answers the phone at this bank is going to know how much I paid for said dribs and drabs of stocks....

whydontchathen
07-09-2014, 03:07 PM
c'mon all you investor types, I know you're out there, :) . Where are all the myriad answers and suggestions to figure out this monumental dilemma?

bb in a couple of hours to hopefully see many many replies to this, :D

mazdavirgin
07-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by whydontchathen
c'mon all you investor types, I know you're out there, :) . Where are all the myriad answers and suggestions to figure out this monumental dilemma?

bb in a couple of hours to hopefully see many many replies to this, :D

Because it's rather simple. You either have the institution through which you did the purchasing do the math for you or you do all the math yourself with all the paper work you have of the purchases. That or hire an accountant to do it.

BrknFngrs
07-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
That or hire an accountant to do it.

I would not want to see the bill for reconciling 10 years worth of bi-weekly transactions (plus DRIP) that took place 30 years ago :eek:

Is this in a registered account or a cash account? OP, I don't suppose you maybe transfered the shares into a different account in a more recent year and you could reach out the broker to get the ACB at the time of transfer?

sabad66
07-10-2014, 04:52 PM
When did you sell them? Which brokerage did you use to sell them?