PDA

View Full Version : Allstar Copper #1216! - Dumbass

msommers
07-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Unit #1216 (BKX 6466) showin' us how its done!

1) Fake a problem requiring lights to run through the lights
2) Decide too much traffic but stay partially in intersection
3) Nearly smash pedestrian crossing the street with right-of-way

WGM-I0gfnPg

16hypen3sp
07-09-2014, 08:49 PM
:nut:

Nismorphed
07-09-2014, 08:54 PM
What an idiot

jdmXSI
07-09-2014, 09:00 PM
The only justifiable reason would be if he was tring to get to Heritage bakery on 37th and 17th before they closed. If not, definitely a douche!

revelations
07-09-2014, 09:07 PM
You guys have no idea what happens in a car.

Although this is a guess as to this specific scenario, I have been in this same situation many times.

- member is listening to the radio about a situation in progress, or reading on their laptop about a call in progress

- member decides to go code 3 for a second and take the red light but sees that the signals are going to change soon (safer than trying to run a red)

- still watching laptop or talking on radio when taking left turn (oops). I was in a car once when both of us were heads down on the laptop and we almost ran a ped on a crosswalk. :(

FraserB
07-09-2014, 09:11 PM
I'd say if he decided to go Code 3, then changed his mind after seeing the traffic situation, it's a good thing and not a bad one.

OU812
07-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I was in a car once when both of us were heads down on the laptop and we almost ran a ped on a crosswalk. :(

Cant one read and one drive?

:dunno:

speedog
07-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Beyond constantly amazes me with the number of people who are just that much better at doing stuff.

Personally, I have never worked a day in a police officer's shoes and as such, I would not ever second guess or surmise what they have to deal with during the course of their day.

Apparently though, there are people who can perform all of the tasks that a police officer has to do and can do them with more competence - too bad these most accomplished human beings can't find it in themselves to step up to the plate and perform the job of those that they are so critical of.

revelations
07-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by OU812

Cant one read and one drive?

:dunno:

Normally, but some of the calls were .....just too interesting ....and even if you do read it, the other will HAVE to check to make sure youre not pulling their leg .... :rofl:

msommers
07-09-2014, 11:25 PM
You guys have no idea what happens in a car.

Although this is a guess as to this specific scenario, I have been in this same situation many times.

- member is listening to the radio about a situation in progress, or reading on their laptop about a call in progress

- member decides to go code 3 for a second and take the red light but sees that the signals are going to change soon (safer than trying to run a red)

- still watching laptop or talking on radio when taking left turn (oops). I was in a car once when both of us were heads down on the laptop and we almost ran a ped on a crosswalk. :(

The guy sure seemed in a hurry once the light turned, either mistaken or distracted and nearly hit that lady but then after was doing the speed limit of 50km/h for quite a few blocks, with no lights on at all.

The last bit I'm not sure why you'd want to admit something so serious.

If I was the guy ahead, and you were the officer behind me...what would have happened? Laugh about it or pull me over?

revelations
07-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by msommers

The guy sure seemed in a hurry once the light turned, either mistaken or distracted and nearly hit that lady but then after was doing the speed limit of 50km/h for quite a few blocks, with no lights on at all.

The last bit I'm not sure why you'd want to admit something so serious.

If I was the guy ahead, and you were the officer behind me...what would have happened? Laugh about it or pull me over?

If a civilian did that, they would probably be pulled over. Driving like that generally warrants investigation. However it it was an unmarked vehicle following their discretion is a little different as they can turn a blind eye to seemingly minor things sometimes as joe public expects a marked unit to respond to every little infraction.

Police officers make mistakes all the time. Sometimes mistakes cost lives, sometimes you just keep going. Its all part of the job, but you have to work hard every second of every minute of your shift to minimize those mistakes. Many (otherwise good) cops end up driving a desk because of too many mistakes.

Type_S1
07-10-2014, 06:57 AM
^ what a horrible excuse.

BavarianBeast
07-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Looks like another one of our best and brightest.

I got lectured for 5 minutes by two transit cops yesterday because I didn't wait for the bell to stop ringing after the train had gone long by at stampede park..Threatened to give me a ticket and blah, blah, blah..

I love how they have bus ads that say like ' CALGARY TRANSIT BYLAW OFFICERS : 1000 CRIMINALS ARRESTED A YEAR'

Criminals? Like wasting a grown mans time because he knows bloody well when its safe to cross the tracks? Yes, I am a criminal. Fuck sakes.

DeleriousZ
07-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
^ what a horrible excuse.

I dunno, seems like a good excuse to me? People make mistakes, people are people, that's what people do. How many mistakes do you make at your work on any given day? I bet it's not 0. Wouldn't it be worse if the good cop that ends up riding a desk didn't end up riding a desk and was allowed to continue in the field making mistakes?

codetrap
07-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Or.. guys spills coffee into lap, clips light switch on the way to reaching for a napkin.. quickly kills lights. Waits for the light to change, and is slightly distracted by ball-sack being braised in hot coffee, and doesn't see pedestrian for a sec... but still stops in time to let pedestrian clear street safely.

Yeah, all you guys who are so fucking critical, pull your heads out of your asses for a few minutes and realize that cops are people too. I'm sure you've all had the odd bad moment behind the wheel, and would just love it if some random guy with a dashcam vilified you for it.

SOAB
07-10-2014, 08:39 AM
I find it funny how everyone comes to the aid of the cop in this thread but jumps all over the people in the car-cam thread for making a "mistake". they're people too.

cops are supposed to be professionals. they drive all day, every day. I expect better from them.

Lex350
07-10-2014, 09:28 AM
good thing he didn't make the "mistake" of running over the pedestrian. :rolleyes:

speedog
07-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
cops are supposed to be professionals. they drive all day, every day. I expect better from them.
Really? Every CPS officer drives all day, every day?

msommers
07-10-2014, 09:36 AM
If a civilian did that, they would probably be pulled over. Driving like that generally warrants investigation. However it it was an unmarked vehicle following their discretion is a little different as they can turn a blind eye to seemingly minor things sometimes as joe public expects a marked unit to respond to every little infraction.

That's rather honest of you, wasn't really expecting that.

Love all these white knights, like they're also part of the force and know what exactly the situation was. Guys, I'm the last one to be a "cop hater" but come on, this looks pretty bad, especially in the eyes of a lowly civilian :rolleyes:

Lex350
07-10-2014, 10:04 AM

Police officers make mistakes all the time. Sometimes mistakes cost lives, sometimes you just keep going. Its all part of the job, but you have to work hard every second of every minute of your shift to minimize those mistakes. Many (otherwise good) cops end up driving a desk because of too many mistakes.

I have no issue with turning the lights on or anything else other than the lack of attention paid and coming close to smoking the pedestrian. There is no excuse for an average joe to do it and there is no excuse for a cop to do it. Yeah...we all make the mistakes. The difference here is if I did that with a cop behind me, I would be pulled over so fast, given a big fat ticket and of course....the long lecture of what a little sh*t I was for not seeing her.

Stop justifying it. There are reasons why things happen and there are excuses. Reasons imply understanding of the situation. Excuses imply that it just wasn't your fault.

I hate the double standard here.

beyond_ban
07-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by rotten42

I have no issue with turning the lights on or anything else other than the lack of attention paid and coming close to smoking the pedestrian. There is no excuse for an average joe to do it and there is no excuse for a cop to do it. Yeah...we all make the mistakes. The difference here is if I did that with a cop behind me, I would be pulled over so fast, given a big fat ticket and of course....the long lecture of what a little sh*t I was for not seeing her.

Stop justifying it. There are reasons why things happen and there are excuses. Reasons imply understanding of the situation. Excuses imply that it just wasn't your fault.

What would the ticket be for? I actually fail to see a ticketable offense in the video. It was a close call yes, but in the end he did properly yield the right of way to the pedestrian.

TomcoPDR
07-10-2014, 10:29 AM

Let alone class 4 license holders "should be" held to a higher standard before they should be allow to perform motor vehicle duties if it's part of their job. (i.e. ambulance drivers, police, taxi/limo, small buses); Evidently, in this vid and how most taxi drivers I've seen in this city, seems to be opposite.

SOAB
07-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Really? Every CPS officer drives all day, every day?

that's all you got from my post?!? get fucked. :thumbsdow

revelations
07-10-2014, 10:35 AM

I never said this was an automatic offense against the Traffic Act, I said that had we seen this we would have likely pulled the vehicle over and checked on the driver (eg sober, stoned).

However, if the driver was a complete douche, I'm sure there COULD be a fine of some kind issued here if the cop wanted to (zillion ways to write a traffic ticket).

Not sure how you concluded that excuses automatically exclude fault from a person who has made a mistake. I've made some fine ones in my time (in all my careers), sometimes with good reasons, but it was always my responsibility.

revelations
07-10-2014, 10:41 AM
But as far as double standards, absolutely yes there is. For eg. the CPS dont generally write traffic tickets to City employees in City vehicles for minor infractions. I know at Enmax, we were busted speeding a few times but they were lenient with us because we were with the city.

The CPS green light mini-racing to Tims last year was a perfect example. The CPS were caught "stunting" and took a lot of heat for that. The members involved were identified (they came forward) and im sure they learnt their lessons, but I dont think they were ticketed.

TomcoPDR
07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/failing-to-yield-to-a-pedestrian-in-a-crosswalk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296561&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

:burnout: :winter:

revelations
07-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/failing-to-yield-to-a-pedestrian-in-a-crosswalk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296561&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

:burnout: :winter:

Yea I remember that , a BS ticket that was likely tossed .... but I see what youre getting at as far as applying a same standard.

Lex350
07-10-2014, 11:05 AM

I never said this was an automatic offense against the Traffic Act, I said that had we seen this we would have likely pulled the vehicle over and checked on the driver (eg sober, stoned).

However, if the driver was a complete douche, I'm sure there COULD be a fine of some kind issued here if the cop wanted to (zillion ways to write a traffic ticket).

Honestly I don't think it matters whether you are a douche or not anymore. I've lived in this city all my life and there used to be this thing called "discretion" when it came to writing a ticket. I just don't see that anymore. I think somewhere along the way there has been a fundamental shift in enforcement.

I know this isn't really true but it feels like it used to be about safety and education through enforcement. It now feels like punishment and revenue. (yes...a pessimistic way of looking at it).

I don't talk back or confront an officer if I'm pulled over but on occasion I have asked questions about the offence and they haven't been taken very well.

TomcoPDR
07-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Yea I remember that , a BS ticket that was likely tossed .... but I see what youre getting at as far as applying a same standard.

But no doubt, LE is a thankless job and just take a toll on someone.

Won't speak for others, but I'm sure there's a bit of jelly why civilians don't get these same minor infraction get-of-of-jail-free perks. lol But in reality, it is perks of the job, no different than employees of a cable company getting free or close to free cable/internet than regular joe blow, etc...

Stealth22
07-10-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm usually one of the first people to side with the police, but you have to admit, this looks pretty bad.

Sure, it's probable that he was on his way to a call (vast majority of the time, they're going to calls without lights or sirens), and he hit the lights thinking he should go through the red, then killed them either because of heavy traffic, or that the light was about to change.

Then the light changed, and he didn't see the pedestrian because he was distracted.

Yeah, cops have a tough job, and there's a million things going on inside a cruiser and on the radio. He wanted to get to the call to back up a fellow officer, but then in the time that this happened, another unit could have arrived, so his response didn't need to be so quick anymore. Possibly why he was driving within the speed limit afterwards.

Cops are exempt from the TSA in the performance of their duties. But once he shut down those LED's, he's still expected to drive in a safe manner. A civilian vehicle doing this would be pulled over for a talking-to, at a minimum.

Police officers are people too, but they are held to a higher standard. Of course, he'll never get ticketed for this, because as Tomco said, its just a perk of the job. In this case though, if I was his Sergeant, I wouldn't like what I was seeing.

All of the above is said without knowing the full details of the situation though. None of us know what the call was about. Could have been about a guy who had a history of weapons offences, but then 3 units were a minute away. The call could have come over the radio while he was waiting for the light to change, so he inches forward and then goes to flick on the lightbar to respond. Then three other units who are closer respond over the radio before he can, so the lights go off.

Calls can go to/from high priority to low priority in a matter of seconds. :dunno:

bignerd
07-13-2014, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

What would the ticket be for? I actually fail to see a ticketable offense in the video. It was a close call yes, but in the end he did properly yield the right of way to the pedestrian.

Probably driving with undue care and attention or some form of distracted driving.