PDA

View Full Version : M235i M Performance LSD - Available

killramos
07-10-2014, 10:52 AM
So finally BMW Canada have got their act together on the LSD for the M235i and have made it available.

2-3 weeks shipping from Germany.

All in installed cost is $4,225 + GST :eek:

Mine is scheduled for install August 6th :burnout:

Should be a good time! *Flame Hat On*

As a side note i believe the differential is the same one for the 3 and 4 series so those should be ready to order as well!

BavarianBeast
07-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Good choice man.

The electronic LSD that comes stock in those cars suck.

I had a 135i and before it flooded, and I was saving for a qualife mechanical LSD. Let me know how you like the difference.

benyl
07-10-2014, 11:01 AM
For that price, I would have waited for the M2. Jeebus.

KRyn
07-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Is the e-diff on the M235 welded or bolted? I assume welded in the manual and bolted in the automatic like it was in the 135/335?

killramos
07-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Thanks I am really looking forward to it. Colin also let slip that the Dinan tunes are very close so that might be in the cards to.

i cant imagine what the car wil be like with 360+ HP and the diff... :drool:

Alot of people love the Quaife but with teh car being brand new and maintaining the powertrain warranty you cant really say no to the BMW part. and as a Full pumpkin its not THAT bad of a price when you think about it. The part is a rebranded Drexler from what I understand which is a great diff.

killramos
07-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by benyl
For that price, I would have waited for the M2. Jeebus.

Yea maybe, its sounding pretty far off tbh. They will let the M4 have its glory for a while.

Though i am really quite happy with the 235, its a fantastic little car.

Considering its my daily I am ok with it being a little bit softer, i think the M2 will turn out very 1M like ( ie not much adjustability) unless they want to put it in M4 price range with adaptive parts...

zieg
07-10-2014, 11:49 AM
How does the car react to the lsd? Do you have to change anything or disable the ediff? The open differentials and lack of xdrive with the dkg are the two major things preventing me from picking one up as a daily...

rage2
07-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
Is the e-diff on the M235 welded or bolted? I assume welded in the manual and bolted in the automatic like it was in the 135/335?
The e-diff is just rear brakes clamping down on the wheel losing traction.

Originally posted by ZiG-87
How does the car react to the lsd? Do you have to change anything or disable the ediff? The open differentials and lack of xdrive with the dkg are the two major things preventing me from picking one up as a daily...
Usually, there isn't any reprogramming necessary to disable the e-diff. With a mechanical diff in place, the wheels won't have a high enough speed differential to trigger the e-diff.

killramos
07-10-2014, 11:58 AM
I have heard on 2addicts that there is some coding but I don't know what that entails, it might just be for reference. The diff is completely mechanical and as rage said the e diff doesn't really do anything especially now that the wheels won't really slip.

It is in all likelihood a very easy install to do yourself if that's what you mean. I chose to pay the install to save my warranty haha.

Mibz
07-10-2014, 12:18 PM
$4,225, Jesus.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Biggest complaint on my 135i was the diff, and one of the main reasons I sold it.

BavarianBeast
07-10-2014, 12:27 PM
The eLSD uses the rear brakes to control the spinage. The diff is neither bolted or welded from factory. It's shit, if you drive aggresively like most of us do you are going to go through brakes like nobodies business.

KRyn
07-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by rage2

The e-diff is just rear brakes clamping down on the wheel losing traction.

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
The eLSD uses the rear brakes to control the spinage. The diff is neither bolted or welded from factory. It's shit, if you drive aggresively like most of us do you are going to go through brakes like nobodies business.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Is the ring gear in the M235 bolted or welded. I would assume welded, which is unfortunate.

tawheed
07-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Glad to hear this is finally happening.. Sold my 135i because the lack of LSD sucked and I couldn't justify the cost of aftermarket. Over $4k is still insanity though, is it possible to order as it an option on the car when new?

killramos
07-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by tawheed
Glad to hear this is finally happening.. Sold my 135i because the lack of LSD sucked and I couldn't justify the cost of aftermarket. Over $4k is still insanity though, is it possible to order as it an option on the car when new?

You can apparently get it as a port installed option, not sure how that works for Canadian cars since we are slow to get everything. I have been trying for months to even get the damn thing ordered. In this way its the same as any M performance part

But it is not a factory installed option. Maybe on 2015+ as they are just starting to offer these on more of their cars. I could easily see the option cost getting down into the $2000 range if they did that.

BMW is just trying to be careful not to cannibalize M cars as well as gauging market desire for the parts in general.

The M performance parts add alot of cost to the car. Calgary BMW had a M235i full loaded with half a dozen of the performance parts on it and it was listed at 68 grand! 10 over max MSRP for purely cosmetic parts, no LSD on this one...

bjstare
07-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
$4,225, Jesus.

KRyn
07-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Interesting developments coming from the Americas.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943830

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003681&highlight=mfactory

http://www.teammfactory.com/company-profile

killramos
07-14-2014, 12:40 PM

It was never really an issue to get an LSD if you wanted one though? Between Quaife, Drexler, etc. The thing with the BMW part is that you maintain drivetrain warranty on new cars.

Correct me if I am wrong?

KRyn
07-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by killramos

It was never really an issue to get an LSD if you wanted one though? Between Quaife, Drexler, etc. The thing with the BMW part is that you maintain drivetrain warranty on new cars.

Correct me if I am wrong?

Define issue?

In the past if you wanted a LSD installed in a MT 135/335 you had to:
1) Remove pumpkin and ship to the states
2) Have them machine the pumpkin
3) Install LSD
4) Ship back to you
5) Reinstall into car

At a cost of around $4000.00 US. Don't forget all the down time you have to deal with as you are shipping your pumpkin from Canada to the USA.

Now you can simply:
1) Buy custom ring gear assembly (able to change final drive)
2) Purchase LSD (from anyone)
3) Install ring gear and LSD

At a cost of less than $2000.00 in parts + installation labour.

I can't see how BMW would even know if you had installed an aftermarket LSD in your car.

killramos
07-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Define issue?

In the past if you wanted a LSD installed in a MT 135/335 you had to:
1) Remove pumpkin and ship to the states
2) Have them machine the pumpkin
3) Install LSD
4) Ship back to you
5) Reinstall into car

At a cost of around $4000.00 US. Don't forget all the down time you have to deal with as you are shipping your pumpkin from Canada to the USA.

Now you can simply:
1) Buy custom ring gear assembly (able to change final drive)
2) Purchase LSD (from anyone)
3) Install ring gear and LSD

At a cost of less than $2000.00 in parts + installation labour.

Fair enough, i didn't realize it was that much of an ordeal before. Regardless its nice to see bmw actually taking ownership of their cars are performance vehicles.

BBursey
07-14-2014, 01:27 PM

I'm keen to learn more about the MFactory diff. With my 1-Series in it's current state, an LSD would be the next logical step.

Any suggestions about who in Calgary (or Alberta) would be best able to install the MFactory differential in my current housing?

Cheers,
Bryan

2011 135i M Sport | COBB V3 AP Stage 1+ | ER FMIC and CP | BMS OCC | Dinan Stage 3 Suspension | Dinan High Performance Bushing Kit | M3 Wishbones | Modified CDV | Clutch Stop | APEX EC-7 Wheels w/ Michelin PSS 235/40R18 265/35R18 Tires | Maddad Street Series Exhaust | BMW Performance Kidney Grills | LCI Blacklines | Armrest Delete | Spoiler Delete | 28% Tint

KRyn
07-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by BBursey

I'm keen to learn more about the MFactory diff. With my 1-Series in it's current state, an LSD would be the next logical step.

Any suggestions about who in Calgary (or Alberta) would be best able to install the MFactory differential in my current housing?

Cheers,
Bryan

Installing a differential isn't rocket science so any competent mechanic should be able to handle the job. That said, if you go with a OS Giken LSD I would have Vex Performance take care of the installation. I would purchase the ring gear set from Mfactory and shop around for the best deal you can find for a differential once you have decided what brand you are going with.

On a side note Bryan, who installed your M3 subframe bushings?
P.S sweet jesus that is a lot of over priced Dinan parts on your car! :rofl: :D ;)

redline
07-14-2014, 02:30 PM

Cheers,
Bryan

Tunerworks

BBursey
07-14-2014, 02:32 PM

Installing a differential isn't rocket science so any competent mechanic should be able to handle the job. That said, if you go with a OS Giken LSD I would have Vex Performance take care of the installation. I would purchase the ring gear set from Mfactory and shop around for the best deal you can find for a differential once you have decided what brand you are going with.

On a side note Bryan, who installed your M3 subframe bushings?

I don't think I'd go with a clutch-type differential due to increased maintenance for what's essentially a weekend car (with a short work commute a few days a week). I'd probably go with the MFactory torsen differential along with their ring gear and pinion. I had my intercooler installed by Riegel Tuning a couple months ago and had a good experience there.

I had all the Dinan stuff and M3 wishbones installed at Calgary BMW. Unfortunately, I did most of the suspension work at the same time, so I can't tell you much about the M3 subframe bushing directly. (In fact, I'd love to be able to get the car on a lift and look around to confirm they're even in there!).

Cheers,
Bryan

KRyn
07-14-2014, 02:58 PM

I had all the Dinan stuff and M3 wishbones installed at Calgary BMW. Unfortunately, I did most of the suspension work at the same time, so I can't tell you much about the M3 subframe bushing directly. (In fact, I'd love to be able to get the car on a lift and look around to confirm they're even in there!).

Cheers,
Bryan

From what I have read the single best suspension upgrade you can make on the E82 are the M3 bushings. Apparently the difference is night and day. Surprised you didn't do a rear sway bar at the same time as the Stage 3 Suspension. Do you find the car understeers more now with just the front sway bar?

If you go ahead and order the rear diff let me know. I am seriously considering it for next year assuming I manage to save a few sheckles.

BBursey
07-14-2014, 03:20 PM

From what I have read the single best suspension upgrade you can make on the E82 are the M3 bushings. Apparently the difference is night and day. Surprised you didn't do a rear sway bar at the same time as the Stage 3 Suspension. Do you find the car understeers more now with just the front sway bar?

If you go ahead and order the rear diff let me know. I am seriously considering it for next year assuming I manage to save a few sheckles.

I didn't add a rear sway bar since one doesn't come with the complete Dinan kit. Between the 235 Pilot Super Sport tires and the nearly -2 deg camber up front, I've not experienced any understeer at the speeds I've been willing to push the car on the street. I've been playing with front tire pressure to above the feeling of rolling over the tire, but for the most part, turn in is aggressive enough to scare me.

I'll be sure to post back later in the summer if I get the LSD. I just added the intercooler and COBB tune, so I'd best get back in the wife's good books before I spend more money on the car.

Cheers,
Bryan

KRyn
07-30-2014, 04:50 PM
For you Killramos... (once you get a proper diff)

?v=-LpPc8qutCA

killramos
07-30-2014, 05:35 PM
For you Killramos... (once you get a proper diff)

LpPc8qutCA

brilliant! ( link didn't work but i resurrected it by reading it in your quote)