PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got an idea to direct inject (starter fluid) into my scooter?

Dumbass17
07-10-2014, 04:30 PM
So I've got an old spree I like to rip around on. However, everytime I want to start it, I have to have my buddy spray starter fluid into the intake while I start/rev it. it's just a pain in the ass. So I was thinking I could rig in something where the can of starter fluid is near my feet or near the handle bars and I depress it myself while also starting the scooter. Just not sure how to approach this, or if something similar like this apparatus exists that I can modify....thoughts?
lol

Graham_A_M
07-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Damn dude, you're rocking a Spree? hahaha, You dont have to spray it into the intake, but rather the outer portion of the air cleaner, which is not hard to get to. Id be more curious as to why you have to do that in the first place, using too much of that stuff, or too often will likely lead to premature engine failure.

Maxx Mazda
07-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Agreed. Fix the root problem so you don't need starter fluid.

Dumbass17
07-11-2014, 07:49 AM
I think it's just cause I don't ride it that often. And it's got like 6000kms (or maybe miles even) on it.
Once it's running and stuff it's good but I just don't ride it or start it enough as it's at my buddy's place down town :dunno:

TheStigz
07-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Clean out your carb, change your spark plug, and if it's a two stroke injected scootie, flush out the old two-stroke oil, and put new two-stroke oil in the reservoir.

Graham_A_M
07-11-2014, 08:31 AM
^ Lol, two stroke oil doesn't expire, no need to swap that out, its not like it has an octane rating to it. :rofl: I have at my condo a can of Bombardier two stroke oil from the late 60's/early 70's Id use today if I wanted to, only I dont want to open that classic oil can.

Agreed on opening up the carb to visually inspect the pilot jet and needle, just flush the whole thing out, its not hard, just put it back together the same way it was disassembled, and you should be good to go, you'll want to buy a can of carb cleaner for that though.

bjstare
07-11-2014, 01:43 PM
+1 for simply cleaning it. Take the carb off, clean the needle/jet and you'll be good.

firebane
07-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Being that its a 2 stroke scooter the carb isn't probably that bad.

I have a 50cc 2 stroke scooter myself and it had sat for awhile and the carb was actually quite clean.

But you still do need to do general maintenance on this.

Dumbass17
07-21-2014, 10:38 AM
thanks
hopefully get around to that this weekend

Graham_A_M
07-21-2014, 08:51 PM
^ If you need a hand, PM me. I just spent this last afternoon completely going over my buddies Ninja 900 that he just bought, it needed a LOT of TLC, and I just finished all that....

bikes are RIGHT up my alley, been riding them for 25 years now, so if you need a hand, Id be happy to help.