PDA

View Full Version : Tenant/neighbor issues

88CRX
07-10-2014, 08:54 PM
My tenant had a conversation with their neighbor about an issue (smoking outside and the smell coming in an adjacent open window) and the neighbor blew up and told my renter that they had no right complaining cause renters don't have rights, and that she was going to get my tenant evicted blah blah blah. I wasn't there so i don't know exactly how it went down and I'm only getting one side of the story.

Then they later had another conversation regarding a barking dog that the neighbor has and from what I gather it ended up in another argument and eviction threats.

Anyways, should i contact the condo board and/or speak with the neighbor to sort this out. My tenant doesn't want any problems and is now concerned about being evicted.

I have had no issues or complaints about my tenant to date.

FraserB
07-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Neighbor first so you have firsthand experience with him going bonkers, then condo board.

roopi
07-10-2014, 09:21 PM
If your tenant doesn't want any problems they shouldn't be complaining about anything.

thrasher22
07-10-2014, 09:29 PM
If the your tenant is going to the neighbour with valid complaints and their neighbour blows up at them and threatens to get them evicted, talk to the police. This is both verbal assault and uttering threats, both of which are illegal. Not only are they making someone feel uncomfortable and unsafe in their home, they're also going to be costing your business to lose income when you can't get tenants.

While I'm sure no serious legal action would immediately come of this, I bet the CPS knocking on their door would change their tune.

Or alternatively, you could go talk to them and tell them you'll be calling the cops. Maybe bring someone as a witness/ backup just in case.

Originally posted by roopi
If your tenant doesn't want any problems they shouldn't be complaining about anything.

I'm just assuming this is a joke? No one is that big of a douche.

JustinMCS
07-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Smoking sucks, but if the board allows it and they are smoking on their patio where they are supposed to, nothing they can do if it comes in the window, you just have to close the window.

The dog on the other hand, that would be taken more seriously.

I am on the board at my building and this is how we would view those. Also, tenants have the same rights as an owner, they are considered residents and the condo bylaws that your building has doesn't treat tenants any differently, it probably has it worded something along the lines of, "any resident".

88CRX
07-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
Smoking sucks, but if the board allows it and they are smoking on their patio where they are supposed to, nothing they can do if it comes in the window, you just have to close the window.

The dog on the other hand, that would be taken more seriously.

I am on the board at my building and this is how we would view those. Also, tenants have the same rights as an owner, they are considered residents and the condo bylaws that your building has doesn't treat tenants any differently, it probably has it worded something along the lines of, "any resident".

Thanks, I'm going to swing by and try to talk to the neighbor. Hope it was just some misunderstanding and all the adults can be adult like.

Stealth22
07-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by thrasher22
If the your tenant is going to the neighbour with valid complaints and their neighbour blows up at them and threatens to get them evicted, talk to the police. This is both verbal assault and uttering threats, both of which are illegal. Not only are they making someone feel uncomfortable and unsafe in their home, they're also going to be costing your business to lose income when you can't get tenants.

While I'm sure no serious legal action would immediately come of this, I bet the CPS knocking on their door would change their tune.

Or alternatively, you could go talk to them and tell them you'll be calling the cops. Maybe bring someone as a witness/ backup just in case.
As JustinMCS said, smoking on their own property isn't illegal either...you could ask politely, but if they want to be a bunch of jerks, you can't stop them unless they're smoking in a public area of the condo where smoking is prohibited.

Now, about calling CPS. I can see where you're coming from, but nothing the police can do in this case, unfortunately, at least as criminal charges go. Unless the neighbour makes actual threats of bodily harm, there's no real crime being committed here.

However, that being said, the neighbour can't just blow up at you either. From what the neighbour has done so far, the police charge them with anything, but an officer can give them a stern talking-to. But getting the police involved is escalating things quite a bit. I'd try and be adults about it first.

Since you're getting second-hand information, I would go talk to the neighbour yourself. Ensure that you're polite, and you could try recording the conversation with your phone. But double check what the rules are on that first...I don't know if the other party is supposed to be notified.

If the neighbour blows up at you too, THEN you can call the police. Don't expect the officer to arrest them or lay any charges, but a CPS constable knocking on their door would make it clear that their behavior is unacceptable. If they're stupid enough to blow up at the officer, well...then you might see the handcuffs come out. :D

spikerS
07-11-2014, 09:08 AM
The CPS are not going to do anything. 1, there is no threat to safety. 2, this at most is a civil matter. You are wasting the CPS's time if you call them out for this, and that is IF they agree to show up.

The best thing you could do in this situation, is address it in person. If you know someone on the condo board who can accompany you just to watch and observe, all the better. If in talking with the neighbor they blow up at you, THEN you go to your condo board.

Address the issues as pollution. Both noise and air. Both can also be brought up with a Calgary Bylaw officer if the condo board will not action it.

DO NOT call the CPS.

88CRX
07-11-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm not calling CPS.... I'm trying to diffuse the situation not make it worse.

rage2
07-11-2014, 09:32 AM
People who are so fucking sensitive to little things shouldn't live in a condo.

Yea, that's all I have to contribute here.

Feruk
07-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Your tenant is complaining because the neighbors are smoking on their patio. This to me seems obsurd. Your tenant is causing unnecessary trouble.

Originally posted by thrasher22
If the your tenant is going to the neighbour with valid complaints and their neighbour blows up at them and threatens to get them evicted, talk to the police. This is both verbal assault and uttering threats, both of which are illegal.
Both of which are also impossible to prove. It's all a bunch of "he said, she said bullshit." Cops won't and can't do anything.

Originally posted by roopi
I thought that was only true for rape victims in India. :eek:

88CRX
07-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by rage2
People who are so fucking sensitive to little things shouldn't live in a condo.

Yea, that's all I have to contribute here.

I would tend to agree with that.

spikerS
07-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
Your tenant is complaining because the neighbors are smoking on their patio. This to me seems obsurd. Your tenant is causing unnecessary trouble.

Tell that to all the idiots who complained about smoking in bars and on patios.

Graham_A_M
07-11-2014, 03:23 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me, I live in a condo, owned by a friend whose not there. I used to smoke on my balcony, but that created a LOT of problems with the penthouse above me, as they'd always have their windows open during the warm months.

Basically, he was a dick, and couldn't care less if it irritated him, as he'd always slam his windows shut. Basically after other childish attempts, he carefully read the condo board rules, and it came down to the fine print in the rules...... smoking (basically) wasn't allowed other then in the designated areas. So we could have challenged that as we've seen others smoke on their balconies without issue, but decided againest it. If it really was an issue you're willing to fight, by all means. The condo board can change the rules if its so decided, but I didn't want to create any more tension, since the person above me was honestly a child when it came to dealing with any issue, no matter how big or small... Verbal abuse, you name it, just unbelievably immature.

JustinMCS
07-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
and it came down to the fine print in the rules...... smoking (basically) wasn't allowed other then in the designated areas. So we could have challenged that as we've seen others smoke on their balconies without issue, but decided againest it. If it really was an issue you're willing to fight, by all means. The condo board can change the rules if its so decided, but I didn't want to create any more tension, since the person above me was honestly a child when it came to dealing with any issue, no matter how big or small... Verbal abuse, you name it, just unbelievably immature.

Couple of things here.

1. It's not fine print, the bylaws are the bylaws. If it says you can't smoke on your balcony and only in designated areas, that's the rules. By living in the building, owner or tenant, you have to agree to those rules. If you don't like the rules, don't live there. If others are smoking on their balconies they are against the bylaws also.

2. The condo board cannot change the bylaws without a special resolution and a new copy of the bylaws going to all owners with 75 percent of owners agreeing to the new bylaws.

Living in a condo is easy and so many people make it so difficult because they "just didn't know"

Graham_A_M
07-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Asides from the bylaws, I know if enough people consent to it, it'll change. I just didn't care enought to pursue that option....

thrasher22
07-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
Both of which are also impossible to prove. It's all a bunch of "he said, she said bullshit." Cops won't and can't do anything.

Totally, but having someone in uniform knocking on their door would probably make them realize they're way out of line. I have a big problem with people who look down on renters or try and push them around (as I'm a renter).