PDA

View Full Version : Instrumentation Engineering Technology Practicum

phaedrus16
07-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Hey,

I'm due to take my first year of Instrumentation Engineering Technology at NAIT in September, and was wondering about the practicum, or work experience deal that is held in the spring/summer between the first and second years. Would any current or past students have any info about this practicum? Is there any choice in where you are placed to work? Are students paid, and, if so, how much do they usually make throughout the practicum?

Thanks

HiTempguy1
07-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Could you show where you found this info about a "practicum"?

I finished the program 4 years ago (at NAIT) and recently worked with a former coworker who finished a bit over a year ago and came directly into our workplace. No co-op or practicum. This also isn't mentioned on the NAIT program outline, whereas any other program that has a practicum does.

Just trying to help! If there was such a thing, it will absolutely be paid so no worries there.

BTW, is there any specific reason why you are doing Instrumentation? Personally, I have found that if you lean more towards the engineering side rather than field side, an electrical engineering technology diploma is much more valuable. There are lots of instrumentation jobs in this province... up north. All the EET's get the office jobs.

My two cents. Instrumentation is rewarding, but I find EET's doing a lot of the same work on the engineering side that IET's do. EET's also have a much broader role to play in the general economy of Canada, while IET's (especially in good ol' berta) get pigeonholed into O&G.

HiTempguy1
07-10-2014, 11:52 PM
My point is, if you are planning on being in the field, just go apprentice. You'll earn more money per hour as a jman than as a IET, plus your education will be paid for, plus you won't have two years of lost wages to have to compensate for.

On top of all that, Instrumentation positions are usually looking for people with their ticket, especially in the field.

Once again, I am not trying to dissuade you from doing the program, but am trying to help you make sure you are taking the program for the right reasons ;)

CompletelyNumb
07-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
My two cents. Instrumentation is rewarding, but I find EET's doing a lot of the same work on the engineering side that IET's do. EET's also have a much broader role to play in the general economy of Canada, while IET's (especially in good ol' berta) get pigeonholed into O&G.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
My point is, if you are planning on being in the field, just go apprentice. You'll earn more money per hour as a jman than as a IET, plus your education will be paid for, plus you won't have two years of lost wages to have to compensate for.

This man speaks the truth.

Matty_10
07-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Agreed, but it also depends on what you want to do. EET has the option for field work or office work. I've also known guys to get there jmans first then there tech diploma just to get the gravy field jobs. I might do the same thing while I'm young.

phaedrus16
07-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Wow! It sure is embarassing when I don't even know the layout of the program I'm entering. Thanks TempGuy for enlightening me with regards to the fact that IET does not have a practicum. I think what happened was that a couple of years ago, I was accepted into Power Engineering at NAIT, but could not attend for personal reasons. I know that Power Engineering has a practicum between the first and second years, and merely assumed that Instrumentation Engineering would as well.

Thanks for also bringing up the comparison between the journeyman and tech routes that one can take with Instrumentation. To be honest, I really wasn't aware that Instrumentation could be pursued as a trade, and, as you have alluded to, is probably more lucrative in the long run. I really don't know much about Instrumentation in and of itself, quite frankly. I applied to Power Engineering this year, and merely selected Instrumentation as my alternative choice. Given that NAIT has switched from a first-come-first-serve basis, to selecting students based on marks (at least for Power Engineering, I'm not sure about other programs), I most likely won't get into Power Engineering. That's ultimately why I landed on Instrumentation Engineering Technology.

So, with all of that being said, I'm curious to know more about the options available with regards to the Instrumentation Engineering Technology program. I am definitely more interested in office work as opposed to field work. I should ask though, with field work, do you mean like a plant setting, or perhaps working up in the oilsands in Ft. Mac? That's what I've always assumed field work to be for Instrumentation. I don't really want to do the journeyman route that results in field work. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I just don't think it would be for me. Is there such a thing as office positions for IET's? I think I could handle plant life for a while, if I knew that there was the opportunity to move up into an office position eventually.

Lastly, I just wanted to clarify, did you say you graduated as an IET, and are currently working as one? If so, can I ask about the kind of work that you are involved in right now? Would you be able to give a brief description of your daily routine? You're mentioning of EET is very intriguing. However, the one concern I have is getting into the program next year. When I was accepted into Power Engineering, NAIT was still using the first-come-first-serve method. I didn't get into Power Engineering this year, and fear that if I give up my spot in IET and opt for EET next year, I may find myself rejected from both programs next year. I'm not sure how true this is but the competitve averages seem to be getting higher each year (I checked and it's 75% for IET this year and 77% for EET. I think my average is around 80%). Anyway, any further information you might be able to provide would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

HiTempguy1
07-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by phaedrus16

So, with all of that being said, I'm curious to know more about the options available with regards to the Instrumentation Engineering Technology program. I am definitely more interested in office work as opposed to field work. I should ask though, with field work, do you mean like a plant setting, or perhaps working up in the oilsands in Ft. Mac? That's what I've always assumed field work to be for Instrumentation. I don't really want to do the journeyman route that results in field work. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I just don't think it would be for me. Is there such a thing as office positions for IET's? I think I could handle plant life for a while, if I knew that there was the opportunity to move up into an office position eventually.

IETfield work means many things but generally there is plant site (construction or maintenance) which is all over Alberta or actual traveling to different sites everyday field work (again, all over Alberta). Unfortunately, most of the jobs are up north, and are exclusively either maintenance or construction at a plant.

The reason I suggested a EET is because they typically work in the office. The core issue with being an IET is you are viewed as
Being a jman without the ticket. This leads to a poor value proposition if you exclusively do field work, as the jman ticket will get you further imo.

And as for office work, I am right there with you man. 35*C, busting your ass off outside in coveralls? Pass on that imo, thats not a career.

In order to get a job doing design or actual engineering work south of fort mac, that is where the iet is your go to card. However! The jobs for such positions are rare. Again, an EET is typically expected to be an office worker, you'll rarely meet one in the field. Mainly because the electrical code is extremely strict, hence the need for a ticket. Sure, there is instrumentation code, but its essentially best practices, not "we'll shut you down if you dont comply". You'll meet lots of IETs in the field without jman tickets.

Lastly, I just wanted to clarify, did you say you graduated as an IET, and are currently working as one? If so, can I ask about the kind of work that you are involved in right now? Would you be able to give a brief description of your daily routine? You're mentioning of EET is very intriguing. However, the one concern I have is getting into the program next year. When I was accepted into Power Engineering, NAIT was still using the first-come-first-serve method. I didn't get into Power Engineering this year, and fear that if I give up my spot in IET and opt for EET next year, I may find myself rejected from both programs next year. I'm not sure how true this is but the competitve averages seem to be getting higher each year (I checked and it's 75% for IET this year and 77% for EET. I think my average is around 80%). Anyway, any further information you might be able to provide would really be appreciated.

Thanks. ]

Sure thing. Yes, I did graduate from the program. I do research and development work for the Alberta Government (formerly the Alberta Research Council, now Alberta Innovates - Technology Futures). I work in a group called Industrial Sensor Technologies.

I was extremely.lucky to get this position. Luck of the draw horrible HR people did a poor job advertising. Also lucked put on them wanting someone fresh out of school and I had a 4.0gpa.

I do everything. I research and develop new analytical ideas and techniques, I do fabrication work, I travel to sites for the installation and commissioning of equipment, and I perform maintenance on the equipment if our clients dont want to.

I am an EXTREME exception. And I wouldnt recommend doing what I have done to anyone else. I've been extremely underpaid for the past 3 years but am finally doing well. In hindsight, I should have went directly up north for experience, BUT its a catch 22/situation... If you go up north, you typically stay up north. The work up there will also not (imo) help you transfer into engineering/design later on down south.

Honestly_ if you want meaningful design/engineering work and you want to get paid properly, try to get into the EET program.

Keep in mind, it is the hardest of the technology programs imo. Electrons hurt the brain sometimes.