PDA

View Full Version : First luxury car...anyone bought a BMW X5 recently?

Stealth22
07-11-2014, 09:54 AM
So the parents are looking at possibly getting a BMW X5. Its sort of between the x35d and x35i at this point, but it's still pretty early in the search. We're going to be test driving both of them.

I was just wondering...this is going to be our first German car. I know that routine maintenance is included in the purchase price...4 years/80K if I'm not mistaken? How are BMW's in terms of reliability?

Is there anything I should be aware of about BMW's or German cars in general? Both dealers are owned by the same people, but I'm hoping that one will be more willing to make a deal than the other.

I've done a couple searches on Beyond, and found some useful info, but nothing too specific on the X5, unless I just didn't look hard enough. It seems that both dealers are mediocre in terms of service. Is that accurate?

I haven't talked to Ryan on Beyond yet, but I think I'll be giving him a shout.

Is the gas mileage that much better on the diesel? It's about $1500 more than the x35i in terms of purchase cost. This would be our first diesel car as well, if we went in that direction.

max_boost
07-11-2014, 10:01 AM
You pay cash bro? Go see Ryan for bro pricing. Why not X5M bro?

GQBalla
07-11-2014, 10:12 AM
From my findings the savings from Diesel to Gas it takes a few years to start actually saving at the pump but maintenance on diesel is more so it's pretty much the same. This was for financing.

colinxx235
07-11-2014, 10:15 AM
I would also recommend talking to Ryan based upon everything said in the past and talking to him personally.

My recommendation is to push for the 5.0 (x5M is quite a bit more than that), but that is because I love the power it packs vs the 3.5
And after spending quite a bit of time behind the 5.0 its a beauty haha

Stealth22
07-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
From my findings the savings from Diesel to Gas it takes a few years to start actually saving at the pump but maintenance on diesel is more so it's pretty much the same. This was for financing.
Ok, I'll have to keep that in mind then. I think we'll have to drive both of them, because part of the decision will be how each one feels.

Originally posted by colinxx235
I would also recommend talking to Ryan based upon everything said in the past and talking to him personally.

My recommendation is to push for the 5.0 (x5M is quite a bit more than that), but that is because I love the power it packs vs the 3.5
And after spending quite a bit of time behind the 5.0 its a beauty haha
Well, like I said, its for the parents (but I love car shopping...we all do! Its a guy thing :rofl: ), so I think the x50i is going to be off the table. Maybe in a few years when I get one. :burnout:

Thanks for the tips, all. I'll have to give Ryan a shout.

If anyone has anything else to add, I'm all ears.

flipstah
07-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

:werd:

You save a lot on fuel switching to diesel but then it's offset by its' high maintenance costs so it's really a wash.

German cars are going to be expensive to fix in the long run because of all the electronic gizmos it has.

VWEvo
07-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Resale on the diesels is much higher, go with the diesel. Great torque on that engine as well.

Ryan is the man, I've bought my last few BMW's thru him.

InRich
07-11-2014, 10:47 AM
I have a 2011 X5 5.0 and LOVE IT! whata great car. BMWs are the best cars on the road IMO.

colinxx235
07-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Stealth22

Well, like I said, its for the parents (but I love car shopping...we all do! Its a guy thing :rofl: ), so I think the x50i is going to be off the table. Maybe in a few years when I get one. :burnout:

Thanks for the tips, all. I'll have to give Ryan a shout.

If anyone has anything else to add, I'm all ears.

Yah I have no clue what your parents are like/driving style. My dad for years just bought fat boat suvs (durango, cherokee, escalade etc etc)
The smile on his face when he drove the 5.0 sold him instantly, just floored it. His only regret was not getting the M but for him a/c seats were a must have and they didn't have one. The 6-8 month wait was inconvenient.

But money is obviously a big factor, the jump from 3.5 to 5.0 is significant but its a different beast. Either way I'm sure your parents will love the X5. They are super smooth/drive nice. Good interior. I'd also give the benz dealership a cross shop for the ML series while they are in that market (unless BMW is the main choice)

flipstah
07-11-2014, 11:20 AM
You can't really go wrong with an X5. It's a nice piece of equipment.

Comparable one is the Audi Q7 but not a fan of the face.

Xtrema
07-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Q7 even after the mid life update, looks very old.

New Q7 is only a year or so away, lighter, more fuel efficient and move to MLB chassis to be more car like.

Right now X5 probably the best in the segment and the only BMW besides the 7 series with respectable interior.

Stealth22
07-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
Yah I have no clue what your parents are like/driving style. My dad for years just bought fat boat suvs (durango, cherokee, escalade etc etc)
The smile on his face when he drove the 5.0 sold him instantly, just floored it. His only regret was not getting the M but for him a/c seats were a must have and they didn't have one. The 6-8 month wait was inconvenient.

But money is obviously a big factor, the jump from 3.5 to 5.0 is significant but its a different beast. Either way I'm sure your parents will love the X5. They are super smooth/drive nice. Good interior. I'd also give the benz dealership a cross shop for the ML series while they are in that market (unless BMW is the main choice)
Money is a bit of a factor, but even more than that, they don't have a need for the 5.0.

I did look at MB, but we want a 7-seater, and the GL was a bit more when I priced it out. Between the two brands, my personal choice would be BMW anyway.

Originally posted by flipstah
You can't really go wrong with an X5. It's a nice piece of equipment.

Yeah, we're looking at the Q7 as well. Probably going to come down to either the X5 or Q7.

If anyone has a dealer/salesman suggestion for Audi, I'd love to hear that as well.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by InRich
I have a 2011 X5 5.0 and LOVE IT! whata great car. BMWs are the best cars on the road IMO.

So why do you own a Corvette not an M3 then?

bjstare
07-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22

Money is a bit of a factor, but even more than that, they don't have a need for the 5.0.

No one has the NEED for the 5.0 in that SUV haha. It's just better.

colinxx235
07-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

So why do you own a Corvette not an M3 then?

colinxx235
07-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

No one has the NEED for the 5.0 in that SUV haha. It's just better.

+1

exactly what I was going to say... lol

No one NEEDS an S4 when the A4 is the same size/point A to B
Rage and all them could have been driving loaded C250's instead of 63's, who NEEDS 500hp ;) :D :burnout:

But seriously take the 5.0 or 5M out, you'll understand why so many people buy them :rofl:

BensonTT
07-11-2014, 02:11 PM
X5 steering is hard to steer ( so fukn stiff) SMG feels jerky as fuk... :thumbsdow

flipstah
07-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by BensonTT
X5 steering is hard to steer ( so fukn stiff) SMG feels jerky as fuk... :thumbsdow

But it has power steering...

colinxx235
07-11-2014, 02:51 PM

did you drive a model without the active steering option?? I normally dislike it on cars, but for something like the X5 I would say its a must have

ddduke
07-11-2014, 04:21 PM
BMWs are the best cars on the road IMO.

Probably the only time I'll ever agree with inrich but those are my feelings exactly. For a mass produced generic car they are hands down the most fun cars to drive.

Maintenance can get crazy though, HIDS kept burning out on my 545 and they were a $1200 repair. Had an issue with an abs module on my x5, to reprogram all the other modules that were linked to it and replace the faulty one it was $2500 through alpine, dealer wanted north of $5k.

20incheyes
07-11-2014, 05:04 PM

I had that issue on my X6. The 315 (Maybe 335) wide tires and aggressive suspension was to blame. X5 is much smoother ime

InRich
07-11-2014, 05:05 PM
^ burn? wtf u talking about?

a 4LT 427 Corvette is better in almost every way over the same year M3 vert.

jaylo
07-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Great vehicles (xLine x35i, 11.2L/100KM average), I had mine for 6 months with 9,000KM's on the odometer with 0 issues.

Good luck and getting past 2% off MSRP from Calgary BMW or BMW Gallery, even paying the full amount (cash deal).

I spent an extra $100 to fly to Edmonton and drove one home.

jaylo
07-11-2014, 05:27 PM
This is the price consideration I received from Edmonton BMW.

Tip 1: do not give your name at the time of you asking for quote (use your wife's, gf, etc) because they will plug your name into their system and your file will appear on both dealerships and you cannot haggle or cross shop from both dealers

My friend just got a Mineral White M sport x35i with 5% off MSRP on 2.9% financing from Bavaria BMW

Ever wonder why there are more 2014 x5's in Edmonton than Calgary?

JRSC00LUDE
07-11-2014, 06:23 PM
BMWs are the best cars on the road IMO.

a 4LT 427 Corvette is better in almost every way over the same year M3 vert.

So much confuse?!!!! Must find appropriate Jackie Chan meme. :nut:

J.M.
07-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

So much confuse?!!!! Must find appropriate Jackie Chan meme. :nut:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/crime-and-justice/6708851.bin

prodigydud
07-11-2014, 08:22 PM
^^ wrong Asian. He said Jackie Chan...:poosie:

Xtrema
07-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by jaylo
Ever wonder why there are more 2014 x5's in Edmonton than Calgary?

I would assume that Calgary runs out of them faster?

jaylo
07-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I would assume that Calgary runs out of them faster?

That is what they make you think, hence the tiny incentive you can get off MSRP.

Dealt with Leif from Calgary BMW and Taylor K from BMW Gallery prior to purchase, and both are quite a piece of work.

Called up Edmonton BMW and drove one home the next day.

colinxx235
07-12-2014, 11:37 AM
^

Leif is a fucking douche. Thinks his customers are idiots and can't do math

del-lude
07-12-2014, 01:06 PM

That is what they make you think, hence the tiny incentive you can get off MSRP.

Dealt with Leif from Calgary BMW and Taylor K from BMW Gallery prior to purchase, and both are quite a piece of work.

I went to see Ryan at Gallery and pretty much couldn't get the build I wanted for at least 3 months. He did the best he could but couldn't find anything for me and he couldn't do much on the pricing either. I think the X5's were selling quicker in Calgary and they really don't need to sell them like Edmonton. I too called Edmonton BMW a few days later cause I needed one quick and was able to get my build in a few weeks and the best part was that I was able to get about 5% off MSRP as well with no haggling at all. Definitely worth the drive. If buying in Calgary, definitely give Ryan a shout, great guy and really knows his shit.

topher91
07-12-2014, 05:40 PM
You likely won't get much of a deal from either BMW dealerships in Calgary or the one in Edmonton.

I've heard good stuff about Bavaria BMW in BC but to have to bring the car back to AB maybe a bit of headache. BUT the drive back would be SO MUCH FUN!

I have an 08 X5 and the wife and I love it. Its my wife's daily driver.

I'd go with the diesel if you still can, the torque is useful and highway driving mileage is crazy!

I personally like the look of the E70's over the current models but that new interior tho! :poosie:

Good luck! BMW's are great if you treat them well, they will treat you well too

Stealth22
07-13-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks for all the advice, guys! :thumbsup:

We'll be mulling it over for the next couple days, and hopefully come to a decision soon.

nj2Type-S
07-13-2014, 04:06 PM
to those who bought their bmw's outside of calgary, how do/would you deal with warranty work? drive it back to where it was purchased, or will the local calgary dealerships honor the warranty?

del-lude
07-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
to those who bought their bmw's outside of calgary, how do/would you deal with warranty work? drive it back to where it was purchased, or will the local calgary dealerships honor the warranty?

BMW Service and warranty is nation wide so doesn't matter which BMW you bring it to, they will honor the warranty.

jaylo
07-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by topher91
You likely won't get much of a deal from either BMW dealerships in Calgary or the one in Edmonton.

I've heard good stuff about Bavaria BMW in BC but to have to bring the car back to AB maybe a bit of headache. BUT the drive back would be SO MUCH FUN!

I have an 08 X5 and the wife and I love it. Its my wife's daily driver.

I'd go with the diesel if you still can, the torque is useful and highway driving mileage is crazy!

I personally like the look of the E70's over the current models but that new interior tho! :poosie:

Good luck! BMW's are great if you treat them well, they will treat you well too

We had good luck with Edmonton BMW honoring 5% off MSRP as well as Bavaria BMW in Edmonton as well.

del-lude also got 5% off MSRP right off the bat without haggling.

Edmonton BMW moves more X5's than any other dealer in Alberta, hence better selection and discount.

jaylo
07-13-2014, 08:18 PM
double post...

Strider
07-14-2014, 08:34 AM

Same experience with Leif when I bought my X3 about 2 years ago, when they were in high demand and wait-listing about 4 months.

He barely budged on price, less than 2% off MSRP if I remember correctly.

So I sent emails detailing exactly what I wanted to sales mgrs at all the dealers in Alberta and BC, and Bavaria came out on top.

I dealt with Levi Ozbey up there, he was really good to work with by phone and email.

Originally posted by topher91

Bavaria's in Edmonton, they were great to work with. All of the BC dealers I contacted were more expensive, especially Vancouver... they were selling above MSRP.