PDA

View Full Version : Classic Car Values

VWEvo
07-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Looking into picking up a classic American muscle car soon. Just need to find a reliable way of getting what the value should be. Any good websites or resources?

sputnik
07-11-2014, 11:16 AM
I don't think you will ever find something accurate enough to really use.

Muscle cars have a huge range depending on how original the car is or how well (or accurately) restored it is. If it is numbers matching car with OEM/NOS parts or a custom job covered in aftermarket parts it can also make a big difference depending on the model.

Just watch Barrett Jackson and you will see a 69 Cuda crossing the block on day at $30,000 with a nice paint job and interior and then the next day a similar looking 69 Cuda will go for $80,000-$100,000 because it has a pile of rare options and was restored true to original.

Your best bet is to figure out which generation/model of car you want first and research the hell out of it and talk to the guys on specific forums about values.

Do you have a specific model already in mind?

TL911
07-11-2014, 11:17 AM
it depends what your looking at...completely done = higher $$$$ if your looking at something cheap = a lot more work and money. and then you have the in between's where guys get frustrated and wanna get rid of their cars.

The thing to keep in mind is that parts are expensive...and most parts come from the states and a lot of people don't wanna ship to Canada. That is one problem I've been running into with my 74.

VWEvo
07-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys,

I'm looking at a professionally restored '68 Chevelle SS. Matching VINS, 95% of the car is original and in excellent condition. Just trying to figure out what its worth. Buy is asking high 30's which seemed a bit high to me. Had it appraised by Speciality Vehicile institute at $40k

sputnik
07-11-2014, 12:07 PM
High $30s is pretty much where you are going to be for a cleanly restored numbers matching SS396.

Is it a 4 speed car or an automatic?

Do you know which 396 it has in it? I suspect at the price it isn't an L78.

This is a pretty good resource you might want to look at.

http://chevellestuff.net/1968/

corsvette
07-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Much cheaper to buy a built/restored car than to do it yourself. The price for that Chevelle seems fair, not a super awesome great deal but market correct. With these types of cars auction prices go up with all the hype. Barret jackson brings stupid money for that reason.

All said I would buy the car if you like it. I doubt it's going down in value, chances are pretty good you'll turn a profit if kept in good shape when you decide to sell.

Also look at http://www.auctionsamerica.com/ They have past sale figures and a bit less hype at these sales than BJ's.

TL911
07-11-2014, 01:11 PM
that's a nice car!

SR54RNR
07-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
Looking into picking up a classic American muscle car soon. Just need to find a reliable way of getting what the value should be. Any good websites or resources?

Hagerty (http://www.hagerty.ca/valuationtools)