PDA

View Full Version : any hook ups for Oakley sunglasses on here?

03ozwhip
07-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Im looking for a specific pair of Oakleys, but I'd rather not spend $240 for them and apparently Oakley doesn't ship to Canada from the US where they're $100 cheaper.

Can anyone hook a brother up in this situation?

Seth1968
07-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Go to nearest dollar store.

You'll pay $5.00 instead of $240.00 for the same thing.

carson blocks
07-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Go to nearest dollar store.

You'll pay $5.00 instead of $240.00 for the same thing.

I like my cheap sunglasses as much as anyone for field work, losing in rental cars etc, but I also have a couple pairs of $$$ Oakleys, and they're not the same thing at all. I don't know they're worth what they ask up here and I only bought because I got a good deal on mine from an outlet mall in Vegas, but there is a marked difference in lens and build quality. I don't think it's $200+ worth of difference, but saying they're the same thing shows your ignorance.

Seth1968
07-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

I like my cheap sunglasses as much as anyone for field work, losing in rental cars etc, but I also have a couple pairs of $$$ Oakleys, and they're not the same thing at all. I don't know they're worth what they ask up here and I only bought because I got a good deal on mine from an outlet mall in Vegas, but there is a marked difference in lens and build quality. I don't think it's $200+ worth of difference, but saying they're the same thing shows your ignorance.

Do you even realize that you just contradicted yourself?

xnvy
07-11-2014, 12:58 PM
But he didn't. He just said they're not worth $240 but they're definitely worth more than $5. A sentiment I'd share.

03ozwhip
07-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Try on a pair of sunglasses, then try polarized, you'll know that they're worth spending more on them, I just don't think $240 worth.

So, anyone have a hookup then? Lol

carson blocks
07-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Do you even realize that you just contradicted yourself?

Read more carefully. kthx.

carson blocks
07-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
But he didn't. He just said they're not worth $240 but they're definitely worth more than $5. A sentiment I'd share.

Exactly, thank you.

colinxx235
07-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
Im looking for a specific pair of Oakleys, but I'd rather not spend $240 for them and apparently Oakley doesn't ship to Canada from the US where they're $100 cheaper.

Can anyone hook a brother up in this situation?

Do you have vision benefits through work? If so find an optom who is an oakley dealer. Get a pair through your benefits for free (or close to depending on coverage)

03ozwhip
07-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

Do you have vision benefits through work? If so find an optom who is an oakley dealer. Get a pair through your benefits for free (or close to depending on coverage)

Wtf! You can do that?

pf0sh0
07-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Yes you can. I just did. sometimes it depends on the place though

Graham_A_M
07-11-2014, 01:49 PM
^ I am SO doing that next time, frick if I would have known. I feel like bookmarking this thread just so I dont forget about that.

Originally posted by carson blocks

I used to feel the same way, but after going through a dozen or so cheap sunglasses, Im getting sick of going to a place that sells them, trying them on, wearing them for a couple weeks, then they break, and its just rinse & repeat all over again... :nut: Do that about 10 times, and you'll have spent enough to have bought yourself a DECENT pair of glasses that actually look good. Most $15 sunglasses, you'll look like shit in them.
I didn't know how stupid I looked with them the majority of the time anyway, until I bought a nice set of Oakley's, and haven't looked back since. :dunno: My Gascan's were only $150 though.....

colinxx235
07-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

Wtf! You can do that?

Yup... before I had lazer eye, I got them to put prescription ones in just incase contacts were driving me nuts (common when I was out the night before a round)

But then after surgery when my 2 year vision amount reset back up to $300 I went and got a pair of polarized ones ordered in. Didn't pay a cent :)

My optom had TONS of oakleys to choose from as well

DENZILDON
07-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^
I used to feel the same way, but after going through a dozen or so cheap sunglasses, Im getting sick of going to a place that sells them, trying them on, wearing them for a couple weeks, then they break, and its just rinse & repeat all over again... :nut:
I didn't know how stupid I looked with them the majority of the time anyway, until I bought a nice set of Oakley's, and haven't looked back since. :dunno: My Gascan's were only $150 though.....

This!! I had a pair that I accidentally sat on while in Vegas drunk. My oakleys just crumbled but was a snap to put it back like nothing happened.

US outlets are still the cheapest way to get them. Unless as the others had advised, put it in your insurance

CompletelyNumb
07-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

I now regret the last 10 years of my life that I did not use one cent of my vision benefits. :banghead:

blairtruck
07-11-2014, 03:03 PM
i just got lasik done a few months ago. they said go to sunglass hut tell them you just got lasik and get %30 off.

went to one in west edmonton mall. she didn't ask for a receipt or my name. $220 polarized oakley jupiter squares for $160. i also bought a $100 gift card on kijiji for $75 so that was an additional $25 off.

they also had a deal going on for 40% off your 2nd pair if you know someone else to split the savings with.

KISS_ME
07-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0
Yes you can. I just did. sometimes it depends on the place though

Not all insurance covers sunglasses, if any at all to my knowledge. The way some people get it written off is to have the dealer write you a receipt for prescription glasses.

Hit up a eyeglass place in Chinatown, i'm sure they can read between the lines and understand what you want but be prepared to pay full MSRP if not more.

Edit: currently at ~20 pairs of oaks and few pairs of Raybans. :rolleyes:

Graham_A_M
07-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON

This!! I had a pair that I accidentally sat on while in Vegas drunk. My oakleys just crumbled but was a snap to put it back like nothing happened.

Yeah, mine are indestructable, they really are. Unlike the cheap ones that start to fall apart after a week or two under minimal light use. Ive had mine for over a year, Im not nice to them at all, and........ nothing has yet to come apart or loosen or break. :love:

Bit of random Trivia for you guys, Oakley's originated down in California. The name "Oakley" comes from the company founders dog, whose name was Oakley. One day the dog ruined a pair of his sunglasses while he was away, so the owner opted to make stylish glasses that were indestructible pretty much. Now.... thats how Oakley sunglasses came to being, now its one of the most well known Sunglass manufacturer in the world today.

:thumbsup:

pf0sh0
07-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by KISS_ME

Not all insurance covers sunglasses, if any at all to my knowledge. The way some people get it written off is to have the dealer write you a receipt for prescription glasses.

this is the key haha

chathamf
07-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Good shades is the way to go. I had four pairs of Oakleys dating back six years or more. Lost of pair of Gascans but still have my crankcases, holbrook, and gives squares (which I hate btw). They are impossible to break and the lens quality is unreal. People think cheap shades called polarized are same shit.. Until they try mine on and look at water or major glare and they can really tell the difference.

carson blocks
07-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I used to feel the same way, but after going through a dozen or so cheap sunglasses, Im getting sick of going to a place that sells them, trying them on, wearing them for a couple weeks, then they break, and its just rinse & repeat all over again... :nut: Do that about 10 times, and you'll have spent enough to have bought yourself a DECENT pair of glasses that actually look good. Most $15 sunglasses, you'll look like shit in them.

I'm totally on the same page now that I have some Oakleys. I like them and see the value in them over gas station sunglasses, but I still don't think they're worth the Canadian MSRPs. I've got a pair of Polarized wiretaps and regular Gas Cans, bought in the states for ~$200 for both which I feel was close to worthwhile, but I'd have trouble justifying them at the Canadian MSRP of ~$400+ for both. Nowadays I only use the cheap ones for working in the field where they'll get coated in abrasive mud and dust, going to the wrecking yard, or other scenarios where sunglasses have a decent chance of getting wrecked.

Mitsu3000gt
07-12-2014, 11:05 AM
$5 shades also do not protect your eyes as well as a good pair, even though they may claim 100% UVA/UVB or whatever. Also good luck finding quality polarized shades for cheap. I used to buy Oakleys, now im a fan of Ray Ban.

88CRX
07-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Salt city optics will ship to Canada.

blairtruck
07-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Salt city optics will ship to Canada.

$190 US for what was at local sun glass hut for $220 canadian.

Graham_A_M
07-12-2014, 05:59 PM
IDK, I was very tempted to buy my Oakley's on ebay, as their $90 on there.... but after the exchange rate, cost of shipping, taxes and all that other shit, it would have been not even $20 cheaper at the end of the day, plus the time of waiting for them to get here. So I just said screw it and bought them in store, and had them the same day obviously..... so thats something to consider.

jsn
07-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by KISS_ME

Hit up a eyeglass place in Chinatown, i'm sure they can read between the lines and understand what you want but be prepared to pay full MSRP if not more.

Edit: currently at ~20 pairs of oaks and few pairs of Raybans. :rolleyes:

I've had quite the opposite experience actually. I usually get 10% off which isn't amazing, but considering you're getting them for free through benefits, it's pretty good. I always go through the same place. Visions on center street. The place up center street in the mall charged more than retail so I stopped going there.

CaptainReboot
07-13-2014, 09:38 AM
I've gotten some sunglasses through an optometrist as well, just gets written as contacts/prescription glasses. Basically I can order anything that comes from Luxottica, who makes Ray-Ban, Oakley, and a bunch of other brands.

I even got an Oakley hockey visor.

03ozwhip
07-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Got some!

Lex350
07-14-2014, 11:13 AM
The longevity of my glasses it directly proportional to the cost of the glasses.

i.e.
expensive..... I sit on them within 2 weeks
cheap....I still have a pair from high school

Tarrantula
07-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
$5 shades also do not protect your eyes as well as a good pair, even though they may claim 100% UVA/UVB or whatever. Also good luck finding quality polarized shades for cheap. I used to buy Oakleys, now im a fan of Ray Ban.

I buy polarized sunnies from Shoppers. 23$ and The pair I currently have Ive had for 2 years..

Sure Oakley has good quality, but if you suck at taking care of them they are just as breakable as any other pair.

Benny
07-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
The longevity of my glasses it directly proportional to the cost of the glasses.

i.e.
expensive..... I sit on them within 2 weeks
cheap....I still have a pair from high school

Lots of people say that, but I find I'm the complete opposite. My subconscious jewishness won't let me treat an expensive personal item like shit.

Lex350
07-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Benny

Lots of people say that, but I find I'm the complete opposite. My subconscious jewishness won't let me treat an expensive personal item like shit.

I try....and I bought a nice pair in Vegas that lasted me 3 years before I sat on them but for the most part it just doesn't work out. That said, I never had to wear glasses before and now that I'm an old f&ck with bad eyes for reading I did buy a pair of reading glasses worth $500 that I have had for 7 years. Maybe it is time again to try a nice pair of sunglasses.

HiSpec
07-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Instead of Oakley, may I suggest Maui Jim?

Also, regarding the vision coverage... it depends on your provider. I know Alberta Blue Cross includes prescription sunglasses as part of the vision benefit. I have also noticed it depends on how the retail states the sunglasses on the invoice.

Some retail will list the non-RX sunglasses as Plano Sunglasses instead of just 'sunglasses' on the invoice. This is because some OD does recognize non-RX sunglasses is still a medical need for the eyes. But this is a grey area of debate between insurance provider and the Optometrist in Optometry industry.

The_Rural_Juror
07-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Who makes the clearest polarized lenses? Oakley, MJ, Revo, RayBan? Tough to find a good answer.

03ozwhip
07-14-2014, 11:20 PM
I love my new Oaks, what a huge difference from my other non polarized Oaks, I wish I knew how polarized were a long time ago.

boarderfatty
07-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Who makes the clearest polarized lenses? Oakley, MJ, Revo, RayBan? Tough to find a good answer.

As far as I am concerned anything of Luxottica's brands will have similar lense characteristics. I personally think Maui Jim has the best polarization, but find that there are only a few situations where I prefer this polarization, mainly in water or snowy settings. Otherwise while driving etc I prefer a standard lense.

here is a link to Luxottica brands

http://www.luxottica.com/en/eyewear-brands

88CRX
07-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Polarized prescription Ray Bans were half the cost of non-polarized prescription Oakleys.

Both frames are plastic and nearly identical shape. Such a scam Luxotica runs :rofl:

HiSpec
07-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

As far as I am concerned anything of Luxottica's brands will have similar lense characteristics. I personally think Maui Jim has the best polarization, but find that there are only a few situations where I prefer this polarization, mainly in water or snowy settings. Otherwise while driving etc I prefer a standard lense.

here is a link to Luxottica brands

http://www.luxottica.com/en/eyewear-brands

Lux doesn't make lenses.

Each individual brands under Lux they make and design their own lenses. Lux doesn't have say in any of the optics for all the brands under them. Think about it... it doesn't make sense for Tiffany & Co. to let Lux to touch any of their designs.

Being a high myopia, I find MJ's optics are sharper on the edge of the lenses. In the center, both MJ and Oakley are similar to each other.

However, this comparison is kinda irrelevant as I wear contacts with my Oakley (they have an extremely limited range for their RX lenses) and my MJ is RX'd.