PDA

View Full Version : 4.3L S10, decent tow vehicle?

Redlyne_mr2
03-03-2004, 12:42 AM
Im looking to get a truck to tow a vehicle on a single or possibly dual axle trailer. I dont want to spend alot of cash maybe $4000 -5000 or so on the truck so Ive been looking at late 80s early 90s s10s with the 4.3l v6. How are they on gas, they seem pretty straightforward in terms of mechanics will they easily tow a 2600-3000lb car on a trailer? thanks

Ben
03-03-2004, 01:34 AM
I had an 89 S10 4.3, with a hiddin hitch behind the licence plate on the custom roll pan. I had 2 57" Hitachi Big Screen TV's in boxes in the back of it, and my Dads Motorcycle on a bike trailer, and I went accross city on that and it had lots of power.

Another time my Car had broke down and my dad brought the TDI Golf and a Tow Rope and we towed my car home with that (FWD, 90hp/160lbft of torque) and it did just fine.

I think you'll be ok!

mrbojangles
03-03-2004, 09:25 AM
I think the weight might be an issue. Most folks always look at the power thing first. Will the towing truck have enough power? The S-10 will most likely have enough power, but the most important thing is "does the tow vehicle have a stable enough wheelbase and the ability to stop without being pushed by the load?" What's the S-10 weigh in at? It sounds like you will be just about the same weight or over (both car hauler and car) the weight of the S-10. Not a good combination. Also with the weight being fairly close between the tow and hauler, you'd have to make sure you balanced the weight of the car very carefully on the car hauler or you will have problems. A weight distributing hitch would be wise.

The S-10 is a small truck to tow a car hauler plus a car on it. Will the car hauler have brakes? You will need them. 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons have a long wheel base to distirbute the weight of the load on the front axle as well as the rear axle.

Is it for long trip hauling or just around town? If it's only around town, then just take it easy and leave tons of room in front of you for braking. If you have to panic brake, you'll quickly learn the meaning of "the load pushing".

bol
03-03-2004, 11:03 AM
<shameless plug>
I think my '95 V8 S10 would fit the bill nicely!
</shameless plug>

CalgarySS
03-03-2004, 06:05 PM
I used my SS to tow my 4200 lb trailer. I used stabilizer bars and electric brakes. I drove 400 Kms and got 19mpg.

3000lb trailer + a 3000-4000lb car=6000-7000, That is too much for the truck.

They are rated for a max of 5000lbs if it has the 4l60e and 2wd.

Pete92SL
03-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Bol, it's not just the engine, suspension and frame strength are very important. An older Ford “big 6” could pull the same as 351, but it would not last as long. I do agree that the V8 trucks do very well in towing though. Diesel is the best in my opinion.

The s10 simply won't be good enough for it. you need a half ton.

The average dual axle trailer weighs anywhere from 1000-2000 pounds or more (the cheaper it is, the more it weighs). Say you want to pull a car that weighs 1500 pounds.

So say your trailer weighs in at 1200 pounds. That is a total of 2700 pounds on your ass. You'd need a class 3 hitch. That truck is too small to carry that around. the trailer will be swinging around everywhere.

Now if you are driving down deer foot with this set up as mentioned above. If a big pick up truck or older crown vic with sirens on top gets behind you and pulls you over; you are screwed. D.O.T. (Department of Transportation) fines are large.

For that price you can find older half to one ton trucks. Sure they are bigger, but they are bigger for a reason.

The only reason I tow a 1900 pound trailer with any small car on my half ton is because it is set up for it. 9 inch with bigger gears, stabilizer / traction bars and it is lowered 10 inches. That truck doesn't sway at all with that trailer on it.

If I am using a bigger trailer or the smaller one is towing something really heavy, the three ton flat deck comes out. It's simple really.

Trust me on this. I do this for a living, I own a transportation company.

If you want to do some tests without spending money, check out www.uhaul.com. They have a system where you input the vehicle towing with the vehicle being towed and the non-commercial hitch type and they will tell you if it can be done! You might want to consider a car dolly depending on the car.

The truck can do it, but it isn't safe. If it were me, I'd rather see a truck with a larger tow capacity do the job. It is safer and that is the name of the game.

Pete

Redlyne_mr2
03-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Cool thanks guys Bol id love to have your truck it would be perfect for what I need, problem is Im stuck in Ontario for a while unless youre interested in a trade for a n/a 944 hehe. How about the v6 dakotas? Those are a larger truck with a bit more hp

Pete92SL
03-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Cool thanks guys Bol id love to have your truck it would be perfect for what I need, problem is Im stuck in Ontario for a while unless youre interested in a trade for a n/a 944 hehe. How about the v6 dakotas? Those are a larger truck with a bit more hp

the older v6s were the worst trucks ever made! stay away!! That might be a biased opinion.

To clear something up. I don't know if DOT charges non-comercial vehicles and I don't haul cars, I haul other materials, mostly construction.

Thanks for the PMs to whoever it was that sent them to me.

Pete

Weapon_R
03-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Have you considered a late 80s or early 90s GMC C1500? They are packed with power, and would fit the bill easily. It's cheap, simple to work on, and it's got a LOT of power. The only downside is the mileage, but even with that, you should be okay.

Redlyne_mr2
03-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Have you considered a late 80s or early 90s GMC C1500? They are packed with power, and would fit the bill easily. It's cheap, simple to work on, and it's got a LOT of power. The only downside is the mileage, but even with that, you should be okay.
Yah thats a really good idea, I want an s10 because its nice and small, ive never been into larger vehicles however I think I will have to go fullsize...so the GMCs are the best out there fort that year? Theyre just as cheap if not cheaper than the s10s

sr20det
03-03-2004, 10:41 PM
get a old heavy half gmc/chevy pu ( 1972 - 1987 ) ( 6 lug hubs ) or if u look for one, you can find a decent 3/4 454 tank...that would fit your bill...you can find one guarenteed for 500bucks and in decent condition. but look for a 4x4 with a np205 part time t-case, the front suspension on them 2wc 1500's is shit..

Weapon_R
03-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Yah thats a really good idea, I want an s10 because its nice and small, ive never been into larger vehicles however I think I will have to go fullsize...so the GMCs are the best out there fort that year? Theyre just as cheap if not cheaper than the s10s

That's why I really like them. Well priced and very reliable. My uncle has one, he's racked over 300k on his, and it never misses a beat. Very simple machines, a LOT of room in the engine bay to work, and just plain strong. They have the 5.7L v8 engine, and it's more than capable of doing some dirty work.

Pete92SL
03-04-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

That's why I really like them. Well priced and very reliable. My uncle has one, he's racked over 300k on his, and it never misses a beat. Very simple machines, a LOT of room in the engine bay to work, and just plain strong. They have the 5.7L v8 engine, and it's more than capable of doing some dirty work.

exactly. My 95 Ford 351 has over 350K on it. Seems like all of those v8s are solid.

Pete

T5_X
03-04-2004, 08:06 AM
A 4.3L on an 88+ GM 1/2 ton will even fit the bill fine. As was aforementioned, power is just a 1 small thing of many to consider when towing. Look for a truck that came stock with a towing package or has been upgraded specifically to do so. They'll usually have a rear end for towing, possibly bigger brakes, heavy duty suspension and tranny cooler.

What weight are you looking to tow?

Redlyne_mr2
03-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by T5_X
A 4.3L on an 88+ GM 1/2 ton will even fit the bill fine. As was aforementioned, power is just a 1 small thing of many to consider when towing. Look for a truck that came stock with a towing package or has been upgraded specifically to do so. They'll usually have a rear end for towing, possibly bigger brakes, heavy duty suspension and tranny cooler.

What weight are you looking to tow?
Well Id be towing a car trailer which is what 2000lbs plus anyone of mine or my gfs cars so add another 2200-3300lbs

5.9 R/T
03-05-2004, 12:41 AM
You could do it with an S10 but you would be pushing it's limits. Of course if this is just a once in a while thing why spend the extra money on a full size when the s10 will do the heavy hauling when you really need it. The only consideration I would look into would be the brakes which has already been mentioned.

Mudman
04-04-2004, 09:42 PM
i thnk you will have no problem towing with an s10 with a 4.3....i have a 85 s10 with a 2.8L, 3 inch lift, and 31x10.5 tires and i huled a parts truck from golden to here with my s10

jer82
04-13-2004, 12:00 PM
I would go with a late 80's chevy half ton as mentioned above or a K5 blazer... I have an 88 blazer, I went from NE Calgary to Nelson BC on a $70 tank of gas so its not really that bad. An option that you have to lower the cost of fuel is to look for one that is converted to propane. This was a fairly popular conversion and it will save you a little money. It does however lower the amount of power that then engine has.

hope this helps

Jeremy