PDA

View Full Version : Problem with ASUS HD7770 - GPU gurus are you out there?

thetransporter
07-11-2014, 11:49 PM
I have two ASUS HD7770 installed in my pc with a 1000w PSU.

Is there any driver from AMD you guys suggest? (or from GURU3d) I keep getting blue screens (amdk something.sys in the BSOD that I notice) with the Asus drivers (both loaded from the DVD and downloaded from the ASUS website)

The AMD drivers fail to detect my GPU cards (Cross fire linked or unlinked)

-I made sure the cards are in the PCIe 3.0 slots.
Using an ASUS ROG Rampage Ext Motherboard not overclocked - I tried different versions of BIOS

Tried the G3d driver cleaner.. (cleans well from what I can see)

I do notice that my PC fails to hibernate - wake up properly ever since I installed these cards

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance;

Seth1968
07-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Remove one and see if you still get the BSOD.

Did you uninstall the current driver before installing the other one?

What version of Windows, and is 32 bit or 64 bit?

Seth1968
07-12-2014, 07:23 AM
Also Transporter, does that board have onboard graphics? If so, another test would be to remove both cards, use onboard, and see if you still get the BSOD.

Another slight possibility is an infection: http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?Name=Virus%3AX97M%2FAmdk.A&ThreatID=-2147380562

revelations
07-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by thetransporter
I have two ASUS HD7770 installed in my pc with a 1000w PSU.

Is there any driver from AMD you guys suggest? (or from GURU3d) I keep getting blue screens (amdk something.sys in the BSOD that I notice) with the Asus drivers (both loaded from the DVD and downloaded from the ASUS website)

The AMD drivers fail to detect my GPU cards (Cross fire linked or unlinked)

-I made sure the cards are in the PCIe 3.0 slots.
Using an ASUS ROG Rampage Ext Motherboard not overclocked - I tried different versions of BIOS

Tried the G3d driver cleaner.. (cleans well from what I can see)

I do notice that my PC fails to hibernate - wake up properly ever since I installed these cards

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance;

Dumb questions,

- does the board support xfire?
- have you searched OLDER drivers ? I had an issues once with new drivers causing all kinds of problems, going back a version fixed all.
- does the system have issues with ONE card installed in EITHER slot?
- you could also examine the BSOD in detail to isolate the problem further.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Seth1968
07-12-2014, 10:16 AM
If none of these suggestions narrow down the problem, then you might want to post on the Asus forum.

http://vip.asus.com/FORUM/

thetransporter
07-12-2014, 03:20 PM
With 1 card I still get the BSOD.

Current Asus driver just is sluggish in addition to the random BSOD

It supports crossfire
Using Windows 7 64 bit activated.

I have tried OLDER drivers from ASUS same thing,

But I would like to try AMD older drivers but I cant get AMD to detect my cards as their chipset /product.

Seth1968 - I did the cc cleaner, and the 3dguru GPU cleaner.

not dumb questions, sorry if my questions seemed so..

Originally posted by revelations

Dumb questions,

- does the board support xfire?
- have you searched OLDER drivers ? I had an issues once with new drivers causing all kinds of problems, going back a version fixed all.
- does the system have issues with ONE card installed in EITHER slot?
- you could also examine the BSOD in detail to isolate the problem further.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

revelations
07-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
With 1 card I still get the BSOD.

You have numerous possible failure modes, you need to confirm/isolate each

card a is good, slot a bad
or
card a is good, slot b bad
or
card a is bad

card b is good, slot a bad
or
card b is good, slot b bad
or
card b is bad.

Post the actual BSOD code from the tool as well .... thats the next step after all the above checks out.

I've dealt with enough AMD issues having setup 3 bitcoin mining rigs last year.... its really stupid sometimes.

Also, could be a PSU issue as well - i assume everything is hooked up correctly to the cards?

topher91
07-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by revelations

You have numerous possible failure modes, you need to confirm/isolate each

card a is good, slot a bad
or
card a is good, slot b bad
or
card a is bad

card b is good, slot a bad
or
card b is good, slot b bad
or
card b is bad.

Post the actual BSOD code from the tool as well .... thats the next step after all the above checks out.

I've dealt with enough AMD issues having setup 3 bitcoin mining rigs last year.... its really stupid sometimes.

Also, could be a PSU issue as well - i assume everything is hooked up correctly to the cards?

Yes this ^^^

This is where I'd start by checking cards/slots to see if they are good.

I had a similar issue with RAM, ended up just being a bad stick in the end but sure was a headache to figure out.

PSU issues usually just freezes and resets but this could be a cause as well, either underpowered, over heating or over volted cards.

clem24
07-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Have you tried installing a different vid card just to rule out bad RAM or mobo..?

thetransporter
07-18-2014, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Have you tried installing a different vid card just to rule out bad RAM or mobo..?

fine with old video card....

I think I am going to give up on all new asus products......

I spent more time now trying to get my asus HW to stay stable as a standard PC.

I invested heavily in heavy duty power supplies (as much as $300) so I would not have any blue screens as a result of power issues.

What is my goal? Just a fast PC like my old rig before the flood -( that PC still works perfectly) but I leave that at work.... but that's all 2007 HW

Seth1968
07-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Asus is excellent quality. Just because you had this experience, does not mean you should rule out Asus in one fell swoop.

I should have asked this before, but why are you using 2 video cards, and are you a gamer?

If you're not a gamer, then the hardware specs are just about meaningless. That is, even the lowest spec computer is far more powerful than what 99% of end users need.

thetransporter
07-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Asus is excellent quality. Just because you had this experience, does not mean you should rule out Asus in one fell swoop.

I should have asked this before, but why are you using 2 video cards, and are you a gamer?

If you're not a gamer, then the hardware specs are just about meaningless. That is, even the lowest spec computer is far more powerful than what 99% of end users need.

im not a gamer, but i have 3 monitors to help with work, which is great.

I like a fast PC because I like to do load testing as a hobby, and someone here mentioned bit-mining which I want to learn how to do that. but my CPU came out 3 years ago so I am not planning to upgrade,

Also with virtual machines, a lot of legacy software and hardware I like to use for projects only works with XP/2000

As for ASUS:
3 Motherboard failures (not over clocked) these were all high end boards -

2 Asus New Routers (un modified/etc) - one randomly stopped powering up-
other one stopped working for gigabit at all ports -
Getting anything RMA'ed has been always endless....

But at the end of the day i will still buy ASUS.......
At memex , from time to time, I ask the CSR; has Asus quality decreased in the last few years? they have all said yes to a degree.

I just miss the day where I can buy a brand new ASUS board , unplug it, still saves my BIOS, wakes up after hibernate (yes i understand it also depends on the hardware)