PDA

View Full Version : Toyota and BMW to share a platform.

Gripenfelter
07-12-2014, 12:39 AM
http://max4.leftlanenews.com/photos/content/december2013/thumbnails5.0/ME-toyota-ft1-1_653.jpg

The upcoming sports car platform co-developed by BMW and Toyota will allegedly both the next-generation Z4 and a new Supra.

Previous reports have denied rumors that Toyota would use the platform to underpin a new Supra, arguing that Toyota would instead release an entirely new entry-level model to slot below the Toyota 86/Scion FR-S -- an offering considered unworthy of the Supra name.

Unnamed sources now tell Nikkei the Japanese automaker will, in fact, take advantage of the partnership to revive its flagship sports car nameplate that was retired entering the 21st century. Toyota earlier this year renewed its trademark for the Supra name, which had expired in 2006, suggesting the resurrection may be under serious consideration.

The rumors have agreed that the separate brands will outfit the platform with different body designs. Additional details remain unclear, though lightweight construction and a BMW engine have been named as likely features.

The latest report claims the automakers are aiming to introduce the models as early as 2017.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/next-gen-bmw-z4-toyota-supra-revival-to-share-platform-report-claims.html#ixzz37EYqmoeU

tehwegz
07-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Shared with Z4...strange.

Those are pretty small. Not sure about their weight.

Confidence inspiring platform for it though.

Much intrigue
Very excite
Such car

killramos
07-25-2014, 07:21 AM
I have my doubts about the BMW engine personally unless it gets an M division engine, which it won't.

thetransporter
08-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Now the question is; will the owners of this vehicle use their turn blinkers?

AlanPortman
08-27-2014, 12:38 AM
Who knows, maybe this will turn out well. @Thetransporter, what's that about the blinker?

Xtrema
08-27-2014, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by AlanPortman
Who knows, maybe this will turn out well. @Thetransporter, what's that about the blinker?

The idea of using it is foreign to BMW owners. :rofl:

Interesting rumor. Wonder why they would share that with Z4. Unless they are positioning Supra as a $60-$90K sports car.

dirtsniffer
08-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by killramos
I have my doubts about the BMW engine personally unless it gets an M division engine, which it won't.

cause BMW has never put a M engine in a z car before...

Tik-Tok
08-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Fuck this car.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Interesting rumor. Wonder why they would share that with Z4. Unless they are positioning Supra as a $60-$90K sports car.

Would make sense, a '95 Turbo Supra was $50g ($70g in todays dollars)

Mibz
08-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Fuck this car.

jwslam
08-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by thetransporter
Now the question is; will the owners of this vehicle use their turn blinkers?
Depends on who they're loyal to. They may never use them, or they may leave them on for driving 10km down a straight road.

killramos
08-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

cause BMW has never put a M engine in a z car before...

The concern is sharing the engine with Toyota. I'm sure they will put an m
Motor of some kind in their version of the car.

Unfortunately this is a sign of the times, the company is become much much more profit driven and less about fantastic cars. In some cases.

Projek01
08-27-2014, 10:41 AM
I personally do not think Toyota would spend money putting a M engine in a Supra. If anything, they would want the better engine to be in the Lexus RC-F. It would make sense to throw the N55HP engine that is already in the current Z4. No point building another engine production line when they can share it with all the other N55 engines. Hopefully they tweak it a little for maybe 350-400hp. Anything over 400hp and it would be competing with the RC-F and M cars.

killramos
08-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Projek01
I personally do not think Toyota would spend money putting a M engine in a Supra. If anything, they would want the better engine to be in the Lexus RC-F. It would make sense to throw the N55HP engine that is already in the current Z4. No point building another engine production line when they can share it with all the other N55 engines. Hopefully they tweak it a little for maybe 350-400hp. Anything over 400hp and it would be competing with the RC-F and M cars.

There is a lot of debate about the N55 and it's future. It might be on it's way out and of they are building an all new platform they might stick in a new engine.

They will also want to have some differentiation between this and the upcoming M2 which is rumoured to have a beefed N55.

What kind of timeframe are we looking at here? That might have our answer.

Edit: I see as soon as 2017 so very good chance of seein N55 successor in there

Mibz
08-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Having an I6TT in there should certainly help sales if they badge it a Supra. The car will sell based on heritage, and the more comparisons you can make to the MK4, good or bad, the better.