PDA

View Full Version : Bowfort Road intersection proposal

speedog
07-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Bowfort Road intersection proposal - yet another one here (http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis/DirectDownload.aspx?target=http%3a%2f%2fwww.calgary.ca%2fTransportation%2fTP%2fDocuments%2fProjects%2fCompleted-Planning-Projects%2fTCH-Bowfort%2fbowfort_tch_recommended_plan_2014.pdf&noredirect=1&sf=1).

Apparently, the CoC (link (http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Pages/Projects/Current-Planning-Projects/Bowfort-Road---Trans-Canada-Highway.aspx)) is re-examining the Bowfort Road/TransCanada intersection - too bad something just wouldn't get built.

flipstah
07-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Is that the intersection w/ PetroCan, McDick's, etc. before heading to the ski villages?

If so, BIG necessity.

speedog
07-14-2014, 10:32 AM
The CoC has been having community/stakeholder meetings since at least 2007 and probably earlier than that - it's kind of getting drawn out a bit too much.

CapnCrunch
07-14-2014, 11:19 AM
That's definitely an annoying intersection. One or two semi-trucks at that stop light completely destroy the traffic flow.

ExtraSlow
07-14-2014, 11:38 AM
That is the last major bottleneck on 16th west of Foothills Hospital.
Would be awesome to get it smoothed out somehow.

Possibly that would be less of a necessity if/when stoney trails gets extended south up the hill to Highway 8/Glenmore.

speedog
07-14-2014, 12:03 PM
That 6 or so block section in Montgomery is still a bottle neck, no?

nickyh
07-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Yes, finally.

I wash my car down there and some weekends it's just a nightmare trying to get back onto Sarcee.

rage2
07-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Why bother? The perfectly good Bow River Pathway is just slightly north of that intersection. The City should be encouraging truckers to unload their trucks into backpacks, and Bike past the area to reduce traffic. Sprawl is unsustainable.

lasimmon
07-14-2014, 01:34 PM
What's the issue with this area exactly?

All my times driving to Canmore, Banff, ski hills etc. I have never had any issues there...

rage2
07-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Bowness. Try it during a weekday, or winter. It's a gong show there.

CapnCrunch
07-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
What's the issue with this area exactly?

All my times driving to Canmore, Banff, ski hills etc. I have never had any issues there...

It's a huge bottleneck during rush hour. Easily 2-3+ light wait times.

kenny
07-14-2014, 01:59 PM
I wonder if they would keep the speed camera going without an actual intersection. That camera pulls in so much revenue for the City, I wonder if that is taken into account for the cost of this interchange.

speedog
07-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Bowness. Try it during a weekday, or winter. It's a gong show there.
Bowness - home of many playground zones but the Transcanada is truly on the outskirts of Bowness. Montgomery is the shit show.

masoncgy
07-14-2014, 03:09 PM
Isn't that the intersection that a group of nuns was killed at... or something like that? Seems familiar.

Royle9
07-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Isn't that the intersection that a group of nuns was killed at... or something like that? Seems familiar.

Yes sir, quite a few years ago now but still remember how devastating that wreckage was. A semi or something hit them from behind IIRC?

firebane
07-14-2014, 04:41 PM
This would jack squat. I like the thought and premise but as others have already mentioned within this thread.. the second you pass by that intersection going East bound you are immediately slowed to 50km/h while your going through Montgomery/Bowness then back up to 80? Near Foothills hospital.

rx7_turbo2
07-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by kenny
That camera pulls in so much revenue for the City, I wonder if that is taken into account for the cost of this interchange.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't taken into consideration.

Would lowering the speed limit in Bowness to 30kph help?

speedog
07-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I'd be shocked if it wasn't taken into consideration.

Would lowering the speed limit in Bowness to 30kph help?

On what road? The TransCanada skirts the north sde of Bowness from COP to the Bow River and goes through Montgomery after that.

rx7_turbo2
07-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by speedog

On what road? The TransCanada skirts the north sde of Bowness from COP to the Bow River and goes through Montgomery after that.

It was a joke sheesh.;)

speedog
07-14-2014, 07:43 PM

It was a joke sheesh.;)
I'm old. Give me a break. :)

rx7_turbo2
07-14-2014, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by speedog

I'm old. Give me a break. :)

I'll admit it wasn't a very funny joke ;)

speedog
07-14-2014, 08:22 PM
I'll admit it wasn't a very funny joke ;)
I still missed it.

Kritafo
07-14-2014, 09:41 PM
my kid went to Bowness High I had to use that intersection daily..it's a freaking nightmare in the morning 3 light wait most mornings Home Road is another nightmare

Anomaly
07-15-2014, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by kenny
I wonder if they would keep the speed camera going without an actual intersection. That camera pulls in so much revenue for the City, I wonder if that is taken into account for the cost of this interchange.

It's okay...they'll still have the police running radar at the stoney trail exit to make up for the lost r̶e̶v̶e̶n̶u̶e̶ safety.

ExtraSlow
07-15-2014, 06:50 AM
I know kenny was tounge-in-cheek, but there are dozens of alternate locations to deploy that speed camera, no matter what the objective.

CapnCrunch
07-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by firebane
This would jack squat. I like the thought and premise but as others have already mentioned within this thread.. the second you pass by that intersection going East bound you are immediately slowed to 50km/h while your going through Montgomery/Bowness then back up to 80? Near Foothills hospital.

That spot is only an issue in the morning rush. After work, traffic flows surprisingly well through there, but gets bottlenecked badly at COP.

cloud7
07-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Good that they came up with a new plan because the old one, by a different consultant, was flawed and was never gonna work even with the level of development at COP planned back then, nevermind today. The thing I like with the new plan is that it gives more queuing distance between the signalized intersection on the intersection and the intersections/roundabout to the north and south of the TCH. Hopefully they did it right this time.