PDA

View Full Version : Cloud backup recommendation?

FixedGear
07-14-2014, 10:30 AM
I keep NAS backups but would like an independent cloud method too. Can anyone recommend a good and cheap cloud backup solution? A friend suggested backblaze (http://www.backblaze.com) which is $5/month - anyone tried that?

I've been a bit concerned that a backup software will reduce speed and performance of my computer - what do you guys think?

schocker
07-14-2014, 10:47 AM
I have looked into this before, and I believe I had found the backblaze was one of the better ones. I will probably give it a whirl soon to protect data unless I was to pay for a larger dropbox account. For the computer performance, I would say it wouldn't take up anymore resources than dropbox so you would be fine, obviously when uploading it will eat up some bandwidth though.

Now that I look into it, maybe google drive is worth trying 25gb free, $2 for 100gb and I believe if you download the software you can sync files across like dropbox. I don't think you can do an autobackup though like with backblaze

speedog
07-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Have been using a combination of Dropbox and a macro to perform remote off-site back-ups of our shop's computer for about 6 years now - can't say the whole process has ever bogged anything down and it is nice having that back-up in several off-site places.

locust
07-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Look up crash plan.

I've back up a substantial amount of data over 2 tb worth. Download speed is pretty quick but it limits on how many files you can download at one time.

You can also request them to send you a copy of the drive of everything you've backed up as well.

sabad66
07-14-2014, 01:01 PM
I use carbonite on my laptop. Set it up once and never have to worry about remembering to back up. Doesn't seem to be a resource hog either (running on a Surface Pro 1, i5, 4GB ram)

EK69
07-14-2014, 01:18 PM
depends how much data you are looking to back up?
google drive and microsoft one drive are free solutions along with dropbox and i think box.com has some free offering too

if the amount of data u wanna back up fits in the free size category, use all and have backups in multiple locations

FixedGear
07-14-2014, 03:03 PM
I use Dropbox or Google Drive mainly for data sharing/collaboration, but they really aren't suitable backup solutions because they essentially mirror your local drive, meaning any local changes will also be made on your dropbox copy. So, if you corrupt/delete/etc. your files and don't realize it within the 30 day time limit (or whatever), you're screwed. I learned this the hard way when a collaborator in China accidentally deleted a folder of key analyses, and I thankfully realized it just a few days before the "restore" option on Dropbox was set to expire.

I'm looking for a dedicated backup solution, which i guess backblaze is

msommers
07-14-2014, 03:19 PM
What about capacities in the 1-2TB range without destroying your wallet?

rage2
07-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Google is pretty good now, at $10/month per TB.

ipeefreely
07-14-2014, 04:59 PM
MS bumped up it's free storage to 1TB for consumer Office 365 subscribers recently.

Onedrive 1TB (http://www.zdnet.com/onedrives-1tb-cloud-storage-the-important-details-7000030865/)

Not sure if this helps or not.... :dunno:

FixedGear
07-14-2014, 05:17 PM
I guess Backblaze has unlimited space and file size