PDA

View Full Version : Anyone rented a server lift in calgary?

nzwasp
07-14-2014, 03:40 PM
where did you get it from?
Ive looked at about 10 different companies via google - cant see any evidence that you can rent them in Calgary.

UndrgroundRider
07-16-2014, 12:37 AM
I've never used one or heard of anyone having one in Calgary. It seems like way more work than it's worth.

nzwasp
07-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Yeah I need one to lift this 400lb router into the rack. Even with 4 guys and an empty chassis, our work wont let us lift it.

Alterac
07-16-2014, 09:15 AM
What sort of router is 400lbs for just the empty chassis?

We have put in fully populated nexus 7010's without many issues. (3 guys).

carson blocks
07-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Does your workplace have a forklift and a good operator?

Alterac
07-16-2014, 09:27 AM
I think the problem is with a colocation facility, they wouldn't let you use a forklift or any of that type of machinery.

A proper server lift would be great if racking tons of equipment.

http://blog.backblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/blog-guido-lift.jpg

Maybe you just need some bigger guys? (considering the demographic of us IT guys, it may actually solve this lifting problem).

mr2mike
07-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Paging Darkane...

nzwasp
07-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Yeah they are nexus 7710. I think fully unloaded of everything they might be 200lbs. But currently we guestimate about 4-500lbs with all the cards, fabric, power supplies, fans etc.

We have two of them. My work wont allow me to lift more than 50lbs even though I do but my backs a bit weak. The other 3 guys I work with arent very beefy. We have our own datacenters and we dont have access to a server lift we also dont have a forklift. and I dont think forklift would fit through the 7ft tall door either.

I contacted rogers rentall which have a mini lift however the arms are only 22" long and I think the nexus is 30+ inches of not evenly distributed weight.

dr_jared88
07-16-2014, 11:22 AM
I didn't realize the chassis was 200lbs. I racked a couple 7010's stacked on top of each other and had no issue lifting it in the rack with a couple guys. That being said, we took out the power supplies, line cards and fabric modules first.

If you are going through the hassle of renting a lift, would it not be worth it and possibly not much more costly to hire someone to rack it?

sputnik
07-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Even with 4 guys and an empty chassis, our work wont let us lift it.

If you have your own data center you should just tell your employer to buy a server lift.

I think the one we have was about $10k and is powered.

nzwasp
07-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

If you have your own data center you should just tell your employer to buy a server lift.

I think the one we have was about $10k and is powered.

Yeah thats not going to happen. Even though we have our own they arent that big. And I think it would just sit in the corner gathering dust most of the time.

most companies might be too cheap to have their own server lift. I work with xtrema. hes been asking for one for years.

mr2mike
07-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Seriously, post this in the fitness section. Two guys, contract them out for $50 each and call it a day. Have them sign away for any liability and done.

speedog
07-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Seriously, post this in the fitness section. Two guys, contract them out for $50 each and call it a day. Have them sign away for any liability and done.
Chances are nzwasp is working in an environment that precludes them from just hiring people on an ad hoc basis.

AndyL
07-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Rogers rent all rents out genie superlifts - same idea but meant for more industrial use (usually HVAC guys)

http://www.genielift.com/en/idc03/groups/webcontent/@web/@awp/documents/web_content/ucm03_032413.jpg

suntan
07-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Maybe phone Q9 and see if they'll rent you one... I know for sure they have them as I've seen them there with my own eyes.

sputnik
07-17-2014, 02:39 PM

Yeah thats not going to happen. Even though we have our own they arent that big. And I think it would just sit in the corner gathering dust most of the time.

most companies might be too cheap to have their own server lift. I work with xtrema. hes been asking for one for years.

Then just rack it on the bottom of the rack.

ipeefreely
07-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Just hire this guy:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MmXI8uEZh6w/U8VTkwNNSmI/AAAAAAAAtU8/4cNU1ebYH1o/w140-h200-no/hohoho.gif

:nut:

thetransporter
07-21-2014, 07:27 PM
well installing UPS on a rack i wish I had one ,i was helping my buddy it took us hours but a Server lift would not fit in a mobile office........

nzwasp
07-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Must of been a beast of a UPS. I install those 60lb Eaton 1500 UPS in racks all the time.

I might look at rogers rent all, although when i contacted them they suggested something that looked like that called a mini lift.

Also carefactor now pivot apparently does data relocation so Im hoping that they will have one i can rent.

e31
07-21-2014, 09:56 PM
I don't know if Carefactor has one. If they had one sitting around their datacentre I probably would have used it to fully populate 6 racks.

Personally, If I were in your shoes I'd bring my engine crane to work. Whatever gets the job done, right?

thetransporter
07-22-2014, 05:25 PM
Must of been a beast of a UPS. I install those 60lb Eaton 1500 UPS in racks all the time.

I might look at rogers rent all, although when i contacted them they suggested something that looked like that called a mini lift.

Also carefactor now pivot apparently does data relocation so Im hoping that they will have one i can rent.

its very difficult in a server rack mounted inside a vehicle you cant access the rear to fasten the rear easily.. we had to make a custom mount.. beats the hell out of me. and it wasnt even the weight as we took out the batteries..