PDA

View Full Version : Donation Request - Friends 3 year old at Children's Hospital

JRSC00LUDE
07-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Guys,

I am throwing a link up here and if anyone would like to toss a few bucks this way that would be great. I've been friends with this family about 18 years now and am just trying to help out a bit.

COLES NOTES - 3 year old is very sick, now must be in Calgary at Children's Hospital, trying to offset associated expenses for the mother as it's likely going to be a long time. They are from here in Saskatoon so as you can imagine, it's a situation that can be quite disruptive to the bank account for many people.

http://www.gofundme.com/bizg0g

Daxton is 3 years old he Has Nephrotic Syndrome , this disease attacks his kidneys. He is very very sick he has had nemerous relapses this year the last one being the worst. He was scheduled to start chemo as soon as he was feeling a little better but this is not happening thing just got worse. Future options may include a transplant if he is well enough to do so.
They now have had no choice but to take him to Calgary childrens hospital. He has been admitted here and they have started treatment. His mother has a non-profit buisness in Saskatoon. They have limited funds for travel food and a vehicle that is not reliable. Any bit helps! Thank You in advance for reading this and thinking about Dax.

Feel free to PM me if you have particular questions or comments, unless they're not productive ones. ;)

FYI - kenny approved!

EDIT JULY 15:

Basically they are in Calgary now because Dax has had too many relapses, so it is necessary to take some drastic steps. It was required to go to the Children's hospital in Calgary where they are properly equipped to deal with Kidney problems in little kids. He has went through a couple days of intense medical procedures and is recuperating nicely so hopefully he will come home soon.

As soon as he has regained his strength from this round it will be time for the next trip back to Calgary, they just aren't equipped to deal with these issues in Saskatoon.

It sounds like they will have to spend a lot of time in Calgary, as well as many trips by car back and forth between treatments, etc.

EDIT JULY 16:

As per the latest updates from the family (I talk to his mom's sister every day), Dax is going home today for awhile!

The treatments over the last several days were able to get his albumin levels up enough to be functional again, as soon as those levels stabilize he will have to start the oral chemo. As long as his is able to take the oral chemo, he can take it at home but there will be several trips back and fort to Calgary for monitoring.

The hopes are to reset his immune system and put his body back into remission for at least a year.

The whole situation is completely unpredictable and can change at the drop of a hat given how unstable his year has been so far. I would personally like to thank each of you who have made an effort to donate funds, it will definately help as these back/forth trips continue over the coming weeks/months.

I can say with certainty that his mother and father are very humbled and appreciative of the help offered by complete strangers.

As conditions change, I will continue to update the thread. :thumbsup:

JRSC00LUDE
07-14-2014, 04:04 PM
And yes, I made a grammatical error in the title! :poosie:

Graham_A_M
07-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Hmmm, would reliable transportation help them at all? if they can drive a manual, They can potentially borrow my car or my other truck. I can take my cruiser to and from the farm potentially.

JRSC00LUDE
07-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Graham, that is pretty kind but I am not sure it's the best option. I think they should be able to rely on family/friends for something that significant to be honest, but a few dollars would definately add up as the expenses aren't going to stop coming in for a long while I suspect.

ganesh
07-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Done.
You are a good man for doing this. Keep it up

JRSC00LUDE
07-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by ganesh
Done.
You are a good man for doing this. Keep it up

Thanks very much ganesh, very kind! :thumbsup:

Toyota Racing
07-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Donated! As someone who has ESRD and is on dialysis i know how hard it is.

Thanks for sharing this! Glad to Help!

Squishy
07-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Donated:)

sr20s14zenki
07-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Donated. Good luck!

nutella
07-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Is the family staying at the Ronald McDonald House? If not, I believe either a social worker or the hospital can do a referral.

ronaldo
07-14-2014, 11:47 PM
pmd

Lex350
07-15-2014, 07:26 AM
Done....this sort of thing hits home. My daughter had surgery 1 week after being born. She spent the next 8 weeks in the Children's. Very stressful time.

CapnCrunch
07-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Donated.

sillysod
07-15-2014, 08:42 AM
donated & shared

Kloubek
07-15-2014, 09:02 AM
Donated - in memory of Nathan O'Brien. One little boy lost his life; let's save another.

Justing
07-15-2014, 10:13 AM
Done.
Best of luck to Daxton!

JRSC00LUDE
07-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Ronaldo, I will reply to your PM shortly, thank you.

And thanks to everyone who has donated, I added a bit more info. at the top of the post as to the situation.

You are all very kind and I can tell you that seeing people who she does not even know make an effort to provide support has Dax's mother feeling very humbled and appreciative.

:thumbsup:

Kloubek
07-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Over 4g raised already! Woot!

bourge73
07-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Donated! All the best lil buddy.

vengie
07-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Donated, best of luck.

Dalking
07-16-2014, 12:01 AM
i cannot afford to give money but how would the kid like a whole bunch of unopened hotwheels??

thinmyster
07-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Donated!

Very sad to see. Hoping for the best!

JRSC00LUDE
07-29-2014, 04:40 PM
Here is a small video clip that was on local news! Thanks to all here who have been so gracious!

http://globalnews.ca/video/1475422/family-battles-illness

:thumbsup:

98brg2d
07-30-2014, 11:07 PM
I have a newborn at Stollery in Edmonton right now (had heart surgery on Monday at 6 days old) so I get to see how many people are not able to provide the type of care and support to their children that they want or should. It is a very worthy cause to help people who are doing the best they can in these situations and still struggling. It is unimaginably difficult to go through this type of situation with travel, moving children around trying to take care of the siblings while still doing what needs to be done at the hospital, getting everybody fed and having enough time and energy to understand and make the best decisions for everybody involved. It makes be sad when people can't get the help they need so this thread makes me very happy to know that at least one person is getting some much needed additional support.