PDA

View Full Version : LF: Lead on Jr. Engineering Technologist Position

sabad66
07-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Hi All,
Seeking some help in finding a Jr. Engineering Technologist position in the O&G industry. The gf has recently graduated from the Chemical Engineering Technology program at SAIT in May, and is looking for a Jr. Technologist position to get started on her career.

She is bright (high 3's GPA) and very eager to learn, but unfortunately it is a fairly tough market right now for Jr roles. Hoping the beyond fam can help out with a lead.

Anyone know of any companies looking to hire freshly graduated Chem Engg Techs, ideally within Calgary?

I am happy to provide a finder's fee with a successful placement. Please PM me with any leads and we can discuss.

Thanks in advance!

Feruk
07-15-2014, 03:52 PM
I suspect she'll have a hard time if she's looking for anything based in Calgary. Field jobs will be easier. Sadly because she did the SAIT diploma instead of a degree, my company wouldn't even look at her without 10 years field experience. One place I'd look is CNRL as I know they hire lots of technologists. But once again... if she's not willing to work a couple years in the field, don't bother. Good luck, sorry to be so pessimistic.

zieg
07-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Has she tried the placement resources SAIT provides? I only have leads on mech and elec atm. :(

schocker
07-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Check here: http://www.mikelaing.com/
and get her to apply at the EPCMs. I have the same diploma and work at an EPCM currently. Lots of producers are also hiring technologists but I haven't seen many jr positions lately, just int to senior with CET + xx years of work.

sabad66
07-15-2014, 05:45 PM
Yes, unfortunately a lot of producers (my company included) won't hire New Grad Techs for office positions... narrows it down quite a bit, but we _are_ in Calgary so i don't think it's hopeless.

Zig, I will get her to look into SAIT placement. Thx for the suggestion.

schocker, that site is wicked! I'm going to pass it along to her and get her to check all of the companies listed there. Thanks a lot. Will owe you one if this works out.

dubhead
07-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Not sure of the needs right now but Enbridge will be looking for more control center operators over the next couple of years with all the expansions going on. They hire pretty heavily from NAIT's Chem Eng Tech program but do hire some from SAIT too. The problem being a need to relocate to Edmonton.

http://jobs.enbridge.com/ca/alberta/control-centre/jobid3259742-control-centre-operator-jobs

I heard through the grapevine Trans Canada was looking for operators too and their control center is in Calgary I believe.

I know my second biggest lead last spring was a Production Technologist spot with Suncor it was at Firebag and was 7/7 fly in and out so still would have been spending plenty of time at home.

One of the first things to come up during my Suncor interview was that my program didn't directly relate to what I would be doing but that was ok because the Manger hiring for the position thought that I could bring a slightly different view point to the team. So make sure she is applying for everything remotely related as you never know where she might find a spot.

schocker
07-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
schocker, that site is wicked! I'm going to pass it along to her and get her to check all of the companies listed there. Thanks a lot. Will owe you one if this works out.
Yeah, it is a great source of O&G places. Also have her check the sait job board, that is how I got my current position, and also ASET has a job board so make sure she is signed up for membership in that. EPCM is a great place to start though as at the smaller sized firms, you can gain lots of experience in many different areas drawing, sizing, procurement, regulatory etc. Also check the job descriptions, as I am a chem engg tech, but I work as a project tech with a similar role as a mech/chem engg, so she might have some knowledge from sait that applies to different positions.

^^I think generally TC wants operators to have some prior experience no? Yeah, as far as I know their control center is one of the floors in their building here

TheOldSkipper
07-28-2014, 11:10 PM
If she's willing to move to/stay in Lloyd, we just posted this:

DeadLink

TheOldSkipper
07-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Also check out:

http://www.lanmarkeng.net/index.php/main/page/jobs