PDA

View Full Version : wii / xbox in car

Gorilla
07-15-2014, 10:51 AM
We are doing a road trip and I have a 2012 Pathfinder. It has a 120V plugin in the back as well. I wanted to keep the kids busy buy hooking up a computer monitor and wii or xbox.

Anyone do this before? what size inverter did you get?
Does the wii take less power than xbox?

Nufy
07-15-2014, 11:13 AM
You probably wont have the required wattage on that one outlet to run both.

Your owners manual should list the recommended load for the plug if it is not written on the plug itself.

The monitor should have a wattage rating as well.

Definitely separate the console and monitor when pluggin them in as well.

03ozwhip
07-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Just get an 800 watt inverter, that's plenty enough and hook it up to the battery, that will be fine, I did it back in the day with my ps2.

pheoxs
07-15-2014, 01:16 PM
The typical car 120V is only rated for 100W ish which won't be enough for the xbox and monitor. You can get an actual inverter at Canadian tire for pretty cheap. A ~500W or more would suffice.

As for the computer monitor you can do that if it either had an hdmi input or you get a hdmi to DVI converter. Plus you need headphones/speakers then. A small TV might be easier.

bjstare
07-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Something you should probably note, is that if it's an xbox 360, I almost guarantee the discs get wrecked when you're driving and they're playing. If you even move the console a little bit on the living room floor while the disc is spinning it can scratch it very badly - there's almost no clearance between the laser mechanism and the disc on a 360.

sputnik
07-15-2014, 01:50 PM
http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/gameboy-inline1.jpg

woodywoodford
07-15-2014, 02:05 PM
I don't know if you're planning to buy a system just for this, but a Wii U is perfect - you don't even need a TV for most single player, it can all be done on the gamepad so just plug into the inverter and good to go.

MGCM
07-15-2014, 02:08 PM
tablet with a bunch of kids games on it? probably easier/cheeper than trying rig up a console in the pathfinder. They are super cheep these days for smaller ones and if u wanted a larger one kijiji always has tons for sale. I can usually find a few BNIB for less than retail from ppl who win them in contests but already have a tablet, the wonders of kijiji:thumbsup:

codetrap
07-15-2014, 02:09 PM
I saw a tablet at costco for under $200... seemed pretty nice.