PDA

View Full Version : $35k Tesla = 2017!

flipstah
07-16-2014, 01:37 PM
The time has come folks!

“Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk has exclusively revealed to Auto Express plans for a new electric BMW 3 Series rival, including its name – Tesla Model III. There were rumours that a new smaller Tesla was to be called Model E, but in one of his most candid interviews yet, Musk revealed why he had to have a rethink on the name. “We had the model S for sedan and X for crossover SUV, then a friend asked what we were going to call the third car,” Musk told us. “So I said we had the model S and X, we might as well have the E.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcneal/2014/07/16/a-35000-tesla-model-iii-is-coming-in-2017/

===

The gamechanger automobile, the Model T of our time, is coming in a couple of years. I'm excited for this!

A790
07-16-2014, 01:42 PM
YUSSSSSSSSSS! :bigpimp:

Darkane
07-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Wouldn't call it the model T of our time, but this will drive internal combustion technology and price to its limits. I'm excited for THAT.

flipstah
07-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Wouldn't call it the model T of our time, but this will drive internal combustion technology and price to its limits. I'm excited for THAT.

Well, the Model T of our time in terms of impact. It's definitely the gamechanger that the automotive industry needs.

n1zm0
07-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Musk also confirmed that he expected the new car to have a realistic range of over 200 miles with strong performance, like the Model S.

Already seeing quite a few Model Ss around, plus my SOs coworker having one and listening everytime we get together how much he loves that thing, I can see this being a pretty big hit in our city if it can do just over 300 kms on a charge.

schocker
07-16-2014, 02:20 PM
If you build a car on the telsa website though, you will realize that everything is an option so you would never get one for that price :D

flipstah
07-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by schocker
If you build a car on the telsa website though, you will realize that everything is an option so you would never get one for that price :D

That's the same for ANY car. No one ever gets a basic 3-series haha.

Sugarphreak
07-16-2014, 02:35 PM

flipstah
07-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Useless cars

I was in Vancouver at the Tesla showroom chatting with them last week, she was really trying to sell how much money I would save if I had a Tesla to drive back to Calgary... I was biting my tounge, but I finally said it; "Sure I won't have to pay for any gas... but with my gas guzzler I will get to Calgary in a single day, whereas the Tesla forces me to stop and probably rent a hotel for the night, plus pay for additional meals on the road... and then there is that missed day of work which is frankly far more than a tank of gas"

She left me alone after that

A Tesla right now, is purely a city car. I remember when I went to the Portland Tesla showroom, a salesman was showing me how they went from Portland to Banff in a Model S. It was a week vacation filled with stopovers!

You can hit Calgary to Portland in 13hrs haha.

Keep an open mind and as technology advances, then you'll remember this as the past.

Internal combustion engines were the same way back then.

supe
07-16-2014, 02:43 PM
A Tesla is like comparing a smart phone to a dumb phone. Those dumb phones use to last days maybe even weeks, but Tesla's are positioning themselves to be better vehicles.

Once the superchargers get built between Van and Calgary you'll be able to travel for FREE. Thats a big paradigm shift.

schocker
07-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
That's the same for ANY car. No one ever gets a basic 3-series haha.
The options are like porsche options though. The base is $63k US, loaded is $120k :eek:

Will this miniature electric car have AWD? Would make for an awesome commuter/winter beater then.

Darkane
07-16-2014, 02:57 PM

A Tesla right now, is purely a city car. I remember when I went to the Portland Tesla showroom, a salesman was showing me how they went from Portland to Banff in a Model S. It was a week vacation filled with stopovers!

You can hit Calgary to Portland in 13hrs haha.

Keep an open mind and as technology advances, then you'll remember this as the past.

Internal combustion engines were the same way back then.

Flip as a car enthusiast, do you see this as a good or bad thing for your love of cars? Explain.

You seem fairly pro-electric.

flipstah
07-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Flip as a car enthusiast, do you see this as a good or bad thing for your love of cars? Explain.

You seem fairly pro-electric.

I'm pro-technology.

An electric car offers massive torque, which is 99% of the fun of having a car (IMO).

Granted, having more technology involved will make maintenance in the long run difficult but I see this as a catalyst for special gas cars to appreciate even more.

Internal combustion won't disappear if oil is still relatively profitable to get. Oil will never 'run out'; just more expensive to produce. When that time comes, hopefully the market moves on to a cheaper, dependable, more profitable alternative.

I see it as 'passing the torch'.

As an enthusiast, it'll make me appreciate the more simple things in life, like a car built from the 80s-90s when the most 'technologically advanced' thing in a car is ABS lol.

Having a mass-produced, affordable electric car will satisfy majority of the world and leave the fun stuff for us. :bigpimp:

ExtraSlow
07-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Granted, having more technology involved will make maintenance in the long run difficult but I see this as a catalyst for special gas cars to appreciate even more.
Electric motors are typically very low maintence items. True this car is currently "high tech" but if it truly becomes mainstream, I could see EV's requiring much lower overall maintenence than anything with a combustion engine.

flipstah
07-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Electric motors are typically very low maintence items. True this car is currently "high tech" but if it truly becomes mainstream, I could see EV's requiring much lower overall maintenence than anything with a combustion engine.

Correct.

The motor itself is like an R/C car but bigger in scale (correct me if I'm wrong, please):

http://www.mpoweruk.com/images/brushless.gif

Way less parts than a combustion engine. I meant the add-ons like driving aids, nav, electric steering, etc.

Mibz
This thread title is fucking awful.

Darkane

I'm pro-technology.

An electric car offers massive torque, which is 99% of the fun of having a car (IMO).

Internal combustion won't disappear if oil is still relatively profitable to get. Oil will never 'run out'; just more expensive to produce. When that time comes, hopefully the market moves on to a cheaper, dependable, more profitable alternative.

I see it as 'passing the torch'.

As an enthusiast, it'll make me appreciate the more simple things in life, like a car built from the 80s-90s when the most 'technologically advanced' thing in a car is ABS lol.

Having a mass-produced, affordable electric car will satisfy majority of the world and leave the fun stuff for us. :bigpimp:

Hopefully. The IC engine is here to stay for our lifetimes, so that's cool.

In the last 150 years humanity has come along MUCH further than expected. See 1000 years before that.

Is it a snowball effect of Technology? Aliens? Where's that crazy Greek uncle of mine and his Hair? Lol

Now I'm changing the subject :poosie:

flipstah
07-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
This thread title is fucking awful.

YOU SHUT YOUR BEAUTIFUL FACE.

Darkane
07-16-2014, 04:01 PM

Correct.

The motor itself is like an R/C car but bigger in scale (correct me if I'm wrong, please):

http://www.mpoweruk.com/images/brushless.gif

Way less parts than a combustion engine. I meant the add-ons like driving aids, nav, electric steering, etc.

Less moving parts than a conventional engine? I've heard of something similiar...

Wait did it rhyme with Wanker? Vanwinkle? Something like that ;)

flipstah
07-16-2014, 04:07 PM

Less moving parts than a conventional engine? I've heard of something similiar...

Wait did it rhyme with Wanker? Vanwinkle? Something like that ;)

I don't know much about Wankel engines to comment (never owned one). Theoretically, they should be more reliable because of lesser parts.

I do know that they burn through oil like a mofo but that's just part of the design.

Tik-Tok
07-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by supe

Once the superchargers get built between Van and Calgary you'll be able to travel for FREE. Thats a big paradigm shift.

For a couple of years until the government starts losing money on fuel taxes.

CanmoreOrLess
07-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Useless cars

I was in Vancouver at the Tesla showroom chatting with them last week, she was really trying to sell how much money I would save if I had a Tesla to drive back to Calgary... I was biting my tounge, but I finally said it; "Sure I won't have to pay for any gas... but with my gas guzzler I will get to Calgary in a single day, whereas the Tesla forces me to stop and probably rent a hotel for the night, plus pay for additional meals on the road... and then there is that missed day of work which is frankly far more than a tank of gas"

She left me alone after that

She should have told you to move to Ontario or Quebec and save $8,000 from the provincial governments. She was making so much sense. These cars are right now for someone who has as a choice every morning as to which of his three plus cars he shall drive into the city. And that is fine, ask any Lambo or Hummer owner.

MGCM
07-16-2014, 04:32 PM
bottom line, u will NEVER be able to rely on this in -40C, and if my bones recall recorrectly we have had windchills that cold several times over the past few winters.........you would still need a "winter beater":dunno:

Tik-Tok
07-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
bottom line, u will NEVER be able to rely on this in -40C, and if my bones recall recorrectly we have had windchills that cold several times over the past few winters.........you would still need a "winter beater":dunno:

-30 with -40 windchill is still only -30 to a non-organic item. Windchill will only drop it's temperature to -30 faster.

They'll still be reliable for city driving, but you'll see FAR less range.

sputnik
07-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

-30 with -40 windchill is still only -30 to a non-organic item. Windchill will only drop it's temperature to -30 faster.

They'll still be reliable for city driving, but you'll see FAR less range.

In 5 or so years when battery technology improves and the range of EVs double it will be a non-issue.

Also if you are going from your garage to indoor parking at work it is even less of an issue since you car will already be warm before you unplug it and leave for the office.

finboy
07-16-2014, 09:42 PM
does it make noise yet? if not - don't care :dunno:

Sugarphreak
07-16-2014, 10:09 PM

heavyD
07-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

For a couple of years until the government starts losing money on fuel taxes.

Yeah in the long run this won't save consumers much money as governments will recoup lost income by taxing electricity further but it will reduce green house gas emissions.

Mibz
07-16-2014, 11:09 PM
....um You gonna claim the 3rd car is your wifes again?

Sugarphreak
07-17-2014, 06:51 AM

flipstah
07-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
You gonna claim the 3rd car is your wifes again?

Mrs. Sugarphreak seems to be the cooler one out of the two.

Sugarphreak
07-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Mitsu3000gt
07-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Would these be viable in Calgary with our 3-4 months of -15 to -30 temps? Seems like that would absolutely destroy the range.

A790
07-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Would these be viable in Calgary with our 3-4 months of -15 to -30 temps? Seems like that would absolutely destroy the range.
Depends what you intend to use it for I guess. I'd buy one in a heartbeat as my daily round-trip drive in winter is around 30 km.

flipstah
07-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by A790

Depends what you intend to use it for I guess. I'd buy one in a heartbeat as my daily round-trip drive in winter is around 30 km.

Heated parking in winter? I'd be worried about starting issues if left outside.

ExtraSlow
07-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Electric motors work fine in cold temps, but battery performance may be affected.
Still if nominal range is 300km, and normal commute is 30 km, I don't think it'll be an issue.

azian.advanced
07-17-2014, 01:15 PM
take into account the heater is electric... that means instant heat!

i also just found out about their battery swaps at tesla (supercharger) stations:http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap

not bad tesla..

sputnik
07-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by azian.advanced

i also just found out about their battery swaps at tesla (supercharger) stations:http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap

not bad tesla..

Really cool. Apparently the battery swap at a station is about $60-80.

So I guess there goes the theory that owning an EV is bad because somewhere down the road you will have to replace the batteries at a huge cost.

Mibz
07-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by azian.advanced

not bad tesla.. This is the first time that Tesla has actually wowed me. Addressing one of those fundamental electric problems like this is pretty fucking nifty.

msommers
07-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Free charging stations? Who's paying for the construction of these stations?

For a city car and short travel, I'm completely on board with getting one of these. They're loaded very nicely and from reviews handle quite well. In terms of reliability of parts and overall quality of construction, has there been much consensus?

flipstah
07-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by msommers

For a city car and short travel, I'm completely on board with getting one of these. They're loaded very nicely and from reviews handle quite well. In terms of reliability of parts and overall quality of construction, has there been much consensus?

I can see this working as a franchise setup and then consumers pay the battery swap.

Sugarphreak
07-17-2014, 03:02 PM

flipstah
07-17-2014, 03:03 PM

I think it is like any service station... the real profit is in the pop and chips, not the gas you buy

I'd love to built an attached store or cafe to a charging station where rich motorists are held captive for 20 minutes while they recharge, haha.

I could see restaurants looking to franchise side-by-side,

"Eh it's lunchtime anyways."

supe
07-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Elon owns a big share of Solar City so guess where the power for these many of these superchargers come from, apparently the solar enabled stations come out net positive in power. The cost for the construction for these are built into the price of the vehicles. For the lower end models you actually have to pay 2k for the privilege of using the superchargers. So lets call the cost for the construction a wash, the real kicker will be if another car maker signs on to Tesla's charging station, which happens to now be the worlds largest. It's been confirmed that Tesla has been meeting with both Nissan and BMW.

I think it is like any service station... the real profit is in the pop and chips, not the gas you buy

I'd love to built an attached store or cafe to a charging station where rich motorists are held captive for 20 minutes while they recharge, haha.

If they are willing to throw away 100K on an electric car, then they will easily throw away 10$ for a latte!

Nah, all superchargers are unmanned however your idea of adding an electric charger onto your business is very real and some are already doing it.

Tik-Tok
07-17-2014, 04:45 PM
All they need now is an inductive charging pad, so you don't even have to plug in, just park in your garage.

azian.advanced
07-18-2014, 05:15 AM
Inductive charging would probably take a really long time to charge. I don't think we can get 120 gigawatts of wireless charging anytime soon, but would be an interesting concept if it's made possible.

I'm looking forward to Tesla's gigafactory construction and battery research as it may one day mean that range will no longer be an issue compared to gasoline engines and maybe even smartphones will last a week on a single charge.

16hypen3sp
07-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Please consider the following:

Electric vehicles are fine and dandy... they have their uses.

However, it needs to be said that (I'm no mathematician - maybe I shouldn't speculate) while you would save money on fuel, the same amount or maybe even more would be spent on electricity. Alberta needs to go back to full regulation of the electricity market. And we all know about market manipulation.

Secondly, Alberta electricity infrastructure would need a HUGE improvement in this province. There have been rolling blackouts in the past on hot summer days... imagine a population with electric cars charging on top of that.

Thirdly, parkade garages/parking lots already charge just for a place to park your car. They won't give out huge amounts of electricity for free.

Lastly, if everyone does eventually switch to electric, who will the enviro-nuts go after then. I know... Coal... In their on-going witch hunt to go green as can be and make the price as high as they can.

Just my thoughts... maybe I'm wrong. :dunno:

msommers
07-18-2014, 04:27 PM
No enviro-nutjobs will go after the metal mining companies, saying their tailing ponds will destroy us all (even though they exist now and never get news coverage unless it's Hungry).

Market manipulation is something I hadn't really considered, good point.

FraserB
07-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

However, it needs to be said that (I'm no mathematician - maybe I shouldn't speculate) while you would save money on fuel, the same amount or maybe even more would be spent on electricity.

Tesla has already stated charging will be free across their network. You'll only pay if you charge outside a Tesla charge station.

Tik-Tok
07-18-2014, 06:00 PM

Thirdly, parkade garages/parking lots already charge just for a place to park your car. They won't give out huge amounts of electricity for free.

They are like smart cars, meant for city driving. Why would you need to charge your car while downtown shopping? That's what home is for.

That being said, last week in Maui I saw two spots in a shopping plaza for electric vehicles to plug in for free, and electricity down there is 38c a kw/h!

http://urbanhonolulu.hawaiinewsnow.com/news/382413-volta-industries-opens-its-first-electric-vehicle-stations-maui

supe
07-18-2014, 06:13 PM

However, it needs to be said that (I'm no mathematician - maybe I shouldn't speculate) while you would save money on fuel, the same amount or maybe even more would be spent on electricity. Alberta needs to go back to full regulation of the electricity market. And we all know about market manipulation.

Secondly, Alberta electricity infrastructure would need a HUGE improvement in this province. There have been rolling blackouts in the past on hot summer days... imagine a population with electric cars charging on top of that.

Lastly, if everyone does eventually switch to electric, who will the enviro-nuts go after then. I know... Coal... In their on-going witch hunt to go green as can be and make the price as high as they can.

Just my thoughts... maybe I'm wrong. :dunno:

You're way off, people are seeing a 'fuel' savings of 75%, electricity is cheaper by far. This is partially contributed to the fact that electric vehicles are more efficient than internal combustion engines.

Regarding parkade, you will never charge outside of home unless you're on a road trip.

Your second and last points are valid but they won't be show stoppers. The biggest hindrance will be the cold weather as others have noted however Tesla's are proving well in Norway which is one of Tesla's biggest markets.

Tik-Tok
07-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by supe
however Tesla's are proving well in Norway which is one of Tesla's biggest markets.

I wish people would stop using Norway as the "proof" of cold weather operations. Most of it is coastal, which won't see -30 often (if ever). I somehow doubt the tiny hamlets up in the mountains, where it does get REALLY cold are seeing many Teslas.