PDA

View Full Version : Best DIY barbecued chicken.

Seth1968
07-16-2014, 04:23 PM
- Boil the chicken pieces to 165 F. This will prevent the dreaded bbq flames which will ruin dark meat chicken.

- When filling the pot, add your choice of liquid goodness. This gets the flavor deep into the meat. I use a combination of Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing sauce and Sriracha.

- Toss the chicken parts in whatever sauce you want.

- BBQ at 300 F until golden brown on each side.

BTW-

Ever bought the "store brand" cooked chicken pieces? Given the shitty taste and texture, I'm thinking it's the chicken pieces that were about to expire. They just flavor the shit out of it, cook it, then sell it at a discounted price.

Cooked Rice
07-16-2014, 11:51 PM
So boil chicken then throw it on the grill? :dunno:

turbotrip
07-17-2014, 12:57 AM
^lol I'm a little bit confused too at this thread

WhippWhapp
07-17-2014, 03:11 AM
Ummmmm no.

Indirect heat, lump hardwood charcoal, bone in meat (thighs), Jack Daniel's wood chips.

Your choice of marinade or rub, (best to let sit overnight).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/grilled-citrus-marinated-chicken-thighs-recipe.html

This one of my favorite's- I add fresh thyme, rosemary, sage and minced garlic DO NOT USE DRIED SPICE!

Seriously, if someone served me boiled chicken...

n1zm0
07-17-2014, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
- Boil the chicken pieces to 165 F. This will prevent the dreaded bbq flames which will ruin dark meat chicken.

wat, just brine the chicken pieces overnight in whatever water/salt/seasoning if you really want to do this water thing. If you cook something low and slow enough, there won't be flames :dunno:

Boil chicken then bbq it... blasphemy.

ercchry
07-17-2014, 07:08 AM
:rofl: wow.... just wow

indirect, low and slow... then a couple minutes over the flames to crisp them up at the end. im not going to tell you how to season them though, cause thats all personal choice....

ExtraSlow
07-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Agree that it's insane to boil the chicken first. Terrible idea Seth.

http://i.qkme.me/35e080.jpg

01RedDX
07-17-2014, 07:40 AM

drtoohotty1
07-17-2014, 07:45 AM
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Best ever no boiling needed

lilmira
07-17-2014, 07:47 AM
I marinate my chicken with salt and mustard overnight. Put some rub on before I put the bird on the rotisserie. Feed it some smoke for 30-45min, however long the smoke lasts. Then fire up the backburner on low, brush it with some fruit juice to keep the skin moist every 20min or so. About 10-15 min before the bird is done, brush it with a final coat of BBQ sauce. Crank up the heat a bit to finish it up. Take it out and let it rest for 10-15min. Boom! Chicken so juicy! :drool:

ExtraSlow
07-17-2014, 07:55 AM
Am I the only one who "fast" grills the chickens? No marinade/brine, no beer-butt, a simple mild rub, put it on an unheated grill on medium, takes less than 20 minutes to get to an internal temp juuust under 165. Take it off, prep the rest of the plates (maybe eight-ten minutes) and the carve. Juicy as hell, tastes like chicken, I'm a happy guy.

dirtsniffer
07-17-2014, 08:11 AM
i'll grill chicken breast with some bbq sauce, get it a little caramelized. om nom nom

girl friend likes poached chicken breast; it is actually pretty good in things like salads or fajitas.

whole chicken I don't have much experience with.

Strider
07-17-2014, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Am I the only one who "fast" grills the chickens? No marinade/brine, no beer-butt, a simple mild rub, put it on an unheated grill on medium, takes less than 20 minutes to get to an internal temp juuust under 165. Take it off, prep the rest of the plates (maybe eight-ten minutes) and the carve. Juicy as hell, tastes like chicken, I'm a happy guy.

I'll do that with a spatchcocked chicken occasionally, never started with a cold grill though. I'll give that a try next time, I assume that helps with flareups?

I'm partial to brined & rotisseried on the infrared burner though, with some wood chips for some smoke. :drool:

ExtraSlow
07-17-2014, 08:41 AM
I do like to start with a chicken that has warmed up to room temp, and is patted as dry as possible too.

Using a good chicken helps a lot, although you can still get some very tasty results with the safeway birds.

mr2mike
07-17-2014, 08:45 AM
BdmySY9Qiqo

yellowsnow
07-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Beer can chicken.. So moist and tender and full of flavor

legendboy
07-17-2014, 09:17 AM
I like to do chicken on my bbq rotisserie. Salt, pepper and a bit of oil on the outside. Stuff the inside with poultry blend fresh herbs

You can also boil a lemon for 10 mins and poke a bunch of holes in it and stuff that inside :thumbsup:

ercchry
07-17-2014, 09:35 AM
I do like to start with a chicken that has warmed up to room temp, and is patted as dry as possible too.

Using a good chicken helps a lot, although you can still get some very tasty results with the safeway birds.

that sounds fucking dangerous...

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_letting_meat_come_to_room_temp.html

Originally posted by yellowsnow

also... can be dangerous

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html

btw, explore that site... its great

Disoblige
07-17-2014, 10:31 AM
The only time I put meat in water is when I make soup or stock.

ExtraSlow
07-17-2014, 10:43 AM
OK, maybe not all the way up to room temp, but I will leave it on the counter for an hour or so while I do the prep on the rest of my meal.

sputnik
07-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by yellowsnow

Waste of beer.

Steaming your chicken with beer doesn't make it more juicy, tender or flavorful.

ercchry
07-17-2014, 10:49 AM
OK, maybe not all the way up to room temp, but I will leave it on the counter for an hour or so while I do the prep on the rest of my meal.

i guess since you just straight up bbq it its not a big deal, but if you are going to add smoke, a cold piece of meat will hold a lot more than a warm one.

for me IF i actually plan ahead with a full bird, it will get a brine overnight, then wash it off and put on a dry rub, then in the fridge all day, get the webber up to a steady 225, add a couple chunks of wood and the bird (with a water pan under it) cook it indirectly till the right internal temp is reached and then toss it over the fire to crisp it up. usually dont bother with full chickens though, thats pretty rare. but turkey... :drool:

you will usually find me cooking thighs if im doing chicken

Seth1968
07-17-2014, 11:46 AM
I boiled them first because it prevented the flaming (mainly thighs). This is on a typical gas grill.

I then bbq'd them on low heat just to get that bbq flavor.

So what exactly is the problem with that?:)

BTW- Thanks for the other ideas.

ercchry
07-17-2014, 11:59 AM
I boiled them first because it prevented the flaming (mainly thighs). This is on a typical gas grill.

I then bbq'd them on low heat just to get that bbq flavor.

So what exactly is the problem with that?:)

BTW- Thanks for the other ideas.

turn one burner off, and the other up a bit, problem solved, put food over the unlit area

lilmira
07-17-2014, 12:06 PM
You'll lose the fat by boiling meat, fat carries a lot of flavour. Now you have some tasty chicken broth. If flaring is your concern, use indirect heat and a drip pan. If you like to wear yoga pants, boil your lean meat, I prefer to eat like a greasy caveman, give me my fat!

Seth1968
07-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks again for those ideas. I'll try the indirect heat method next time.

Maybe I'm not noticing any natural flavour change between my methods, as I marinate the heck out of them.

lilmira
07-17-2014, 12:34 PM
A generous amount of BBQ sauce will hide the lack of meat flavour. You have to question if you are only tasting the BBQ sauce. It's the same with ribs when people short-cut by boiling them first and then drench them with a shit ton of BBQ sauce. It works if you don't really care.

Seth1968
07-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Ok, so what of my idea of boiling them in a marinate? My 2 thoughts about the idea were that it would prevent flaming (solution given already), and allow the marinate to really soak into the meat.

I confirmed the latter, but maybe it's some sort of placebo effect, or my lame thought is meaningless as the test chicken didn't come from the same store.

EDIT- Maybe just soak them in marinate? That is, a marinate not nearly as thick as a marinate right out of the bottle.

ercchry
07-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Ok, so what of my idea of boiling them in a marinate? My 2 thoughts about the idea were that it would prevent flaming (solution given already), and allow the marinate to really soak into the meat.

I confirmed the latter, but maybe it's some sort of placebo effect, or my lame thought is meaningless as the test chicken didn't come from the same store.

EDIT- Maybe just soak them in marinate? That is, a marinate not nearly as thick as a marinate right out of the bottle.

everything you need to know

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/zen_of_marinades.html

"Marinades are primarily a surface treatment, especially on thicker cuts. Only the salt penetrates deep. Period. End of story."

Seth1968
07-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Well that settles it. My idea sucked.

I'm going to bbq my head now:)

lilmira
07-17-2014, 01:01 PM
There is nothing wrong with SLOW cooking meat in a flavourful bath, still not boiling but you wouldn't call it BBQ.

You can boil meat if you want to fully breakdown the meat but that's something else.

Yuubah
07-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Waste of beer.

Steaming your chicken with beer doesn't make it more juicy, tender or flavorful.

you're doing it wrong then. i definately get the flavor into the chicken. i just use half a can, dump in some other spices and herbs in the can, stuff it in the cavity, and let it roast.

then use the leftover juices in the can and make gravy

:drool:

hurrdurr
07-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Nah. You convinced yourself of that.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm

Yuubah
07-17-2014, 03:05 PM
:dunno: probably the gravy that makes it delicious :drool: