PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Mazda 2

MGCM
07-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Thats pretty hawt yo:eek:

http://m.autoblog.com/2014/07/17/2015-mazda-mazda2-videos-official/?post=1&icid=autoblog_river_article

Canucks3322
07-20-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm thinking my next vehicle will be a new subcompact will have to wait and see what it looks like in person though. ..

MGCM
07-21-2014, 09:01 AM
PLEASE Mazda, make a Speed2 Version of this new hawt Mazda 2!!!!!!!!

DeleriousZ
07-21-2014, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by MGCM

would need to be a pretty great offering if it wants to compete with the fiesta st. Can't get enough sporty sub compacts though, things are moving in the right direction!

ExtraSlow
07-21-2014, 09:16 AM
Offereing the diesel engine in this would be a pretty compelling package.

MGCM
07-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

would need to be a pretty great offering if it wants to compete with the fiesta st. Can't get enough sporty sub compacts though, things are moving in the right direction!

To be able to compete with the Fiesta ST would be great for Mazda, they need something a little more sporty and fun that caters more to the category of fun/fast hawt hatch. IMHO it already looks better than the Fiesta ST from the pics anyway, all it needs is 200+bhp and its golden.

heavyD
07-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Looks like a buggy the way the rear end is cut off.

heavyD
07-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by MGCM

I don't think Mazda has the resources to make a little 1.6L turbo engine just for this application. It's tough to compete with Ford who has the resources to spin out 1.6L, 2.0L, and 2.3L ecoboost engines for their numerous applications. We will be lucky to see another MS3 as currently there's no engine for that as it's doubtful they will carry on with the 2.3L DISI engine to which development has been discontinued. Even Subaru doesn't have the resources to come out with a new 2.5L turbo engine for the STI.

xnvy
07-21-2014, 10:03 AM
^Yeah they're both very small companies in comparison to Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi etc.

I liked the previous ones styling more. Looked happy. This 2 looks like a pissed off tween. Sounds like it will be a good car though. Hopefully the MX5 escapes the Kodo styling.

flipstah
07-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

I don't think Mazda has the resources to make a little 1.6L turbo engine just for this application. It's tough to compete with Ford who has the resources to spin out 1.6L, 2.0L, and 2.3L ecoboost engines for their numerous applications. We will be lucky to see another MS3 as currently there's no engine for that as it's doubtful they will carry on with the 2.3L DISI engine to which development has been discontinued. Even Subaru doesn't have the resources to come out with a new 2.5L turbo engine for the STI.

That sucks to hear. Looks like the Fiesta ST is top contender so far in that class.

I can't think of another one besides the Abarth and that's meh in comparison to a Fiesta ST.

MGCM
07-21-2014, 10:27 AM

Maybe a good move for them is to leave the MS3 off the table and try to focus on getting back into the hot hatch market with a new MS2. Im not saying your wrong, but I prefer to be hopeful that Mazda will make us proud and make a MS2.

Sugarphreak
07-21-2014, 12:28 PM

Strider
07-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
but Ford owns Mazda

Where did this weird idea come from, and why does it keep perpetuating?

The highest Ford's stake in Mazda has ever been was 33.4%. Since 2010, it's been only 3.5%.

MGCM
07-21-2014, 01:56 PM

An R-Type Fit would be something to get excited about IMO

say the new civic turbo powerplant in a Fit.....that would be hawtness!!!!

n1zm0
07-23-2014, 02:09 PM
but Ford owns Mazda so I don't see why they would want to compete with them on it until the market expands.

Ford only has 2% ownership shares on Mazda now, they definitely don't own Mazda anymore either but share some tech together iirc, you can see that most of their current lineup (all this KODO styling branded stuff) is built from the ground up in-house by themselves except some still use Ford platforms but that's about it, none of the Mazdas are built in North America anymore either (with the exception of American Mazda3s built in Mexico), all moved manufacturing back to Japan.

edit: on a side note, I saw an old man boot it in his Fiesta ST this weekend, those things are quick!

Darkane
07-23-2014, 02:55 PM

I thought I read Mazda is developing a 1.5L-T for the re-design of the next gen miata, or something like that.

New Miata specs to be announced Sept6th, I believe the first couple years are still going to be Skyactive NA engine in the Miata, then transition to a turbo. No better way to test it out in a new MS2.

That said, mazda is quite surprising me lately. If they do an updated 2L DI skyactive for the Miata, it'll be 180Hp-ish, AND 200 lbs lighter (total car).

They may just go cheap and put the 2.5L current skyactive in there and it may be seriously fun with almost 200 ft/lbs torque lol.